PDA

View Full Version : What was your prep of the day?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

MountainGirl
06-08-2023, 08:13 AM
Today's project is to finish the List.
Tomorrow, the new pup will be at the Vet getting neutered - which leaves us 5 hrs for major shopping in town.
We're picking up the rest of the things on our "Close the Gate" prep. :)

Inor
06-08-2023, 10:37 AM
Would have posted this yesterday, but I got hit with a migraine attack on the way back, had pills, took them on the road.

Sorry to hear about that! Those migraines are a bitch! Mrs Inor used to get them bad. (Totally expected, living with me...)

One thing to try, that has worked well for her, is a high dose of caffeine. When she feels one first starting to come on, she makes a pot of espresso (about 4 of those little espresso cups) and downs the whole thing. That seems to take care of it. The doc had prescribed a med called "Cafergot" for it, but that fucked her up for the rest of the day. The espresso seems to do the trick without the side effects of the pills.

I don't know if there are different kinds of migraines, caused by different things, but this is at least worth a try...

Inor
06-08-2023, 10:55 AM
We planted 4 olive trees this morning.

Olive trees were never part of our plan, but... We have a part-time neighbor that planted about 30 acres of them for a small commercial venture. Once his planting was done, he had some extras and asked if we wanted them. So "sure, what the hell? Why not give them a shot"... Personally, I think it might be too cool here in the winter to grow olives, but maybe we can protect them in the winter with some straw. I think I will just run some temporary water lines to them, on top of the ground, for a year or so to see if they survive before I go through the work of trenching permanent irrigation to them.

It would be pretty cool if we can eventually get them to grow and be able to press our own olive oil though...

Prepared One
06-08-2023, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear about that! Those migraines are a bitch! Mrs Inor used to get them bad. (Totally expected, living with me...)

One thing to try, that has worked well for her, is a high dose of caffeine. When she feels one first starting to come on, she makes a pot of espresso (about 4 of those little espresso cups) and downs the whole thing. That seems to take care of it. The doc had prescribed a med called "Cafergot" for it, but that fucked her up for the rest of the day. The espresso seems to do the trick without the side effects of the pills.

I don't know if there are different kinds of migraines, caused by different things, but this is at least worth a try...

My deceased wife Melissa used to get horrible migraines and very strong coffee used to do the trick with her. She would drink a few cups of strong black coffee at the onset and it would curb it so she could at least function. Don't know why coffee works, but it does.

SOCOM42
06-08-2023, 02:40 PM

Thanks, but I have the meds for them, have had them since 1970 that I can remember.

I might have had one when I was in the army, they found me unconscious on the ground while on guard duty.

They put me into the hospital, thought it was malaria until the test came back, I was out for three day that trip.

I woke up with IV's in both arms, had no idea what happened, never considered it to be one until recently.

I have three different scripts for them One is taken twice a day everyday the other two are rescue meds.

I use to get 4-5 a week, now down to 2 average, some times one or two a month with the newest drug added.

Even with them stopped by the meds I am fucked for the rest of the day, usually bed ridden like yesterday.

It does not matter how far into the attack it gets, the net result is the same, I have to go to bed and close eyes.

My bedroom windows are covered over with plywood paneling to keep out the light,

all the pilots on the electronics have electrical tape over them, and I have a small blanket to cover my eyes.

I have three different types of ocular attacks, all three end in the same way if not stopped, me out like a light.

As it progresses my head starts to heat up like in an oven, it is like the heat causes me to pass out from it.

Coffee will not due the trick, It did not before when I drank a pot every day before noon time.

Cannot drink coffee anymore, only drink tea now, no booze or beer either.

Sparkyprep
06-11-2023, 12:46 PM
Trying out making up some pickled eggs for the pantry. I'll post pics when done.

Sparkyprep
06-18-2023, 03:22 PM

Just made one jar as an experiment. Haven’t tried them yet. Water-bath canned to be shelf stable.

Sparkyprep
06-18-2023, 03:28 PM

Also just got this year’s steer back from the butcher. 1100 lbs. of beef. He was a BIG steer. Filled one of my freezers, filled my daughter’s freezer, half-filled my mom’s freezer. My other chest freezer is about Hal-full of pork, fish, and venison. I’m set for meat for a while.

T-Man 1066
06-18-2023, 04:01 PM

Also just got this year’s steer back from the butcher. 1100 lbs. of beef. He was a BIG steer. Filled one of my freezers, filled my daughter’s freezer, half-filled my mom’s freezer. My other chest freezer is about Hal-full of pork, fish, and venison. I’m set for meat for a while.

Crap, everything gonna fall out, being upside down and all! ;)

Inor
06-18-2023, 05:09 PM

:potd:

That is a freakin' HUGE steer! Atta boy!

Sparkyprep
06-23-2023, 04:52 PM
Found a local landscaping company giving away free trash-mulch. Took a pickup truck load home, and re-mulched the chicken coop run.

Sparkyprep
06-27-2023, 04:02 PM
Finally signed a contract for a new tractor. $47,000!!!! Geesh!

hawgrider
06-27-2023, 06:10 PM
Ouch!

BucketBack
06-28-2023, 02:56 AM
Heading to the store to buy a 4 pak of hornet spray. There was a hardball size nest with a hole in the center, hanging in the awning of my front door@ 9 am yesterdayCallie got banged in the eye last week, no shot from the pen, but should have. Will be using the beekeepers top for sure.

It's probably softball size today. I'll hit it when poison is in hand today.Before the sun comes up, but how can I tell

with the damn smoke

eta - who would have thought farm stores in rural country don't open up until 8am

I found 2 used can of poison, 1 can failed after 5 seconds, the other blew the softball size nest down and I ran in my crocs. @ pairs of pants, gloves and the nice mesh hood gives great vision on destroying them sumbitches.

I still need to pick up a 4 pak of poison when TSC opens up

Slippy
06-28-2023, 06:59 AM

Youza!!

More details Sparky! Pics etc...

Slippy
06-28-2023, 07:00 AM
Heading to the store to buy a 4 pak of hornet spray. There was a hardball size nest with a hole in the center, hanging in the awning of my front door@ 9 am yesterdayCallie got banged in the eye last week, no shot from the pen, but should have. Will be using the beekeepers top for sure.

It's probably softball size today. I'll hit it when poison is in hand today.Before the sun comes up, but how can I tell

with the damn smoke

eta - who would have thought farm stores in rural country don't open up until 8am

I found 2 used can of poison, 1 can failed after 5 seconds, the other blew the softball size nest down and I ran in my crocs. @ pairs of pants, gloves and the nice mesh hood gives great vision on destroying them sumbitches.

Hornets/Wasps are surely the devil's spawn...

Prepared One
06-28-2023, 08:39 AM
Hornets/Wasps are surely the devil's spawn...

I see no reason for them to exist on this planet. I have about ten cans of Hornet spray at the ready, plus a couple in the general and the Truck. I hate them sons-of-bitches.

MountainGirl
06-28-2023, 08:48 AM

with the damn smoke

Do be careful. Two years ago yesterday, Tom bent over to pick up a patio umbrella.

Box of frogs
06-28-2023, 10:44 AM

What did you get ?

Box of frogs
06-28-2023, 10:51 AM
Ouch!

Slippy spends 2x this on a truck and gets a congratulations
Sparky buys a tractor and gets a “OUCH”

Go figure?
BoF

Chiefster23
06-28-2023, 03:11 PM

Go figure?
BoF

And sparky will keep his tractor for 20 years while slip will probably ditch the truck in 6 or less. LOL

Slippy
06-28-2023, 04:12 PM

Go figure?
BoF

And sparky will keep his tractor for 20 years while slip will probably ditch the truck in 6 or less. LOL

The Slippy School of Inventory Turns! :pirateflag:

Sparkyprep
06-28-2023, 05:29 PM
I intend to keep it until well past when I die. I bought a Kubota L4802 with a loader, pallet forks, and a 6' bush hog. No pics yet, since it hasn't been built yet.

hawgrider
06-28-2023, 06:42 PM

Go figure?
BoF

Sheeet ouch is appropriate I paid less for my first house. Truck prices are absolutely stupid too. I currently drive a nice 2002 Avalanche Z71 because I'll never pay 50 to 90k for a truck. I'm so cheap I have never in my 62 years ever bought a brand new car or truck. :biglaugh:

Slippy
06-29-2023, 06:25 AM
I intend to keep it until well past when I die. I bought a Kubota L4802 with a loader, pallet forks, and a 6' bush hog. No pics yet, since it hasn't been built yet.

Very nice Sparky! I think you'll love it. Pics for you knuckleheads that haven't seen a Kubota L02 Series tractor. 40+ Horsepower I believe.

Sparkyprep
06-29-2023, 03:24 PM
48 HP, to be exact. It is a fairly large-frame for a "compact tractor". Going to be running a 6' bush hog

TJC44
06-29-2023, 05:18 PM

Please enlighten us...How exactly do you plan to keep it AFTER you die? Are you going to be buried with it?

T-Man 1066
06-29-2023, 06:10 PM
If I have to, I will volunteer to be your tractor's caregiver in the event of your untimely passing...

Slippy
06-29-2023, 07:17 PM
48 HP, to be exact. It is a fairly large-frame for a "compact tractor". Going to be running a 6' bush hog

Diggin' it!

I did get to thinking about my new truck and Sparky's new tractor;

Sparky paid about $1k per each Horsepower in his new tractor...

I'll assure you my new F250 Diesel did not cost me $475,000! :kool:

:damn:

Sparkyprep
06-29-2023, 07:30 PM
Please enlighten us...How exactly do you plan to keep it AFTER you die? Are you going to be buried with it?

Easy. This land, and everything on it, will be passed on to my children, just like it was passed to me, like it was passed to my dad, and his dad. I'm old school. This shit will NEVER be for sale.

Inor
06-29-2023, 08:38 PM

48HP would be big enough to run a tiller! (I REALLY want a tiller but with my little 35HP, it is not in the cards...)

Sparkyprep
06-30-2023, 03:11 PM
48HP would be big enough to run a tiller! (I REALLY want a tiller but with my little 35HP, it is not in the cards...)

A 6' tiller is in the plans

Chiefster23
07-04-2023, 09:44 AM
I’m spending $ on prep stuff. Had the Amish put a new steel roof on the barn. And they are coming to side the south facing side of the barn where the sun and weather have taken a hard toll on the planks. I snaked out the clogged pipe between my spring and cistern where the water flow was reduced to a trickle. Had a new insulated 316 SS liner put in my chimney (and chimney repaired) that should last me my lifetime. Trying to get everything upgraded, repaired, and restocked before the hammer falls. Just a few things left. Hell! I even bought an old fashioned human powered push lawn mower so we can keep the grass short and the tick population down when/if gas becomes scarce. I should get a scythe for the areas away from the house.

Prepared One
07-04-2023, 10:04 AM
I ran the main house generator yesterday to make sure we are good for Hurricane season. It's been hotter than hell here this June so I imagine the waters in the gulf are nice and warm. I am maybe 60 miles or so from the gulf so flooding won't be the issue (Our place has never flooded, not even during Harvy) but, with all the trees here we will lose power.

Sparkyprep
07-04-2023, 10:19 AM
I ran the main house generator yesterday to make sure we are good for Hurricane season. It's been hotter than hell here this June so I imagine the waters in the gulf are nice and warm. I am maybe 60 miles or so from the gulf so flooding won't be the issue (Our place has never flooded, not even during Harvy) but, with all the trees here we will lose power.

For those of us in hurricane-prone areas, NOW is a great time to test those generators! Thanks!

BucketBack
07-04-2023, 11:32 AM
I found items in the back building that are moving with us. Outdoor wrought iron garden items I guess. Planters, and more planters

SOCOM42
07-04-2023, 01:48 PM
We have been putting a new dry well for half of the place.

Hole was dug last Thursday.

Since then, we have had about 14 inches of rain, it is still pouring out right now.

I do have a rain gage in my weather station.

The runoff has washed away one side of the hole partially filling it in.

Right now the hole is about 1/3 filled with water.

That hole was dug by hand because of its location, will have to be done again.

My daughter dug the damn thing, she is disappointed with all this friggin rain, so am I.

The real bitch is all the trap rock was in, now all those fines have infiltrated it.

The job was to have been completed Sunday.

Good idea on genset testing, have two 20 pound tanks in back of jeep to fill.

Power was out here for an hour Sunday morning, storm took out a tree somewhere.

I use the propane in my primary generator, gas and Diesel in the others.

I am getting slower in my old age.

Chiefster23
07-04-2023, 03:46 PM
Don’t forget to stock up lots of non-ethanol gas, and add stabilizer.

MountainGirl
07-04-2023, 06:12 PM
I’m spending $ on prep stuff. Had the Amish put a new steel roof on the barn. And they are coming to side the south facing side of the barn where the sun and weather have taken a hard toll on the planks. I snaked out the clogged pipe between my spring and cistern where the water flow was reduced to a trickle. Had a new insulated 316 SS liner put in my chimney (and chimney repaired) that should last me my lifetime. Trying to get everything upgraded, repaired, and restocked before the hammer falls. Just a few things left. Hell! I even bought an old fashioned human powered push lawn mower so we can keep the grass short and the tick population down when/if gas becomes scarce. I should get a scythe for the areas away from the house.

Hey! You're really getting things done, Chief. Most Excellent :thumb:
The push mower is a great idea; might add that in here. No way we'd do 2 acres with it but around the house...youbetcha.
How ya doing on the food prep inventory? We're doing better at cycling through... using the 2018 canned goods now - and they're just fine. :)

Chiefster23
07-05-2023, 05:13 AM
The push mower is a great idea; might add that in here. No way we'd do 2 acres with it but around the house...youbetcha.
How ya doing on the food prep inventory? We're doing better at cycling through... using the 2018 canned goods now - and they're just fine. :)

Gradually increasing the food preps. Went thru my stash and threw a lot of stuff out that was way expired. The push mower came from Lee Valley Tools. They have 3 different sizes. If necessary to use, we would only keep the fenced area immediately around the house mowed. Ticks here are a big problem. The rest of the property could grow up wild with maybe a few paths cut between buildings, gardens, etc. we would definitely be wearing long pants and boots due to ticks. Lyme disease is pretty common here, even in humans.

Box of frogs
07-05-2023, 06:24 AM
Gradually increasing the food preps. Went thru my stash and threw a lot of stuff out that was way expired. The push mower came from Lee Valley Tools. They have 3 different sizes. If necessary to use, we would only keep the fenced area immediately around the house mowed. Ticks here are a big problem. The rest of the property could grow up wild with maybe a few paths cut between buildings, gardens, etc. we would definitely be wearing long pants and boots due to ticks. Lyme disease is pretty common here, even in humans.

Chiefster. If you can have chickens at your location, that will really help with ticks.
Just two - four birds would give you plenty of eggs for two people and they are tick eating machines.
Since our 18 hens are free ranging around the yard and house we hardly ever get a tick bite this season.
Last season was awful for them.
BoF

Jester-ND
07-12-2023, 10:43 PM
ordered 200 more rounds of 308...

MountainGirl
07-13-2023, 07:17 AM
ordered 200 more rounds of 308...

PO - you see that? LOLOL

Jester - somebody who sleeps in my bed is lookin real hard at another 308.
I'm gonna try an get him to take us 'shopping' today. :biglaugh:

Prepared One
07-13-2023, 08:50 AM
PO - you see that? LOLOL

I see it baby, let's go to the gun stores.

MountainGirl
07-13-2023, 09:37 AM
I see it baby, let's go to the gun stores.

YAY!!! :girldancer:

BucketBack
07-13-2023, 10:01 AM

I donated 3 boxes (6 flats) of 2018- 2020 canned goods on Tuesday, with more going back this afternoon. I'm keeping the fresh stuff, and what doesn't fit of that, will go to the needy next door neighbor.

I thought I was stocked, I forgot what Callie had and still has at Grimey's Tin Shack.:ughh:

Then I just found 3 - #15 cases of :bacon: in the stand up barn freezer :party:

BucketBack
07-13-2023, 10:10 AM
PO - you see that? LOLOL

08:17 EDT is a few hours ahead of there.

hawgrider
07-13-2023, 03:46 PM
Recovering from a flood. My shit got trashed so as usual life got harder fuckitol refill needed stat!

MountainGirl
07-13-2023, 05:19 PM
PO - you see that? LOLOL

Well.... we went shopping. PO didn't get lucky but... I DID !!

SW 9mm No Safety Equalizer; came with 3 mags (10+1, 13+1, 15+1) and a loader!!
The best part is - it's the FIRST pistol I can rack, operate the slide release, all of it!!
Ran 20 rounds through it in this 95F heat - ting! ting! ting!
Very happy with the way it handles; it's gonna be my carry. :D

$500. PO bought it for me. :lovers:

MountainGirl
07-13-2023, 05:25 PM
Recovering from a flood. My shit got trashed so as usual life got harder fuckitol refill needed stat!

Damn Hawg, that really sux.
Do you have a lot to replace?

T-Man 1066
07-13-2023, 05:35 PM

Basement flood or 1st floor? Bad deal either way...

Ricekila
07-13-2023, 05:59 PM

This hard ?

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Sandy/.highres/Capture_zps2zvl6o8j.png?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Sandy/.highres/Capture_zps2zvl6o8j.png?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds)

Or this hard ?

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Sandy/.highres/3-Apr-2_zpsgmygwwkf.jpg?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Sandy/.highres/3-Apr-2_zpsgmygwwkf.jpg?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds)

P/S --- mandatory flood pic ?

Ricekila
07-13-2023, 06:21 PM
Since we moved into this box ( over 55+ apt. ) I got rid / gave away 99.9% of all my preps ----- moving inland about 2 miles instead of being 6" above high tide ---- now we're about 25' above sea level - and on the 2ed. floor so add another 10' ---- and now i know how much room I have to fuck with --

And the Squeak is the fussiest eater on the fucking planet --- I got her an MRE - #7 ---- we'll see what happens -- even I got tired of eating Spaghetti-O's

Its own thread to follow -- L

hawgrider
07-13-2023, 06:43 PM
Damn Hawg, that really sux.
Do you have a lot to replace? Saved my guitars and amps. Lost some leather supplies and some carpet ect. Have to move a ton of furniture and crap to high ground.

Basement flood or 1st floor? Bad deal either way... Yup the dungeon freaking egress window. Poured in like Niagara falls.

hawgrider
07-13-2023, 06:46 PM
This hard ?

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Sandy/.highres/Capture_zps2zvl6o8j.png?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Sandy/.highres/Capture_zps2zvl6o8j.png?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds)

Or this hard ?

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Sandy/.highres/3-Apr-2_zpsgmygwwkf.jpg?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Sandy/.highres/3-Apr-2_zpsgmygwwkf.jpg?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds)

P/S --- mandatory flood pic ?

It was all assholes and elbows saving the goods no pics by me were taken.

T-Man 1066
07-13-2023, 06:53 PM
You in the bottoms? Crap, yea, you better buy a home with a still-on-the-hill...

Prepared One
07-13-2023, 07:08 PM
Tell us what you need Hawg.

T-Man 1066
07-13-2023, 07:17 PM
I assume bourbon... ????

Inor
07-13-2023, 07:38 PM
I assume you and the rest of the family are all okay?

hawgrider
07-13-2023, 07:41 PM
You in the bottoms? Crap, yea, you better buy a home with a still-on-the-hill... Yup temporarily at my kids place until we find a house.

Tell us what you need Hawg. My own house

I assume bourbon... ???? and yes mass quantities!

hawgrider
07-13-2023, 07:42 PM
I assume you and the rest of the family are all okay?

Yeah just wore out mentally and physically. Nothing booze and drugs wont cure :biglaugh:

Box of frogs
07-13-2023, 08:07 PM
Yeah just wore out mentally and physically. Nothing booze and drugs wont cure :biglaugh:

Tough hand there brother
Holler if you need anything. No shit, if you need a hand message
BoF

StratBastard
07-13-2023, 08:12 PM
Saved my guitars and amps.

Gotta love a guy who has his priorities straight. :bigthumbup:

Sparkyprep
07-13-2023, 08:24 PM
Damn Hawg. I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. Seriously, if you need any help, of any kind, let us know.

Ricekila
07-13-2023, 09:18 PM
It was all assholes and elbows saving the goods no pics by me were taken.

When hurricane Sandy hit --- you could have timed the water rising with a calendar --

Slippy
07-13-2023, 09:28 PM
Excellent!

The best part is - it's the FIRST pistol I can rack, operate the slide release, all of it!!

Slippy
07-13-2023, 09:29 PM
Hang in there Hawg, floods suck.

StratBastard
07-13-2023, 10:06 PM
Achieved my goal of 6 months of tobacco and bourbon.

I cheated on the bourbon: decided to go dry for the summer, see how it affects my glucose and triglyceride levels... they have actually improved with no meds needed. Amazing how the bourbon stash builds up when you keep yer mitts out of it LOL. Whodathunkit?

Jester-ND
07-13-2023, 10:40 PM

still need a 308......... we have 5.... is why I usually load up on 08

Prepared One
07-14-2023, 09:21 AM
I assume bourbon... ????

That's a given. :bigthumbup:

Prepared One
07-14-2023, 09:27 AM
Yup temporarily at my kids place until we find a house.

My own house

and yes mass quantities!

At least you and yours are safe and were able to save the valuables. I have been through some floods in my days in Houston and have had to do the same thing you did. Unplug and move as much as you can to high ground. It sucks rocks.

Prepared One
07-14-2023, 09:33 AM

Yeah, it's a sweet little pistol. I may get one myself. I saw reviews on YouTube and it got good reviews from what I saw. The best thing is MG can manipulate the slide with no issues. It has a grip safety but no external safety so it is point and shoot.

I go shopping for another 308 and she winds up getting a pistol and I come home with nothing? How does that happen? :lost:

Slippy
07-14-2023, 10:01 AM
Achieved my goal of 6 months of tobacco and bourbon.

I cheated on the bourbon: decided to go dry for the summer, see how it affects my glucose and triglyceride levels... they have actually improved with no meds needed. Amazing how the bourbon stash builds up when you keep yer mitts out of it LOL. Whodathunkit?

Way to go Strat!

Truth be known, I LOVE BOURBON.

But, I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER WHEN I'M DRINKING TEQUILA!

Corn vs Agave perhaps? :pacman:

Slippy
07-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Yeah, it's a sweet little pistol. I may get one myself. I saw reviews on YouTube and it got good reviews from what I saw. The best thing is MG can manipulate the slide with no issues. It has a grip safety but no external safety so it is point and shoot.

I go shopping for another 308 and she winds up getting a pistol and I come home with nothing? How does that happen? :lost:

I've not heard much about the SW Equalizer series. Interesting.

The older I get, the more I gravitate toward the larger frame semi-autos.

Let us hear a range review!

Prepared One
07-14-2023, 10:19 AM
I've not heard much about the SW Equalizer series. Interesting.

The older I get, the more I gravitate toward the larger frame semi-autos.

Let us hear a range review!

MG was ringing steel with it yesterday. I have not shot it yet. Not sure she will let me. :biglaugh:

MountainGirl
07-16-2023, 09:03 AM
It took a while for me to accept that I just don't like "canning" (water bath or pressure) - so - I'm pretty much keeping the dehydrator running 24/7...and I'll use the jars for storage, vacuum sealing some for long term. Did sliced mushrooms overnight; pepper/onion blend in there now; ground beef will be next. :)

Box of frogs
07-16-2023, 09:58 AM
It took a while for me to accept that I just don't like "canning" (water bath or pressure) - so - I'm pretty much keeping the dehydrator running 24/7...and I'll use the jars for storage, vacuum sealing some for long term. Did sliced mushrooms overnight; pepper/onion blend in there now; ground beef will be next. :)

I like the idea of this as an alternative to canning.
Summertime over a hot pot of brine or a pressure cooker is not the best use of one’s time.
Just saying

MountainGirl
07-16-2023, 10:59 AM
I like the idea of this as an alternative to canning.
Summertime over a hot pot of brine or a pressure cooker is not the best use of one’s time.
Just saying

No kidding!

Part of the untold story - is my InstantPotMax canner failed (I gave it to PO for a target, he had fun, lol)

I told him, everything can fail - power, septic, etc; as long as we can hand pump water to filter/drink I'm good.
Even hot&cold outside temps I can deal with - but this heat/humidity combination? Nope. Not possible.
He understands that if the A/C fails, I cant live here.

SOCOM42
07-16-2023, 04:28 PM
Over all of yesterday, I worked my ass off outside.

We finished up the new dry well for the kitchen, filled back in the dirt.

I made and we ate supper at midnight.

I went to bed and passed out right away.

Woke up at ten this morning to a bunch of thunder.

There was a loud bang much earlier, around 4 AM that half woke me

It was pouring like crazy out before I got up.

I took a quick look at my weather station, it indicated that we got ten inches of rain overnight.

I thought that was mistake, went and made my tea.

When I looked out the door I was confused at what I was looking at.

The wheel barrow was filled with water right to the top!

Then my brain pieced together the image coherently.

I could not see down the pathway, there was a huge chunk of a maple tree in the way,

And big branches from a pine hanging in the maple over the deck!!!

Weather warns of flooding here, I think we will get a foot or so in about two to three days.

The river is up about two feet right now from the last two weeks of rain, about a foot and a half worth.

There were some local power outages but not right here.

I am wiped out from yesterday, so, no tree removal until tomorrow.

Update on this at 7 PM, That large branch is whole fucking tree!!

A third of it is sitting on top of my shop.

First time out there today, out with the dogs.

Inor
07-16-2023, 08:55 PM
Built another nesting box for the egg chickens.

I am going to have to put my foot down on getting more egg chickens! We are already getting about 10 times more eggs than two people can eat and we still have 6 chickens that are yet to start laying! I think Mrs Inor has designs on letting the newest ones brood their eggs. I am not sure I really like that idea but "happy wife, happy life"...

At least the damn turkeys are out in the pasture now.

hawgrider
07-16-2023, 09:12 PM
Over all of yesterday, I worked my ass off outside.

We finished up the new dry well for the kitchen, filled back in the dirt.

I made and we ate supper at midnight.

I went to bed and passed out right away.

Woke up at ten this morning to a bunch of thunder.

There was a loud bang much earlier, around 4 AM that half woke me

It was pouring like crazy out before I got up.

I took a quick look at my weather station, it indicated that we got ten inches of rain overnight.

I thought that was mistake, went and made my tea.

When I looked out the door I was confused at what I was looking at.

The wheel barrow was filled with water right to the top!

Then my brain pieced together the image coherently.

I could not see down the pathway, there was a huge chunk of a maple tree in the way,

And big branches from a pine hanging in the maple over the deck!!!

Weather warns of flooding here, I think we will get a foot or so in about two to three days.

The river is up about two feet right now from the last two weeks of rain, about a foot and a half worth.

There were some local power outages but not right here.

I am wiped out from yesterday, so, no tree removal until tomorrow.

Update on this at 7 PM, That large branch is whole fucking tree!!

A third of it is sitting on top of my shop.

First time out there today, out with the dogs.

That sounds like the storm that hit us a couple days ago.

Slippy
07-17-2023, 06:45 AM

:chopper:

MountainGirl
07-17-2023, 07:31 AM

I am going to have to put my foot down on getting more egg chickens! We are already getting about 10 times more eggs than two people can eat and we still have 6 chickens that are yet to start laying! I think Mrs Inor has designs on letting the newest ones brood their eggs. I am not sure I really like that idea but "happy wife, happy life"...

Nice build!!

Inor - with all those extra eggs PLEASE consider doing this.
Slide down to post #24 for best method.
Easy peasy. Protein long-term on the shelf.

https://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?20271-Dehydrating-Eggs

Slippy
07-17-2023, 07:53 AM

Very nice indeed! Inor got skill!

We're down to 3 layers. Time to get 6 more chicks...

Michael_Js
07-17-2023, 10:06 AM
We have 13 chickens - not all lay. We sell them to people at work: well, her work, and a former co-worker of mine. $5 a dozen...seems to be the going price around here for organically raised chickens (nothing official as you can't state that...)

Inor
07-17-2023, 06:40 PM
Nice build!!

Inor - with all those extra eggs PLEASE consider doing this.
Slide down to post #24 for best method.
Easy peasy. Protein long-term on the shelf.

https://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?20271-Dehydrating-Eggs

HAHAHA!!! I wish you and PO were near by. I know you guys like your eggs. We are getting so many I cannot give them away anymore! :biglaugh:

Selling them at the farmer's market is not worth the time. Around here, they are only going for about $3 per dozen. We are at that point where we are getting far too many to eat but not enough to go into business with them. Our neighbors all have as many as they want and I still have 6 more eggers yet to come online! (Right now, we are getting about 10 dozen per week.)

SOCOM42
07-17-2023, 08:48 PM
Well as said, the storms over the last two weeks put a lot of water down around here.

My thoughts about flooding are now coming round.

A few hours ago the water had shown up in the lowest part of the land, about eight inches worth.

There will be more to come, it takes about three days for the flood water to get here.

The stuff that comes down on top of me goes right into the lake, and down the river.

It is the rain 5-7 miles away that gets the flooding going, the ground is pre-saturated with the local stuff.

Might have a foot of it out there tomorrow morning.

Two of our dogs had fun in the flooding created pond right behind the shop, about three feet deep.

It would take another 3-1/2 feet to get to the shop floor.

Slippy
07-18-2023, 06:32 AM
Flooding is a mean nasty bitch, stay dry SOCOM.

Well as said, the storms over the last two weeks put a lot of water down around here.

A few hours ago the water had shown up in the lowest part of the land, about eight inches worth.

There will be more to come, it takes about three days for the flood water to get here.

The stuff that comes down on top of me goes right into the lake, and down the river.

It is the rain 5-7 miles away that gets the flooding going, the ground is pre-saturated with the local stuff.

Two of our dogs had fun in the flooding created pond right behind the shop, about three feet deep.

SOCOM42
07-18-2023, 09:21 PM

Well, now the water has come up around a foot+, over the town road, closing it to any traffic.

Did not find about the road closing until we went to go to a doctor appointment today.

The water is up in the yard a foot also, more to come.

Just found out, a tornado passed right by us about three miles Sunday during the downpour.

Coming back from the doc's we ran right into a huge T-storm.

The rain was so heavy that traffic stopped for about 20 minutes, was like nighttime.

The trip is the longest we have to go on for an appointment, 50+ miles.

Have another tomorrow, IF we can get through the water.

It has been 3 feet over the town road in the past many times.

Prepared One
07-19-2023, 09:12 AM
Well, now the water has come up around a foot+, over the town road, closing it to any traffic.

Did not find about the road closing until we went to go to a doctor appointment today.

The water is up in the yard a foot also, more to come.

Just found out, a tornado passed right by us about three miles Sunday during the downpour.

Coming back from the doc's we ran right into a huge T-storm.

The rain was so heavy that traffic stopped for about 20 minutes, was like nighttime.

The trip is the longest we have to go on for an appointment, 50+ miles.

Have another tomorrow, IF we can get through the water.

It has been 3 feet over the town road in the past many times.

Stay high and dry my friend.

Chiefster23
08-06-2023, 06:14 AM
So far canned 13 quarts of my peaches (in white grape juice). Shooting for 24 quarts total. I didn’t have a bumper crop this year but these are the biggest peaches I’ve ever got. Last year I found a guy that taught me the proper way to prune my tree and apparently he was right. The tree wasn’t overloaded and the peaches are huge.

Broncosfan
08-12-2023, 08:56 PM
I canned 10 quarts of tomatoes and juice and 8 quarts of green beans this week. A little slower this year than in past years. I bought a 300 gallon tank to fill with diesel fuel today. I have a few things to fix before filling. Its a stainless steel tank and has never been filled as far as I can tell. 24296

Sparkyprep
08-13-2023, 11:32 AM
I got my new tractor! (See thread)

Inor
08-13-2023, 09:44 PM
I picked up 2 old power supplies for desktop computers for free! One is 300 watts, the other is 600 watts. WOO HOO!!!

If you are not familiar with desktop computer power supplies, they are the handiest things to keep around. Basically, it is just an AC to DC power converter with circuitry to "clean up" the DC power before it comes out so the power is usually really clean. They are really easy to rig up for use in a variety of projects that require DC power.

1 - All of the black wires are ground.

2 - To get it to operate without being connected to a computer motherboard, all you need to do is jump the green wire to any black wire.

3 - All of the orange wires output 3.3 volts.

4 - All of the red wires output 5 volts.

5 - All of the yellow wires output 12 volts.

6 - In the rare cases where you might need -12 volts, those are the blue wires.

That's it!

I usually just chop off the plastic connectors. Then I connect the green wire to any black wire and push that connection back inside the power supply case. The rest of the wires, I just sort out so I can use them for various projects.

When the power supply does eventually go bad, do not just throw it away! They have a big honkin' capacitor inside them that is also useful. Just be very careful removing the capacitor as it does have enough power to kill you when it is fully charged.

Jester-ND
08-17-2023, 05:33 PM
couple of batches of green beans freeze-dried and mylar bagged.

Broncosfan
08-19-2023, 08:59 PM
Today I was able to can 11 quarts of green beans. Made several trays of onion rings that are now in the freezer. Still have plenty of onions so I guess we will make at least one more batch.

Michael_Js
08-19-2023, 09:48 PM
The only tree in the orchard producing: Greensleeves apples! Cored, sliced, soaked in water and some apple cider vinegar. Then dehydrate (8 hrs, 135 deg) and munch on the delicious crispy snack! Lot smore to go!! They store well in an airtight container, but I will make them as I go...

Slippy
08-20-2023, 06:34 AM
The only tree in the orchard producing: Greensleeves apples! Cored, sliced, soaked in water and some apple cider vinegar. Then dehydrate (8 hrs, 135 deg) and munch on the delicious crispy snack! Lot smore to go!! They store well in an airtight container, but I will make them as I go...

Thats a whole lot of YUMMY!

Broncosfan
08-27-2023, 07:01 PM
11lbs of onions after dehydrating in jars 24620

I have a little over 8lbs of garlic in the smoker now that has a smoking tube that should burn into the morning 24621

11 more quarts of green beans done. Total of 41 quarts so far.

Covered the grapes with bird netting to give me a few extra days to get them done.

1skrewsloose
08-27-2023, 07:06 PM
^^^Garlic in the smoker!!! Never had, but bet they taste fantastic. Gotta get me a smoker.

I use liquid smoke a lot but it can't compare to the real deal.

Broncosfan
08-27-2023, 07:09 PM
^^^Garlic in the smoker!!! Never had, but bet they taste fantastic. Gotta get me a smoker.

I smoke it until it gets a nice color. Then in goes in the food processor, then the dehydrator then into a coffee grinder. I vacuum seal it in pint jars to use or give away. It makes some really good garlic salt!

1skrewsloose
08-27-2023, 07:15 PM
Appreciate the skinny on this!

Chiefster23
08-27-2023, 07:38 PM
A new prep thought occurred to me today. Most modern faucets take a cartridge insert instead of an old fashioned washer. I’m pretty sure these cartridges are made in China. I’m going to disassemble all my faucets to check sizes and buy one complete set to have on hand just in case. Also best to have some spare circuit breakers on hand in case these become scarce. Also going to stock a few spare air and oil filters for the oil furnace.

Inor
08-27-2023, 08:52 PM
A new prep thought occurred to me today. Most modern faucets take a cartridge insert instead of an old fashioned washer. I’m pretty sure these cartridges are made in China. I’m going to disassemble all my faucets to check sizes and buy one complete set to have on hand just in case. Also best to have some spare circuit breakers on hand in case these become scarce. Also going to stock a few spare air and oil filters for the oil furnace.

EXCELLENT idea!!! I had not thought of that but I will definitely be making a trip to Homie Despot next weekend now that you brought it up. Thanks!

Prepared One
08-28-2023, 08:32 AM

Not a bad idea. We stock extra air filters for the AC and heat but I have not thought of extra breakers. I'll have to double check my faucets. A trip to Lowe's is in my future.

BucketBack
08-28-2023, 08:37 AM

All the sinks and faucets were updated when Pop retired in '96

Washers for the faucets are taped to the drain under the sinks.

Chiefster23
08-28-2023, 11:35 AM
Lots of circuit breakers are made in the USA and readily available now. Who knows in a year or two. I have an old “pushmatic” breaker box that is no longer made. The only new breakers available for this are made in China. So I bought some new Chinese breakers and managed to scrounge a complete pushmatic load center that a buddy removed during an electrical upgrade. So basically I have a complete set of replacements on hand.

MountainGirl
08-28-2023, 02:29 PM
Lots of circuit breakers are made in the USA and readily available now. Who knows in a year or two. I have an old “pushmatic” breaker box that is no longer made. The only new breakers available for this are made in China. So I bought some new Chinese breakers and managed to scrounge a complete pushmatic load center that a buddy removed during an electrical upgrade. So basically I have a complete set of replacements on hand.

Likely not the case - but fyi - some of the chinese wall plug receptacles in this house are just a hair smaller than US ones - so anything we plug in with a big prong and a small prong wont go in, unless you 'hammer' them in. Hopefully your breakers fit :)

Sparkyprep
08-28-2023, 07:37 PM
Topped off my fuel reserves getting ready for this storm. No worries.

Box of frogs
08-28-2023, 08:06 PM

Hunker down and stay safe
Check in when it had passed

BoF

Prepared One
08-29-2023, 09:13 AM

Hang tuff Sparky, I have been down that road a few times. This looks to be a cat 4 maybe by the time it makes landfall.

BucketBack
08-29-2023, 10:29 AM
Since Krazy Kasey won't stop playing in traffic

https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/368505340_6506165112830637_3923866470161010734_n.j pg?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=1a0e84&_nc_ohc=BgzJYJq89FQAX-O0KUb&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfA6U3_tqk6S1MwsFOlynaw9drBk3vk-k7k34TissSZ3IQ&oe=64F3BECA

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1287797452128395/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

$300 from my half nephew neighbors

eta -the shiny part is silver paint after inspection. But it's set up here now

Sparkyprep
08-29-2023, 04:29 PM
Hang tuff Sparky, I have been down that road a few times. This looks to be a cat 4 maybe by the time it makes landfall.

I've been down this road more times than I can count in the last 45 years. I know exactly what to do.

Slippy
08-29-2023, 05:04 PM
I've been down this road more times than I can count in the last 45 years. I know exactly what to do.

Yes indeed!

Hurricanes don't scare me...its the idiots who might act a fool after the hurricane winds and rain pass, that I prepare for...:bongodrums:

Sparkyprep
08-29-2023, 06:00 PM
Yes indeed!

Hurricanes don't scare me...its the idiots who might act a fool after the hurricane winds and rain pass, that I prepare for...:bongodrums:

That is what the firearms are for.

Chiefster23
08-30-2023, 07:17 AM
Spare faucet cartridge update! So I remove one cartridge from each of 4 faucets in the house and head to the hardware store. The store has 3 in stock. But the 4th has ceramic inserts and is from a very expensive spigot I bought as part of a claw foot tub restore. The hardware store has no parts and cannot identify to even order parts in. Long story short, the inserts fall out and crack. Now the faucet leaks continuously. I have to buy a whole new cheap in-stock unit to the tune of $120! 3 trips to the hardware store! The wife is pissed. The store employees are laughing their asses off. Water shut off in the house for 3 hours. No good prepping deed go unpunished! Please disregard any future bright ideas from me. I am a retard!

T-Man 1066
08-30-2023, 07:36 AM
Some days you're the dog, some days just the dog's ass...

You will be redeemed at some point when it does spring a leak and you are ready.

Prepared One
08-30-2023, 08:59 AM

Yep, in over 40 years in Houston I have lost count. They don't worry me as I am well prepared, but Like slippy said, it's the morons after the storm passes you have to watch. After Harvey, we had a lot of looting. I was high, dry, and safe but there were a lot of Darwin theory contestants out and about.

1skrewsloose
08-30-2023, 09:40 AM
Spare faucet cartridge update! So I remove one cartridge from each of 4 faucets in the house and head to the hardware store. The store has 3 in stock. But the 4th has ceramic inserts and is from a very expensive spigot I bought as part of a claw foot tub restore. The hardware store has no parts and cannot identify to even order parts in. Long story short, the inserts fall out and crack. Now the faucet leaks continuously. I have to buy a whole new cheap in-stock unit to the tune of $120! 3 trips to the hardware store! The wife is pissed. The store employees are laughing their asses off. Water shut off in the house for 3 hours. No good prepping deed go unpunished! Please disregard any future bright ideas from me. I am a retard!

No shut off's at all individual sinks, toilets, clothes washer, showers? Shut off's are a must have. Every New years day I exercise all the valves in the house, just a habit from when I worked maintenance. If they weren't so ugly I'd put in ball valves instead of gate valves.

hawgrider
08-30-2023, 10:43 AM
No shut off's at all individual sinks, toilets, clothes washer, showers? Shut off's are a must have. Every New years day I exercise all the valves in the house, just a habit from when I worked maintenance. If they weren't so ugly I'd put in ball valves instead of gate valves.

Yes on ball valves they last and preform much better than the standard chrome stop valves.

Chiefster23
08-30-2023, 11:00 AM

Unfortunately, no shut offs to the tub, but sounds like a good idea for me to install some. Hopefully this project won’t require 3 trips to the hardware store!

T-Man 1066
08-30-2023, 11:09 AM

With our super hard lime water here, I try to cycle the valves every 3 months or better, or they lime up and get stuck.

For the record there are gravel pits here like friggin 7-11's. I have areas I can dig maybe 8-12" deep and hit shell limestone.

1skrewsloose
08-30-2023, 02:14 PM
Just to add, the same time we cycled water valves we'd cycle all the circuit breakers, 110, 240, 440, and the mains entering the building. May or may not be needed everywhere, but I vent the dryer to inside the basement in winter to get some moisture in the house. For some reason wet environments and electricity don't play well together.:)

Kinda a bother to go around and reset all the house clocks.

MoreAmmoOK
08-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Got my new bow saw today. It's a 30" Bahco. The only one I could find for a reasonable price that wasn't Chink made. Made in Portugal or Sweden or a factory somewhere in Europe from what I learned. Looks to be good quality. Should cut firewood when nothing else is working. The two replacement blades haven't arrived yet. The most likely point of failure looks like the rivet that holds the front end of the blade, could easily be replaced with a nut and bolt. Now I have two bow saws, both 30" and will soon have a total of 4 replacement blades.

1skrewsloose
08-30-2023, 09:38 PM
My Dad always referred to them as "Swedish bow saws", never just a bow saw, old norwegian.

Every one who considers themselves a prepper should have one, at least. Amazing how fast you can cut through stuff with little effort.

Inor
08-30-2023, 09:56 PM
Got my new bow saw today. It's a 30" Bahco. The only one I could find for a reasonable price that wasn't Chink made. Made in Portugal or Sweden or a factory somewhere in Europe from what I learned. Looks to be good quality. Should cut firewood when nothing else is working. The two replacement blades haven't arrived yet. The most likely point of failure looks like the rivet that holds the front end of the blade, could easily be replaced with a nut and bolt. Now I have two bow saws, both 30" and will soon have a total of 4 replacement blades.

Bow saws/Frame saws are freakin' AWESOME! I have a couple that I made for doing fine joinery on furniture projects. For cutting firewood, a simple production model is fine. For doing precision work, it is best to just buy the blade and make your own frame to fit your hand and working style. The blades are pretty cheap, even for an extremely high quality one. And the frames are easy to make from scrap hardwood.

The last couple blades I have bought have been from these guys:

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/bow-saw-frame-saws-blades.aspx

I cannot recommend them strongly enough! Get one (or several) and learn to use them. They are really easy to use once you get the muscle memory for them.

1skrewsloose
08-30-2023, 10:23 PM
Lehman's has them. US made.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/lehmans-bow-saw/

Retired , like to go to estate sales, good places to pick up old school stuff, been looking for an adz. Don't have a lot of occasions to use one, but want one.

I'm no carpenter by a long, long shot, not my thing, but like manual wood working tools.

MountainGirl
08-31-2023, 05:17 AM

Retired , like to go to estate sales, good places to pick up old school stuff, been looking for an adz. Don't have a lot of occasions to use one, but want one.

I'm no carpenter by a long, long shot, not my thing, but like manual wood working tools.

Nice to see they're back in stock. I tried to buy one from them first year on the mountain - sold out.
I picked up a few hand saws, including a metal bow saw, from the local hardware store when we first got down here.
Hand tools, especially those that cut brush/limbs/firewood are a must.

I wonder how Sparky is doing. Hope to hear soon.

SOCOM42
08-31-2023, 07:03 AM
You can get a tubular bow saw from Home Depot from $10.00-$15.00.

I have two of theirs, they work well.

One resides with my two man crosscut saw for SHTF.

Inor
08-31-2023, 10:33 AM

If you are looking for a good adze, these are the best I have ever used:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/search#q=hand%20adze&t=product-search-tab&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=25

But, a word of caution... When you buy the adze, also make sure you buy a good set of leather shin guards to go with it! There are a lot of one-legged Norwegians and Swedes running around and most of them are due to adzes!

1skrewsloose
08-31-2023, 11:46 AM
If you are looking for a good adze, these are the best I have ever used:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/search#q=hand%20adze&t=product-search-tab&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=25

But, a word of caution... When you buy the adze, also make sure you buy a good set of leather shin guards to go with it! There are a lot of one-legged Norwegians and Swedes running around and most of them are due to adzes!

When I was younger my father had one but was sold at auction when he passed, I'm hip to almost chopping off your leg/foot. They probably should have a warning label issued with the sale, kidding, if you don't know the dangers, don't play with it.:)

Checked out the site, those don't look like the one we/I used, ours had longer handle and a wider blade. Thanks tho, I'll keep looking.

MoreAmmoOK
08-31-2023, 08:34 PM
The handmade bow saws are nice, some day I'll make one. I was looking for an inexpensive NOT made in China one. The Bahco one fit the bill.

Broncosfan
09-02-2023, 09:21 PM
After another power outage last weekend I talked with an electrician this week and he will be installing a generator interlock on our main panel outside. He will hardwire the generator into the outside box. The generator will sit inside the new building we built last year for security. Will make things a lot simpler. After the power went off last Saturday at 3am the restore time was 9 am then 3 pm and it finally came on at 5:30 pm. Got the generator put back up and the dang power went back off a little after 10 pm. Came back on at 2am or so. No storms in our area, Our power comes through a national forest in south Ohio. So it doesn't seem to take much to knock it out. Should be installed by mid month.

Broncosfan
09-02-2023, 09:26 PM
Got 35 pints of salsa done yesterday. 12 quarts of green beans done today. I think I'm done with the beans. Although there still producing and over 6' tall. I have more tomatoes once they get a little more ripe so another batch of salsa more than likely. Picking concord grapes tomorrow so grape jam to make this week. Still need to make pepper jelly and some more Cowboy Candy. Hoping to wrap canning up this week except I still need to make some apple butter and maybe some apple sauce just depends how the apples look once picked.

1skrewsloose
09-02-2023, 09:29 PM
Sounds somewhat of what the neighbors used to have, had laying hens (28000), birds would suffocate without ventilation. Once the PTO gen was hooked up they would flip a switch on the pole. Don't know how that all works.

Broncosfan
09-02-2023, 09:55 PM
Sounds somewhat of what the neighbors used to have, had laying hens (28000), birds would suffocate without ventilation. Once the PTO gen was hooked up they would flip a switch on the pole. Don't know how that all works.

Its basically a fair safe. You cannot turn the generator breaker on or else you already have the main off. The generator back flows through your electric panel. That way someone doesn't accidently light up an electrical lineman that is working on power lines. This way its always safe and legal.

MountainGirl
09-03-2023, 06:29 AM
Its basically a fair safe. You cannot turn the generator breaker on or else you already have the main off. The generator back flows through your electric panel. That way someone doesn't accidently light up an electrical lineman that is working on power lines. This way its always safe and legal.

We had a generlinc installed on the pedestal - to hook the gen to - and it feeds the whole house; we'll shut off all the breakers first, then after starting the gen will flip back on only the ones needed. Haven't tried it yet, need to lose the grid to do that lol.

Oh - when you're doing your apples?
Maybe think about making/putting up some apple cider vinegar with the scraps.
VERY good stuff (medicinally) to have on hand. PO takes it often for gout, etc.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar-and-your-health

T-Man 1066
09-03-2023, 07:01 AM

Bahco makes good quality blades. I buy them for my 3 metal cutting bandsaws in the shop. Good stuff.

stevekozak
09-03-2023, 09:30 AM
We had a generlinc installed on the pedestal - to hook the gen to - and it feeds the whole house; we'll shut off all the breakers first, then after starting the gen will flip back on only the ones needed. Haven't tried it yet, need to lose the grid to do that lol.

Oh - when you're doing your apples?
Maybe think about making/putting up some apple cider vinegar with the scraps.
VERY good stuff (medicinally) to have on hand. PO takes it often for gout, etc.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar-and-your-health

I take ACV every day. It helps with my acid reflux. I just generally feel better when I am taking it.

Prepared One
09-03-2023, 10:17 AM
I take ACV every day. It helps with my acid reflux. I just generally feel better when I am taking it.

I love the stuff. I used suffer horrible bouts of gout, but since I started taking ACV I have not had a bout in years.

Michael_Js
09-03-2023, 12:00 PM
3 more quarts of Bred 'n Butter pickles! :) Tried the first batch and they came out great! Yum!

Jester-ND
09-03-2023, 10:05 PM
2 batches of freeze dried peaches ready/going.

Broncosfan
09-04-2023, 09:16 PM
Picked 63lbs of Concord grapes over the weekend. We have them ready now to start making jam this week. Got another 4 pints of dehydrated onion done and vacuum sealed and in jars.

hawgrider
09-08-2023, 01:07 PM
Getting deer camp ready October 1rst is coming fast.
Brush hog and trail cams out this weekend.

Chiefster23
09-09-2023, 09:05 AM
My garden is basically done. Just 1 tomato and a couple of sweet peppers left for daily salads. Cleaning all the plants out and getting ready to repair the raised beds where damaged and worn. I’ll take this years garden as a success. Next years garden will be smaller. After I harvested all I wanted, I tried to give away the excess. Most folks refused. Some are “takers”. Always willing to take what I offer but never willing to share their excess. So going to downsize some.

Broncosfan
09-09-2023, 10:25 AM
Finished up this years salsa run with 94 pints. Our 2nd highest year totals. I froze 3 batches of grape pulp to make jam later if needed. I ended up with 29 half pints and 18 pints of grape jam. I did also make a couple of jars with no sugar just fruit and a couple of jars with very little sugar but there in the refrigerator. I'm waiting to make some biscuits to see how we like those. I still have green beans producing like crazy but I'm not sure I have the get up and go to pick them today!

1skrewsloose
09-09-2023, 05:46 PM
Wow, you've been a busy man.

Michael_Js
09-09-2023, 06:35 PM
Just prepping another batch of cucumbers to become canned pickles tomorrow.
The Roma's are starting to ripen, so time to dry those and the millions of Cherry tomatoes and start canning ;)

Piratesailor
09-10-2023, 10:12 AM
Ammo.. more ammo.. LOL

Prepared One
09-11-2023, 09:23 AM
Ammo.. more ammo.. LOL

You got that right. I suspicion we may need it before too long. :shitstorm:

TJC44
09-15-2023, 06:28 PM
Had 2 cord of firewood delivered last night. Spent today stacking it all up and covering it before Lee gets here. Tied off the smoker and the gas grill (the wind likes to grab the grill cover and try to take it off). Topped up the generator, ran that last weekend. Lee is expected to lose punch before it gets here, but I still have a TS warning, even being inland.

Sparkyprep
09-15-2023, 07:59 PM
Had 2 cord of firewood delivered last night. Spent today stacking it all up and covering it before Lee gets here. Tied off the smoker and the gas grill (the wind likes to grab the grill cover and try to take it off). Topped up the generator, ran that last weekend. Lee is expected to lose punch before it gets here, but I still have a TS warning, even being inland.

Stay safe, brother

hawgrider
09-15-2023, 08:08 PM

Save the smoker at all costs! :shocked:

SOCOM42
09-15-2023, 08:35 PM

I will get the same weather here as him.

My genset is always hooked up.

I did unlock the main breaker panel for quick access.

Filled the last empty 20 pound propane tank yesterday.

All 20 and 100 pounders are now filled.

Edit; me brain dead, 20 pound not 25 pound, WTF?

StratBastard
09-15-2023, 10:13 PM
Been wanting one of these for awhile now, finally ordered one and it arrived today.

My all-electric kitchen needed a propane appliance LOL. This has a converter hose so I can run 1 pound or 30 pound propane tanks.

Now I can make bread, biscuits, muffins, casseroles, pizza, cornbread with no electricity.

Michael_Js
09-15-2023, 11:51 PM
Been wanting one of these for awhile now, finally ordered one and it arrived today.

My all-electric kitchen needed a propane appliance LOL. This has a converter hose so I can run 1 pound or 30 pound propane tanks.

Now I can make bread, biscuits, muffins, casseroles, pizza, cornbread with no electricity.

Brand & purchase info please :) My oven, which runs on propane, won't turn on without electricity. I can use the stovetop though. Might be interested in this!

Thank you

StratBastard
09-16-2023, 12:24 AM
Brand & purchase info please :) My oven, which runs on propane, won't turn on without electricity. I can use the stovetop though. Might be interested in this!

Thank you

Wutup Michael?

I have the link below. If you have Amazon Prime, it's delivered free.

It's a Camp Chef Outdoor Oven. I paid $238 for it. Another $19 for a six foot, 20 pound to one pound converter hose. I can use either.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Outdoor-Oven/dp/B0013LLSZG/ref=asc_df_B0013LLSZG?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80539278509586&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138857627390&th=1&psc=1

Box of frogs
09-16-2023, 06:03 AM
I’m in the same boat.
The house is total electric but my stove is gas with a propane conversion.
I have two vertical 100# cylinders in duplex to run the stove. I’m guessing each one lasts about 10-12 months.
However if the power is out I can only run the stove top unless I plug the generator in
BoF

MountainGirl
09-16-2023, 09:45 AM
Wutup Michael?

I have the link below. If you have Amazon Prime, it's delivered free.

It's a Camp Chef Outdoor Oven. I paid $238 for it. Another $19 for a six foot, 20 pound to one pound converter hose. I can use either.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Outdoor-Oven/dp/B0013LLSZG/ref=asc_df_B0013LLSZG?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80539278509586&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138857627390&th=1&psc=1

Those are really cool.
Wish there was a place to buy one in person: the last review vid on the link showed how the first two arrived damaged. :-/
Glad yours did not.

SOCOM42
09-16-2023, 01:16 PM
I’m in the same boat.
The house is total electric but my stove is gas with a propane conversion.
I have two vertical 100# cylinders in duplex to run the stove. I’m guessing each one lasts about 10-12 months.
However if the power is out I can only run the stove top unless I plug the generator in
BoF

My 100# tanks last 12-4 months each, using just the stove top.

I do not use the oven at all, anything an oven would be used for here is done in a Emeril oven.

The wood stove does the oven work during the cold months, using Dutch ovens.

MountainGirl
09-17-2023, 05:51 AM
With the taxes in Oregon, a carton of smoxe is $112. I too have a good stash of rolling stuff for the back end... after my 20 cartons are gone (I figure to cut down/ration when I have to, a carton should last a month). I had a drum of American Spirit that kinda got lost in the shuffle and sat on the shelf for 8 years. It was fine. Altogether over 2 years of smoxe stashed. :)

I need to go shopping; down to 4 stacked.
Already cut back, 1carton=40days
Good to know re the drum lasting;
if AS drummed menthol I'd be in.
Might pick one up anyway, with that shelf life.
And a pipe or two.

1skrewsloose
09-17-2023, 06:35 AM
Interesting, like shawshank redemtion, smokes were the currency.

MountainGirl
09-17-2023, 07:15 AM
Interesting, like shawshank redemtion, smokes were the currency.

We're gazillionaires - if/when the currency becomes smokes, booze, meds.

Sparkyprep
09-17-2023, 04:50 PM
For about 2 months now, I have been eating down my grocery stores. I need to eat it before it goes bad, then I will replenish with new. I have found canned goods that were a year past expiration date, but were still good. Things like ketchup though, I had to throw away. That hurts.

StratBastard
09-17-2023, 10:29 PM
For about 2 months now, I have been eating down my grocery stores. I need to eat it before it goes bad, then I will replenish with new. I have found canned goods that were a year past expiration date, but were still good. Things like ketchup though, I had to throw away. That hurts.

I had an enormous stockpile of old food. At the time, I was prepping to care for maybe a dozen people, so there was no way to even try and eat it and rotate it.

When I made my move 2 years ago, I tossed everything over 10 years old. It was a lot. A LOT.

But here's how I look at it: it was an insurance policy. It served its purpose for a decade, and covered those under my wing.

I spent the next year merely replacing it with new, and am fully prepped again food-wise. Having learned a few things even in the last ten years, I improved on my choices too.

Michael_Js
09-17-2023, 11:04 PM
4 more quarts of Bread and Butter pickles and 2 quarts of "sun" dried Roma tomatoes...
Drying more apple slices now for snacks...

BucketBack
09-18-2023, 03:40 AM
Taking a window in for new sealed glass, should be done Friday. This way Mrs BB can watch the Maine Coons watch the bird feeders easier

MountainGirl
09-18-2023, 04:17 AM

How did you know the ketchup was bad?

Wish there was a way to know on some things without opening them...other than experience, lol. I opened a 2yr past date on a plastic jar of peanut butter. Rancid!! Had to toss it and the other 5 that were stored. Makes sense, the fats/oils. But ketchup?

MountainGirl
09-18-2023, 04:24 AM
I had an enormous stockpile of old food. At the time, I was prepping to care for maybe a dozen people, so there was no way to even try and eat it and rotate it.

When I made my move 2 years ago, I tossed everything over 10 years old. It was a lot. A LOT.

But here's how I look at it: it was an insurance policy. It served its purpose for a decade, and covered those under my wing.

I spent the next year merely replacing it with new, and am fully prepped again food-wise. Having learned a few things even in the last ten years, I improved on my choices too.

Enormous here, too. When I moved the food up from Katy, I left behind anything older that 2018 (other than his buckets of rice, etc). Now, we have cupboards and drawers jammed with canned goods we'll never eat, this side of starvation. Kinda sad, really.

Chiefster23
09-18-2023, 06:15 AM
Canned goods may still be safe to eat, but I hate that ‘tin’ taste they get from the cans. I’ve been buying Del Monte hoping that the more expensive cans will last longer before getting that off metallic taste. This thread reminds me to check my stash. I know I have some old stuff that needs pitched and replaced.

Box of frogs
09-18-2023, 06:30 AM
Canned goods may still be safe to eat, but I hate that ‘tin’ taste they get from the cans. I’ve been buying Del Monte hoping that the more expensive cans will last longer before getting that off metallic taste. This thread reminds me to check my stash. I know I have some old stuff that needs pitched and replaced.

It is my understanding that all food cans are lined.
DelMonte uses a white resin liner where other brands use a clear or pale amber colored liner.
We used to manufacture food grade can liners. You don’t want to know what goes into them, same chemical we use to make paint and polyester.
Just my two cents.

Slippy
09-18-2023, 06:52 AM
Lemon Pepper seasoning and salt tend to eliminate the metallic taste from the cans...for me at least.

BucketBack
09-18-2023, 07:21 AM
We just donated the food that wouldn't fit. mostly 2018 - 23 ish dates left

Jester-ND
09-18-2023, 08:14 AM
I am like strat, I see it as insurance. yes lots of things on my shelves or freezer are past their expiration date. I have transitioned away from stocking comfort foods we eat, and now approach it like SOCOM, shit-ton of the staples that take a long time to go bad. Rice, dry beans, sugar, salt, pasta. yes, you may get sick of eating them, but you will be alive to be sick of eating them!!

The freeze dryer helps! now I have much longer before the comfort foods expire. Focusing on fruits, candy, stew meat/burger, eggs, cheese. then I can still have comfort foods!

MountainGirl
09-18-2023, 09:13 AM
I am like strat, I see it as insurance. yes lots of things on my shelves or freezer are past their expiration date. I have transitioned away from stocking comfort foods we eat, and now approach it like SOCOM, shit-ton of the staples that take a long time to go bad. Rice, dry beans, sugar, salt, pasta. yes, you may get sick of eating them, but you will be alive to be sick of eating them!!

The freeze dryer helps! now I have much longer before the comfort foods expire. Focusing on fruits, candy, stew meat/burger, eggs, cheese. then I can still have comfort foods!

FYI, I found that pasta, left in its own packaging, goes stale kinda fast; the flour in it I suppose. 2yr old macaroni noodles smelled so bad I tossed a bunch of it. Good to have on hand, for sure - but maybe re-seal it up for long term.

PO but a bottle of Tabasco & spice packets in each of the buckets of his mylared-up beans & rice. :)

Prepared One
09-18-2023, 09:24 AM
FYI, I found that pasta, left in its own packaging, goes stale kinda fast; the flour in it I suppose. 2yr old macaroni noodles smelled so bad I tossed a bunch of it. Good to have on hand, for sure - but maybe re-seal it up for long term.

PO but a bottle of Tabasco & spice packets in each of the buckets of his mylared-up beans & rice. :)

I also have a few buckets of pasta in buckets and mylar, along with seasonings. The can goods are good insurance. They may not taste great or deliver the same caloric input after the expiration date but they will last years. If someone pulls the plug we will eat.

MountainGirl
09-18-2023, 09:38 AM
I also have a few buckets of pasta in buckets and mylar, along with seasonings. The can goods are good insurance. They may not taste great or deliver the same caloric input after the expiration date but they will last years. If someone pulls the plug we will eat.

Well, okay then. As long as we can also drink, smoke, shoot and **** then I guess eating is fine. :)

Prepared One
09-18-2023, 09:45 AM
Well, okay then. As long as we can also drink, smoke, shoot and **** then I guess eating is fine. :)

:bigthumbup:

MountainGirl
09-18-2023, 12:00 PM
:bigthumbup:

:blow:

Jester-ND
09-18-2023, 02:43 PM
stale food is still edible......

Sparkyprep
09-18-2023, 03:54 PM
Enormous here, too. When I moved the food up from Katy, I left behind anything older that 2018 (other than his buckets of rice, etc). Now, we have cupboards and drawers jammed with canned goods we'll never eat, this side of starvation. Kinda sad, really.

The ketchup had turned to a VERY dark red, and didn't smell quite right.

StratBastard
09-18-2023, 04:11 PM
I did attempt to donate much of the food to the local food kitchens. Some wouldn't take any cans past their expiration dates (ridiculous) and some would. Here's a guy at Food for Lane Country accepting one of two truckloads I donated.

Inor
09-18-2023, 08:49 PM
The ketchup had turned to a VERY dark red, and didn't smell quite right.

We were running into the same problem - ketchup and mustard turning dark and going bad, pasta getting bad flavors, etc...

The solution we came up, which has been working well for about 10 years now, is to go through our food stuffs that we eat frequently and would not want to be without and work backwards to figure out how to make them from scratch. Particularly, ketchup, mustard and pasta are stupid easy to make and really do not take much time. Then we just stock the component ingredients. Most of the ingredients will last almost forever if you do not mix them up. Then we just make them as we want them.

For example, ketchup is just tomato paste, salt, sugar and garlic. Mustard is even easier, it is just ground mustard seed, salt, and either water, wine or vinegar.

The last time I was in the UK I found I can buy the mustard seed pre-ground in bulk even cheaper than buying bottles of French's mustard at the stores here, plus it is MUCH better. So I just ordered 10 pounds of it when I got home which should be enough to last the rest of my life.

Pasta is the same thing: flour, salt and water. You can add in an egg or some olive oil or garlic powder for added flavor. But the flour basically lasts about 5 years if it is ground or about 30 years if you just store the wheat and grind it as you use it.

The long and short of it is: if you go through the foods that you really like and break them down into ingredients, you will find there are only about 30-40 things you need to basically make everything you are eating now. Doing it this way, the stuff basically lasts forever, is about half the price or less AND you get much higher quality because you can season it exactly how you like best. (Plus it takes a LOT less space in the pantry.)

The only negative is it does take a little more time to prepare (especially when you are first figuring it out). But even that is minimal once you get the process worked out. I am guessing, over the course of a year we spend maybe an hour per week between the two of us at absolute most doing everything from scratch.

It is a strategy that is at least worth considering.

MountainGirl
09-19-2023, 04:19 AM
We were running into the same problem - ketchup and mustard turning dark and going bad, pasta getting bad flavors, etc...

The solution we came up, which has been working well for about 10 years now, is to go through our food stuffs that we eat frequently and would not want to be without and work backwards to figure out how to make them from scratch. Particularly, ketchup, mustard and pasta are stupid easy to make and really do not take much time. Then we just stock the component ingredients. Most of the ingredients will last almost forever if you do not mix them up. Then we just make them as we want them.

For example, ketchup is just tomato paste, salt, sugar and garlic. Mustard is even easier, it is just ground mustard seed, salt, and either water, wine or vinegar.

The last time I was in the UK I found I can buy the mustard seed pre-ground in bulk even cheaper than buying bottles of French's mustard at the stores here, plus it is MUCH better. So I just ordered 10 pounds of it when I got home which should be enough to last the rest of my life.

Pasta is the same thing: flour, salt and water. You can add in an egg or some olive oil or garlic powder for added flavor. But the flour basically lasts about 5 years if it is ground or about 30 years if you just store the wheat and grind it as you use it.

The long and short of it is: if you go through the foods that you really like and break them down into ingredients, you will find there are only about 30-40 things you need to basically make everything you are eating now. Doing it this way, the stuff basically lasts forever, is about half the price or less AND you get much higher quality because you can season it exactly how you like best. (Plus it takes a LOT less space in the pantry.)

The only negative is it does take a little more time to prepare (especially when you are first figuring it out). But even that is minimal once you get the process worked out. I am guessing, over the course of a year we spend maybe an hour per week between the two of us at absolute most doing everything from scratch.

It is a strategy that is at least worth considering.

It's not only worth considering - it might be a really smart thing to do now that they're putting who knows what into processed food. Crickets, mRNA, etc.

I used to make all my flat noodles, grandma taught me. Inna bowl, egg, half-egg of water, little salt, and as much flour as it will take. Roll it out thin, cut into strips, leave them lay while you get the rest of dinner together. As a kid, the best part of Sundays was heading to grandma's after church for dinner, chicken & noodles, :)

Thanks for the reminder, Inor. I've got plenty of time, for this.

Add: !! Another use for my 50 doz eggs powdered & ready. They'll reconstitute perfectly for this. :)

MountainGirl
09-19-2023, 04:55 AM

Hey? Can you tell us about your set up for this? What kind of wheat berries do you store, how are you storing them, what kind of grinder do you guys use?

Major thanks!

Prepared One
09-19-2023, 08:53 AM
I remember my Grandma making home made pasta for Lasagna and other dishes. Seemed to me at the time it was labor intensive, but then again I was a kid and all I wanted was supper on the table. I remember it being worth the wait.

Inor
09-19-2023, 10:11 PM
Hey? Can you tell us about your set up for this? What kind of wheat berries do you store, how are you storing them, what kind of grinder do you guys use?

Major thanks!

We have the Country grain mill.

https://www.countrylivinggrainmills.com/products/grain-mill/

But a caveat... Do not even consider getting one without the electric motor (and transmission) to go with it! Grinding anything with it by hand absolutely sucks javalina balls! And the meatheads that claim it is easier turning it by connecting it to a bicycle have obviously never tried it! If you want to save some cash, do not buy the motor and transmission from the Country people; you can get the exact same thing on W.W. Granger for about half the price. But you DEFINITELY want the motor!

As for the wheat... I buy it from the Mormons. It comes in cases of 6 #10 cans in each case with O2 absorbers. About twice per year they have sales and offer free shipping. So that is when I buy.

Before you go out and buy a bunch of wheat, order some Red wheat and White wheat to see which you like better. They do taste very different. (Personally, I prefer the white.)

Finally, if you are going to make pasta (regardless of whether you use store bought flour or your own), spend the $20 and get a cheap hand-crank pasta machine from Amazon. That is HUGE time saver. It makes the noodles all the same thickness and cuts them into whatever size you want. When we make noodles, we just get an assembly line going: Mrs Inor mixing the dough and me running it through the pasta machine and hanging them to dry. We make enough noodles for 3 months in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Chiefster23
09-20-2023, 05:53 AM
Inor! Are you Mormon? I used to buy stuff from them, but then they changed and required some kind of church identification number before they would process my orders. I’m not Mormon and idon’t know any so I can’t buy from them as it stands now.

hawgrider
09-20-2023, 06:30 AM
Made a peck of concord grapes into jam yesterday. Bah! Canning is a pain in the ass!

Prepared One
09-20-2023, 08:00 AM
I ordered bulk ammo. 9MM, 308, and 5.56. The gun grabbers would be very unhappy with me.

Inor
09-20-2023, 08:10 AM
Inor! Are you Mormon? I used to buy stuff from them, but then they changed and required some kind of church identification number before they would process my orders. I’m not Mormon and idon’t know any so I can’t buy from them as it stands now.

I'm not Mormon. But I am up to my ears with them around here. Their main web site does (or at least did) allow anybody to buy from them. I have not been there for a while, so maybe they changed it?

BucketBack
09-20-2023, 09:25 AM
I just found several large flat rate boxes of 556 , 9mm, 30/06 . :getdown:

Some of the 556 is swaged, most not and needs a tumble.

The 44 mag came in a small flat rate box.

20 bags of 25# shot, new bags are 22 # now. WTF ?

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Images/BAM%20Lead.jpg

I just figured out I need to get a 90 day supply of pillage or pay a $4 copay for a 30 day supply.

Then I can buy some Preparation H with my OTC creds to smooth out my bank account raping for MediCare deduction.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/BAM-Lead-Shot-9-080-200mm-22/productinfo/UB09/

Inor
09-21-2023, 10:39 PM
The fall batch of meat chickens came today.

They are about 3 weeks later than I wanted but this is the soonest that I was able to schedule them. I'm not sure if there are that many more people raising chickens now than last year due to inflation or if there is some kind of shortage going on with birds this year. We have been having trouble getting young birds all year. We had a hard time getting turkeys last spring too. If you are considering raising birds (or if you need to replace some of your existing flock), it is something you might want to look into now before your need becomes urgent.

Sparkyprep
09-22-2023, 06:10 PM
The fall batch of meat chickens came today.

They are about 3 weeks later than I wanted but this is the soonest that I was able to schedule them. I'm not sure if there are that many more people raising chickens now than last year due to inflation or if there is some kind of shortage going on with birds this year. We have been having trouble getting young birds all year. We had a hard time getting turkeys last spring too. If you are considering raising birds (or if you need to replace some of your existing flock), it is something you might want to look into now before your need becomes urgent.

Everyone has had a hard time getting chicks for about 3 years now. It's not just you.

Broncosfan
09-22-2023, 08:41 PM
We have the Country grain mill.

https://www.countrylivinggrainmills.com/products/grain-mill/

But a caveat... Do not even consider getting one without the electric motor (and transmission) to go with it! Grinding anything with it by hand absolutely sucks javalina balls! And the meatheads that claim it is easier turning it by connecting it to a bicycle have obviously never tried it! If you want to save some cash, do not buy the motor and transmission from the Country people; you can get the exact same thing on W.W. Granger for about half the price. But you DEFINITELY want the motor!

As for the wheat... I buy it from the Mormons. It comes in cases of 6 #10 cans in each case with O2 absorbers. About twice per year they have sales and offer free shipping. So that is when I buy.

Before you go out and buy a bunch of wheat, order some Red wheat and White wheat to see which you like better. They do taste very different. (Personally, I prefer the white.)

Finally, if you are going to make pasta (regardless of whether you use store bought flour or your own), spend the $20 and get a cheap hand-crank pasta machine from Amazon. That is HUGE time saver. It makes the noodles all the same thickness and cuts them into whatever size you want. When we make noodles, we just get an assembly line going: Mrs Inor mixing the dough and me running it through the pasta machine and hanging them to dry. We make enough noodles for 3 months in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Inor Do you happen to remember what time of the year do they usually have the sales?

Box of frogs
09-22-2023, 09:44 PM
We have not had any problems with buying chicks the last two years
BoF

Sparkyprep
09-24-2023, 08:03 AM
Last year, I placed a small order with Murry McMurry, and had to wait 7 months for delivery.

stevekozak
09-24-2023, 06:56 PM
We have not had any problems with buying chicks the last two years
BoF

I can usually talk them into bed and don't have to buy them.

Piratesailor
09-25-2023, 11:39 AM
More .22lr at Wally World. Decent price.

Garden puked out this year for a number of reasons… mainly lack of care and the drought.

Box of frogs
09-30-2023, 04:54 PM
Put 40# of boneless chicken skinless breast in vacuum sealed bags and into the deep freezer
Founds a persimmon tree on the back side of the property.
Changed the oil and filter on the Subaru
Put a butt and two loins on the smoker
Boiled 21 eggs for tuna salad tomorrow
Started boiling chicken for chicken salad tomorrow
Took Mrs BoF for a ride during half time of the UGA game ( best 15 minutes of her life)
Ran the dogs to the creek and put 100# of corn in the deer feeder back there
Tightened the ratchet straps on all my deer stands.
Now I’m having a beer.

BoF

Jester-ND
09-30-2023, 07:57 PM
dropped about $900 at walmart.......

Box of frogs
09-30-2023, 08:32 PM

That’s a lot of tuna, rice, and beans.

Broncosfan
09-30-2023, 08:35 PM
Got 4 boxes of 44 mag for the new Marlin while I had discount codes for Cabelas. Been so busy I just dropped off a couple of guns and let the gunsmith clean them. Done a little trading so it didn't cost me much. Looking forward to getting the Marlin out a test it out a bit soon.
Still need to do a bit more canning but not sure how much I will get done. Hate to waste but not enough time to go around lately.

StratBastard
09-30-2023, 10:27 PM

There are some good prep deals to be had there. My latest find from Wal Mart, only like $1.62 a can.

Jester-ND
10-01-2023, 09:50 AM
actually, wasn't much prep-wise.... Pheasant opener this coming weekend, had to get some crap for the crew that comes up.

as daily prep activities, have been transferring 20lb bags of white rice and sugar into repurposed bottles. figure they are air-tight and keep the moisture out.

bigwheel
10-01-2023, 06:10 PM
Hope Jester grabbed some of the Great Value brand Sardines in Louisiana Hot Sauce. They are tops. The hotsauce sorta hides the fish smell.

1skrewsloose
10-01-2023, 06:21 PM
Hope Jester grabbed some of the Great Value brand Sardines in Louisiana Hot Sauce. They are tops. The hotsauce sorta hides the fish smell.

They say once you get past the smell, you got it licked.:)

Chiefster23
10-13-2023, 09:57 AM
I recently serviced my small Honda genny. Changed oil, fresh fuel, cleaned air filter, etc. I also have a lot of spares in house for this generator. Today I changed the diesel fuel in my mil surplus diesel genny. It sits in my barn away from the house, but I have it wired so I can back feed power into my home. BUT I HAVE NEVER TESTED IT! So today or tomorrow this arrangement gets tested right after I finish up repairs to my raised beds.

Going to buy two new starting batteries for the diesel generator. The existing batts are 6 years old and not bad, but getting old. I strongly suspect we will be experiencing grid problems soon so home power generation equipment is a priority here now. All fuel cans have been filled and stabilizer added.

I’m going to do all my normal machinery maintenance now instead of normally in the spring. And then immediately replace all the filters, oil, and such so that I have spares enough to cover next fall too.

Too many balls are juggling in the air right now. I’m pretty sure that shit is gonna get “ REAL” very soon and I have no faith that our government is going to be of much use when the “bad stuff” starts.

MountainGirl
10-13-2023, 01:49 PM

Too many balls are juggling in the air right now. I’m pretty sure that shit is gonna get “ REAL” very soon and I have no faith that our government is going to be of much use when the “bad stuff” starts.

Dont forget to breathe, Chief. It's gonna be okay. I'm thinkin the "REAL" most of us will face will be in shortages, getting parts, high prices, etc... and maybe some moving targets from time to time. It sounds like you've covered the bases pretty well. Better than us on some things. As far as the gov helping - the best thing those feckless fruit-loops can do IMO is stay the hell out of the way. Main thing is to stay healthy...so relax when you can, dont stroke out. :)

Slippy
10-13-2023, 04:27 PM
Ready for the Friday October 13 Jihad...

hawgrider
10-13-2023, 06:29 PM
Ready for the Friday October 13 Jihad...

You're gonna need more bullets.

SOCOM42
10-13-2023, 07:16 PM
Your gonna need more bullets.

More bullets and more mags!

Today my prepping was to be, doing the back shocks on one Jeep,

getting a new battery for one genset, then going to Harbor Freight and get a headlamp.

I got as far as replacing one shock.

Several things hindered the process, last but not least dropping the bolt and nut into the leaves.

Tomorrow I will finish the job, then run the other errands, into the valley of the shadow of death.

The Harbor Freight is in a high risk zone, there may well be asshole "students" demonstrating around there.

I WILL BE well armed going there.

None of these bastards are going to stop me, from doing what I want, and have a right to do.

I have had to put the suspenders back on my pants due to the added weight of gun and ammo.

Slippy
10-13-2023, 10:19 PM
You're gonna need more bullets.

More bullets and more mags!

Today my prepping was to be, doing the back shocks on one Jeep,

getting a new battery for one genset, then going to Harbor Freight and get a headlamp.

I got as far as replacing one shock.

Several things hindered the process, last but not least dropping the bolt and nut into the leaves.

Tomorrow I will finish the job, then run the other errands, into the valley of the shadow of death.

The Harbor Freight is in a high risk zone, there may well be asshole "students" demonstrating around there.

I WILL BE well armed going there.

None of these bastards are going to stop me, from doing what I want, and have a right to do.

I have had to put the suspenders back on my pants due to the added weight of gun and ammo.

Some might say I have more "bullets" than I can shoot in a lifetime.

Some might say...

Prepared One
10-14-2023, 09:20 AM

Some might say...

I used to think we have more ammo then we would live to use in a real firefight, but then, what if we do? More ammo!

1skrewsloose
10-16-2023, 07:46 PM
Finally got the truck down to 1/8th tank, dumped 30 gal from cans to truck, fresh gas in the cans. Gas is $3.19 here, lowest its been since January.

Added sta-bil to the new gas.

SOCOM42
10-16-2023, 07:57 PM

Some might say...

Unless you have ever been in a real firefight, and I don't mean a one on one type, good guy bad guy,

you will have no idea how much ammo you can go through in the course of one.

Every platoon has ammo bearers, and that is generally not enough even for a brief contact.

This is why I have plenty of ammo today, too old to use a bayonet.

Chiefster23
10-17-2023, 03:58 PM
After 2 days of fooling around, buying parts I didn’t need, and making stupid mistakes, I finally got my diesel generator correctly wired to back feed power into my house breaker panel if necessary. Even tested it out! I’m happy.

I bought enough filters and fluids to keep my car, tractor, and lawn equipment serviced thru next season. Also topped up propane today. Tomorrow a trip to the grocery stores to fill holes in my preps.

StratBastard
10-17-2023, 06:27 PM
After 2 days of fooling around, buying parts I didn’t need, and making stupid mistakes, I finally got my diesel generator correctly wired to back feed power into my house breaker panel if necessary. Even tested it out! I’m happy.

I bought enough filters and fluids to keep my car, tractor, and lawn equipment serviced thru next season. Also topped up propane today. Tomorrow a trip to the grocery stores to fill holes in my preps.

All's well that ends well, good job! I see we like the same methodology: I too seem to adore buying parts I don't need, maybe the wrong tool too, and making stupid mistakes. It always resolves itself after I toss furniture around for awhile, cussing like a sailor, and then eventually call someone who knows what they're doing LOL. You got there with one less step, so you're way ahead of me.

MoreAmmoOK
10-17-2023, 09:04 PM
No such thing as buying the wrong tool. All tools are good, you may not need it today but you might need it in the future.

Chiefster23
10-18-2023, 04:18 AM
FYI. If you have any old mil surplus equipment, there is a website called “steel soldiers” that posts manuals and such for old military stuff. Their forums have discussions on all this old hardware and the guys are really smart. Tons of answers there. It only took me about 10 minutes of reading to find the cure to my generator hook-up problems.

Piratesailor
10-18-2023, 06:45 PM
Reloading and taking stock of my supplies.

I seriously doubt anything will happen where I live but I’m not taking any chances.

Chiefster23
10-18-2023, 07:42 PM
I too doubt if we will have any local problems that would require firearms, but I guess ya never know. But I do see a high likelihood that Iran will get involved in the Middle East war. And that could easily escalate dramatically. The Biden bunch will bungle it just like they have screwed everything else up. I see crazy price increases coming. Shortages, supply chain issues, and the like will make things much harder here at home. If Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea all get on the same page, I’m thinking we would be in deep shit. Biden has crippled our energy supplies. We don’t have factories that produce anymore. And we don’t have skilled labor to work in factories even if we did have them. Our munition supplies are low and we have insufficient factory capacity to ramp up production. Our military is poorly equipped, poorly led, undermanned, and throughly ‘woke’. I’m thinking things are looking mighty grim going forward. And god help us if Iran has managed to produce a nuke.

MountainGirl
10-20-2023, 06:59 AM
Finally tried something I've wanted to do for 2 yrs. Some of the frozen burger brought up from Katy was from 1999; so I thawed out one of the 5# tubes, and dehydrated it. Turned out great! Gonna do the rest of them as time and PO allows. :biglaugh:

Inor
10-25-2023, 10:58 PM
We picked up this year's steer from "cow camp" today! So now we have another 946 pounds of fresh DIY beef (plus about 50 pounds left over from the last one). I always hate the last couple months before "cow camp" because one freezer is almost empty making room for the new beef. I am always paranoid: "What if SHTF before we get the new one back?!?"

Unbeknown to me, Mrs Inor ordered a turkey cone for processing the turkeys next month. It came today as well. The damn thing is about the size of a Volkswagen! But it should make bleeding the turkeys much easier and cleaner than what I had planned (putting a rope around their feet and hanging them over a ladder). I think we will still have to pluck them by hand, but that is not the end of the world. I think we are only going to do 4 of them initially or maybe just 3 depending on how much room we can make in a freezer between now and then.

hawgrider
10-26-2023, 07:06 AM
We picked up this year's steer from "cow camp" today! So now we have another 946 pounds of fresh DIY beef (plus about 50 pounds left over from the last one). I always hate the last couple months before "cow camp" because one freezer is almost empty making room for the new beef. I am always paranoid: "What if SHTF before we get the new one back?!?"

Unbeknown to me, Mrs Inor ordered a turkey cone for processing the turkeys next month. It came today as well. The damn thing is about the size of a Volkswagen! But it should make bleeding the turkeys much easier and cleaner than what I had planned (putting a rope around their feet and hanging them over a ladder). I think we will still have to pluck them by hand, but that is not the end of the world. I think we are only going to do 4 of them initially or maybe just 3 depending on how much room we can make in a freezer between now and then.

I started hangin my chickens from a ladder.... messy. Took a orange road cone made it into a culling cone sooooooo much better.

Box of frogs
11-13-2023, 02:29 PM
Vacuum sealed;
60# white rice
15# pinto beans
50# white corn meal
25# grits

Box of frogs
11-13-2023, 03:38 PM
General question.
Who here cans meats, chili, spaghetti, using a pressure cooker.
That wouldn’t mind me send them a few private messages for advice.

I got a pressure cooker and haven’t ever done meats. I’m gonna YouTube some research but it’s always good to know someone who has done it a few times.
Thanks in advance BoF.

Box of frogs
11-13-2023, 03:41 PM
Vacuum sealed;
60# white rice
15# pinto beans
50# white corn meal
25# grits

BTW. A lot of the stuff I vacuum sealed was in gamma style buckets and 10 or 8 years old.
Still fresh and usable. Just wanted to break down from 25# containers to smaller single or multi use vacuum bags.

Inor
11-13-2023, 06:31 PM
General question.

I got a pressure cooker and haven’t ever done meats. I’m gonna YouTube some research but it’s always good to know someone who has done it a few times.
Thanks in advance BoF.

Mrs Inor cans meat with a pressure canner. I do not have the skills to answer your questions directly, but send them along and I will ask her...

Prepared One
11-14-2023, 08:46 AM
General question.

Thanks in advance BoF.

MG has done some canned meets, I'll let her know

MountainGirl
11-14-2023, 09:13 AM
General question.

Thanks in advance BoF.

Mrs Inor would be the go-to here most likely.

My one and only foray into pressure canning meat was raw-pack hamburger... and I didn't like the result. I'm not a 'canner'.
That said - I recently dehydrated 5lbs of ground beef and it is outstanding. The hard crumbles re-hydrated right up in soup/stews, didn't lose any flavor whatsoever...and they're good for just munching on for a protein snack. Ask me how I know. LOLOL
After the meat's fully dry, vac seal in pint jars...got 4pints from the 5lb chub. We'll be long gone before that meat is inedible.

Mad Trapper
11-14-2023, 10:11 AM
General question.

Thanks in advance BoF.

BOF, here you go bookmark the sites

Canning meats, from link below this one.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can5_meat.html#gsc.tab=0

General link to food preservation.

How do I?

Can
Freeze
Dry
Cure & Smoke
Ferment
Pickle
Make Jam & Jelly
Store

https://nchfp.uga.edu/#gsc.tab=0

Chiefster23
11-14-2023, 10:13 AM
General question.

Thanks in advance BoF.

I have pressure canned chicken breast a few times. It’s easy. It lumps together in the jar, and surprisingly it is a little dry. I usually dump it into store bought Alfredo sauce and eat it over spaghetti. I always keep some on the shelf for a quick meal.

I have also pressure canned ground beef with my home made spaghetti sauce. Also easy to do.

Chiefster23
11-14-2023, 10:16 AM
I have pressure canned chicken breast a few times. It’s easy. It lumps together in the jar, and surprisingly it is a little dry. I usually dump it into store bought Alfredo sauce and eat it over spaghetti. I always keep some on the shelf for a quick meal.

I have also pressure canned ground beef with my home made spaghetti sauce. Also easy to do.

I’m planning on canning some pork loins here soon. Just waiting for a really cold day so the canning process will double duty as kitchen heat too.

Box of frogs
11-14-2023, 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone !
I’ll let y’all know how the first run turns out and will probably bump a few of you for questions

Thanks for the links trapper. I have them saved !

Chiefster23
11-14-2023, 07:11 PM
The “Ball book of canning” is your friend for folks new to canning. Follow those instructions to a tee! Do not deviate! And you will be safe. Especially pay attention to the sizes of meat chunks they call for. Larger pieces may not reach safe temperatures when canning.

Jester-ND
11-14-2023, 09:47 PM
we canned some pheasant and some beef stew, stopped once we went the freeze dry route, sooooo much simpler!

SOCOM42
11-15-2023, 07:09 AM
Put a new battery in the propane genset.

MoreAmmoOK
11-16-2023, 10:21 AM
Did a quick ammo inventory, kinda short of 45-70 and 350Legend. It's past time to clear off the reloading bench.

StratBastard
12-02-2023, 12:26 AM
Bought a case of bourbon. I'm gonna put up one of those trail cams in there, damned stuff keeps disappearing.

Prepared One
12-02-2023, 09:45 AM
Bought a case of bourbon. I'm gonna put up one of those trail cams in there, damned stuff keeps disappearing.

That's it! A camera. Why didn't I think of that? Now I'll catch that no good son-of-a- bitch who is drinking my beer and whiskey.

Mad Trapper
12-02-2023, 10:26 AM
That's it! A camera. Why didn't I think of that? Now I'll catch that no good son-of-a- bitch who is drinking my beer and whiskey.

You guys are going to wake up after a good toot, and find "selfies" on the game camera!

Mad Trapper
12-02-2023, 10:45 AM
I got the 52 Fergy running right (I think) with a new manifold and new SS hardware. What a PITA! Nuts were 1/8 turn at a time with a box end. Fuel system from tank to carb had already been R + R ed. It's finally quiet now and I can tell the engine sounds OK.

Putting on the tire chains today before we get lasting snow.......then fixing rim/tire on the trailer (flat/rim rotted). Rim is welded/painted now, and have new tube/tire. If it is still daylight will cut cordwood...

Box of frogs
12-02-2023, 11:43 AM
^^^^ Those freaking bolts in tight places are a bitch ^^^^

Impressive work MT

Slippy
12-02-2023, 02:51 PM
I got the 52 Fergy running right (I think) with a new manifold and new SS hardware. What a PITA! Nuts were 1/8 turn at a time with a box end. Fuel system from tank to carb had already been R + R ed. It's finally quiet now and I can tell the engine sounds OK.

Putting on the tire chains today before we get lasting snow.......then fixing rim/tire on the trailer (flat/rim rotted). Rim is welded/painted now, and have new tube/tire. If it is still daylight will cut cordwood...

Skill+Knowledge+Patience+X-Factor! My man MadT has all those! Excellent job Sir!

Sadly, we are losing those traits in too many youngsters.

Chiefster23
12-02-2023, 04:49 PM
Mad trapper. Where did you find parts for something that old?

Mad Trapper
12-02-2023, 07:21 PM
Update on the Fergy. I took the cover off and noticed something wet/dripping above the manifold. WTF? It was raining last night but was well covered. So I took a closer look, not water but gasoline........not from gas line/carb/sediment bowl......

You have to remove the gas tank to replace the manifold and I thought maybe one of the 72 year old seams (1951 tractor) on the tank might have opened up as the 4 bolts holding it on, are on seam on the ends of the tank. Couldn't tell where leak was coming from for sure without taking the tank off again.

With the tank off I did notice one of the prior owners seems to had beat the inside of the bottom of the tank for some reason, through the large filler cap. The bottom of the tank was dented, in two of the damaged spots, were tiny cracks. Removing the tank last time seems to have made these cracks/leaking worse. The tanks metal is in good shape in and out, without anything but superficial rust.

Don't look like too hard of a fix. Braze the cracks and put some bass over nearby area............ but my torches and fluxed brass rod are at my other place. At least tanks's out and drained, so the fumes/residual gasoline will evaporate.

Next questions are: 1) just fix the tank, or clean it up and paint it?, 2) Buy a valve cover gasket, and adjust valves while tank is off?...........

hawgrider
12-02-2023, 07:30 PM
Update on the Fergy. I took the cover off and noticed something wet/dripping above the manifold. WTF? It was raining last night but was well covered. So I took a closer look, not water but gasoline........not from gas line/carb/sediment bowl......

You have to remove the gas tank to replace the manifold and I thought maybe one of the 72 year old seams (1951 tractor) on the tank might have opened up as the 4 bolts holding it on, are on seam on the ends of the tank. Couldn't tell where leak was coming from for sure without taking the tank off again.

With the tank off I did notice one of the prior owners seems to had beat the inside of the bottom of the tank for some reason, through the large filler cap. The bottom of the tank was dented, in two of the damaged spots, were tiny cracks. Removing the tank last time seems to have made these cracks/leaking worse. The tanks metal is in good shape in and out, without anything but superficial rust.

Don't look like too hard of a fix. Braze the cracks and put some bass over nearby area............ but my torches and fluxed brass rod are at my other place. At least tanks's out and drained, so the fumes/residual gasoline will evaporate.

Next questions are: 1) just fix the tank, or clean it up and paint it?, 2) Buy a valve cover gasket, and adjust valves while tank is off?...........

I brazed a hair line crack on my Triumph Tiger TR6 gas tank many moons ago and rinsed that tank several times thought I had all the vapors out and hit it with the torch.... POOF

After I went in the house to change my underware I proceeded to braze the crack successfully.

bigwheel
12-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Back in welding 101 they would tell a person to fill it up with water before striking an arc

Mad Trapper
12-02-2023, 09:33 PM
Mad trapper. Where did you find parts for something that old?

A good answer would be I could start a whole new thread on that. I've been running/using/fixing a 1940 Ford 9N for ~40 years now

You can still find some decent USA made stuff: Standard/Blue Streak ignition parts, Fel-Pro gaskets, some NOS parts show up on Ebay/auction sites.

There is a lot of aftermarket parts but quality has been decreasing. Now most of the good USA produced aftermarket parts has had production moved overseas. But you can still find some acceptable parts if you look hard enough. There are some online sites that specialize in tractor restoration parts. The Chi-Coms have flooded the parts markets with their cheap crap made of quality "Chinesium".

Some stuff just avoid if you can rebuild the originals. They sell reproduction carburetors but most will never run/last as good as a rebuilt original, same for starters and generators. But you still need to source good parts needed for a rebuild

I rebuilt the carb on this Ferguson. Prior to me getting the tractor it had sat a few years, with E10 gas in it. The fuel had absorbed water and clogged up the fuel sediment bowl/brass filters, and the water pooled at the bottom of the cast iron carburetor. Luckily the inside of the gas tank was still OK.

The fuel bowl in the carb had so much rust in it, when I finally fixed it so clean gas could get to the carb, no fuel would drain with the bowl drain plug removed. I thought the float or the inlet needle were stuck. I took off the carb, then apart and found thick rust in the bottom, luckily there was little rust in the carb passages. The only thing that took out the rust in the bowl was muriatic acid.

Gaskets and various levels of aftermarket rebuild carb kits are available. I got a kit from a parts outlet with a good reputation but had to buy one with lots of parts I didn't need. Why? Because the smaller kits didn't come with a certain choke spring which had rusted/broken. I reused all the old parts that cleaned up and were not worn, have the rest of the kit for spares

These are insides of the cleaned upper and lower halves. The rust is just flash rust from the bare cast iron just being washed clean

The aftermarket in/ex manifold I just used as a replacement seemed to be a quality part. Looked like a good casting, came as lightly oiled bare cast iron and included a surprise set of carb/manifold and manifold/head gaskets. I degreased it and test fit the manifold on the head studs, seemed good to go so I put several coats of hi-temp paint on it.

It was not until installation I noticed the casting made it even harder/PITA to get the box end wrench on the manifold nuts. In retrospect I should have checked that fitment also,before I painted it, and took a grinder to the problem areas before painting.

So sometimes these aftermarket parts just bolt on, or fit sort of with work, or need to be sent back.