PDA

View Full Version : What was your prep of the day?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

bigwheel
12-22-2022, 04:32 PM
I make near all my tinctures using 151 Rum. Its cheaper than everclear works just as well and dont taste bad to put a little in the ho made ginger champagne. I get the stuff with a pretty girl on the front from Coasta Rikka. Cost less than 12 bucks a fith at the likker store. Double Checked. Im addicted to Calpyso brand and am madly in love iwth the pretty Senorita on the label.
https://drizly.com/liquor/rum/gold-rum/calypso-gold-151/p70932

SOCOM42
12-22-2022, 04:40 PM
Did you forget to top off propane, or do you have a slow leak or bad valve?

He probably has a slow leak and the tank is just empty! LOL.

BucketBack
12-22-2022, 05:19 PM
Christmas ham from Meijer best by 2/10/23 was a slimeball, so we went back to another town in the snow for another ham.

They had beer and special, so I topped off our supplies

Slippy
12-22-2022, 05:40 PM
Did you forget to top off propane, or do you have a slow leak or bad valve?

He probably has a slow leak and the tank is just empty! LOL.
No leaks!

My dumbass simply took 2 perfectly good empty or near-empty tanks, filled them up and didn't put them back in the camper! So on the way home, I bought 2 more tanks, filled them and installed them in the camper for next trip!

We'll be camping at Son2's house for Christmas Day! Thank the Lord he installed a 30 amp RV outlet so I can hook up in his driveway! Could get cold! :bigthumbup:

TJC44
12-22-2022, 06:01 PM
You had enough anti-freeze in you by that time, the cold wouldn't have matterred. (BTW, 27 ISN'T cold. Had 11 here this AM). The realization of the situation still sucks.
On a brighter note, I'll bet son2 will NOT be disconnecting your water!

Inor
12-22-2022, 06:42 PM
Inor
Does Mrs. Inor use a certain proof for all her recipes or does you us a variety of proofs of EverClear?

I don't think she waters it down any... I say "think", because I have never paid much attention to it other than picking up the EverClear for her. (They always look at me a little weird when I go into the stop-and-rob and buy a case of EverClear.)

T-Man 1066
12-22-2022, 07:14 PM
No leaks!

My dumbass simply took 2 perfectly good empty or near-empty tanks, filled them up and didn't put them back in the camper! So on the way home, I bought 2 more tanks, filled them and installed them in the camper for next trip!

We'll be camping at Son2's house for Christmas Day! Thank the Lord he installed a 30 amp RV outlet so I can hook up in his driveway! Could get cold! :bigthumbup:

Well, now you got extra tanks! They may come in handy!

I picked up a third forklift tank, #44 IIRC. Need to buy or make an adapter so I could run either the grill or a Mr. Buddy heater off them...

SOCOM42
12-22-2022, 07:58 PM
No leaks!

Look again! You missed it!!!

SOCOM42
12-22-2022, 08:02 PM
Well, now you got extra tanks! They may come in handy!

I picked up a third forklift tank, #44 IIRC. Need to buy or make an adapter so I could run either the grill or a Mr. Buddy heater off them...

Take a look here for the parts, can match up a couple and or Mickey Mouse them.

https://www.propaneproducts.com/parts-fittings-hoses-35-1.html

Piratesailor
12-23-2022, 09:46 AM
Prepped the house, property and animals for something that doesn’t happen often… extreme cold (for us at least). Dropped to 17 with a windchill of zero. Genset hooked up and ready in case of power failure (thankfully power stayed on), extra hay and feed for the horses in the barn to keep them out of the wind, chickens nice and warm. Was prepared for a few days without power but it worked out.

The damn dogs wanted to go out and play though.. never said they were smart.

BucketBack
12-24-2022, 11:58 AM
I don't think she waters it down any... I say "think", because I have never paid much attention to it other than picking up the EverClear for her. (They always look at me a little weird when I go into the stop-and-rob and buy a case of EverClear.)

That would be "rookie" status amongst MeatChix HillBiggers

StratBastard
01-02-2023, 09:58 PM
I ordered some fish antibiotics. As most of you know, the "Fish Mox" made at Thomas Labs stopped being distributed. Every site out of stock, likely permanently. I found another brand which claims to be the same stuff and ordered it because (shocker) it was in stock. I'll let you guys know if it's Thomas Labs stuff.

https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/about-fish-antibiotics

StratBastard
01-06-2023, 09:48 PM
I ordered some fish antibiotics. As most of you know, the "Fish Mox" made at Thomas Labs stopped being distributed. Every site out of stock, likely permanently. I found another brand which claims to be the same stuff and ordered it because (shocker) it was in stock. I'll let you guys know if it's Thomas Labs stuff.

https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/about-fish-antibiotics

I got the Amox 500 today. It is made by Sandoz Inc. out of NJ. They market these same pills to humans as AMOX 500, same code GG 849.

https://www.drugs.com/imprints/amox-500-gg-849-6010.html

Purchase at: https://fishmoxfishflex.com/

Inor
01-06-2023, 11:02 PM
I got the Amox 500 today. It is made by Sandoz Inc. out of NJ. They market these same pills to humans as AMOX 500, same code GG 849.

https://www.drugs.com/imprints/amox-500-gg-849-6010.html

Purchase at: https://fishmoxfishflex.com/

Do you know of a good reference for dosing amounts for all of the different types of FishMox?

One of our first aid books has a matrix of the different types of infections and which antibiotic to use for each, but they do not offer doses or how long you should continue each. I know some of them are pretty hard on some internal organs.

StratBastard
01-07-2023, 01:39 AM
Do you know of a good reference for dosing amounts for all of the different types of FishMox?

One of our first aid books has a matrix of the different types of infections and which antibiotic to use for each, but they do not offer doses or how long you should continue each. I know some of them are pretty hard on some internal organs.

Whenever I have been prescribed AMOX by a doc or a dentist, the protocol was as follows: Take two 500 mg. capsules to start, then one twice a day for 7 days.

Sparkyprep
01-07-2023, 06:25 AM
Going tractor shopping today. Time to put the old Ford to rest.

hawgrider
01-07-2023, 07:01 AM

What ya looking at?

Slippy
01-07-2023, 08:15 AM

Keep us up to speed on the search! I'm ready to upgrade my JD!

I just keep going back to a more multi-purpose vehicle like the Bobcat Toolcat
https://www.bobcat.com/na/en/equipment/toolcat/uw53

Prepared One
01-07-2023, 09:58 AM
Keep us up to speed on the search! I'm ready to upgrade my JD!

I just keep going back to a more multi-purpose vehicle like the Bobcat Toolcat
https://www.bobcat.com/na/en/equipment/toolcat/uw53

Curious, what's a thing like that run? Ballpark.

Slippy
01-07-2023, 11:57 AM
Curious, what's a thing like that run? Ballpark.

+/- $65k the last time I did a serious search. Still cheaper than a skid steer and for my humble little "farm" perfect for jobs that my 35hp tractor is not up to.

Also, I've worked hard for my money and having the luxury of enclosed cab in summer or inclement weather is ideal.

Bush-hogging in a misty light rain is best bush-hogging time at least that's what I think and having enclosed cab is perfect! Same with Box-blading or Land-planing my roads.

8 months out of the year its HOT. And I'm sick of breathing dust!

61 HP
6000 lbs

Bobcat has in my opinion, has revolutionized the ease of adding or removing implements. Quick connect is the way to go.

Box of frogs
01-07-2023, 02:14 PM

Tractor shopping …… lucky bastard

BoF

Chiefster23
01-07-2023, 03:51 PM
+/- $65k the last time I did a serious search. Still cheaper than a skid steer and for my humble little "farm" perfect for jobs that my 35hp tractor is not up to.

Also, I've worked hard for my money and having the luxury of enclosed cab in summer or inclement weather is ideal.

Bush-hogging in a misty light rain is best bush-hogging time at least that's what I think and having enclosed cab is perfect! Same with Box-blading or Land-planing my roads.

61 HP
6000 lbs

Bobcat has in my opinion, has revolutionized the ease of adding or removing implements. Quick connect is the way to go.

Slip! You’re getting soft in your old age!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Slippy
01-07-2023, 03:53 PM
Slip! You’re getting soft in your old age!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You ain't wrong about that! Life has done kicked my A$$!!

Prepared One
01-07-2023, 07:00 PM
You ain't wrong about that! Life has done kicked my A$$!!

You ain't wrong. I am looking for an easier life. Done did my time.

Inor
01-07-2023, 08:18 PM
We finally had a couple days in a row where we did not have rain, snow or constant 30 MPH winds. So I was finally able to finish framing up the new Feed Shack. Between the weather not cooperating and this being the first building project I have done since breaking my leg, this project seems to be taking FOREVER!

Unfortunately, I have to start doing work stuff again this week so that will limit the time I have to work on the shack. But all that is left is to do the siding and trim, get the roof metal on and make some doors.

Sparkyprep
01-08-2023, 09:38 AM
What ya looking at?

Went to the Kubota dealership yesterday. The tractor I want is the Kubota L4802, which is a new model for 2023. It replaces the L4701 for anyone who wants to google a look at it. It won't be available to order until April, so I have to wait. Looking at a package deal with the L4802, a 6' rotary cutter, front end loader, and a set of quick-change pallet forks. Dealer has my full specs of what I want, and I have his card. He is supposed to call me when we are ready to move forward. Good news is I qualify for 0% interest for 6 years. I'll probably put about $20,000 down, just to make the payments lighter.

Sparkyprep
01-08-2023, 09:40 AM

61 HP
6000 lbs

My new Kubota will have "quick connect" which is compatable with Bobcat, and thousands of other implements.

Sparkyprep
01-08-2023, 09:42 AM
Stock photo

Box of frogs
01-08-2023, 10:10 AM
Just for grins and price shopping here is a package at the Kubota dealership I use.
This include a grapple attachment. This is the 4700 series the one your looking at replaced

Sparkyprep
01-08-2023, 11:49 AM
Just for grins and price shopping here is a package at the Kubota dealership I use.
This include a grapple attachment. This is the 4700 series the one your looking at replaced

Hopefully, I will be a little less than that. I need another trailer like I need a hole in the head. I also don't need a grapple, since my property is already cleared. I also noticed that your deal is for a "DT" which is a gear drive transmission. I am looking at a HST transmission, just to make it easier for the wife and daughter, and son-in-law to operate without breaking it.

Slippy
01-08-2023, 11:53 AM
Stock photo

Excellent! Very nice Sparky!

Slippy
01-08-2023, 11:55 AM
Solid skills Inor! Looks great!

We finally had a couple days in a row where we did not have rain, snow or constant 30 MPH winds. So I was finally able to finish framing up the new Feed Shack. Between the weather not cooperating and this being the first building project I have done since breaking my leg, this project seems to be taking FOREVER!

Unfortunately, I have to start doing work stuff again this week so that will limit the time I have to work on the shack. But all that is left is to do the siding and trim, get the roof metal on and make some doors.

Box of frogs
01-08-2023, 11:55 AM
Hopefully, I will be a little less than that. I need another trailer like I need a hole in the head. I also don't need a grapple, since my property is already cleared. I also noticed that your deal is for a "DT" which is a gear drive transmission. I am looking at a HST transmission, just to make it easier for the wife and daughter, and son-in-law to operate without breaking it.

Yup. My K3010 is a GST transmission. It sure is easier to run. My wife was running it quickly after she got the hang of using the bucket.
BoF

Inor
01-08-2023, 01:37 PM

Congratulations Sparky!

My tractor has the HST and the quick connect. You will LOVE both of them!!! The only negative of the HST is that it takes a ridiculous amount of hydraulic oil (8 gallons). So changing the oil every year is an expensive proposition. That said, I would not want a tractor without it now.

Sparkyprep
01-08-2023, 04:04 PM
Yea, I am used to my old gear drive transmission on my Ford tractor, two shift sticks and a clutch pedal. However, the Mrs. has always struggled to get the hang of it, plus I have to teach son-in-law (soon) to do farm work, including tractor operation, since he was a "city boy". He WANTS to learn everything, and live like we do. Plus, someone has to take care of this place after I die. The HST will make all of that much easier. Like I told Mrs. Sparky, if you can run the zero-turn mower, you can run the HST tractor, since essentially, they operate on the same concept. No more crashing into the barn because she forgets how to stop. LOL.

SOCOM42
01-08-2023, 06:04 PM
My Honda has HST and I don't like it.

I can't complain though, the machine was given to me as a thankyou 17 years ago.

I did a lot of brush hogging with it, works great.

Now I just use it for mowing my "lawn" and getting gravel from the pit.

Another, random use, is for putting tension on a tree to fell it in the right direction when needed for such.

My kid does the operating when doing the tree work, she is use to it.

She does know how to drive a standard 4 speed on the floor from driving the truck when she was 16.

Broncosfan
01-08-2023, 07:07 PM
Went to the Kubota dealership yesterday. The tractor I want is the Kubota L4802, which is a new model for 2023. It replaces the L4701 for anyone who wants to google a look at it. It won't be available to order until April, so I have to wait. Looking at a package deal with the L4802, a 6' rotary cutter, front end loader, and a set of quick-change pallet forks. Dealer has my full specs of what I want, and I have his card. He is supposed to call me when we are ready to move forward. Good news is I qualify for 0% interest for 6 years. I'll probably put about $20,000 down, just to make the payments lighter.

I'm seriously looking at a new Kubota this year. Not as big as what your getting Sparkyprep. I'm looking in the 30 hp range. I need something bigger than the Deere we have now. I also want one that I can put belly mower on if the Deere gives out plus is big enough for at least a 5" finishing mower. Not sure about about a loader but more than likely.

Sparkyprep
01-08-2023, 07:35 PM
I'm seriously looking at a new Kubota this year. Not as big as what your getting Sparkyprep. I'm looking in the 30 hp range. I need something bigger than the Deere we have now. I also want one that I can put belly mower on if the Deere gives out plus is big enough for at least a 5" finishing mower. Not sure about about a loader but more than likely.

Just a quick note on your statement. With all the research I've done on these, the belly mowers are pretty much universally hated on all these machines, regardless of size or brand. They consistently make the list of the "most useless attachments", or "most disappointing attachments". Just FYI. I suggest getting the tractor for tractor stuff, and get a lawnmower for lawnmowing.

Broncosfan
01-08-2023, 09:57 PM
Just a quick note on your statement. With all the research I've done on these, the belly mowers are pretty much universally hated on all these machines, regardless of size or brand. They consistently make the list of the "most useless attachments", or "most disappointing attachments". Just FYI. I suggest getting the tractor for tractor stuff, and get a lawnmower for lawnmowing.

Although my subcompact JD isn't as big of tractor as I expect to get 24hp vs 30hp I disagree about the belly mower. The only draw back to mine is I bought the smaller tractor at the time and the mower deck wasn't the drive on version. I will look more into Kubota now that you said that. I might go with another Deere if there is so much negative about belly mowers. I have cut 24" field grass with mine with no problems. I've had mine since '06 and I'm happy with it. I cut several acres with my 54" this past year. It was a lot easier than pulling a rotary cutter around on these hills with the tractor I have. If I do buy a new tractor this year I will probably only buy it with a finish mower and only use my Deere for mowing grass and since I already have a loader, tiller and box scrape for it I won't buy them. Just a bit smaller but I don't use them enough to justify the added cost.

Inor
01-10-2023, 10:36 PM
I ordered our spring batch of meat chickens. They will be shipped on 2/28. I was able to get a few neighbors to go in on the order so I ordered 45. That gets the shipping price per bird down to a reasonable level. We are also getting a different pen for the meat chickens so they do not have to go in the chicken shack with the egg chickens. Supposedly the chicken shack is big enough for all of the them and the egg chickens are free range during the day. But we did notice the egg production dropped off when we had them with the meat birds, so this should alleviate that problem.

We are also still looking at doing turkeys this spring but the earliest ship date for those are in April. I am a little nervous about putting them in with the meat chickens because there is some kind of disease they can give the chickens called "black head". But by the time the turkeys are old enough to go outside, they will only be with the chickens for a few weeks before it is time to process the chickens. So I think we are going to roll the dice on that one this year.

Building the feed shack this winter, I am just not going to have the time to get the pasture set up for turkeys by the time Mrs Inor wants to start them. So raising turkeys in the pasture is going to have to wait until next year.

White Shadow
01-10-2023, 11:50 PM
Over the last week I have preemptively ordered some 10 round magazines for a few of my hand guns knowing there would likely be a rush on them after the scumbags passed a gun control package. Final version of the bill that passed today wasn't quite as brutal on hand gun mags as the earlier versions so I probably didn't need the 10 rounders, but better to have and not need.

Their goofy new rules coming into effect look like they will only allow standard capacity mags to be used in my own house and at a range. Carry in public would have to be a max 15 rounder which means my CZ P10F will stay on house duty as you only get a choice of the standard 19 rounders or 10 rounders. Nothing in between.

Jackass Demonrats.

T-Man 1066
01-11-2023, 07:01 AM
Over the last week I have preemptively ordered some 10 round magazines for a few of my hand guns knowing there would likely be a rush on them after the scumbags passed a gun control package. Final version of the bill that passed today wasn't quite as brutal on hand gun mags as the earlier versions so I probably didn't need the 10 rounders, but better to have and not need.

Their goofy new rules coming into effect look like they will only allow standard capacity mags to be used in my own house and at a range. Carry in public would have to be a max 15 rounder which means my CZ P10F will stay on house duty as you only get a choice of the standard 19 rounders or 10 rounders. Nothing in between.

Jackass Demonrats.

Make sure you register your guns before the deadline, you know, civil obedience and all that.

Good luck with that... :bsflag::bounce:

White Shadow
01-11-2023, 10:54 AM
Can't wait to see all the news coverage of the gang bangers lined up to turn in their guns

BucketBack
01-11-2023, 12:02 PM
I've been moving firewood before the Poachers come back, and wishing I was 35 years younger with the same knowledge that I have today,

Yesterday was the AmSec BFX 6030, which I found out means 30"W x 60" H :ughh:

bigwheel
01-14-2023, 06:45 PM
You need my help. lol. Full flavored beer is the best liquid to use in making sausage. Something in that makes the spices sparkle. Old chum said it was the yeast and that might be it. Whiskey is for drinking and snake bites..chilll banes etc. lol. Try making these adding subbing out any kinda lean meat including Bambi or Beef available just making sure it is less than 50% of the total meat ration least it will be tend to be crumbly.
https://keeprecipes.com/recipe/howtocook/bigwheels-genuine-texas-hotlinks

Prepared One
01-20-2023, 09:22 AM
I ordered and set up two new targets for our range. It's a work in progress actually. I have a lot of thoughts on upgrades and design. But for now, plenty to shoot at.
Cleaned a couple of guns and went through my original BOB. Moved some things around and switched stuff to my GHB. The way I see it, I am no longer in the city and may be forced to bug out to the country, I am already here! So a scaled back minimal BOB and a couple of good GHB's in each of the trucks is all that's needed. I am not inclined to bug out, I'm thinking I'll die right here.

Today is a little range time, a couple of beers, and maybe BBQ. It's nice that now that I am retired, every day is a potential weekend.

hawgrider
01-20-2023, 09:44 AM
I ordered and set up two new targets for our range. It's a work in progress actually. I have a lot of thoughts on upgrades and design. But for now, plenty to shoot at.
Cleaned a couple of guns and went through my original BOB. Moved some things around and switched stuff to my GHB. The way I see it, I am no longer in the city and may be forced to bug out to the country, I am already here! So a scaled back minimal BOB and a couple of good GHB's in each of the trucks is all that's needed. I am not inclined to bug out, I'm thinking I'll die right here.

Today is a little range time, a couple of beers, and maybe BBQ. It's nice that now that I am retired, every day is a potential weekend.Yup every day is a Saturday.

hawgrider
01-20-2023, 09:49 AM

Today is a little range time, a couple of beers, and maybe BBQ. It's nice that now that I am retired, every day is a potential weekend.

Did you do a voluntary federal tax deduction from your new SS account?

Just found out on mine if you make more than 32k jointly per me and the woman the feds tax my effing SS.
Soooo off in the mail went the W4 to have the pricks withhold 7% until I see how this next full year with my pension and SS goes.

Prepared One
01-20-2023, 10:24 AM

Just found out on mine if you make more than 32k jointly per me and the woman the feds tax my effing SS.
Soooo off in the mail went the W4 to have the pricks withhold 7% until I see how this next full year with my pension and SS goes.

I have not, But I have a feeling I am going to have a tax nightmare on my hands with my selling and buying houses, working part of the year and making that salary and then taking SSI the final months of the year, plus a bunch of other crap. It's a shit show. I am going to dump it in the accountants hands and see if he can untangle it for me, then I'll know what needs to be done going forward.

Box of frogs
01-20-2023, 11:06 AM

Yup every day is a Saturday.

Rub it in bitches. I’m still slaving for the man a few more years.
BoF

BucketBack
01-20-2023, 11:11 AM

$16.5 K is all thats allowed per person before taxed
That's why we're married in God's Name, not the courts, she uses the hypen before my last name

hawgrider
01-20-2023, 12:30 PM
BoF

The last year was a killer once I knew I was going to retire. It was soooooo slooooow! Now every day flys by almost too quick.

T-Man 1066
01-20-2023, 12:48 PM
BoF

Yep same here.

Except I am "The Man".

And yet I still slave away.

So does that make me the slave or the master? :confused:

Self employed - party of one.

MountainGirl
01-20-2023, 01:23 PM
Yep same here.

Except I am "The Man".

Both, same time. :)

Jester-ND
01-20-2023, 03:03 PM
Yep same here.

Except I am "The Man".

same here.... will retire when I die.

Box of frogs
01-20-2023, 04:15 PM
Yep same here.

Except I am "The Man".

Yup.
I ran my own landscape company for 10 years as well as working full time at the plant.
I used to get a laugh when people asked what it was like not having boss?
I’d tell them everyone that hires me is the boss wtf are you talking about.

Those were good years never worked harder than when it was for myself.
BoF

Prepared One
01-20-2023, 05:16 PM
BoF

But, we love you man!:eyebrows:

Inor
01-20-2023, 09:31 PM
Yep same here.

Except I am "The Man".

When we moved to AZ I cut my time back from about 60-70 hours per week to about an average of 25-30. Ever since that, I have really started to enjoy my work again. I could easily keep this up for the rest of my life and be perfectly content.

Slippy
01-21-2023, 06:52 AM
Running a "small business" has its pluses AND minuses. The money, benefits, perks and did I mention the money? was great!

But the hours, responsibilities etc were equally large (at least in my case). After we sold the company, I chose to do some "hired gun contract work". Not bad, but the travel got to me.

Now, I work for a small but old/established manufacturing company as Sales/GenMgr. I work out of my home, go where/when I'm needed and over see a handful of good young men and women. All of which who are under 40 yrs old!

My plant manager is 38 and has the work habits of the hardest of the hardest worker. He's an old soul that is tough as nails and a great compassionate leader of his men. Military vet.

My office manager is also in his mid 30's and laid back, comes in late, never gets very excited or very down. But he gets his job done and done well. Started out sweeping floors when he was 18 and has worked every piece of equipment in the shop.

My customer service staff are all in their 20's and early 30's. They surprise me everyday how stupid they can be AND how smart they can be. They are a roller coaster of face palms...

I see the owner of the company a couple times a year and he likes to smoke cigars and drink good bourbon and pat us all on the back. He's 80+ years old and a great guy. He's appreciative of what we do but our plant is the smallest of his portfolio of companies so he doesn't get too excited about us. I was a former customer of his, so I know him pretty well.

Not a bad situation for me to end my career...one day. :second:

T-Man 1066
01-21-2023, 06:57 AM
Things I love about running my business?

I will never get laid off.
If I can find a better way to do things, well then I do it.
No corporate crap to deal with.
The harder I work the more I get paid. Guaranteed!
No slackers to deal with when its just me.

Slippy
01-21-2023, 07:03 AM
Things I love about running my business?

I will never get laid off.
If I can find a better way to do things, well then I do it.
No corporate crap to deal with.
The harder I work the more I get paid. Guaranteed!
No slackers to deal with when its just me.

Being FREE is a good thing!

Prepared One
01-21-2023, 09:48 AM
The last year was a killer once I knew I was going to retire. It was soooooo slooooow! Now every day flys by almost too quick.

Much too quickly. And then there are all those pesky decisions to be made. Do I sleep in this morning? Do I even get dressed today? Do I get some work around the house done or do I even need to? Maybe a little time at out at the range, Maybe BBQ? Maybe we go to town and I buy my pretty lady some lunch, maybe not? Do I sleep all day, read, watch movies, play on the computer? Do I take a nap? Do I sleep all day and stay up all night? I mean, so many decisions! :eyebrows:

BucketBack
01-21-2023, 11:22 PM
I've been gathering supplies to ship out my overstock items, USPS holiday shipping prices expire Today. Sending out a Gold Wing Side Cover in honor. Neighbor found it on the roadside.

Box of frogs
01-22-2023, 02:05 PM
I got some help Saturday so I dropped another 20 trees along the edge of the pasture expansion project.
Three of them will be firewood for next year. The others are pines and I will cut those up and pile them for burning.
Some of the pines would be great for lumber. You could cut 36’ 8x8 ’s out of a number of them.
BoF

Inor
01-22-2023, 04:00 PM
I got some help Saturday so I dropped another 20 trees along the edge of the pasture expansion project.
Three of them will be firewood for next year. The others are pines and I will cut those up and pile them for burning.
Some of the pines would be great for lumber. You could cut 36’ 8x8 ’s out of a number of them.
BoF

Check around locally and see if you can find a sawyer to come out and cut them into lumber. Sometimes a sawyer will do the work for free if they get to keep some of the lumber. It is at least worth asking the question.

Box of frogs
01-22-2023, 04:51 PM
Check around locally and see if you can find a sawyer to come out and cut them into lumber. Sometimes a sawyer will do the work for free if they get to keep some of the lumber. It is at least worth asking the question.

My issue is the driveway back to my property. It’s narrow, steep, and has a hairpin turn that no truck over 17 feet can make. Even pulling a trailer around that turn has its difficulties.

Box of frogs
01-23-2023, 06:00 PM
Got this in a email.
Not sure if it’s a good deal or not.
Seems to be a PC with 4 plates. Thought I’d share the link in case anyone was interested in body armor

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102586846?utm_source=hot-buy&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=spartan-armor-omega-kit

BoF

Sparkyprep
01-23-2023, 07:01 PM
Got this in a email.
Seems to be a PC with 4 plates. Thought I’d share the link in case anyone was interested in body armor

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102586846?utm_source=hot-buy&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=spartan-armor-omega-kit

BoF

Thanks for the heads up. I'm currently shopping for some armor, but I think I like their "Achilles" PC better

KnuteFartne
01-24-2023, 09:55 AM
Hot Nursey bought a vacuum sealer so we bought about $800 worth of meat. I helped her vacuum seal it for the freezer last night. The instructions that came with it were very limited but we figured it out.

Anyone have any tricks or tips we should know going forward?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Chiefster23
01-24-2023, 10:41 AM
If vac sealing anything that is wet or juicy, like fruit, put it on a tray and partially freeze it first to keep the liquid from interfering with the bag seal.

Inor
01-24-2023, 10:53 AM
Hot Nursey bought a vacuum sealer so we bought about $800 worth of meat. I helped her vacuum seal it for the freezer last night. The instructions that came with it were very limited but we figured it out.

Don't vac seal the cat! The wife tends to get upset when I do that.

KnuteFartne
01-24-2023, 11:21 AM
Don't vac seal the cat! The wife tends to get upset when I do that.Luckily we don't have a cat. But I also haven't seen the turtle in a few days.

Sparkyprep
01-24-2023, 05:48 PM

Keep a sharpie marker in the kitchen. Everything that gets vac-sealed gets named, and dated. You would be surprised how much frozen sausage looks like frozen hamburger, and how many years from now you might find that last pack of meat in the bottom of your chest freezer./

MountainGirl
01-24-2023, 06:29 PM

That's an awful lot of trouble for 2 burgers and a roast. Just sayin.

hawgrider
01-24-2023, 07:29 PM
That's an awful lot of trouble for 2 burgers and a roast. Just sayin.

So true!

BucketBack
01-24-2023, 08:01 PM
Got this in a email.

BoF

It's good training stuff, plus it will stop a lot of bullets.

Chiefster23
01-25-2023, 05:13 AM
Got this in a email.

BoF

Seems like a good deal $ wise. But these plates are VERY heavy.

BucketBack
01-25-2023, 07:55 AM
I went from a XL Interceptor with SAPI and backers, to a large LBT clone with ceramic and backers, to a med level 4 blackhawk vest /plate combo for $250.

No where to hang anything, but it hides well under a coat.

StratBastard
02-03-2023, 03:20 PM
Picked up a load of pellets to add to the pellet stove stash, and expanded my bourbon stash a bit more.

Prepared One
02-03-2023, 06:28 PM
Picked up a load of pellets to add to the pellet stove stash, and expanded my bourbon stash a bit more.

How the hell are you getting ahead on your bourbon stash? I can never seem to get ahead of the curve! :alcoholic:

StratBastard
02-03-2023, 11:06 PM
How the hell are you getting ahead on your bourbon stash? I can never seem to get ahead of the curve! :alcoholic:

To be honest, there was only one bottle left. :biglaugh:

So I bought a case. I need to get 5 cases stocked, but I have never even approached that number yet.

MountainGirl
02-12-2023, 08:34 AM
Catching up on dehydrating today - will be pulling things out of the freezer to dry.
Reviewing all preps; with the focus on no more electricity.

RubberDuck
02-12-2023, 06:53 PM
Took the boy on his first official rabbit hunt with his grandpa today. He is well on his way to being real hunter at 1 year 10 months old.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230213/9a2892f632bf695721714ff5abd50517.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230213/20414243354af1b1916ee9066fae2806.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230213/100b19753de7764185d69dda80028cbb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230213/f375cd540cb33bef987fb263a8bf6c79.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230213/0c61f9ab01cc9ad17267830f8372f464.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

hawgrider
02-12-2023, 07:16 PM
Took the boy on his first official rabbit hunt with his grandpa today. He is well on his way to being real hunter at 1 year 10 months old.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230213/9a2892f632bf695721714ff5abd50517.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230213/20414243354af1b1916ee9066fae2806.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230213/100b19753de7764185d69dda80028cbb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230213/f375cd540cb33bef987fb263a8bf6c79.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230213/0c61f9ab01cc9ad17267830f8372f464.jpg

That young man was impressive. He walked that 10 acres with us twice and he held his gun the whole way. He also amazed me by wearing his hearing protection the whole time good thing cuz his daddy got 3 shots off.

We just won't mention that we only took one rabbit and that ole grandpa didnt get his double barrel dirty lol!

hawgrider
02-12-2023, 07:25 PM
Hey you prick that face block looks like a purple dick you dick!

RubberDuck
02-12-2023, 07:37 PM
Hey you prick that face block looks like a purple dick you dick!Took you long enough to recognize dick head...

StratBastard
02-12-2023, 09:40 PM
Had myself a nice momentary fantasy today... dashed on the rocks instantly of course LOL.

Spent the day working on my large porch, which I have converted to an extra bedroom (the floor, framing and such were overbuilt, and already had three double pane windows installed). Anyway, it's all insulated and paneled, and now is the nicest room in the house. In case things go real bad and I need to take in one of the people under my wing.

Anyway, one of the last things to do is to crawl underneath and insulate the floor from below. About 32 inches of clearance, so I'm on my back... but at least it's a concrete pad: I had nightmares of having to wear a diving suit, crawling through muck, bombarded with spiders, and attacked by snakes and maybe possums. Clean as a whistle under there.

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught something I instantly recognize: a one ounce coin capsule! From the color glint I instantly think "Krugerrand!!!" Because a Krug doesn't resemble other gold coins in color, as they add in .08 copper to harden it up for circulation. Got the old guy skittering along pretty good too. Turns out it's a nice pristine one ounce copper round.

Drat. :pout:

Inor
02-12-2023, 09:48 PM
Out of the corner of my eye, I caught something I instantly recognize: a one ounce coin capsule! From the color glint I instantly think "Krugerrand!!!" Because a Krug doesn't resemble other gold coins in color, as they add in .08 copper to harden it up for circulation. Got the old guy skittering along pretty good too. Turns out it's a nice pristine one ounce copper round.

Drat. :pout:

Those copper rounds are pretty popular with the hippie jewelry makers around here. They carefully cut designs in them with a fret saw, polish them up and sell them for a freakin' fortune.

Sparkyprep
02-13-2023, 06:11 PM
Hey you prick that face block looks like a purple dick you dick!

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::bigthumbu p:

Broncosfan
02-18-2023, 02:53 PM
Well I went out and did it! Not sure it is really a prep but it sure will help is in the long run with getting preps done.
We bought a Kubota LX3310 today. Got a loader, quick hitch and finish mower with it to start. I just could resist 0% interest and $800 in rebates. I looked for something used but just didn't see anything out there and the last thing I want is to have to possibility of having to fix someone's elses problems or buy something that has been abused. Won't be delivered until Wednesday or Thursday. I will post pics when it gets here.

Slippy
02-18-2023, 03:27 PM
Dang straight a Tractor is a Prep! I use mine all the time, just dragged my driveway earlier today and moved some shit around the barn with my tractor. Best tool in my toolbox!
Congrats buddy! Looking forward to the pics!
Slip

Well I went out and did it! Not sure it is really a prep but it sure will help is in the long run with get prep done.
We bought a Kubota LX3310 today. Got a loader, quick hitch and finish mower with it to start. I just could resist 0% interest and $800 in rebates. I looked for something used but just didn't see anything out there and the last thing I want is to have to possibility of having to fix someone's elses problems or buy something that has been abused. Won't be delivered until Wednesday or Thursday. I will post pics when it gets here.

Sparkyprep
02-18-2023, 04:32 PM
Well I went out and did it! Not sure it is really a prep but it sure will help is in the long run with get prep done.

I'm jealous!!!! I still can't even ORDER mine!

bigwheel
02-18-2023, 04:36 PM
Greeat acquisition.

Broncosfan
02-18-2023, 05:37 PM
I'm jealous!!!! I still can't even ORDER mine!

I emailed dealers to find out if they had the model I was looking for. We talked prices and models over the phone. Dealer thought maybe I might like an "L" series. Less $$$ but a farm tractor. The wife said she like the LX better. My butt preferred the seat on the LX as well. The L series seat was a step above a concrete block especially in my bumpy fields.

T-Man 1066
02-18-2023, 07:50 PM
If you have acreage you either need a utility tractor or a skidloader. Once you have that luxury, you never want to go without.

Broncosfan
02-18-2023, 08:17 PM
If you have acreage you either need a utility tractor or a skidloader. Once you have that luxury, you never want to go without.

I agree. We bought our JD 2305 when we lived in SC. Plenty big enough for there and was big enough here until I inherited the rest of the acreage. The 2305 just wasn't big enough. Plus on these hills I wanted something a little wider. I will use the JD to mow around the house but the fields and other bigger projects will now be done with the Kubota. When the HST shaft broke last year on the JD it put me in a pickle for several weeks. Now if something happens to the JD it will be retired and I will buy a mid mower for the Kubota. Its very hard to maintain any size acreage without proper equipment. We had a utv but never thought we really need an atv. Once we got my stepdads we realized how much faster we could get stuff done. Wife did give me a funny look when I was talking to the dealer about a backhoe attachment. Since there now 11k I can't see spending that kind of money right now. It would be nice to have but I can rent a mini excavator for a lot less.

Inor
02-18-2023, 09:34 PM
Well I went out and did it! Not sure it is really a prep but it sure will help is in the long run with getting preps done.

I agree with Slip and T-Man, a tractor damn sure is a prep! It is also an ethical imperative! Life without a tractor is like living a lie; it's kind of like denying you have a pecker. even though everybody knows you do. You also don't know how wrong it is to live without it until you get one. In my case, I went through the first 50 years of my life without a tractor and never knew what I was missing. Looking back now, it's really amazing I didn't turn into a transformer or something!

Congratulations!

Chiefster23
02-19-2023, 06:03 AM
Agree on the tractor. 3 years ago I got my JD 1025R subcompact tractor. I love it. A great prep!

Box of frogs
02-19-2023, 06:33 AM
Congrats on the buy.
This is absolutely a prep !
I love my L3010. I will be using it this weekend to move some cut up trees and limbs into brush piles.
Send pics !
BoF

Slippy
02-19-2023, 06:51 AM
A couple of weeks ago I pulled the tractor into the garage and began a thorough cleaning of the dirty green thing. I washed, degreased where it needed degreased and and greased where it needed greased. Then I washed it again. Let it dry and hit some dings/rust spots with green paint.

I was about 100 hours away from the next maintenance so I just left the tractor in the garage to look at for a couple of days.

Then I got it dirty again.

It was glorious.

RubberDuck
02-19-2023, 08:51 AM
Put together this chest rig still waiting on my trauma kit to get here but it's pretty much ready.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230219/700e5afb9278568e0ba2e9aa88db4ed7.jpg

hawgrider
02-19-2023, 09:20 AM
Put together this chest rig still waiting on my trauma kit to get here but it's pretty much ready.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230219/700e5afb9278568e0ba2e9aa88db4ed7.jpg

Whats it weigh loaded up?

RubberDuck
02-19-2023, 09:37 AM
Whats it weigh loaded up?Currently with
8 AR mags
4 pistol mags
1 multi tool
1 flashlight
1 double stack 45 m&p
1 pilot knife
Weighs 15 lbs. So maybe add another 3lbs for med kit and radio.
The being on the front it's. Very comfortable if it's worn with my loaded asult pack or full extended stay load out it would balance nicely

Slippy
02-19-2023, 09:46 AM
Very nice!

(Slippy makes a note to hire a strapping young 21 year old illegal alien chick to carry his chest rigs...Preferably mute, blonde and of Estonian or Scandinavian stock)

hawgrider
02-19-2023, 09:50 AM
Very nice!

(Slippy makes a note to hire a strapping young 21 year old illegal alien chick to carry his chest rigs...Preferably mute, blonde and of Estonian or Scandinavian stock)

Yeah thats where Im at. Need a 20 year old pool boy to cart my back pack and my 8mm Bruno

RubberDuck
02-19-2023, 09:57 AM
Yeah thats where Im at. Need a 20 year old pool boy to cart my back pack and my 8mm BrunoInteresting that you chose a pool boy!
At least Slip chose a mute whore pretending to be a girl....

hawgrider
02-19-2023, 09:58 AM
Interesting that you chose a pool boy!
At least Slip chose a mute whore pretending to be a girl....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk Yeah well the pool boy can keep the wife busy too. More sanity time for me.

Box of frogs
02-19-2023, 10:01 AM
This thread has taken a spin that no prepper could have ever predicted….

BoF

hawgrider
02-19-2023, 10:02 AM
This thread has taken a spin that no prepper could have ever predicted….

BoF

Classic OTP

Box of frogs
02-19-2023, 10:07 AM
Ok. It’s warm enough outside to work without a jacket.
I’m going out to ride the Kubota and try my best to wash these last two mental images out of my memories. Lol

BoF

Prepared One
02-19-2023, 10:46 AM
Yeah thats where Im at. Need a 20 year old pool boy to cart my back pack and my 8mm Bruno

I was about to say "Pool Boy"???? Is there something you need to tell us. :supergay::mocking:

Sparkyprep
02-19-2023, 11:28 AM

Liking that M&P!

T-Man 1066
02-19-2023, 11:48 AM
I was about to say "Pool Boy"???? Is there something you need to tell us. :supergay::mocking:

Hawg, it's ok, it's 2023. Time to come out of the closet! :biglaugh:

hawgrider
02-19-2023, 12:09 PM

Yeah Im too old to keep women entertained and id rather not hear all the chatter.
Hence get a pool boy to do the chores and free me from the torture.

Slippy
02-19-2023, 12:21 PM

RubberDuck
02-19-2023, 03:22 PM
Wife preped the garage fridge for spring.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230219/e3ec84ef7b6e1b72840e1e77455cdcdf.jpg

hawgrider
02-19-2023, 03:42 PM
Wife preped the garage fridge for spring.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230219/e3ec84ef7b6e1b72840e1e77455cdcdf.jpg

We need to re-up the bourbon too.

T-Man 1066
02-19-2023, 09:10 PM
I can get 52 cans in the fridge, another 4 in the freezer if needed... cold tools!

T-Man 1066
02-19-2023, 09:11 PM
Goddam upside down pics!!! Grrr!:beathead:

Broncosfan
02-22-2023, 04:39 PM
Look what got delivered today! I'm sure glad we built a building last fall. Its basically full now! 21654

hawgrider
02-22-2023, 05:17 PM
Goddam upside down pics!!! Grrr!:beathead:

Yeah but they come out easier that way.

hawgrider
02-22-2023, 05:18 PM
Look what got delivered today! I'm sure glad we built a building last fall. Its basically full now! 21654

Fun to be had right there!

Sparkyprep
02-23-2023, 03:52 PM

One of the single best preps a family can own. It is truly amazing the amount of tasks these machines can help with.

RubberDuck
02-23-2023, 04:34 PM
I Got a John deere1023e
60 inch mower deck with a bucket and it came with a rototiller.
Scored a good deal on a bush hog
Just ordered these today .
This tractor is one of the best moves I made it makes life a lot easierhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230223/40a2b89760b9f02d9b3578b1c87cdac2.jpg

Slippy
02-23-2023, 05:40 PM

That, my friend, is FREEDOM and a righteous BACK SAVER!

Good job!

(now the work begins...)

Broncosfan
02-23-2023, 06:45 PM
I Got a John deere1023e
This tractor is one of the best moves I made it makes life a lot easierhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230223/40a2b89760b9f02d9b3578b1c87cdac2.jpg

I think that might be the same set I order that should be delivered tomorrow

Broncosfan
02-23-2023, 06:49 PM
I Got a John deere1023e

Not positive but I think the 1023e replaced the 2305 which is what I upgraded from. Its now basically the lawn mower.

Chiefster23
02-24-2023, 03:48 AM
I got a 1025r a few years back. I love it! This tractor will be useful to you almost every day.

T-Man 1066
02-24-2023, 07:30 AM
Not positive but I think the 1023e replaced the 2305 which is what I upgraded from. Its now basically the lawn mower.

My concern with clamp on fabricated forks, is that they forks themselves are usually too thick to go under a standard pallet. Also clamping on a bucket they are so far out past the front of the tractor that it makes them almost useless.

Also, for picking up 5X5 round bales with forks, you really need 60" forks. I had 48" on the skidloader, but with most of the weight of the round bake on the end of the forks, the hay compresses, kinda tipping the bale forward. My skidloader wouldn't tilt back enough to compensate. I switched to 60" and the bales carried much more level.

Broncosfan
02-24-2023, 08:05 AM
My concern with clamp on fabricated forks, is that they forks themselves are usually too thick to go under a standard pallet. Also clamping on a bucket they are so far out past the front of the tractor that it makes them almost useless.

Also, for picking up 5X5 round bales with forks, you really need 60" forks. I had 48" on the skidloader, but with most of the weight of the round bake on the end of the forks, the hay compresses, kinda tipping the bale forward. My skidloader wouldn't tilt back enough to compensate. I switched to 60" and the bales carried much more level.

I only bought a set to use to move brush and limbs around. Just a a helpful time saver.

Inor
02-24-2023, 09:47 AM

Funny story -

When I bought my tractor, the dealer included a 5' hay spear that connects to the 3-pt hitch along with the tractor for "free". The hay spear is designed for moving round bales and I am sure it would work great for that. The trouble is, I have not even seen a round bale of hay since we moved to AZ. They seem to be a midwest thing.

When we bought our first steer, I got a deal on one of the big bales of oat hay. It was one of the rectangular bales that is 4 foot by 4 foot by 8 foot and probably weighed 1200 pounds (or more). Not having hay forks, but also not having to move it far, I thought i could use the hay spear and move it with that. I was very careful and made sure I speared it right in the exact center (along the 8 foot side). It picked the bale up okay but the problem was it made the tractor incredibly unstable! I only had to move it a couple hundred yards and I moved it most of the way on 2 wheels! Sometimes it was the left wheels, sometimes the right. I am really surprised I did not tip the whole thing over.

That was the last time I even attempted to use the hay spear for anything!

T-Man 1066
02-24-2023, 11:00 AM
I had a cat2 spear on the back of my IH 706 some years ago. It worked OK if the bale was on the ground and I had to move it somewhere else and put it back on the ground. With the skidloader and pallet forks, I could stack them alot easier. Also have moved alot of other things with it.

I suppose this will be another upside down pic, but here it is anyways. Turn your computer or monitor upside down...

RubberDuck
02-24-2023, 12:59 PM

Also, for picking up 5X5 round bales with forks, you really need 60" forks. I had 48" on the skidloader, but with most of the weight of the round bake on the end of the forks, the hay compresses, kinda tipping the bale forward. My skidloader wouldn't tilt back enough to compensate. I switched to 60" and the bales carried much more level.I probably won't move many pallets more so for logs and brush but this clamp set had place to run a chain from top mast of fork to the top of the buck so the weight is pulling on the whole bucket and not just the bottom. I added one of the pictured plates to my bucket with the chain hooks and d rings so that should combo well with the forkshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230224/e62995768c092d53165d8861291f687c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230224/94c27b29f7f4b712a5bb10f5f2ab373e.jpg

Broncosfan
02-24-2023, 04:53 PM
I probably won't move many pallets more so for logs and brush but this clamp set had place to run a chain from top mast of fork to the top of the buck so the weight is pulling on the whole bucket and not just the bottom. I added one of the pictured plates to my bucket with the chain hooks and d rings so that should combo well with the forkshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230224/e62995768c092d53165d8861291f687c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230224/94c27b29f7f4b712a5bb10f5f2ab373e.jpg

RubberDuck I like that plate. Did you get it from you JD dealer?

RubberDuck
02-24-2023, 05:43 PM
RubberDuck I like that plate. Did you get it from you JD dealer?Amazon
osemar Compact Tractor Bucket Hooks Bolt on with 2" Receiver fit for John Deere 1025r 2320 2025r 2032r 3032e https://a.co/d/8jDDpxX

RubberDuck
02-28-2023, 05:41 PM
Trauma kit arrived today need to add a small list of items to it but nice complete kit for under $50 the rig itself is complete other than my radio but that is grab and go item anyway.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230228/8f3e0b4a5f25ff0415201162d9337980.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230228/49317f7e308cfaaaa7bf600beb7f1692.jpg

Prepared One
03-01-2023, 09:28 AM
Trauma kit arrived today need to add a small list of items to it but nice complete kit for under $50 the rig itself is complete other than my radio but that is grab and go item anyway.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230228/8f3e0b4a5f25ff0415201162d9337980.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230228/49317f7e308cfaaaa7bf600beb7f1692.jpg

Nice kit. I have several here that I made myself but I am thinking I have way more then 50 bucks in them.

Inor
03-02-2023, 09:49 PM
The spring meat chickens came today.

It was not an optimal day for it. We had about 2" of snow last night and it has been cool all day. The high was about 38. But they are in my shop with a heat lamp so, hopefully they will be okay. One is not looking great but the rest all seem to be doing fine. If we lose 1 out of 45, those are not too horrible for losses. (Actually the hatchery sent 1 extra, so we will still be left with the 45 that we ordered even if the 1 dies). Still, we have never lost a chicken, egg or meat chicken, and it is now a matter of pride and arrogance to not lose one...

If they make it through tonight, they should be good. I think tonight is the last night below freezing for the foreseeable future (hopefully until next fall).

Piratesailor
03-03-2023, 09:24 AM
Amazon
osemar Compact Tractor Bucket Hooks Bolt on with 2" Receiver fit for John Deere 1025r 2320 2025r 2032r 3032e https://a.co/d/8jDDpxX

This is great information. I have that exact sub compact tractor in the picture. That addition and the fork would be good for brush and trees limb removal. And adding a hitch would be nice in moving the horse trailer around.

Piratesailor
03-03-2023, 09:33 AM
Generally we’re pretty good shape prep wise. I may look at the trauma kit. I have a number of things in that kit but combined like that would be useful. Where did you get it?

Chickens.. damn. We lost 3 over the past 2 months. All lost to hawks. Nieghbor lost 20 to a bob cat 2 months ago but his coop isn’t like ours. Ours is ft Knox. When we lost the chicken it was when they were free ranting.

Anyho.. my wife said she wants to get 5 or so more. Ok. She calls the place we get the birds and the are sold out. The wife want’s an 1-2 month bird, not a chick. Sold out. Wow. The reason we say wow is that they had 1,400 and sold those in 2 weeks. And they were $15 each and now are $20 each.

What this tells me is that with the egg issue there are now a lot of back yard chickens in various subdivisions around the area.

I’d say get a rooster but damn.. that’s a whole other issue.

BucketBack
03-16-2023, 06:45 PM
Wagner 1891 - 11 3/4" pan with readable instructions on the bottom. $30 cash off fakebook before work tonight

bigwheel
03-16-2023, 07:28 PM
At the risk of redundancy but having some experiences with Chickens and Ducks. Will say ducks are more hardy and fun to be around than are chickens. Lot of links on the topic. Now if anybody has a male duck..they need at least 7 lady ducks to go with.
https://www.tyrantfarms.com/a-fowl-battle-ducks-vs-chickens/

BucketBack
03-16-2023, 07:38 PM
I grew up on a canal, and learned ducks can make a mess out of a lawn.

hawgrider
03-16-2023, 08:38 PM
At the risk of redundancy but having some experiences with Chickens and Ducks. Will say ducks are more hardy and fun to be around than are chickens. Lot of links on the topic. Now if anybody has a male duck..they need at least 7 lady ducks to go with.
https://www.tyrantfarms.com/a-fowl-battle-ducks-vs-chickens/

Ducks are obnoxious. I HATE ducks with a passion. They stink and they are noisey.

BucketBack
03-17-2023, 08:24 AM
They're knot wat they r quacked up to bee

SOCOM42
03-17-2023, 01:18 PM
I have to deal with the Canadian honkers here, we re on their flyway.

Every spring when the lake becomes open they are here.

Some of them meander off and down my road and into my yard and shit all over the place.

Those turds are big enough to look like a fried egg sunny side up!

Well, I have figured out a good way to keep them the hell out of here.

As soon as I see them I let the dogs loose, they take off in a hurry.

Yesterday I got a few more of those canned hams to rathole.

As I was leaving Wallyworld, a woman right in front of me waved her sales slip in front of the coon checker,

and then proceeded to give him the finger.

We waved the kids smartphone in front of him, I said "you need a search warrant to look at it."

I then proceeded to give him the finger also. FUCK him and his job!

That time I had the manager come over, it went like this, her; "he needs to see the slip to do his job",

Me; "fuck him and his job, you need a search warrant".

bigwheel
03-18-2023, 07:11 PM
We raised several batches and the ducks wasnt hard on the lawn but they got throwed in the swimiing pool by some of my wayward old pals enought to learn to like it. They enjoyed the little kiddy pool or a mud holes just as good. Now Geese can eat a wheat field plumb up They could sure wreck a lawn too. One of my old pals was the helicopter pilot and official Geese chaser offer on a big ranch. He could also herd cows etc.

bigwheel
03-18-2023, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear about those hard feelings. You obviously had the wrong species of duck to deal with. The head of the Arkie Branch of the clan says everybody needs apple yard ducks. Just being around em can cause duck haters to look more kindly on ducks..lol
https://domesticanimalbreeds.com/appleyard-duck-breed-everything-you-need-to-know/

hawgrider
03-18-2023, 07:43 PM
Sorry to hear about those hard feelings. You obviously had the wrong species of duck to deal with. The head of the Arkie Branch of the clan says everybody needs apple yard ducks. Just being around em can cause duck haters to look more kindly on ducks..lol
https://domesticanimalbreeds.com/appleyard-duck-breed-everything-you-need-to-know/

My daughter had 7 of these. They are loud and obnoxious I hated them. Didnt really care for the eggs either. Chickens for the win on my end of things.
Finally after spending tons of money on feed for these white devils I finally talked my adult daughter into getting rid of them after 4 years of torture.

https://i.imgur.com/afA4Qr7.jpg

Broncosfan
03-18-2023, 08:18 PM
Planted 3 more apple trees this week for a total of 16 difference varieties. Closely matched for the best pollination.

MountainGirl
03-20-2023, 06:52 PM
Planted 6 thornless blackberries
Still need to mulch, set up supports, etc

The big area that goes off to the right is all open with full sun till late afternoon...

More berry plants likely, and maybe some apple trees :)

Chiefster23
03-20-2023, 07:03 PM
Just an FYI. Deer will eat thornless blackberry plants, so beware.

MountainGirl
03-20-2023, 07:33 PM

Thanks!
And, unlike my fight with them on the mountain - our 2-acres of cleared area is completely fenced in now (we just finished off the back) with woven wire and a double run of barbed wire along the top at 6'. IF they come in, I'll put up some pre-flavored venison. :)

Prepared One
03-20-2023, 07:48 PM
MG did her homework on this so we shall see how this goes. Me? I kill fake plants. But, she put some time and work in this and if it works we expand. Turns out we have some good dirt here at the top. Blackberry shine anyone? :bounce:

BucketBack
03-23-2023, 10:27 AM

They leave the prickly ones alone here

Oh, I picked up a vintage Waterloo 3 drawer toolbox for $60 retail $428, and a Like new Dock Coat for $20 retail $100

Scamazon link

https://www.amazon.com/Kennedy-Manufacturing-620B-3-Drawer-Machinists/dp/B004XNYQZK

Chiefster23
03-23-2023, 10:42 AM
I planted a semi-dwarf crab apple tree to serve as a pollinator for my other apple trees.

Inor
03-26-2023, 09:38 PM
We moved the meat chickens from their cages in my workshop into the new meat chicken run/cage outside.

We had been leaving them inside for 4 weeks with the last two batches. But this batch is growing much faster than the ones we raised previously. They are the same breed (Freedom Rangers) that we had raised before, but they are growing much bigger and much faster than the last two batches. We changed up their diet a little bit from the last two and it seems to be having a HUGE impact. These birds are just over 3 weeks old and they already have all their feathers and are about 50% bigger than the last two batches at 3 weeks.

This is also the maiden voyage for the new chicken run. I am not sure how well it is going to work. It seems kind of flimsy and crappy, but we strengthened it up some when we assembled it. For example, it came with just plastic zip ties to attach the wire to the frame, so we replaced that with wire fence ties. Also, the stakes that came with it were crap, so we used some 3/8" rebar about 16 inches long to stake it to the ground. I'm still not totally sold on it, but if it lasts 2-3 years, that will give us enough experience with it to figure out what we like and do not like. Then I can build a proper run from wood.

But, so far everybody seems happy. Mrs Inor even took some old hay strings and wove them through rabbit wire and made a "tunnel" for them. (That is the funny looking multi-colored thing in the photo.)

SOCOM42
03-27-2023, 06:25 PM
They leave the prickly ones alone here

Oh, I picked up a vintage Waterloo 3 drawer toolbox for $60 retail $428, and a Like new Dock Coat for $20 retail $100

Scamazon link

https://www.amazon.com/Kennedy-Manufacturing-620B-3-Drawer-Machinists/dp/B004XNYQZK

Good catch on the tool box, they are always needed.

Well now, I have two of those and four wood ones, a must have status symbol as a toolmaker.

One was my fathers and another one was my grandfathers, a steel one was my brothers.

All my mech tools are in a two level Snap-On roll away also from my brothers estate.

I leave all my cutting torch heads locked up in a safe, also the jumper for the plasma cutter goes in there.

T-Man 1066
03-27-2023, 07:09 PM
Good catch on the tool box, they are always needed.

Well now, I have two of those and four wood ones, a must have status symbol as a toolmaker.

One was my fathers and another one was my grandfathers, a steel one was my brothers.

All my mech tools are in a two level Snap-On roll away also from my brothers estate.

I leave all my cutting torch heads locked up in a safe, also the jumper for the plasma cutter goes in there.

H. Gerstner & Sons.

I have 3 of them, another 6 Kennedys.

My oldest Gerstner is 1946, has the original 12th edition Machinist's Handbook.

I am a tool slut... can't say NO...

Prepared One
03-28-2023, 06:41 AM
Added one more Jerry can for gas storage and two more propane tanks. MG and I have been doing a lot of topping off and double checking our stores.

Chiefster23
03-28-2023, 02:52 PM
Added one more Jerry can for gas storage and two more propane tanks. MG and I have been doing a lot of topping off and double checking our stores.

Funny you should mention jerry cans. Yesterday I received 4 German military surplus cans from Coleman’s. I now have a total of 10 from them, all were excellent quality cans and a fair price. Tomorrow I will fill them with diesel and Pri-D stabilizer.

Chiefster23
03-30-2023, 04:14 AM
I guess this qualifies as a prep for my wife, not so much for me. I quit making excuses and went to a lawyer to prepare a will. I also prepared a complete folder of instructions to make things easier when I finally kick the bucket. All account numbers and phone numbers for bank, credit card, and IRA accounts. Complete list of all keys and I labeled one complete spare set. Insurance policies and contact info. A complete list of repair people and phone numbers for every appliance and piece of equipment we own. Cremation instructions and ash disposal details. Basically, I prepared a complete list of instructions to cover almost every headache she might encounter after I’m gone. And I gathered all titles, deeds, and official documents she might need into one envelope. Then she can move on and spend my $ with a new, younger husband #4!!! LOL

1skrewsloose
03-30-2023, 05:44 AM
^^^Wow, that sounds like a lot of work, I need to do a will but mine will be easier, list of things the wife will NOT get. When I go, I want to have the last laugh.

Chiefster23
03-30-2023, 07:12 AM
I found out some good info I didn’t know before. Your undertaker will notify SS of your death. Immediately your bank accounts and safe deposit boxes will be frozen, unless you have a co-owner on the account. Credit cards are frozen, even if jointly owned. Any POA you made while you were alive dies with you. After death you need an executor, hence you require a will. Even death is complicated by excessive rules and bullshit!

hawgrider
03-30-2023, 10:54 AM
I found out some good info I didn’t know before. Your undertaker will notify SS of your death. Immediately your bank accounts and safe deposit boxes will be frozen, unless you have a co-owner on the account. Credit cards are frozen, even if jointly owned. Any POA you made while you were alive dies with you. After death you need an executor, hence you require a will. Even death is complicated by excessive rules and bullshit!

In Meatchicken you can do a POD on bank accounts and your house deed to avoid probate.

In Meatchicken a "will" is nothing more than a suggestion to the probate court judge and can be fought by anyone who has an interest in the estate.

POD = point of death or pay on death.

With the the POD probate can't touch it.

Or get a trust which is more binding than a will.

Right now I have my daughters listed on my bank accounts as a POD
When I buy my next house I'll do the same and have them put on the deed as POD. Get an estate attorney to help if you need it although you can do it yourself without an attorney.

RubberDuck
03-30-2023, 12:43 PM
In Meatchicken you can do a POD on bank accounts and your house deed to avoid probate.

In Meatchicken a "will" is nothing more than a suggestion to the probate court judge and can be fought by anyone who has an interest in the estate.

When I buy my next house I'll do the same and have them put on the deed as POD. Get an estate attorney to help if you need it although you can do it yourself without an attorney.Actually for the house by adding them to deed they would end up playing capital gains there is another way to do that so the there is no tax. Few hundred bucks and get a living trust

hawgrider
03-30-2023, 01:02 PM
Actually for the house by adding them to deed they would end up playing capital gains there is another way to do that so the there is no tax. Few hundred bucks and get a living trust

My estate attorney did not mention that when he told us about it. I'll have to ask him about that.

BucketBack
03-30-2023, 01:12 PM
Funny you should mention jerry cans. Yesterday I received 4 German military surplus cans from Coleman’s. I now have a total of 10 from them, all were excellent quality cans and a fair price. Tomorrow I will fill them with diesel and Pri-D stabilizer.

I was wondering about those cans. I'll try them out. Coleman's send me emails often.

Slippy
03-30-2023, 01:50 PM
My estate attorney did not mention that when he told us about it. I'll have to ask him about that.

In Alabama, A Living Trust eliminates probate and any death tax. Certain IRA's or 401(k)'s cannot be added to a Living Trust but I need to get more info on that. POD's also work to avoid probate.

BucketBack
03-30-2023, 02:25 PM

Lady Bird Quit Claim Deed is what you seek.

No capital gains and no property tax increase upon changing of hands.

Personal Property also I imagine.

I'm on # 3.

1 for Mom

2nd for John

3rd for Callie, which removed John.

First was $1200, the last 2 Quit Claims, with Patient Advocate and Power of Attorney, were $500

I have copies of my old deed I can send for reference, but this guy is for real

https://myelderlawplanning.com/

White Shadow
03-30-2023, 08:54 PM

When I buy my next house I'll do the same and have them put on the deed as POD. Get an estate attorney to help if you need it although you can do it yourself without an attorney.

You mean all of your assets don't go directly to your buddy Gretchen upon your death? Is that an oversight by the elites?

hawgrider
03-30-2023, 09:19 PM
You mean all of your assets don't go directly to your buddy Gretchen upon your death? Is that an oversight by the elites?

She doesn't get squat!

Until my kids sell my house.

With a POD on the deed they could just keep the house since its basically a transfer and let one of their kids move in it. Then there would be no capitol gains tax

BucketBack
04-04-2023, 01:34 PM
Trying to buy some plates . I only have a couple plates left from Mum's caregiver days.They broke or borrowed them and never said nuttin'

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/336345392_6941516889208395_8612484888542466497_n.j pg?stp=dst-jpg_s960x960&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=c48759&_nc_ohc=9y3Cx3U-QSQAX-HSHde&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfDuWTnzfLJLoMgeRdcDW9SfUQfV3AdA-zkX7ZuTU1lOZQ&oe=643168BC

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1587244855090909/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

StratBastard
04-04-2023, 09:52 PM
Trying to buy some plates . I only have a couple plates left from Mum's caregiver days.They broke or borrowed them and never said nuttin'

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/336345392_6941516889208395_8612484888542466497_n.j pg?stp=dst-jpg_s960x960&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=c48759&_nc_ohc=9y3Cx3U-QSQAX-HSHde&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfDuWTnzfLJLoMgeRdcDW9SfUQfV3AdA-zkX7ZuTU1lOZQ&oe=643168BC

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1587244855090909/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

I found these bowl plates at Target, and I'm never going back to regular plates. Nothing slops off the edge ever. I have them in white.

BucketBack
04-05-2023, 09:31 AM
Well I have the plates from yesterday, and 3 bar chairs, a white metal folding planter basket, sold my Sig Double Gun case, and paid $500 for

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/f5d90f97-b6f6-4dd6-a400-9231b6a261d5_1.e5f6567533b69224b704af3d8a4f32ac.jp eg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

I just found the ASSembly instructions to dis-ASSemble it prior to loading on the trailer.

It was supposed to be delivered free.

It'll make a good Magazine and tool shed.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-10-x-8-ft-Outdoor-Storage-Shed/342373658?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1172&adid=22222222222253630971&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=74423278990631&wl4=pla-4578022847717166&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=342373658_10000001217&wl14=lifetime+8+ft.+x+10+ft.+outdoor+storage+shed&veh=sem&msclkid=1c97506d8f021a73a0a834400a00e2ea&gclsrc=ds

BucketBack
04-05-2023, 10:08 AM
I'll be moving forward in reverse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIPKmfzvQm0

eta -I'm moving it to the town by the bridge ( Bridgeton ) that never sleeps. It's party central with kayaks and fishing.

StratBastard
04-12-2023, 08:56 PM
I have decided I need a minimum of 6 months of bourbon and tobacco... otherwise an extended SHTF scenario will have me murdering people in the streets LOL. Already covered on coffee. This is by no means a comprehensive list of my bad habits, but they do sit at the top.

Went and bought 2 cases of bourbon today, and went to a tobacco outlet store. I smoke American Spirits, which are $110 a carton at Costco (Yegods, I could buy smokes at the gas station for .27 cents when I started). Bought a couple drums of American Spirit to store/rotate, so I'll be rolling my own at times, mixing that in during the day to rotate them. I have tested this myself, and they will sit on the shelf fine for 3 years if need be. But I'll rotate. I asked them to recommend a less expensive brand, and I bought a carton of "King Mountains" to try them... only $66 a carton. Not bad, not the best, but not bad. I'll do this every payday (I still call my two pensions paydays LOL) until I hit that 6 month mark on both items.

MountainGirl
04-13-2023, 09:22 AM
I have decided I need a minimum of 6 months of bourbon and tobacco... otherwise an extended SHTF scenario will have me murdering people in the streets LOL. Already covered on coffee. This is by no means a comprehensive list of my bad habits, but they do sit at the top.

Went and bought 2 cases of bourbon today, and went to a tobacco outlet store. I smoke American Spirits, which are $110 a carton at Costco (Yegods, I could buy smokes at the gas station for .27 cents when I started). Bought a couple drums of American Spirit to store/rotate, so I'll be rolling my own at times, mixing that in during the day to rotate them. I have tested this myself, and they will sit on the shelf fine for 3 years if need be. But I'll rotate. I asked them to recommend a less expensive brand, and I bought a carton of "King Mountains" to try them... only $66 a carton. Not bad, not the best, but not bad. I'll do this every payday (I still call my two pensions paydays LOL) until I hit that 6 month mark on both items.

We be twins with you on that. PO stocked the booze, I stocked the smokes LOL

Quick story: In another life, I'd be back & forth between canada and the US on contracts, 6mo-year at a time. Which meant - back & forth between cdn smokes and us smokes. Swear2god, I went through withdrawls between the switchings. Withdrawls from the chemicals in the tobaccos which are different in each country - and each very addictive. Soon as i figured out wtf was happening - I switched to American Spirit. Now, after a day without, yeah I want one - but there's not the physical tightening about it. I know you know what I mean. I wish the AS drums came in menthol... I'd stock those too. Careful with the non-AS tobacco; you're introducing another addictive. I stocked up on some cheapo smokes - to use as trade goods, if and when.

Jester-ND
04-13-2023, 01:58 PM
My thoughts on stocking booze, coffee, and smokes. Anyone that is hooked now and does without for several months, likely won't care if the shit they suddenly find is stale/cheap.... Myself, I don't do coffee or booze really (smoke maybe 5 cigars a year).. I do however choose to stock caffeine (nodoze)

BucketBack
04-13-2023, 07:21 PM

Quick story: In another life, I'd be back & forth between canada and the US on contracts, 6mo-year at a time. Which meant - back & forth between cdn smokes and us smokes. Swear2god, I went through withdrawls between the switchings. Withdrawls from the chemicals in the tobaccos which are different in each country - and each very addictive. Soon as i figured out wtf was happening - I switched to American Spirit. Now, after a day without, yeah I want one - but there's not the physical tightening about it. I know you know what I mean. I wish the AS drums came in menthol... I'd stock those too. Careful with the non-AS tobacco; you're introducing another addictive. I stocked up on some cheapo smokes - to use as trade goods, if and when.

In my other life, myself and my friend Bigger, would take the ferry across the St Clair River to CND.

Hit up the duty free and get Absolut and Marlboros and Beer

A 7 gallon bucket of perch was $75 US picked up on the ice from a Indian.

$75 for a 2 room motel, with a menu of visitors

After fishing and whatever, we came home with fish, money, and a smile. Plus more booze on the way home.

StratBastard
04-13-2023, 08:47 PM

Yeah, those cheap ones are probably going into the trade pile... until they become the only smoxe left pile LOL. Not so great after an American Spirit, and they burn down like fuses. I'll just buy 4 or 5 cartons of AS each month for awhile. Amazing how smoking has become more expensive than booze. I magic marker a purchase date on every carton, and every bottle of bourbon... even I can keep that straight.

MountainGirl
04-14-2023, 06:35 AM
Yeah, those cheap ones are probably going into the trade pile... until they become the only smoxe left pile LOL. Not so great after an American Spirit, and they burn down like fuses. I'll just buy 4 or 5 cartons of AS each month for awhile. Amazing how smoking has become more expensive than booze. I magic marker a purchase date on every carton, and every bottle of bourbon... even I can keep that straight.

Totally.
I smoke an AS in thirds, lol.
Figuring it that way - they're actually cheaper.
Good tip on dating them - thanks. :)

SOCOM42
04-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Totally.
I smoke an AS in thirds, lol.
Figuring it that way - they're actually cheaper.
Good tip on dating them - thanks. :)

Boy, am I glad I don't smoke anymore, the cost???.

It has been 34 years since I quit, went cold turkey to do it, slow reduction did not work.

The last ones I bought were 23 cents a pack for Marlboro's, out of the commissary at Ft. Devens.

I date everything consumable brought in here, even date the All laundry detergent.

Today I can't stand being around someone that is smoking.

The second hand smoke makes me feel like my lungs are collapsing, tight chest sensation.

It is all in the head.

I remember one time,

taking the butts out of the ashtray and rolling the remaining tobacco in a paper towel to smoke one.

Jester-ND
04-14-2023, 09:16 PM
It is all in the head.

I remember one time,

taking the butts out of the ashtray and rolling the remaining tobacco in a paper towel to smoke one.

reinforces my point that what you stock doesn't matter (along with watching the homeless smoke random discarded butts)

Sparkyprep
04-16-2023, 05:54 PM
3 more Gen 3 PMags added to the collection.

BucketBack
04-20-2023, 01:08 PM
Picked up a Stihl O28 AV Super with case for $200 delivered

MountainGirl
04-22-2023, 11:04 AM
Put up 8 pints of pure protein :)

Slippy
04-22-2023, 03:20 PM
Put up 8 pints of pure protein :)

Do I read "yellow peas with bacon and onion" on the jars?

Tell us more about this delicious looking concoction...

MountainGirl
04-22-2023, 03:41 PM
Do I read "yellow peas with bacon and onion" on the jars?

Tell us more about this delicious looking concoction...

It's very tasty for sure - and yellow split peas are almost a complete protein on their own!

For 8 pints, I cooked up 2lb dried split yellow peas: boiled 1 hr, drained, added water back in to cover, then added 1/2 pound diced up pepper bacon (raw), 1 chopped up med onion, some salt, a lot of coarse ground black pepper, and cooked everything for another hour...adding only enough water to keep it from burn/sticking. Think side dish, not soup. The peas finish cooking in the canner.

Filled 4 jars, (I use the Instant Pot Max - can only do 4 pints at a time), left the rest in the pot to stay warm for second round, pressure canned for 90 minutes. Had some left over after the second round, PO had it with his supper last night. :)

Slippy
04-22-2023, 04:11 PM
Excellent!

It's very tasty for sure - and yellow split peas are almost a complete protein on their own!

For 8 pints, I cooked up 2lb dried split yellow peas: boiled 1 hr, drained, added water back in to cover, then added 1/2 pound diced up pepper bacon (raw), 1 chopped up med onion, some salt, a lot of coarse ground black pepper, and cooked everything for another hour...adding only enough water to keep it from burn/sticking. Think side dish, not soup. The peas finish cooking in the canner.

Filled 4 jars, (I use the Instant Pot Max - can only do 4 pints at a time), left the rest in the pot to stay warm for second round, pressure canned for 90 minutes. Had some left over after the second round, PO had it with his supper last night. :)

Broncosfan
04-26-2023, 08:36 PM
Bought the Wife a new CCW for an early Mothers day gift. A new Ruger Lite Rack Security 380. I like the Lite rack. Hopefully I can compare her old 380 to this one on Saturday. The new Ruger has a capacity of 15.

Piratesailor
04-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Not enough…..

1skrewsloose
04-28-2023, 07:32 PM
Bought the Wife a new CCW for an early Mothers day gift. A new Ruger Lite Rack Security 380. I like the Lite rack. Hopefully I can compare her old 380 to this one on Saturday. The new Ruger has a capacity of 15.

Guns, the one gift that really shows how much you care.

SOCOM42
04-28-2023, 07:57 PM
Cleaned and oiled an FAL, and a 1911.

Forgot, got the new AR flat top uppers in the mail.

Changing out some A2 uppers, putting on red dots on afterwards.

They were ordered last Monday.

Inor
04-28-2023, 08:43 PM
We finally found some turkeys to order. So, we ordered 5 Heritage Bronze and 5 Narragansett.

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/narragansett-turkey/
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/bronze-standard-turkey/

By this afternoon, they were already sold out again. It seems like there is a turkey shortage this year? Since this is our first time raising turkeys, I am not sure if this is normal or not. I was thinking they were like chickens where you could just order whatever you want, whenever you want. But that is apparently not the case with turkeys (at least this year).

Mrs Inor also ordered 5 more brooder hens. We need more egg chickens like I need an ex-wife! But Mrs Inor informed me that if we didn't get some broody egg chickens, I would have an ex-wife! So...

They are all due to arrive early next week.

Since we had both kind of resigned ourselves that we would not be able to get turkeys this year, I had started designing a Meat Shack (combination of a curing shack and cold smoker) to build for this summer's project. But now that we have turkeys on the way, I have to shift gears and figure out something for a roost and a shade area in the pasture for the turkeys.

That is okay because the Meat Shack is going to require quite a bit of concrete work and brick work which I was none too keen to start going into our hottest months of the year (May and June). So that will be a good project for next fall after the monsoons.

MountainGirl
04-29-2023, 07:52 AM
We finally found some turkeys to order. So, we ordered 5 Heritage Bronze and 5 Narragansett.

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/narragansett-turkey/
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/bronze-standard-turkey/

By this afternoon, they were already sold out again. It seems like there is a turkey shortage this year? Since this is our first time raising turkeys, I am not sure if this is normal or not. I was thinking they were like chickens where you could just order whatever you want, whenever you want. But that is apparently not the case with turkeys (at least this year).

Mrs Inor also ordered 5 more brooder hens. We need more egg chickens like I need an ex-wife! But Mrs Inor informed me that if we didn't get some broody egg chickens, I would have an ex-wife! So...

They are all due to arrive early next week.

Since we had both kind of resigned ourselves that we would not be able to get turkeys this year, I had started designing a Meat Shack (combination of a curing shack and cold smoker) to build for this summer's project. But now that we have turkeys on the way, I have to shift gears and figure out something for a roost and a shade area in the pasture for the turkeys.

That is okay because the Meat Shack is going to require quite a bit of concrete work and brick work which I was none too keen to start going into our hottest months of the year (May and June). So that will be a good project for next fall after the monsoons.

Sorry guys this is way off topic but -

Inor - what is your water situation? Do you have a well, how deep is it and do you have a backup 'hand-pump' ready?

Congrats on the turkeys, btw :)

1skrewsloose
04-29-2023, 06:51 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, wife slid into the ditch last winter, called me to pull her out. Got in the truck shifted to 4X4 and no 4x4, seems chevy went to a shift on the fly with a thermally activated solenoid, 200k miles it when bad. New part $50, too late to help me out, towing charge $185. Something to think about, I could have gotten one of these and been sure, day late and a dollar short.

https://4x4posi-lok.com/product/psl600-4x4-posi-lok/
I've got one on order.

SOCOM42
04-29-2023, 09:05 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, wife slid into the ditch last winter, called me to pull her out. Got in the truck shifted to 4X4 and no 4x4, seems chevy went to a shift on the fly with a thermally activated solenoid, 200k miles it when bad. New part $50, too late to help me out, towing charge $185. Something to think about, I could have gotten one of these and been sure, day late and a dollar short.

https://4x4posi-lok.com/product/psl600-4x4-posi-lok/
I've got one on order.

I went to the Jeeps because I got sick of having to get out and switch the hubs on the Bronco's.

I dropped the rear driveshaft, actually shredded the rubber collar, in the middle of traffic in a five way intersection.

Had to switch the hubs, so embarrassed.

Put a new one in the next day.

Traded that Bronco in for a Jeep.

Still having Jeeps 35 years later.

StratBastard
04-29-2023, 09:32 PM
I went to the Jeeps because I got sick of having to get out and switch the hubs on the Bronco's.

I dropped the rear driveshaft, actually shredded the rubber collar, in the middle of traffic in a five way intersection.

Well, there's no accounting for taste.

White Shadow
04-29-2023, 10:11 PM

35 years and you haven't found a reliable one yet!?

Broncosfan
04-29-2023, 10:39 PM
Planted 3 thorn-less blackberry bushes today. I need to pickup 4 more to finish out the area

SOCOM42
04-30-2023, 07:43 AM
Well, there's no accounting for taste.

I still have the side panels for the Bronco that I was going to install.

They are right behind the shop, came from JC Whitney.

Those things suffered from severe rot, from road salt.

SOCOM42
04-30-2023, 07:47 AM
35 years and you haven't found a reliable one yet!?

That was plural, we have two of them, We each have had two each in the last 15 and 25 years.

Myself, the first I gave to my daughter right after she got her drivers license, that makes 3 total for me.

BucketBack
04-30-2023, 07:49 AM
I found the thorned blackberry bushes last night cleaning up the garden for roto tilling, bought 6 pyrex bowls for $5, and heading to the grandsons to clean out a shed full of like new stuff / junk.

Rakes, shovels, dog eared fence boards and cinder blocks ( shelves for apt ), bar stools from what I spotted from 50'.

The Mrs is in all her yard sale glory

White Shadow
04-30-2023, 09:41 AM
That was plural, we have two of them, We each have had two each in the last 15 and 25 years.

Myself, the first I gave to my daughter right after she got her drivers license, that makes 3 total for me.

I have had a Honda van go 11-12 years before I traded it in, otherwise the wimmen folk around here total cars before I'm done getting my money's worth out of them. :mad:

SOCOM42
04-30-2023, 09:57 AM
I have had a Honda van go 11-12 years before I traded it in, otherwise the wimmen folk around here total cars before I'm done getting my money's worth out of them. :mad:

LOL! LOL! LOL!

My Grand Cherokee is a 2008, bought new,, have done repair work on it, but still going strong, 112,000 miles on it.

White Shadow
04-30-2023, 10:46 AM
That's some seriously low mileage for a 2008. Here that would have been a pile of rust flakes by now.

I want to say the van was at around 160k, but had scars from my wife driving it, and the interior was trashed from three rugrats. Drive train was fine, but I wanted an upgrade to something not destroyed by the rest of the clan.

T-Man 1066
04-30-2023, 11:08 AM
That's some seriously low mileage for a 2008. Here that would have been a pile of rust flakes by now.

I want to say the van was at around 160k, but had scars from my wife driving it, and the interior was trashed from three rugrats. Drive train was fine, but I wanted an upgrade to something not destroyed by the rest of the clan.

100% agree about the rust. My '12 F-350 that I bought new is getting rust pretty bad already. It's got over 190K on the clock, and I do plow snow with it.

I am going to be cradle to grave on this truck, and same with our '18 Edge.

Not sure if I will buy a new truck after this one dies, for what they get for a truck I can buy a new CNC that will actually make me money.

SOCOM42
04-30-2023, 11:22 AM

Yeah, don't drive much anywhere, just the essential trips, markets, doctors.

No desire to go on trips, did plenty of that at a younger age.

StratBastard
04-30-2023, 07:22 PM
I still have the side panels for the Bronco that I was going to install.

They are right behind the shop, came from JC Whitney.

Those things suffered from severe rot, from road salt.

Depending on where they spent their life, a vintage truck can be rotted out under there. Mine came from San Diego, and was remarkably rust free.

BucketBack
05-01-2023, 06:10 AM
Michigan = Rust, the Arkansas 2003 Envoy was rust free before winter.

She bought 6 - 2 - 3' rose of sharon's for $100, to resell later when they bloom

I potted and made tags for Althea at the landscape place in '74. I forgot they were also Rose of Sharon:ughh:

And now hibiscus. Heck, now I'm a learned gardener.

I need to get a half yard of soil from the snow plow / garden center to repot them

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/pink-rose-sharon-hibiscus-tree?variant=31617646133310&msclkid=cfa0d3b26da51b7b6078b7fdf1b3cc24

Inor
05-03-2023, 10:32 PM
The turkeys came today (along with more damn egg chickens)!

The dark gray ones are the chicks. The gray and white striped dudes are the turkeys. There are two different kinds of turkeys but I cannot tell the difference yet. I am surprised at how small they are when they first hatch. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the turkeys are a little smaller than even the chicks and they were all hatched on Monday.

TJC44
05-04-2023, 08:19 AM
The turkeys came today (along with more damn egg chickens)!

The dark gray ones are the chicks. The gray and white striped dudes are the turkeys. There are two different kinds of turkeys but I cannot tell the difference yet. I am surprised at how small they are when they first hatch. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the turkeys are a little smaller than even the chicks and they were all hatched on Monday.

O.K., I'll bite....
What's the fork for?

If you say eating with, I'll drive down there and slap the shit out of you!

Prepared One
05-04-2023, 08:43 AM
O.K., I'll bite....
What's the fork for?

I thought it was to remind the chickens and turkeys what they are there for.

Inor
05-04-2023, 11:06 AM
O.K., I'll bite....
What's the fork for?

To inspire them to greatness...

Sparkyprep
05-05-2023, 07:22 PM
I see chicken math is kicking in for Inor.

1skrewsloose
05-05-2023, 08:05 PM
Chickens, yesterday was warm, went for a putt putt ride on the back roads, a mile from any farm about a dozen chickens in the middle of a ten acre field diggin for food.

They knew their way home. Interesting creatures for being so lowly.

Sparkyprep
05-06-2023, 03:14 PM
Chickens, yesterday was warm, went for a putt putt ride on the back roads, a mile from any farm about a dozen chickens in the middle of a ten acre field diggin for food.

They knew their way home. Interesting creatures for being so lowly.

I have found them to be far more intelligent than they are given credit for.

Inor
05-06-2023, 05:09 PM
I have found them to be far more intelligent than they are given credit for.

Egg chickens, yes. Meat chickens are dumber than dirt.

StratBastard
05-10-2023, 04:50 PM
Was able to start back up on my plan to have six months of tobacco and bourbon on the shelves...had to buy a new fridge a few weeks ago, and that really cut right into any discretionary spending for the month. Picked up 5 cartons today, and will get another case of bourbon later this afternoon. I finally found the equation that works: you have to buy them faster than you smoke and drink them... who knew?

1skrewsloose
05-10-2023, 06:58 PM
Was able to start back up on my plan to have six months of tobacco and bourbon on the shelves...had to buy a new fridge a few weeks ago, and that really cut right into any discretionary spending for the month. Picked up 5 cartons today, and will get another case of bourbon later this afternoon. I finally found the equation that works: you have to buy them faster than you smoke and drink them... who knew?

Hey man, look into rolling your own, there are manual and automatic machines, All kinds of different flavors to choose from, one (1) pound of tobacco and two boxes of tubes,(200 tubes per box=carton) for $30.

This is what I do, doesn't take long at all to produce a carton of smokes, gives you something to do while sipping and smoking. Been doing this for years, If I had to pay 6,7,8 bucks a pack I'd quit, which might not be a bad thing.

StratBastard
05-10-2023, 09:09 PM
Hey man, look into rolling your own, there are manual and automatic machines, All kinds of different flavors to choose from, one (1) pound of tobacco and two boxes of tubes,(200 tubes per box=carton) for $30.

This is what I do, doesn't take long at all to produce a carton of smokes, gives you something to do while sipping and smoking. Been doing this for years, If I had to pay 6,7,8 bucks a pack I'd quit, which might not be a bad thing.

I have a few drums of good tobacco set aside, as they store much longer. Along with all the papers, rollers, filters to go with them. My brand of American Spirits is $66 a drum, a good 45% less than a carton of tailer mades. I agree totally, I used to roll my own but got a bit lazy LOL.

BucketBack
05-13-2023, 10:30 AM
Found a 7 drawer Kennedy box and NIT rollaway for $75 with some precision tools in it. 10 tomato cages for $1 for all. 3 house plants to grow and resell

T-Man 1066
05-13-2023, 11:18 AM
If you got too many of them precision tools I might know a guy that would like them... :bounce:

Pics or it didn't happen!

Broncosfan
05-13-2023, 09:04 PM
Planted some cabbage in the garden. Clean the rain water storage tanks. I need to paint them or buy covers to keep the sunlight away from the water.
Also although its not really a so called prep. We planted 48 starts of tall grass in between the trees on the property line. Hopefully that gives us a little more privacy until the tree get mature. I can already tell a big difference since last year. It won't be long and we won't be able to see there house.

MountainGirl
05-14-2023, 06:51 PM
Planted some cabbage in the garden. Clean the rain water storage tanks. I need to paint them or buy covers to keep the sunlight away from the water.
Also although its not really a so called prep. We planted 48 starts of tall grass in between the trees on the property line. Hopefully that gives us a little more privacy until the tree get mature. I can already tell a big difference since last year. It won't be long and we won't be able to see there house.

Sure it's a prep. Anything that keeps you from shooting your neighbor is good preparation, imo. :bounce:

BucketBack
05-15-2023, 07:31 AM
If you got too many of them precision tools I might know a guy that would like them... :bounce:

Pics or it didn't happen!

I have many machinist tools, from GrandPa, Dad, and my many tool shop purchases that I probably will not use again.

Yesterday, Mrs BB bought a couple birdhouses for Mom's place, 40# of bird seed on the way home from the No Tell Hotel Hot Tub room for Mum's Day.

Note to self and other seniors--Snap throwing a Hippy Tool ( frisbee) with kids a 1/3 your age causes the elbow to become inflamed the next day. No jump shots with spins, and no curve balls.

Sparkyprep
05-28-2023, 10:53 AM
Spent a day in Cozumel, Mexico. Bought up some Amoxicillin, Penecillan, Ciprocillin, Z Packs, and Codean while I was there to add to the stash. (No prescriptions needed there. All available over-the-counter.)

Slippy
05-28-2023, 10:56 AM
Spent a day in Cozumel, Mexico. Bought up some Amoxicillin, Penecillan, Ciprocillin, Z Packs, and Codean while I was there to add to the stash. (No prescriptions needed there. All available over-the-counter.)

:bigthumbup:

SOCOM42
05-28-2023, 01:48 PM
For those who might be interested.

Yesterday I opened up a 55 gallon drum of K1 no dye.

The fuel had no preservative in it, it does now though, a large bottle of Stabil.

Of interest, IT HAD NOT SOURED ONE BIT!

The drum was filled 15 years ago! I had to move the drum to another place.

What I did do was to pump the fuel into another drum out of my way.

I think the only thing that was added(can't tell, tag is gone, weathered)was Prist a biocidal agent we used in turbine powered aircraft,

I really not even sure that was added, was a hectic time back then.

It is still good for what I will use it in, the Alpaca stoves, Aladdin lamps, Kerosun space heaters,

plus the regular flat wick lamps when the paraffin runs out, almost forgot the torpedo space heater.

Again, the big thing was it had not soured!

I let my daughter smell the difference between, kerosene, heating oil and soured kerosene, she thought it was disgusting.

Those Alpaca stoves will take and heat up my All American canning pressure cooker just fine.

Slippy
05-28-2023, 02:37 PM
:thumb:

The fuel had no preservative in it, it does now though, a large bottle of Stabil.

I think the only thing that was added(can't tell, tag is gone, weathered)was Prist a biocidal agent we used in turbine powered aircraft,

It is still good for what I will use it in, the Alpaca stoves, Aladdin lamps, Kerosun space heaters,

plus the regular flat wick lamps when the paraffin runs out, almost forgot the torpedo space heater.

I let my daughter smell the difference between, kerosene, heating oil and soured kerosene, she thought it was disgusting.

Those Alpaca stoves will take and heat up my All American canning pressure cooker just fine.

Inor
05-28-2023, 03:05 PM

Excellent prep! Starting Thursday, those will no longer be available in the states without a script (even for livestock). We picked up some extra Ivermectin, Rabies and Distemper vaccines for the dogs and a few others last week at the feed store. We are only about 30 miles from Ol Mexico but I REALLY do not want to go there just to get OTC drugs as it is the most dangerous place on the planet right now.

MountainGirl
05-28-2023, 04:57 PM

What a great getaway! Float or fly?

Jester-ND
05-28-2023, 06:38 PM

swear I thought you opened a 55 gallon drum of K-Y... then I thought SOCOM was on the warpath and someone was about to get royally F.U.C.K.E.D!!! but with a smidgeon of tenderness!

Broncosfan
05-28-2023, 07:46 PM
Planted a total of 60 tomato and pepper plants. Still have more to plant. The pull cord on the rototiller broke so I have to fix that hopefully in the morning. Finished planting the blackberries this week. Have a total of 7 planted. Looks like the late freeze we got a couple of weeks ago done a lot of damage to the fruit trees. It didn't totally wipe out our fruit but at this stage its impossible to tell what we will have come fall.

StratBastard
05-28-2023, 09:02 PM
swear I thought you opened a 55 gallon drum of K-Y... then I thought SOCOM was on the warpath and someone was about to get royally F.U.C.K.E.D!!! but with a smidgeon of tenderness!

Holy Geez Socom, you're getting way more action than me apparently. :biglaugh:

Sparkyprep
05-29-2023, 06:53 AM
What a great getaway! Float or fly?

Float. We stopped at the Bahamas, then Jamaica, then Grand Cayman, then Cozumel, then home.

Sparkyprep
05-29-2023, 06:54 AM
Excellent prep! Starting Thursday, those will no longer be available in the states without a script (even for livestock). We picked up some extra Ivermectin, Rabies and Distemper vaccines for the dogs and a few others last week at the feed store. We are only about 30 miles from Ol Mexico but I REALLY do not want to go there just to get OTC drugs as it is the most dangerous place on the planet right now.

I was worried about that, too. But, my worries were unfounded. At least on the island of Cozumel, we felt very safe, and it was very "tourasty", with a happy vibe.

StratBastard
05-29-2023, 07:15 PM
Found bins of these in the bulk section of Winco. Old Trapper beef and cheese stick, and Archer Teriyaki pork sticks. .68 for the pork, 1.28 for the beef and cheese. Says they last on the shelf for 1.5 years, which likely means double that. More cheap protein of the grab and go type, stick 'em right in your pocket. I gonna fill a coupla three tall coffee cans.

Inor
06-03-2023, 08:17 PM
Cleaned 30 meat chickens this morning.

Tomorrow, Mrs Inor will weigh and shrink wrap them. Then into the freezer and we will have chicken for 6 more months (with about half to give away/sell to friends and neighbors).

MountainGirl
06-04-2023, 05:17 AM

Tomorrow, Mrs Inor will weigh and shrink wrap them. Then into the freezer and we will have chicken for 6 more months (with about half to give away/sell to friends and neighbors).

That is fantastic, Inor, truly.

You might have said and I'm sorry I dont remember, but do you have a solar set up?
I recall you helped a neighbor with his... I envy your constant sunshine, btw.

(Seeing chickens in a freezer triggered my thought... the thought of losing all that awesomeness.)

Box of frogs
06-04-2023, 05:22 AM

I will be there in September and plan to do the exact same thing.
I had been told if you have a Rx that you can get up to a years worth of the item filled for those thing that are not OTC.
I would like to get about 1000 5mg prednisone in addition to some streptomycin and then some xan-nies for bartering
BoF

Box of frogs
06-04-2023, 05:35 AM

Inor - are you freezing them whole after cleaning or do you cut them up ?

Inor
06-04-2023, 08:42 AM
Inor - are you freezing them whole after cleaning or do you cut them up ?

We cut up about half, the other half we freeze whole. It is easier to freeze them whole, but they take up a lot of freezer space whole. (Freezer space is becoming a premium even with 2 freezers.)

Inor
06-04-2023, 08:47 AM
That is fantastic, Inor, truly.

You might have said and I'm sorry I dont remember, but do you have a solar set up?
I recall you helped a neighbor with his... I envy your constant sunshine, btw.

(Seeing chickens in a freezer triggered my thought... the thought of losing all that awesomeness.)

I do not have a solar setup. I look at doing it every year but I cannot justify the expense yet. Each freezer, we have 2, only burns about 200 watts. So a small generator will handle both without issue.

MountainGirl
06-04-2023, 10:07 AM
I do not have a solar setup. I look at doing it every year but I cannot justify the expense yet. Each freezer, we have 2, only burns about 200 watts. So a small generator will handle both without issue.

May you always have access to fuel. :halo:

Inor
06-07-2023, 11:03 AM
I got a roost built in the pasture for the turkeys, when they get big enough to put in the pasture.

I made it on skids so I can drag it around with the tractor to clean under it. I am pretty sure that turkey manure, like chicken manure, will be worth its weight in gold in the gardens and around the fruit trees.

I was a little concerned with how well the roost would be able to handle the donkey and the steer rubbing up against it. But my initial thoughts are that it is solid as a rock. I did go through the extra work of actually mortising and bolting the joinery. So think it will be strong enough. (Time will tell.)

The other thing I learned on this project is the shade cloth they sell at the garden centers is great stuff. They do make it in two qualities: the cheap stuff and the better stuff. The better stuff seems to be pretty tough. It also has big enough air holes in it that I do not think the winds we get here will destroy it quite so fast. Again, time will tell, but so far I am a "true believer".

hawgrider
06-07-2023, 08:42 PM
I got a roost built in the pasture for the turkeys, when they get big enough to put in the pasture.

I made it on skids so I can drag it around with the tractor to clean under it. I am pretty sure that turkey manure, like chicken manure, will be worth its weight in gold in the gardens and around the fruit trees.

I was a little concerned with how well the roost would be able to handle the donkey and the steer rubbing up against it. But my initial thoughts are that it is solid as a rock. I did go through the extra work of actually mortising and bolting the joinery. So think it will be strong enough. (Time will tell.)

The other thing I learned on this project is the shade cloth they sell at the garden centers is great stuff. They do make it in two qualities: the cheap stuff and the better stuff. The better stuff seems to be pretty tough. It also has big enough air holes in it that I do not think the winds we get here will destroy it quite so fast. Again, time will tell, but so far I am a "true believer".

Nice work.

It could be entertaining too especially when the turkeys are roosting when the beef gets frisky and gives it a shove. :biglaugh:

Inor
06-07-2023, 09:54 PM
Nice work.

It could be entertaining too especially when the turkeys are roosting when the beef gets frisky and gives it a shove. :biglaugh:

I'm counting on it! :biglaugh:

SOCOM42
06-08-2023, 07:16 AM
I bought some spam on sale at the BJ's club yesterday, the six packs were $11.00 down, from $15.00.

Would have posted this yesterday, but I got hit with a migraine attack on the way back, had pills, took them on the road.

almost lost all my vision driving home, went right to bed when back, right up until an hour ago.

They had either the classic or the low sodium, took the classic,

they had some problems with the low type a while back, but have about 36 cans of it on the shelf.

Also bought some bits and pieces of PEX-B fittings for a plumbing project coming up.

Did a bunch of gun work to pay for the PEX stuff.

The stuff is great to work with, no soldering of fittings and it is somewhat flexible. the Shark Bite fittings are good too.

The bitch is that I had to buy an electric crimping tool to do the job with, cost $180.00 with the battery,

cannot get into almost all the places with the hand crimpers, this job will start in about a month when the weather is warmer.

The heater went on about a half hour ago, it is set at 62 degrees right now, it is cold out.

Project next week is to dig a new dry well for the kitchen sink.

Daughter is doing the digging, I do the piping, I cannot shovel anything, the worse is shoveling snow,

I can push around a snow blower without much problem.

back is fucked for bending over and putting any stress on it,

worn out from carrying 100#-150# die sets around while building them back in the 70's-80's.

Some evenings next week, hopefully, I will get to convert two AR, A3 uppers to flat tops for red dots.

They have been sitting there for about a year, no rush on it.