PDA

View Full Version : What was your prep of the day?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Mad Trapper
12-02-2023, 10:03 PM
I brazed a hair line crack on my Triumph Tiger TR6 gas tank many moons ago and rinsed that tank several times thought I had all the vapors out and hit it with the torch.... POOF

After I went in the house to change my underware I proceeded to braze the crack successfully.

I'm going to run some compressor air through/inside it then a stream of argon when I'm working on it. Not looking for a kaboom!

hawgrider
12-03-2023, 07:20 AM
Back in welding 101 they would tell a person to fill it up with water before striking an arc

Cept you don't strike an arc when brazing.

T-Man 1066
12-03-2023, 07:38 AM
I always understood that a layer of varnish builds up inside the tank, and heat will basically release vapors from the varnish. That is why an empty tank may go boom when welding or brazing.

Have you looked into something like this?

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/auto-fuel-tank-sealer-kit.html

I had a tank on a 460 Farmall that was so rusted inside it kept clogging the sediment bowl valve and I took it to a radiator shop. This guy blasted the tank inside and out, re-sealed it, and painted it. No more issues after that...

BucketBack
12-03-2023, 07:49 AM
They have a kit like that at Michigan Marine Supply IIRC. We used it on old woodies where replacement fuel tanks were unavailable. Just remove & clean the tank, pour the crap in, and swish it around and let dry

Mad Trapper
12-03-2023, 08:35 AM
I always understood that a layer of varnish builds up inside the tank, and heat will basically release vapors from the varnish. That is why an empty tank may go boom.

Have you looked into something like this?

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/auto-fuel-tank-sealer-kit.html

I had a tank on a 460 Farmall that was so rusted inside it kept clogging the sediment bowl valve and I took it to a radiator shop. This guy blasted the tank inside and out, re-sealed it, and painted it. No more issues after that...

Thanks T-Man, I'll heed your advice.

The tank is clean inside with no signs of varnish nor rust. I will look into the warning about varnish. Will take a clean rag soaked in acetone and see if wiping the inside removes any residue. I think flushing then running argon through the tank while doing the braze will prevent any oxygen or residual fuel from being able to ignite.

When I got the tractor it had sat with stale fuel in it. The fuel shutoff/sediment bowl on the tank was plugged shut, the fittings on the steel fuel line froze up like a rusty brake line, and the carb full of rust at the bottom.

I unscrewed the sediment bowl and caught the "fuel" that came out of the tank with a funnel and can, it had a water phase. I poured through a little fresh gas and then some denatured alcohol to flush out any water. I replaced the sediment bowl assy (new brass screens and gasket cost almost as much as new assy!), fabricated new fuel line with Ni/Copper brake line and rebuilt the carb.

Those old gravity feed fuel systems were well designed and if maintained seldom gave problems. The sediment assy has two fine brass screens, one inside the tank (missing when I got the Ferguson) and one above the sediment bowl, then bowl itself which catches both water and debris. There is a 3rd brass screen inside the carb inlet elbow. The only one that is a PITA to clean is the one inside the tank, which has to be drained, and the bowl assy unscrewed. The sediment bowl and the screen above it comes right off for cleaning and the glass bowl allows inspection daily for junk and/or separated water. The carb elbow/screen removal only consists of disconnecting the fuel line flare fitting and unscrewing it. Usually not needed unless flow slows down. Finally the drain on the carb bowl which allows any stale or contaminated fuel to be drained from the carb. I have found it best practice if the tractor is going to sit more than a few days to shut off the fuel at the tank then run the tractor dry, or drain the system at carb bowl for long term storage.

Many years ago I worked summers at a motorcycle dealership and bikes would come in with rusty tanks. All bikes had carbs back then, some 4 or more. Cleaning out then synching multiple carbs is expensive. The bikes always got a fine inline filter when we finished.

For the tanks We would pour in some discarded nuts and washers, a little gasoline then slosh everything around to loosen up any debris. After drying the tank, we would plug the outlet and treat the tank with a liquid product that coated then made a seal inside. The tank would get sloshed around to coat the inside then turned upside down to drain the excess and allow the coating to dry. This was not too hard to do with a 2-5 gal bike tank.

The product in the link above is much the same except they have added a cleaner and metal etcher to the pre-treatment process.

bigwheel
12-03-2023, 11:32 AM
Thats true. I thought he was trying to weld it and reverted to braising when that no worky.

T-Man 1066
12-03-2023, 08:59 PM
Thanks T-Man, I'll heed your advice.

The tank is clean inside with no signs of varnish nor rust. I will look into the warning about varnish. Will take a clean rag soaked in acetone and see if wiping the inside removes any residue. I think flushing then running argon through the tank while doing the braze will prevent any oxygen or residual fuel from being able to ignite.

When I got the tractor it had sat with stale fuel in it. The fuel shutoff/sediment bowl on the tank was plugged shut, the fittings on the steel fuel line froze up like a rusty brake line, and the carb full of rust at the bottom.

I unscrewed the sediment bowl and caught the "fuel" that came out of the tank with a funnel and can, it had a water phase. I poured through a little fresh gas and then some denatured alcohol to flush out any water. I replaced the sediment bowl assy (new brass screens and gasket cost almost as much as new assy!), fabricated new fuel line with Ni/Copper brake line and rebuilt the carb.

Those old gravity feed fuel systems were well designed and if maintained seldom gave problems. The sediment assy has two fine brass screens, one inside the tank (missing when I got the Ferguson) and one above the sediment bowl, then bowl itself which catches both water and debris. There is a 3rd brass screen inside the carb inlet elbow. The only one that is a PITA to clean is the one inside the tank, which has to be drained, and the bowl assy unscrewed. The sediment bowl and the screen above it comes right off for cleaning and the glass bowl allows inspection daily for junk and/or separated water. The carb elbow/screen removal only consists of disconnecting the fuel line flare fitting and unscrewing it. Usually not needed unless flow slows down. Finally the drain on the carb bowl which allows any stale or contaminated fuel to be drained from the carb. I have found it best practice if the tractor is going to sit more than a few days to shut off the fuel at the tank then run the tractor dry, or drain the system at carb bowl for long term storage.

Many years ago I worked summers at a motorcycle dealership and bikes would come in with rusty tanks. All bikes had carbs back then, some 4 or more. Cleaning out then synching multiple carbs is expensive. The bikes always got a fine inline filter when we finished.

For the tanks We would pour in some discarded nuts and washers, a little gasoline then slosh everything around to loosen up any debris. After drying the tank, we would plug the outlet and treat the tank with a liquid product that coated then made a seal inside. The tank would get sloshed around to coat the inside then turned upside down to drain the excess and allow the coating to dry. This was not too hard to do with a 2-5 gal bike tank.

The product in the link above is much the same except they have added a cleaner and metal etcher to the pre-treatment process.

Neighbor of mine claimed that he took a old rusty gas tank, dumped about half of a 5 gallon bucket of take-off bolts and nuts into it, and put the whole tank into a cement mixer. ran it for a few hours to knock debris out of the tank...

StratBastard
12-20-2023, 08:08 PM
We had a blackout awhile back, which tipped me off to the fact that I didn't have nearly enough emergency lighting.

These were dirt cheap on Amazon: $21.88 delivered free. So I ordered one to see if they were worth a damn.

These are actually super nice for the money. Bigger than I thought it would be. Brighter too (it's LED light, so not warm light). Can be charged 4 ways: two AA batteries, USB charge, crank charge, and a solar panel on the top.

Now I have ten of them, problem solved.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G558H22?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Chiefster23
12-21-2023, 08:59 AM
Maybe 10 years ago I bought a Berkey Light water filter. That’s the plastic model. Well it finally cracked in the base. Since the feds have started to crucify Berkey, finding Berkey systems and black filters is damned near impossible. I located a factory blemished big berkey at Pleasant Hill Grain and I scarfed that baby up in one heartbeat. I consider myself lucky to have found one! I have a decent supply of black filters and some of the white ceramic candle filters too. If you think you might need a new berkey or filters, ya better jump on it soon cause supply is damned near dried up. Don’t forget the spare parts. I keep and extra spigot in stock.

BucketBack
12-21-2023, 10:26 AM
I'm making a couple flat pieces of plastic to seal the 5 gal water jugs

BucketBack
12-22-2023, 03:43 PM
I failed, went on Fakebook and bought a camper $1500 delivered and his daughter took some twigs home that the wind blew down

https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/408810033_7204656382919648_7829798004445936606_n.j pg?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=247b10&_nc_ohc=0lP0ESTufAIAX8RlEWu&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfBkDbFyVTAIecYPSaJLP3USUnI2cuInX0K-ercvc0XhmA&oe=658B1F9Bhttps://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/401280431_6961542373960020_5805240414641024423_n.j pg?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=247b10&_nc_ohc=_RukPK1iZVMAX-ROOQs&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfC1o1vsahZ2Kyx1GUHOoz3hthgP9RGE5c5Vh3s0C_34 dA&oe=658B8334

BucketBack
12-22-2023, 03:45 PM
https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/408553223_6923352611106233_182736147178412962_n.jp g?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=247b10&_nc_ohc=VHE3D08K3NgAX8D7IN5&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfASRsHI71xMTUU9bg2-qFy-JHtbuGJP8nzEVqGT0zgWXA&oe=658B4242

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/409808470_6984103778336672_3218241890156188754_n.j pg?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=247b10&_nc_ohc=RhOeS6IEozQAX8X93PP&_nc_oc=AQnffcJxfNoVoavXqe0GDRmqb6EvQ2d3bUPvd_BK_ig t8hF6be4zlNGDupkh4qeaNWtC2__oAHwFf4-iHt9NShB_&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfCvNjI1pVPB9s1j1xXEFtF0RBNbPoel3G9jRk7DPFR_ TQ&oe=6589FE70

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/411114724_7025845864174642_156890168433724220_n.jp g?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=247b10&_nc_ohc=2xjjijSScoMAX_7OEvx&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfBclHSl_3Lsk_Ls16O5lf9Vs6QG3CULCKrsaLtaPlPI 9A&oe=658A95C6

BucketBack
12-22-2023, 03:48 PM
https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/408811960_7094910130552800_8006463403574231329_n.j pg?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=247b10&_nc_ohc=_FjWiSnHLE8AX8Lo282&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfA4erLDC1mmbGmYQD1xGRFG8Fh0LyGvwksUekI8hODD mA&oe=658AAFD9

25 ' no furnace or shower, owners lived in it for a couple years with 3 kids

It will be used during renovations, when visitors come up and I show them where the fish are and where a bed and breakfast is....oar when I show the garandson how to motorboat

In a van, down by da river

when I was talking $$$ out of the bank, the Mrs wanted to take cuttings off the plants. They said take all you want. we don't want them that big.

She didn't want to camp, but this is good? It's all electric, better have 110

Mad Trapper
12-22-2023, 05:05 PM
https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/408811960_7094910130552800_8006463403574231329_n.j pg?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=247b10&_nc_ohc=_FjWiSnHLE8AX8Lo282&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfA4erLDC1mmbGmYQD1xGRFG8Fh0LyGvwksUekI8hODD mA&oe=658AAFD9

25 ' no furnace or shower, owners lived in it for a couple years with 3 kids

It will be used during renovations, when visitors come up and I show them where the fish are and where a bed and breakfast is....oar when I show the garandson how to motorboat

In a van, down by da river

when I was talking $$$ out of the bank, the Mrs wanted to take cuttings off the plants. They said take all you want. we don't want them that big.

She didn't want to camp, but this is good? It's all electric, better have 110

Get a small woodstove and generator and use it for mobile deercamp

BucketBack
12-22-2023, 05:34 PM
In reality it will be a doghouse while we travel if they aren't accepted, and an office for fakebook marketplace and I get my man cave back

TJC44
12-22-2023, 05:40 PM
For $1500? What song did you sing?
That's a steal!
Check the tires, if it sits for a while they will dry rot. No propane?
Tell the Mrs. you're going Glamping, let her look it up.
Nice find.

Piratesailor
12-22-2023, 05:53 PM
That's a steal!
Nice find.

No kidding. Nice find!

Piratesailor
12-22-2023, 05:55 PM
Little thing for me..

Bought a Mr. Heater “big buddy” propane heater. Definitely a backup but I also don’t want to repeats of the texas big freeze.

BucketBack
12-22-2023, 06:53 PM
The 8 yo daughter found arrow that the Entitled lost

The Mrs and Me may just help them as our 10 % tithe

hawgrider
12-22-2023, 07:09 PM
Little thing for me..

Bought a Mr. Heater “big buddy” propane heater. Definitely a backup but I also don’t want to repeats of the texas big freeze.

Buddy heaters are the cats meow. I have the original and the hunting buddy.

Prepared One
12-22-2023, 07:29 PM
Buddy heaters are the cats meow. I have the original and the hunting buddy.

Love the Buddy heaters!

Inor
12-22-2023, 07:37 PM
Little thing for me..

I have that exact heater that I use in my wood shop in the winter. It works great and I absolutely love it. It's a little rough on the propane usage, but who cares?!? (I turned into a complete pussy on the cold after being out of MN for about 3 years.)

hawgrider
12-22-2023, 07:55 PM
That's a steal!
Nice find.

Yeah he did good! Good shape for 1500.00
Camper prices have been thru the roof since China flu.

hawgrider
12-22-2023, 08:18 PM
I have that exact heater that I use in my wood shop in the winter. It works great and I absolutely love it. It's a little rough on the propane usage, but who cares?!? (I turned into a complete pussy on the cold after being out of MN for about 3 years.)

Yeah the Big buddy is a 2 block and does use the most propane but cranks out the BTU's
The original is the smallest and runs a long time on a 20lb tank. My newer hunting buddy burns more propane than the original but I can hunt in a t shirt in my Maverick deer blind.

1skrewsloose
12-22-2023, 08:34 PM
Maybe 10 years ago I bought a Berkey Light water filter. That’s the plastic model. Well it finally cracked in the base. Since the feds have started to crucify Berkey, finding Berkey systems and black filters is damned near impossible. I located a factory blemished big berkey at Pleasant Hill Grain and I scarfed that baby up in one heartbeat. I consider myself lucky to have found one! I have a decent supply of black filters and some of the white ceramic candle filters too. If you think you might need a new berkey or filters, ya better jump on it soon cause supply is damned near dried up. Don’t forget the spare parts. I keep and extra spigot in stock.

I hear ya on this, I just bought 2 and buying 2 more tonite. I went down the rabbit hole.

Berkeywater.com- N/A

berkeywaterfilters.com-$166.00

usaberkeyfilters.com-N/A

bigberkeywaterfilters.com-$194.00

berkeyhome.com-N/A

theberkey.com-N/A

berkeyfilterwater.com-N/A

myberkey.com-$166.00

P.S. I found out the spigots can be had at Menards, etc. pretty much standard spigot construction crews use. 5/8 hole I think.

When price is listed, item is in stock, N/A=not available

StratBastard
12-22-2023, 08:49 PM

Around here people have been snapping up anything cheap to live in... campers at a premium.

Because my single-wide trailer is out in the country a bit and not "in the city" priced, I bought it for $30K... price of a used truck really. I've only been here a bit over 2 years. Guy has one pretty much like mine for sale now for $69K!!! If someone buys it at that price, it will confirm what I've been thinking: people are retreating to a safer position, and one they can afford. Gonna drive trailers up through the roof too.

StratBastard
12-22-2023, 08:53 PM
(I turned into a complete pussy on the cold after being out of MN for about 3 years.)

Tell me about it, must be part of getting old. I used to walk around freezing weather in a T-shirt. Now I'm out walking in 36 degree weather, neck gator, heavy shirt jack, gloves, knit hat, and flannel lined pants... and I'm still all BRRRR. You'd think this decent layer of fat would keep me warm.

StratBastard
12-23-2023, 02:11 AM

BucketBack
12-23-2023, 05:16 AM
The guy who gifted us the Carver amp and CV speakers, has a thingy that fills 20 # tanks off the PIG. and 1#'er's

This will be a place for guests, or for us camping. Now I have a place to store Mom's tableware as She uses her own.

Mom had a AO M1 Carbine :redsniper:

Prepared One
12-23-2023, 08:46 AM
Tell me about it, must be part of getting old. I used to walk around freezing weather in a T-shirt. Now I'm out walking in 36 degree weather, neck gator, heavy shirt jack, gloves, knit hat, and flannel lined pants... and I'm still all BRRRR. You'd think this decent layer of fat would keep me warm.

Growing up in Chicago I was accustomed to the cold, I could hang in the alley or the street corner till all hours of the night drinking cold beer with my fellow trouble makers. Nowadays, after 40 years in in Texas, I get chills in a light breeze when it's 60 degrees. Last time I was in Chicago on business a few years ago I stepped off the plane and there was 2 ft. of snow, 10 degrees, and a wicked wind coming off the lake. It just cut me to the bone. Yeah, that's why I left Chicago.

BucketBack
12-23-2023, 09:17 AM
@ 40 degrees, I'm just wearing a sweatshirt, sweatpants, working though

SOCOM42
12-23-2023, 05:47 PM
Merry christmas to you all and your families!

My life here is just one pile of shit after another.

One of the 90 foot trees that i wanted to cut, came down in the storm monday, went across the road and over the power lines.

Nat grid came and cleared the tree from road and wires, town finished that job but left the tree in yard.

The uprooted root ball on its side is taller than i am!

The tractor needed a new battery, i got it after two weeks, forgot to turn off ignition after trying to start with old one, i think i

burned out the spark coil. Will check it soon, about april!

Oil burner was out for a week, starting the second week of december.

First it was a limit switch, then the pump and finally the burner head.

The head had corroded away so only the outer ring was left.

Each fail took three days to get parts in each time.

The backup propane kept us going with heat.

While putting the oil gun in i pulled shoulder and or neck muscles, could not use keyboard from it until now.

The new water lines are working fine in this cold, 15 degrees outside this morning and around the same the last few days,

no freezing of the pipes, did not turn on a water drip like last winter and other times.

Left off the inner wall blowers also, will till turn on when it goes to 10 or lower.

Right after new year going back to work on rifles, all other needed shit is done, all else can wait til spring.

When that last storm was coming, went out and fired up the propane genset, shut it down and then attempted to

restart it to put a load on it, no go, no nothing,solenoid would not engage.

Spent the day trying to find out what was wrong, had no schematic for the wiring.

Finally, i found it, the wire from the battery to the solenoid slipped out of its connector (poor workmanship) breakaway was hidden

by the plastic insulation over it, replaced it and added 4 inches to the replacement one.

Runs fine now with the new battery that had been installed two weeks prior.

hawgrider
12-23-2023, 06:40 PM
Merry christmas to you all and your families!

My life here is just one pile of shit after another.

One of the 90 foot trees that i wanted to cut, came down in the storm monday, went across the road and over the power lines.

Nat grid came and cleared the tree from road and wires, town finished that job but left the tree in yard.

The uprooted root ball on its side is taller than i am!

The tractor needed a new battery, i got it after two weeks, forgot to turn off ignition after trying to start with old one, i think i

burned out the spark coil. Will check it soon, about april!

Oil burner was out for a week, starting the second week of december.

First it was a limit switch, then the pump and finally the burner head.

The head had corroded away so only the outer ring was left.

Each fail took three days to get parts in each time.

The backup propane kept us going with heat.

While putting the oil gun in i pulled shoulder and or neck muscles, could not use keyboard from it until now.

The new water lines are working fine in this cold, 15 degrees outside this morning and around the same the last few days,

no freezing of the pipes, did not turn on a water drip like last winter and other times.

Left off the inner wall blowers also, will till turn on when it goes to 10 or lower.

Right after new year going back to work on rifles, all other needed shit is done, all else can wait til spring.

When that last storm was coming, went out and fired up the propane genset, shut it down and then attempted to

restart it to put a load on it, no go, no nothing,solenoid would not engage.

Spent the day trying to find out what was wrong, had no schematic for the wiring.

Finally, i found it, the wire from the battery to the solenoid slipped out of its connector (poor workmanship) breakaway was hidden

by the plastic insulation over it, replaced it and added 4 inches to the replacement one. Runs fine now with the new battery that had

been installed two weeks prior.

Yikes when it rains it pours!

Jester-ND
12-23-2023, 10:42 PM
some may think I am kidding.... I don't put on a coat unless it is -20... (depending on the wind)

SOCOM42
12-24-2023, 06:34 AM
some may think I am kidding.... I don't put on a coat unless it is -20... (depending on the wind)

I use to be like that 60 years ago, today a coat is on at 60 degrees.

Cold never use to bother me at all.

I guess your tolerance goes down as the age goes up.

Thermostat in here is set at 60 degrees, I wear a sweater all the time that I am up.

Mad Trapper
12-24-2023, 08:16 AM
I use to be like that 60 years ago, today a coat is on at 60 degrees.

Cold never use to bother me at all.

I guess your tolerance goes down as the age goes up.

Thermostat in here is set at 60 degrees, I wear a sweater all the time that I am up.

Speaking of thermostats. When I got a new furnace they installed a digital one, the POS kills batteries in ~6 months and stops working. I told the installers to leave the 60+ year old Honeywell one (OMG it has a mercury switch!) I'm contemplating putting back in. I'm into $15 of batteries in just a few years with that POS.

Like you I have the thermostat set low. If I'm cold the fire is out in the woodstove or it needs wood. 60 oF is fine with me. Wintertime I always have a set of cold weather thermals on. Sleeping bed has a pile of blankets with the toppers real wool point blankets. Pipes would get close to freezing before I'd get too cold.

I've noticed getting older, working in the cold outside fingers and toes are much more effected.

In my 20s and 30s I remember changing car/truck transmissions and control arms outside in the winter, underneath a blocked up car or truck working on my back. Ice fishing reaching into the holes to get fish, or not using the skimmer to clear the ice; always use the skimmer now.

Now my fingers get cold and I'm looking into new/better work gloves for outside stuff like firewood and put on the PAC boots more often for the toes.

SOCOM42
12-24-2023, 03:08 PM
Speaking of thermostats. When I got a new furnace they installed a digital one, the POS kills batteries in ~6 months and stops working. I told the installers to leave the 60+ year old Honeywell one (OMG it has a mercury switch!) I'm contemplating putting back in. I'm into $15 of batteries in just a few years with that POS.

Like you I have the thermostat set low. If I'm cold the fire is out in the woodstove or it needs wood. 60 oF is fine with me. Wintertime I always have a set of cold weather thermals on. Sleeping bed has a pile of blankets with the toppers real wool point blankets. Pipes would get close to freezing before I'd get too cold.

I've noticed getting older, working in the cold outside fingers and toes are much more effected.

In my 20s and 30s I remember changing car/truck transmissions and control arms outside in the winter, underneath a blocked up car or truck working on my back. Ice fishing reaching into the holes to get fish, or not using the skimmer to clear the ice; always use the skimmer now.

Now my fingers get cold and I'm looking into new/better work gloves for outside stuff like firewood and put on the PAC boots more often for the toes.

You could just change the name here and it would apply to me except for the ice fishing.

I remember putting a clutch disc and pilot bearing in my 1953 Mercury,

out on the street in the big city with 3 feet of snow on the ground.

I had to use cribbing to get the car high enough to work on it, no other way was available for me to use,

made from pallets from work.

Used a bottle jack to hold up the engine when pulling the tranny.

I HATE all freshwater fish, they literally make me gag.

I had put one of those digital thermostats both in the shop and in the home about 20 years ago,

Ten years ago I put the Honeywell mercury ones back in.

The others are pieces of shit, and like you said, suck up batteries.

I still do the automotive stuff right out in the driveway right throughout the winter when needed.

The furnace I just fixed, I installed myself 32 years ago, with no help.

Slippy
12-24-2023, 03:30 PM
It's a miserable 66' F here in Central Alabama with rain coming from the west. Hopefully, bringing a cold front.

Firewood is stacked in the carport, on the porch and outside the basement door. Firepit is also stocked with wood outside but I don't think we'll be sitting at the firepit. Too wet. Sometimes I really do hate the southeastern US...TOO DAMN WET!

T-Man 1066
12-24-2023, 04:49 PM
I have become a complete puss when it comes to staying warm. Still do what I need to outside, but layered up hell of alot more than I used to be. Figure I can always take it off, but can't put it back on if I don't have it.

Machine shop is ALWAYS t-shirt weather, bout 66 degrees all winter. I used to drop the heat at night, and bring it back up next morning. But the shop is only 1500 sq/ft, 12' ceiling, but I have over #80,000 of machinery in there. It acts like a heat sink. I can open the door, run 3-4 minutes outside unloading a truck with the forklift, come back in, close the door, and the furnace won't even kick on. Recovers great!

Mad Trapper
12-24-2023, 06:57 PM
I have become a complete puss when it comes to staying warm. Still do what I need to outside, but layered up hell of alot more than I used to be. Figure I can always take it off, but can't put it back on if I don't have it.

Machine shop is ALWAYS t-shirt weather, bout 66 degrees all winter. I used to drop the heat at night, and bring it back up next morning. But the shop is only 1500 sq/ft, 12' ceiling, but I have over #80,000 of machinery in there. It acts like a heat sink. I can open the door, run 3-4 minutes outside unloading a truck with the forklift, come back in, close the door, and the furnace won't even kick on. Recovers great!

Cold tools suck. I've bought those in by the woodstove if I have an outside project.

T-Man 1066
12-24-2023, 07:01 PM
Cold tools suck. I've bought those in by the woodstove if I have an outside project.

Them machine handles crank hard when they are cold, also suck the warmth out of your hands in a new york minute when the machine is cold. First home shop was in an un-insulated garage with a wood burner.

Could get the shop to 65+ in a couple hours, machinery took 6-10 hours to pick up the warmth.

Oh, and just for good measure, FJB!!!

T-Man 1066
12-24-2023, 07:15 PM

After re-reading you comment, have to disagree???

Cold tools = 26921

BucketBack
12-25-2023, 09:07 AM
Got one going as we surf

SOCOM42
12-25-2023, 12:07 PM
Them machine handles crank hard when they are cold, also suck the warmth out of your hands in a new york minute when the machine is cold. First home shop was in an un-insulated garage with a wood burner.

Could get the shop to 65+ in a couple hours, machinery took 6-10 hours to pick up the warmth.

Oh, and just for good measure, FJB!!!

Right now my shop is a 42 degrees, will stay that way for the winter.

Even at that temp it will use 700-1,000 gallons of fuel.

To bring it to the standard 68/50% and hold it would take a thousand gallons a month average.

When I now have to use a machine I have to suffer with frozen hands, no gloves ever!

Sixteen foot ceilings don't help either even with ceiling fans.

The grease on dovetail ways turns to glue or molasses, even the motors groan from the drag.

And yes, Fuck Joe Biden!

Mad Trapper
12-25-2023, 02:52 PM
After re-reading you comment, have to disagree???

Cold tools = 26921

That stuff freezes up ice fishing if it's not by the fire. A little of your pal Al ("...embodying an acceptable form of the valuable properties of the ginger root...") added to it, keeps it flowing.....

T-Man 1066
12-25-2023, 03:36 PM
That stuff freezes up ice fishing if it's not by the fire. A little of your pal Al ("...embodying an acceptable form of the valuable properties of the ginger root...") added to it, keeps it flowing.....

You assume it lasts long enough to freeze!! :redneck::needbeer:

Box of frogs
12-25-2023, 04:11 PM
It's a miserable 66' F here in Central Alabama with rain coming from the west. Hopefully, bringing a cold front.

Firewood is stacked in the carport, on the porch and outside the basement door. Firepit is also stocked with wood outside but I don't think we'll be sitting at the firepit. Too wet. Sometimes I really do hate the southeastern US...TOO DAMN WET!

I think
My weather is about 12 hours behind yours.
Raining and drizzle all day and 63f. Not too awful, I walked the dogs for a hour in the damp.
They were getting stir crazy. The lab was sitting on the sofa with her face next to mine.
“Why are we going outside” - I can read her mind some days.

Cold coming back Thursday, firewood in the house and kindling box is full.

For giggles today, I took the back off the wood stove and cleaned the damper, control arm, the catalytic converter cover, and fly ash screen.
It wasn’t too dirty but I’m will need to replace the rope gaskets in the spring.

BoF

StratBastard
12-27-2023, 10:16 PM
So, I'm in Winco yesterday shopping, and grab a few 1 gallon jugs of water. Just the usual prepper grab when you're grocery shopping. Got some nice canned green beans at .50 cents too, nice price.

Anyway, I found myself in there again today because I forgot something. Thought I would grab 3 more gallon jugs of water.

Every single one was gone. There was a HUGE inventory yesterday, I mean like 300-400 jugs stacked high, deep, and wiiiiide. Gone, out of stock.

Now I'm worried someone knows something I don't. Wouldn't be the first time of course. :boggled::boggled::boggled:

Chiefster23
12-28-2023, 04:56 AM
Grocery prices are nutz as you all know. Yesterday I saw Campbells soups on sale at 10 for $10. That’s pretty cheap. Unfortunately, I’m already all stocked up on these. I’ve pretty much stopped buying the regular Campbells and switched to their “chunky” varieties. Unfortunately, those were not on sale. I’m thinking that I should be stocking those chunky soups and lots of rice. The soup and rice combo makes for decent and filling prepper meals.

I’m also very partial to PRAIRIE FRESH marinated pork roasts. As soon as it gets colder here (and hopefully a sale) I’m going to can a bunch of these in pints. Quick, precooked meals ready on the shelf when paired with rice of potatoes.

hawgrider
12-28-2023, 07:59 AM
Grocery prices are nutz as you all know. Yesterday I saw Campbells soups on sale at 10 for $10. That’s pretty cheap. Unfortunately, I’m already all stocked up on these. I’ve pretty much stopped buying the regular Campbells and switched to their “chunky” varieties. Unfortunately, those were not on sale. I’m thinking that I should be stocking those chunky soups and lots of rice. The soup and rice combo makes for decent and filling prepper meals.

I’m also very partial to PRAIRIE FRESH marinated pork roasts. As soon as it gets colder here (and hopefully a sale) I’m going to can a bunch of these in pints. Quick, precooked meals ready on the shelf when paired with rice of potatoes.

I stopped buying Campbell's soup. The label now reads made with engineered products.

Another is Helmans Mayonnaise. We switched to Dukes Mayonnaise.

MountainGirl
12-28-2023, 08:14 AM
Spent the last couple weeks re-arranging life - simplifying methods, decluttering, packing away unneeded items...but mostly figuring out ways to not need to be "out there amongst the English" (lol). Everything I need to buy, or will ever need to buy, is within a 3-mile country road drive. Amazon & other online purchases done, accts closed; even USPS is no longer needed - this last round of Christmas cards was the finale.

The penny finally dropped. All along, my old-school self thought - if the internet goes down, how will we communicate/do business/etc ?!? Well, IF the internet ever goes down, there wouldn't be any 'old-school' snail mail anyway because the USPS functions online. Duh, Rene. Took you long enough. LOLOL

Simplification, baby.
Online for business, info, words.
Offline for the rest, and best, of life's joys. :)

Mad Trapper
12-28-2023, 08:17 AM
I stopped buying Campbell's soup. The label now reads made with engineered products.

Another is Helmans Mayonnaise. We switched to Dukes Mayonnaise.

Thanks for heads up on that.

Most everything is GMO now if it has corn or soy products. I'm doing my best to buy local. There is a few farmers markets that run all winter.

They have already rolled out mRNA injected pigs/pork, cows/beef are next, and they are working on poultry. If the motherfuckers can't jab you they will poison your food.

hawgrider
12-28-2023, 08:21 AM
Thanks for heads up on that.

Most everything is GMO now if it has corn or soy products. I'm doing my best to buy local. There is a few farmers markets that run all winter.

They have already rolled out mRNA injected pigs/pork, cows/beef are next, and they are working on poultry. If the motherfuckers can't jab you they will poison your food.

The proclamation is very very tiny below the ingredients list. Yeah fuck them sick of this man has to fuck everything up baloney. The Mayo really pisses me off the most... why in hell did the assholes at Helmans figure engineered bullshit would be a good idea stupid assholes!

Chiefster23
12-28-2023, 08:22 AM
What the hell are “engineered products”?

hawgrider
12-28-2023, 08:28 AM

Good question. Leaves the door wide open for mad scientist shit doesn't it.

Basically its a name change for GMO. Kinda like they did for global warming but now it's climate change fucking idiots think we are dumber than a box of rocks.

Mad Trapper
12-28-2023, 08:36 AM
So, I'm in Winco yesterday shopping, and grab a few 1 gallon jugs of water. Just the usual prepper grab when you're grocery shopping. Got some nice canned green beans at .50 cents too, nice price.

Anyway, I found myself in there again today because I forgot something. Thought I would grab 3 more gallon jugs of water.

Every single one was gone. There was a HUGE inventory yesterday, I mean like 300-400 jugs stacked high, deep, and wiiiiide. Gone, out of stock.

Now I'm worried someone knows something I don't. Wouldn't be the first time of course. :boggled::boggled::boggled:

I won't buy water. Some of the stuff they sell is just re-bottled municipal water. I remember seeing a jug that said bottled in Hackensak NJ!

Both places I have, there are pure mountain springs nearby, one a few hundred yards, the other a short drive. Both come right out of the side of the mountains with a huge state or national forests above them with no houses/buildings/power lines/etc above them and only a few dirt roads nearby.

I have a large collection of saved 1-gal AZ Tea jugs. Will put ~20 in the truck and do a water run. I have several 55-gal food grade barrels at the houses if I need to up the storage if SHTF.

Been using this one since a toddler, best tasting water I've drank.

MountainGirl
12-28-2023, 08:47 AM

Right, and sadly, the seeds the local farmer's use are already GMO - unless they're a pure 'heirloom' variety.

MountainGirl
12-28-2023, 08:48 AM

Maybe cricket flour?

hawgrider
12-28-2023, 08:58 AM
Right, and sadly, the seeds the local farmer's use are already GMO - unless they're a pure 'heirloom' variety.

Yup and the deer I eat have been feasting on GMO corn and soy beans.

Chiefster23
12-28-2023, 09:12 AM
Sadly, I think GMO seeds are the norm rather than the exception here in the USA. No getting around it now. I’m 72 and the wife is 75. We’re basically done so I’m not going to worry about GMO plants. More immediate and important things to concentrate on now. I can’t change or affect most of what’s going on today so I'm trying to just focus on what I DO have control over to improve our situation right here at home. It’s amazing when you no longer have to worry about long term goals cause you’re old enough that there is now more ‘long term’ in your future. LOL. :)

MountainGirl
12-28-2023, 09:18 AM

So now all ya gotta do is decide which is worse: Enjoying the Helmans - or being pissed off. :biglaugh:

I'm with Chiefster on this one: too old to not eat what I like, and still tastes good. If flavors change though...so will I.

hawgrider
12-28-2023, 09:26 AM
So now all ya gotta do is decide which is worse: Enjoying the Helmans - or being pissed off. :biglaugh:

I'm with Chiefster on this one: too old to not eat what I like, and still tastes good. If flavors change though...so will I.

Screw Helmans! Dukes is better anyway. I'll remain pissed off and not give the pricks my money when I catch them.

Mad Trapper
12-28-2023, 09:56 AM
Good question. Leaves the door wide open for mad scientist shit doesn't it.

Basically its a name change for GMO. Kinda like they did for global warming but now it's climate change fucking idiots think we are dumber than a box of rocks.

The mayo probably has Monsanto/Roundup grown corn oil in it. Nope I just checked the jar in my frig (last Hellman's I'm buying), it has fucking GMO soybean oil. As mentioned corn and soy products are mostly GMO and find their way into all sorts of foods. How much roundup goes along for the ride and onto your table?

The Hellman's label does proudly say say "gluten free" and plastic container is recyclable. No shit gluten free, ever made mayo with wheat! Concerning the GMO soy oil, the Hellman's label also says "carefully selected oils....." er Soy based poisons.

Remember growing up, there was not "lactose intolerance" "gluten free BS" "lacto/ovo free", and most kids could tolerate a peanut butter and jelly or ham and cheese sandwich, remember those?

Concerning the "recyclable" plastic jars......., although they say not to I've used the old glass ones for canning and they worked fine. I know they have removed BPA from food grade plastic but I'm sure other "good things" still leach out of it, particularly in fat/oil containing foods. Plastic has advantages, but for food storage I prefer glass if it's not going to break. Damm mice can't chew through it either.

On the subject of glass containers a good way to repurpose 1-gal glass wine jugs is to use them to store rice/dried beans. Easy to fill with a funnel, airtight and vermin/bugs can't chew in. I can get them at an old style Mom and Pop Italian restaurant that still includes a glass of wine with a meal.

I've substituted Bragg's Liquid Aminos for commercial soy sauce, it's made with organic/non-GMO soybeans.

Anybody make mayo? Looks like you need to find a non-GMO oil and get some local eggs. Not sure of best way to can it? Found a recipe :

Time: 5 minutes | Makes: 1 cup
Ingredients

2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (or vinegar)
1 cup of neutral-flavored oil (like light olive oil, grapeseed oil, walnut or sweet almond oil)
A pinch of good quality fine grain sea salt

Equipment

Sturdy wire whisk
Bowl (with high sides to prevent splashes)

Directions

Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Set aside the egg whites for another purpose (like making meringue) and place the egg yolks in the bowl.
Pour the fresh lemon juice into the bowl with the egg yolks and whisk them well.
Slowly, a few drops at a time, pour the oil into the bowl while whisking constantly. Once the mayonnaise has started to thicken, pour the oil in a slow and steady stream. If the oil starts to build up at all, stop pouring and whisk the mayonnaise briskly until the oil has incorporated.
If the mayonnaise starts looking too thick, add enough water to thin it to the consistency you like. Add about a teaspoon of water at a time.
Once all the oil has been mixed in, the mayonnaise should be thick and fluffy, with your whisk forming ribbons through the mixture. Season it carefully with fine grain sea salt. Add a small splash of water if you would like a thinner mayonnaise.

MountainGirl
12-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Anybody make mayo? Looks like you need to find a non-GMO oil and get some local eggs. Not sure of best way to can it? Found a recipe :

Dont think you can can it; but it keeps a good 1-2 weeks in the fridge; just stir it up when/if it separates a bit.
That's a good recipe, btw. I've made mayo in a blender; gonna try it with a whisk next time. Thanks!

T-Man 1066
12-28-2023, 11:16 AM

Roundup Ready deer! Haha!

Mad Trapper
12-28-2023, 11:30 AM
Dont think you can can it; but it keeps a good 1-2 weeks in the fridge; just stir it up when/if it separates a bit.
That's a good recipe, btw. I've made mayo in a blender; gonna try it with a whisk next time. Thanks!

There is a way to process it as store bought can sit on the shelf > 1 year. If acidity is high enough a water bath canner might work?

MountainGirl
12-28-2023, 12:08 PM
There is a way to process it as store bought can sit on the shelf > 1 year. If acidity is high enough a water bath canner might work?

Agree re store bought...but my guess is there are other additives in that to keep the ingredients from separating during the canning/heat process. It makes up so easy, and in small quantities, maybe stocking up on it's components - and making fresh when wanted - would work.
(Now I'm pondering dehydrating egg yolks...lol)

Mad Trapper
12-28-2023, 12:19 PM

Looked into this a bit. Not an easy way to make longterm storage mayo at home.

Mad Trapper
12-28-2023, 12:43 PM
Agree re store bought...but my guess is there are other additives in that to keep the ingredients from separating during the canning/heat process. It makes up so easy, and in small quantities, maybe stocking up on it's components - and making fresh when wanted - would work.
(Now I'm pondering dehydrating egg yolks...lol)

They have a complicated process with all equipment sterilized and ingredients Pasteurized before preparation. Then as you said some sort of additives/ingredients to stop separation.

I think I'll just have to have a carefully stored stock of store bought jars, and make up small amounts fresh.

For eggs, if you can get unwashed fresh eggs those can be limed or water glassed (sodium silicate) and stored at RT. There seems to be pros and cons for each. I don't raise chickens right now.

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-store-eggs-in-lime-water/

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-store-eggs-in-water-glass/

Chiefster23
12-28-2023, 01:22 PM
Two new Baofeng radios arrived today from Scamazon. I will wait for a bad weather day to sit down and figure out how to use them. They have about a gazillion buttons and operations. I think I’ll only need 1 or 2 channels just so the wife can contact me. My diesel generator is in my barn about 150 feet away from the house. If running it to back feed into the house she can relay any necessary instructions to me upon start up. Example; “SHUT THE DAMNED THING OFF! THE BREAKER PANEL IS ON FIRE!”
LOL

Slippy
12-28-2023, 01:57 PM
We only use Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil (MCT) and Olive Oil.

We use real butter 95% of the time plus a specific type of butter made from olive oil that Mrs S found every now and then.

Earlier this year we cut out all other oils.

Feel dang good cutting out all of the corn oil nonsense...

hawgrider
12-28-2023, 02:44 PM
Two new Baofeng radios arrived today from Scamazon. I will wait for a bad weather day to sit down and figure out how to use them. They have about a gazillion buttons and operations. I think I’ll only need 1 or 2 channels just so the wife can contact me. My diesel generator is in my barn about 150 feet away from the house. If running it to back feed into the house she can relay any necessary instructions to me upon start up. Example; “SHUT THE DAMNED THING OFF! THE BREAKER PANEL IS ON FIRE!”
LOL

Not too hard to program some channels. Down load an app called "Repeater book" on your smart phone this will give the frequencys of the local channels in your area.

There is a computer program called "Chirp" that will program your whole radio but I hated it so I never used it. You will need to buy a special cord to use "chirp"

For me repeater book and the tiny manual that came with the radio was plenty sufficient. Remember these are ham radios so improper use without a license will land you in hot water.

BucketBack
12-28-2023, 03:00 PM
I need a couple radios, the ones I had left with the spare tire for my trailer, and 2 full gas cans.

Buying a dozen rat traps, I have bait it seems

Chiefster23
12-28-2023, 06:16 PM
Not too hard to program some channels. Down load an app called "Repeater book" on your smart phone this will give the frequencys of the local channels in your area.

There is a computer program called "Chirp" that will program your whole radio but I hated it so I never used it. You will need to buy a special cord to use "chirp"

For me repeater book and the tiny manual that came with the radio was plenty sufficient. Remember these are ham radios so improper use without a license will land you in hot water.

Thanks and I understand. I used to have a ham license. N3GVZ. I left it lapse years ago. I will only be using this on one or 2 of the license free channels and most probably never use a repeater. Unless things get really ‘sporty’. In that case I’m pretty sure a license will be the least of anyone’s worries.

hawgrider
12-28-2023, 06:35 PM
Thanks and I understand. I used to have a ham license. N3GVZ. I left it lapse years ago. I will only be using this on one or 2 of the license free channels and most probably never use a repeater. Unless things get really ‘sporty’. In that case I’m pretty sure a license will be the least of anyone’s worries.

I have used the supposed 2 free channels and have not been hunted down by ham operators or the FCC. The repeater book app is pretty cool because you can get the storm spotter guys and local EMS along with some fire depts and so on.

Inor
12-28-2023, 07:37 PM
We cleaned the fall batch of meat chickens today. It is about a month late for the meat chickens but I had trouble getting them last summer. Normally I schedule the fall batch to arrive here at the end of August so they are ready to process either the last week of November or the first week of December. This time, I could not get them until the end of September. Regardless, we now have 30 meat chickens chillin' in the fridge. Tomorrow morning, we will do a final cleaning to make sure we got out all the lungs and stuff, then shrink wrap and weight them and into the freezer...

I need to order the spring batch early this year so we can make sure to get them at the end of February/beginning of March. June is our hottest month and I REALLY do not want to be cleaning meat chickens when it is 100+ degrees outside!

T-Man 1066
12-28-2023, 07:37 PM

We use real butter 95% of the time plus a specific type of butter made from olive oil that Mrs S found every now and then.

I am kinda a Velocite #6 type of feller...

hawgrider
12-28-2023, 08:03 PM
I am kinda a Velocite #6 type of feller...

Lets deep fry one of Inors meat chickens.

Mad Trapper
12-28-2023, 08:09 PM

Bacon grease!

TJC44
12-28-2023, 08:40 PM
Lets deep fry one of Inors meat chickens.

Sounds TASTY! :chef:

StratBastard
12-28-2023, 09:30 PM
Looked into this a bit. Not an easy way to make longterm storage mayo at home.

Me too, storing mayo it's a bitch.

I have found and stored some powdered items like buttermilk, eggs, and Ranch powders. Ditto heavy cream powder. Canned and powdered butter... and oils of course. Together with the bucket of various flavor packets I have, I'll at least be able to mix up something tasty and useful... maybe not precisely mayo, but good enough.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=making+mayonnaise+from+powdered+egg s&mid=031A34DD63E8B9E6FF8A031A34DD63E8B9E6FF8A&FORM=VIRE

Slippy
12-29-2023, 12:57 PM
Spent this morning shooting with Son2 and then spotting for him as he zero'd a Vortex scope that he bought himself for Christmas. We had fun and got his new scope sighted in at MOES...(aka Minute of Eye Socket) at 100yds. :D

I've been telling him for years since he got married, "let your wife buy whatever the hell she wants (within family reason of course) 364 days a year. Then treat yourself to something that YOU want/need." It makes working your ass off all year a bit more rewarding especially around Christmas.

PS Vortex makes some pretty good optics!

BucketBack
12-29-2023, 04:23 PM
And great customer service. I bought an ole 25 hp Everude tiller O/B for $200, thinking I could put the lower unit on my '76 JohnnySon O/B. Wrong. Not easy, now I need a recoil and top...

The ole 25 is newer than the one I have mounted and works. I was just buying backup parts. \\

I've started AR builds when I have a couple springs and detents leftover not wanting to waste parts

Break Out Another Thousand

ETA - looking at a another boat for $500 on a trailer with a 25 hp O/B with cover that doesn't run.

$500 trailer

$150 scrap aluminum hull

free O/B with gas $$$

I'm training folks to be self supporting in the boat repair business, AquaHull will be back up and running

Jester-ND
12-30-2023, 11:11 PM
ordered 10 25-round AR mags for our 308's

StratBastard
12-30-2023, 11:32 PM
ordered 10 25-round AR mags for our 308's

There's a wise investment!

Me I ordered 10 more pounds of powdered buttermilk (for making bread).

Doesn't sound as cool though LOL.

MountainGirl
12-31-2023, 08:19 AM
There's a wise investment!

Me I ordered 10 more pounds of powdered buttermilk (for making bread).

Doesn't sound as cool though LOL.

Who'd you get it from? Might do the same here...

Box of frogs
12-31-2023, 02:36 PM
Pressure canning for the first time.
Putting up our black bean and venison taco mix.
Will tell you how it goes.

StratBastard
12-31-2023, 03:37 PM
Who'd you get it from? Might do the same here...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WN1YTYC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Chiefster23
01-01-2024, 09:35 AM
Just spent an hour or two at the reloading bench. Winter time is a good time to reload as outside work is not possible. I LOVE my Dillon equipment. The powder measuring gizmo is spot on accurate with spherical powders. Just went from full hopper to damned near empty and the weight never varied more than 1/10 grain.
Ordered some temperature sensing liquid so I can start annealing cases.
There is lots of powders available now…….. EXCEPT MY PREFERRED POWDER! I’m thinking that all the war ammo production going on now is using up the stuff that I like the most. I may have to work up some loads using a different powder than I’m used to.

Box of frogs
01-01-2024, 09:44 AM
Pressure canning for the first time.
Putting up our black bean and venison taco mix.
Will tell you how it goes.

Going to can some chicken breast in cream of chicken soup today.

BucketBack
01-01-2024, 09:59 AM
All I have setup is a RCII and a RS 2, the RL550C hasn't been set up but I have a few thou of 9, 45,556,30 carb and 2 fat 50 cans of the CCI blazer from tote'granny days

Chiefster23
01-01-2024, 10:51 AM

Going to can some chicken breast in cream of chicken soup today.

Recipe? Just regular old Campbells soup?

Box of frogs
01-01-2024, 01:19 PM
Recipe? Just regular old Campbells soup?

2# ground beef/venison
Two cans of black beans
One can hot Rotel
Two cans diced chili’s
Two packs taco seasoning (add water per the directions on the seasoning)
1/4 diced onion.

Brown the meat, drain, add the ingredients in the same pan. Heat about 25 minutes on medium.
Use it in tacos, burritos, over chips like nachos.
This makes up real fast and there’s leftovers for the next day.
We both work and this is a quick tasty meal.

The chicken is even easier.
Two boneless skinless chicken breast
Two cans Campbell cream of chicken
One can water
Diced onion to taste
One chicken bouillon cube
Stick it in the crockpot on low overnight.
Serve over rice or noodles.

Slippy
01-01-2024, 01:28 PM
2# ground beef/venison
Two cans of black beans
One can hot Rotel
Two cans diced chili’s
Two packs taco seasoning (add water per the directions on the seasoning)
1/4 diced onion.

Brown the meat, drain, add the ingredients in the same pan. Heat about 25 minutes on medium.
Use it in tacos, burritos, over chips like nachos.
This makes up real fast and there’s leftovers for the next day.
We both work and this is a quick tasty meal.

The chicken is even easier.
Two boneless skinless chicken breast
Two cans Campbell cream of chicken
One can water
Diced onion to taste
One chicken bouillon cube
Stick it in the crockpot on low overnight.
Serve over rice or noodles.

That sounds pretty dang tasty!

Chiefster23
01-01-2024, 01:54 PM
Yummy! Thanks.

Piratesailor
01-01-2024, 03:41 PM
Just spent an hour or two at the reloading bench. Winter time is a good time to reload as outside work is not possible. I LOVE my Dillon equipment. The powder measuring gizmo is spot on accurate with spherical powders. Just went from full hopper to damned near empty and the weight never varied more than 1/10 grain.
Ordered some temperature sensing liquid so I can start annealing cases.
There is lots of powders available now…….. EXCEPT MY PREFERRED POWDER! I’m thinking that all the war ammo production going on now is using up the stuff that I like the most. I may have to work up some loads using a different powder than I’m used to.

Love my dillon. 17 years and still going strong and accurate. Need to get on it again as I need to sight in my two new pistols and do some practice with the vortex venom that is on the Canik.

All the holiday visitors will be leaving so I’ll be able to hit the range more! Guests and fish………………

Chiefster23
01-04-2024, 10:31 AM
Finally received my Big Berkey from Pleasant Hill Grain. Ordered 12/21 so shipping was slow. It was a blemished model so discounted price. But the blemish is just a very small dent on the back side away from the front sight glass so not even visible. Blemish easily smaller than a dime. I’m happy. Just wish shipping was a little faster. It came with 2 black berkey filters which are almost impossible to find now.

Jester-ND
01-04-2024, 02:53 PM
I have several filters, but I decided a while ago to go full-hog and get a still.... replacement parts easy to find!

Mad Trapper
01-04-2024, 03:30 PM
I have several filters, but I decided a while ago to go full-hog and get a still.... replacement parts easy to find!

I've seen some hillbilly homemade still setups using a large used pressure canner with the tap for the jiggler fitted with tubing and condenser.

Inor
01-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Ordered next year's batch of turkeys this morning. Looking at 4 different hatcheries, the soonest we could get delivery is 7/17! (Last year they shipped at the end of May). I'm not sure if that is due to some production problem - just not enough turkeys available, or if it is due to a LOT more people waking up to the fact that if they do not want to be stuck eating bugs, they are going to have to start producing their own food. Obviously, if it is the later this is cause for great celebration.

The big negative with the situation is I do not know if they will be big enough to process by the time next Thanksgiving comes around.

Regardless, I need to get the order in for the spring batch of meat chickens in ASAP! I do not want to be stuck processing chickens in the hottest part of the summer.

BucketBack
01-05-2024, 11:07 AM
I've seen some hillbilly homemade still setups using a large used pressure canner with the tap for the jiggler fitted with tubing and condenser.

Ole MacDonald Had a farm,and ran shine in my 66 Dodge Coronet 440 and he was an Uncle Tom to may Dad, and a bro to Gramps. So 4 Toms in a car full of shine

Chiefster23
01-06-2024, 06:30 AM
Big snow storm due here today and tomorrow. Probably over rated as per the weather man, but we shall see. Generators tested. Last minute food run completed. Tractor fueled and on battery tender. All shovels and snow removal stuff out and ready. Car fueled up. And extra coal brought inside. I’m ready. LET IT SNOW!

Chiefster23
01-06-2024, 06:30 AM
Duplicate post

MountainGirl
01-06-2024, 06:48 AM
Big snow storm due here today and tomorrow. Probably over rated as per the weather man, but we shall see. Generators tested. Last minute food run completed. Tractor fueled and on battery tender. All shovels and snow removal stuff out and ready. Car fueled up. And extra coal brought inside. I’m ready. LET IT SNOW!

Great job, Chief. :thumb:

Box of frogs
01-06-2024, 05:44 PM
Canning 7 quarts of chili tonight.

BucketBack
01-07-2024, 06:54 AM

You're getting MeatChix snow, since the Lakes are open, all the moisture is like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4UyLvy8w-0

oh, my prep of the day will be coffee. All that's left is some folger and wallyworld instant. ugh.

I haven't bought coffee in over 6 years, and the last was best by 2021, some dating back to the S/B days

Sparkyprep
01-07-2024, 02:41 PM
The family and I (including new son-in-law) just got done cutting, splitting, and stacking about 1 cord of oak firewood. Loving the new tractor to help with all the chores.

SOCOM42
01-07-2024, 04:09 PM
We got a foot of snow here today, went out and started the blower.

Went in and woke daughter to go out and use it.

Went back out and shut it off, said she will do it tomorrow.

I don't care, have nowhere to go anyways.

May get some more snow tonight or into tomorrow.

Half the trees have their branches touching the ground right now.

TJC44
01-09-2024, 08:48 PM
We got a foot of snow here today, went out and started the blower.

Went in and woke daughter to go out and use it.

Went back out and shut it off, said she will do it tomorrow.

I don't care, have nowhere to go anyways.

May get some more snow tonight or into tomorrow.

Half the trees have their branches touching the ground right now.

How much did you end up getting from that system. I think it went west of me, into the western part of the state.
I'm now waiting on this 2nd mega system hitting the east coast. Hurricane force winds to the coast, 4-8 inches snow, changing over to another 1-2 inches of rain, Lots of wind. I may be home tomorrow. Firewood inside or nearby, generator ready, Bourbon in the fridge. Who needs work anyway?

Sparkyprep
01-10-2024, 06:56 AM
Managed to get my chainsaw fixed yesterday. Took $100 and 2.5 hours of driving for parts. Going out to work on the woodpile today with the wife.

SOCOM42
01-10-2024, 08:42 AM
How much did you end up getting from that system. I think it went west of me, into the western part of the state.
I'm now waiting on this 2nd mega system hitting the east coast. Hurricane force winds to the coast, 4-8 inches snow, changing over to another 1-2 inches of rain, Lots of wind. I may be home tomorrow. Firewood inside or nearby, generator ready, Bourbon in the fridge. Who needs work anyway?

We got a couple of more inches on top of the foot, not much more.

I am in the western half of the state, almost in the middle of it east-west not counting the Cape.

west and south of Worcester about 20 miles.

As of right now, almost all of the snow is gone, including the blower piles, it is 53 degrees out there right now.

It poured like hell during the dark early morning hours, sun is out now, WTF???

My parking area has about 3 inches of water on it, maybe even more, just looking from window.

Wind blew out the oil burner sometime before I woke up, probably during the thunderstorm, running ok since restart.

Prepared One
01-10-2024, 08:48 AM
Got a cold front heading our way this weekend. Going to check the generator, make sure of my propane storage, and get the pump house in order. I usually throw some warming blankets over the pump and tank just for extra insulation. May do Wally World and top off the truck. Got plenty of firewood and back up heat sources. I am not expecting anything like a few years ago or even last year as far as the temps go, but best to be ready.

Michael_Js
01-10-2024, 09:54 AM
Getting more firewood ready and battening down the hatches for some cooler weather coming in this week:

1skrewsloose
01-10-2024, 01:01 PM
This damn climate change!:)

Sparkyprep
01-10-2024, 02:33 PM
Finally found the bottom of the wood pile. Got about 2 years worth cut, split, and stacked. All done.

MountainGirl
01-10-2024, 02:52 PM
Finally found the bottom of the wood pile. Got about 2 years worth cut, split, and stacked. All done.

Excellent job, Sir - said by one who knows.

1skrewsloose
01-10-2024, 10:47 PM
Finally managed to scrouge up money to get my mini oxy/acetalene tanks filled. Had a full size set that I gave away when I moved years ago. Don't use very often, but when nothing else will work, the smoke wrench does the job. Mississippi welders supply, no contract, just bring in and exchange.

Sparkyprep
01-11-2024, 06:49 AM
Finally managed to scrouge up money to get my mini oxy/acetalene tanks filled. Had a full size set that I gave away when I moved years ago. Don't use very often, but when nothing else will work, the smoke wrench does the job. Mississippi welders supply, no contract, just bring in and exchange.

"It can't be tight if it is liquid."

SOCOM42
01-11-2024, 08:39 AM
Finally managed to scrounge up money to get my mini oxy/acetylene tanks filled. Had a full size set that I gave away when I moved years ago. Don't use very often, but when nothing else will work, the smoke wrench does the job. Mississippi welders supply, no contract, just bring in and exchange.

I have had a set of full size torches for over 60 years, today I have four sets,

got back the set I loaned my brother 30 years ago, back fifteen years ago when he died.

My active set has 25 foot hoses, just have to have the longer ones.

Received another set when a good friend passed.

Got another set, gages, torches with tips, hoses and cutter at DRMO for I think was $10.00,

they were brand new US made like all the others.

Used my active set two weeks ago to remove two screws from the burner head on the burner tube of my oil burner gun.

Did not even bother to try and remove the screws first.

Heated the tube to a dull red around the screws, came out like they were loose to start with.

I cannot see being without them, just as important as say a hammer or a chain saw.

I would say that they are used an average of once a month for all sorts of shit, mostly screw or nut removal.

I even have a Mapp torch that gets used on occasion, fits in in between a Bernzomatic and the oxy/acetylene jobs.

I have a 50 amp plasma cutter that works great, but I still need the gas cutter at times to go where the plasma won't.

The plasma torch will blow through cast iron that the gas cutter will not touch.

Sparkyprep
01-11-2024, 10:48 AM
I have had a set of full size torches for over 60 years, today I have four sets,

got back the set I loaned my brother 30 years ago, back fifteen years ago when he died.

My active set has 25 foot hoses, just have to have the longer ones.

Received another set when a good friend passed.

Got another set, gages, torches with tips, hoses and cutter at DRMO for I think was $10.00,

they were brand new US made like all the others.

Used my active set two weeks ago to remove two screws from the burner head on the burner tube of my oil burner gun.

Did not even bother to try and remove the screws first.

Heated the tube to a dull red around the screws, came out like they were loose to start with.

I cannot see being without them, just as important as say a hammer or a chain saw.

I would say that they are used an average of once a month for all sorts of shit, mostly screw or nut removal.

I even have a Mapp torch that gets used on occasion, fits in in between a Bernzomatic and the oxy/acetylene jobs.

I have a 50 amp plasma cutter that works great, but I still need the gas cutter at times to go where the plasma won't.

The plasma torch will blow through cast iron that the gas cutter will not touch.

I've got a full-size set of oxy/acetylene torch. It come in super-handy sometimes. Granted, I don't use it as much as you, but it has been a life-saver at times. I still don't own a plasma cutter. Maybe one day.

T-Man 1066
01-11-2024, 01:26 PM
I also have a full size oxy/acetylene torch, and a 60 amp plasma cutter.

Haven't tried it yet, maybe someday, but I always thought of making a extension arm for the plasma torch head that I could bolt to the table of one of my CNC mills, and experiment with programming tool paths to profile cut plates. It's on the to-do list, but I haven't really needed anything so far. Someday when I have free time, haha!

1skrewsloose
01-11-2024, 06:38 PM
I thought I'd really miss full size tanks, but the smaller tanks are nice when you got pipes to thaw in the basement, etc. Now I want to get a LP tip since I mainly use it for cutting/freeing rusted bolts.

StratBastard
01-12-2024, 03:32 AM
So apparently we have a big storm coming in. Supposed to shut everything down for like 2-3 days. All over the news how people are running out trying to stock up. For maybe 3 days LOL. Shows just how unprepared people are even for a minor inconvenience. I could get snowed in for a year and be just fine... although I may have to ration the bourbon and tobacco.

Chiefster23
01-12-2024, 05:48 AM
After too much hype, last weekend’s snow event here was mostly a nothing burger. Now they are predicting a polar vortex with nite time temps in the single digits. I’m still prepped up from last weekend. Only thing different will be to bring in extra buckets of coal into basement and to switch on the electric heat tapes on my water lines inside my unheated garage. I just pity my dogs having to go outside to do their business during these cold temps. But they don’t waste time! Shit and git! LOL

Chiefster23
01-12-2024, 05:58 AM
After fighting it for too long, I finally accepted the fact that my eyesight sux. Just ordered a Trijicon red dot optic for my EDC. Now need to get my slide milled to fit. Isn’t getting old fun? Oh yeah! Yesterday surgeon told me I need a partial knee replacement in addition to the full replacement he already did on my other leg. Life is really starting to suck.

BucketBack
01-12-2024, 06:49 AM
After too much hype, last weekend’s snow event here was mostly a nothing burger. Now they are predicting a polar vortex with nite time temps in the single digits. I’m still prepped up from last weekend. Only thing different will be to bring in extra buckets of coal into basement and to switch on the electric heat tapes on my water lines inside my unheated garage. I just pity my dogs having to go outside to do their business during these cold temps. But they don’t waste time! Shit and git! LOL

I used to get up m@ 3, to go wee, now the dogs wake me up for their shit and git. Soon, the snow will be over the Taco Dog's dogs head though.

I stocked up on 75% off booze last summer when it went on clearance at Rite Aid before they closed the FreeMount store' got 65% propane , 20 gallons of fresh gas for "Genny", 12 Coors Lite.

Oh, time to trash the 8 yo chest freezer. I went looking for Ground Venny, and noticed it felt a little soft around the edges. The 2 1/2 gallons of water in milk jugs had a little water on top. I opened the lid and unplugged it and the water refroze. I plugged it back it, heard noise and the frost melted on the freezer side. It's a heater now. The other 25 yo chest that works is full of 50 & 30 cal cans I just put in at Christmas . Now the Mrs says, so how do you like my old freezer now?????

Slippy
01-12-2024, 03:16 PM
After fighting it for too long, I finally accepted the fact that my eyesight sux. Just ordered a Trijicon red dot optic for my EDC. Now need to get my slide milled to fit. Isn’t getting old fun? Oh yeah! Yesterday surgeon told me I need a partial knee replacement in addition to the full replacement he already did on my other leg. Life is really starting to suck.

Let us know when you get the slide milled and the Trijicon mounted. Which model Trijicon?

https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-rmr-dual-defense-kit

It's fun getting used to the dot! Once you "get it", you will like it! :bullseye:

BucketBack
01-12-2024, 03:38 PM
How does the Michigan product do with astigmatism? My Aimpoint dots are getting fuzzier the more my lens curves

2 cases of Coors cans, 2 - 20 packs of Coors bottles, plus 10 bags of rice since 100 or so lbs are in buckets behind the Nat Gas water heater , and we still run propane, which works without electric on the wall furnace

Sparkyprep
01-12-2024, 04:23 PM
So apparently we have a big storm coming in. Supposed to shut everything down for like 2-3 days. All over the news how people are running out trying to stock up. For maybe 3 days LOL. Shows just how unprepared people are even for a minor inconvenience. I could get snowed in for a year and be just fine... although I may have to ration the bourbon and tobacco.

That is what being a prepper is all about. Not necessarily a zombie apocalypse, but the normal stuff that happens all the time. Snowstorms, a run on toilet paper due to overhyped flu, hurricanes, and yes, civil unrest. Just be ready for life, instead of wandering around thinking everything will always be fine, because it certainly won't.

T-Man 1066
01-12-2024, 05:51 PM
That is what being a prepper is all about. Not necessarily a zombie apocalypse, but the normal stuff that happens all the time. Snowstorms, a run on toilet paper due to overhyped flu, hurricanes, and yes, civil unrest. Just be ready for life, instead of wandering around thinking everything will always be fine, because it certainly won't.

This bears repeating!

:potd:

Prepared One
01-12-2024, 06:02 PM

All said and done. People like you and I aren't so worried about the doom and gloom of the local weather, we are already prepared for that nonsense. Weather is easy, at least to me it is. We know what to expect. The real worry is in Washington my friend.

BucketBack
01-12-2024, 08:13 PM
This bears repeating!

:potd:

I went by the TP today, the cart was full of beer

BucketBack
01-12-2024, 08:24 PM
All said and done. People like you and I aren't so worried about the doom and gloom of the local weather, we are already prepared for that nonsense. Weather is easy, at least to me it is. We know what to expect. The real worry is in Washington my friend.

I never went to the sporting goods at Walmart , and Meijer didn't know about the script at the drive thru. I should shovel a couple inches off the ramp, Getting 1 - 2" hour until ? Should I get the roof rake out? Nope, it's 110' away, and Michigan is #1

Naw. I'll get a Coors Light and be thankful the power is on. Candles are ready, charging cellphones. What else to do?

BucketBack
01-12-2024, 08:54 PM
I just shoveled an honest 4" off the ramp and it's slowing down. So far , 9" on the ground for the season right now. as it's melting or lake effect and blowing somewhere. The Weather folks sell SnoSleds, I know I've bought a few. The tree's are heavy with snow as the 15" compacted down , so power lines may come down. Lighting a scented candle to cover up the Gumbo

The Mrs said we will need a wood stove for times like this. Well tell me now before I put up the knotty pine on the wall. We've had 2 stoves in here in the past...

I'll need the knee boots and rake the snow off the roof around Mom's Trailer, maybe a path before the ladder.

Usually by this time I can't walk outside in the waist deep snow

I should see if the Detroit lockers work in the front sometime

Chiefster23
01-13-2024, 04:13 AM

Agreed. Weather is easy. Unfortunately the worry here is Washington, Harrisburg, and my local township municipal building. Seems every government authority is on the bandwagon to restrict freedoms.

Chiefster23
01-13-2024, 04:16 AM
Let us know when you get the slide milled and the Trijicon mounted. Which model Trijicon?

https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-rmr-dual-defense-kit

It's fun getting used to the dot! Once you "get it", you will like it! :bullseye:

I ordered the Trijicon RMRcc with the large red dot. I also ordered a set of sights that will co-witness. Doing research now to decide on which company to do the slide milling on my Glock. If anyone has any recommendations, please chime in. Right now I’m leaning toward Jagerwerks.

I was all set to purchase a new Glock mos, but then I found that the mos cut is not compatible with the RMRcc without using an adaptor plate. That raises the sight height making co-witness sights difficult or impossible.

I have red dots on one other target pistol and on several long guns so I’m used to using them.

Slippy
01-13-2024, 09:47 AM
I ordered the Trijicon RMRcc with the large red dot. I also ordered a set of sights that will co-witness. Doing research now to decide on which company to do the slide milling on my Glock. If anyone has any recommendations, please chime in. Right now I’m leaning toward Jagerwerks.

I was all set to purchase a new Glock mos, but then I found that the mos cut is not compatible with the RMRcc without using an adaptor plate. That raises the sight height making co-witness sights difficult or impossible.

I have red dots on one other target pistol and on several long guns so I’m used to using them.

Chief,

There are 2 school of thoughts on pistol red dots;

Co-witness with irons
Non co-witness with irons

I went with non co-witness with irons...very slightly if that makes sense. The main reason was red dot acquisition and not front sight acquisition. Keep both eyes open too!

I've put in lots of dry fire practice where finding the target first then looking for the red dot vs looking at the front sight. It began to make more sense after shooting a number of rounds.

Wish I could explain it better.

Chiefster23
01-13-2024, 01:56 PM
Slippy. My Ruger target pistol has an old fashioned ultra dot on it and was used only in match shooting. All my other long guns with red dots have folding sights. But I insist on having some back up in case the electric stuff fails. Hence the irons on this which will be my EDC. Making it fail safe and idiot proof. As far as speed and target acquisition, I'm not fast anymore. It is what it is. At least I can see the red dot faster and this is an EDC that really shouldn’t ever be used at anything more than a few yards anyway. Pinpoint accuracy will not be required. If the irons become a problem I can simply remove them.

BucketBack
01-13-2024, 02:53 PM
Just got plowed, envoy is stuck on flat ground, Trailblazer was pushing snow with the bumper in 2 wheel drive 4:10.73 Detroit Locker.

Just got called into work, Steak Fry at the Post, they need volunteers

Sparkyprep
01-13-2024, 04:16 PM
Was just helping a buddy clean up a yard for a house that he is moving into. (His mother-in-law passed away, and left him the house, and all the junk she had collected over 70 years). What did I find? 4 old 250 gal. IBC storage totes with plastic pallets buried in tree limbs and leaves. "Hey bud, what do you want to do with these?" "Throw them away." "Mind if I take them?" "They are yours." Score! Tomorrow I will pull out the plastic tanks, and have 4 new firewood totes, FREE!

Mad Trapper
01-13-2024, 07:23 PM
I finally finished fixing the rim on my little trailer for the old ford/fergy tractors tractor run here all year on the property, then put on a new tube/tire.

All done by hand. Rim was pretty f'ed up. Spent a day cleaning it and brazing, needed to modify then braze on a washer where valve stem fits, it was ugly there. I then found a good rust reformer paint (two weeks ago?). Put the new tire back on by hand with irons but it was a PITA. Next time will be easier, have it figured out with tools I have. I can put on car/small truck tires myself. Good skill to have.

Yesterday was a good day to put the tire on rim, 50 oF and all the ice/snow melted. Today rain pissed on me, still o50 F, so fingers weren't froze putting on the tire to the trailer. Gonna be cold for a week, maybe finally get in some ice fishing. Good to go for hauling firewood.

It's good to know how to do this shit without having to resort/go to a garage/tire shop.

Before

After

Getting the new tire/tube on. Didn't pinch the tube!

Just needs air.....

StratBastard
01-13-2024, 07:51 PM
Finally got our "monster storm" LOL... pretty much a nothing-burger so far. 4 inches of snow last night but none all day. 25 degrees and holding.

I have had scores of birds at my big kitchen picture window all day. With snow on the ground, no bugs or worms to eat. So my birdseed feeder and hummingbird feeder are apparently the talk of the town. There have been so many all day, I finally went out and cast some bird seed on the ground too... just not enough room for them all at the serving counter LOL.

Mad Trapper
01-13-2024, 08:18 PM
Finally got our "monster storm" LOL... pretty much a nothing-burger so far. 4 inches of snow last night but none all day. 25 degrees and holding.

I have had scores of birds at my big kitchen picture window all day. With snow on the ground, no bugs or worms to eat. So my birdseed feeder and hummingbird feeder are apparently the talk of the town. There have been so many all day, I finally went out and cast some bird seed on the ground too... just not enough room for them all at the serving counter LOL.

I made some neat stuff to keep the tree rats/squirrels out. Use some PVC pipe to mount the feeder, then coat the PVC with oil /fat (olive, cooking, bacon, motor, used motor, chainsaw (holds up), ...

BucketBack
01-14-2024, 06:52 AM
All the bars were closed including the infamous " Jimmy's Roadhouse" that wouldn't close for Covid but did for 4" of snow. Big game today at Post 4249, where I washed dishes last night for 3 drinks and a steak

https://jimmysroadhouse.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/415883116448300/

Inor
01-29-2024, 06:21 PM
Ordered the spring batch of meat chickens today. This order was a bit of a milestone! We had enough interest from the neighbors that I was able to get the next larger price break on quantity. WOO HOO! They are shipping on 2/27.

Thankfully whatever caused the shortage last fall seems to have been sorted out. With the holidays, I forgot about getting them ordered early so I was concerned they would be delayed like the last batch. That would have sucked since June is our hottest month and I did not want to be processing them in triple digit temps. But as it is, we can process just after Memorial Day.

1skrewsloose
01-29-2024, 07:01 PM
I finally finished fixing the rim on my little trailer for the old ford/fergy tractors tractor run here all year on the property, then put on a new tube/tire.

All done by hand. Rim was pretty f'ed up. Spent a day cleaning it and brazing, needed to modify then braze on a washer where valve stem fits, it was ugly there. I then found a good rust reformer paint (two weeks ago?). Put the new tire back on by hand with irons but it was a PITA. Next time will be easier, have it figured out with tools I have. I can put on car/small truck tires myself. Good skill to have.

Yesterday was a good day to put the tire on rim, 50 oF and all the ice/snow melted. Today rain pissed on me, still o50 F, so fingers weren't froze putting on the tire to the trailer. Gonna be cold for a week, maybe finally get in some ice fishing. Good to go for hauling firewood.

It's good to know how to do this shit without having to resort/go to a garage/tire shop.

Before

After

Getting the new tire/tube on. Didn't pinch the tube!

Just needs air.....

Just now going back thru the thread realized I don't have any tire irons, soon to be fixed. FYI, big screwdrivers won't cut it.:)

Michael_Js
01-29-2024, 11:18 PM
I bought tools to remove and replace the tires on my motorcycle a long time ago - figured I'd save some extra as I was already taking them off the bike and bringing them in to have new ones put on. Well, I wound up bending/warping the disc rotor and instead of saving money, it cost over $200 for 1 new rotor :( Never tried that again! :)

Peace,
Michael J.

SOCOM42
01-30-2024, 05:39 PM
Did all four on my tractor 2 years ago.

Used my press to break the beads.

The smaller ones were a bigger bitch than the larger ones.

BucketBack
01-30-2024, 07:43 PM
Went to the bank, and moved stuff around in the barn again, and surfed the internet

T-Man 1066
01-30-2024, 07:47 PM
I bought tools to remove and replace the tires on my motorcycle a long time ago - figured I'd save some extra as I was already taking them off the bike and bringing them in to have new ones put on. Well, I wound up bending/warping the disc rotor and instead of saving money, it cost over $200 for 1 new rotor :( Never tried that again! :)

Peace,
Michael J.

When I used to race stock cars, I used the bumper jack on my '81 E-150 to break beads. Worked great!

Jester-ND
01-31-2024, 05:48 PM
$650 spent at walmart..... pretty sure some of it qualifies as preps.

TJC44
02-01-2024, 09:11 PM

Beans, Bandaids, & Bullets?

Jester-ND
02-02-2024, 08:53 AM
Beans, Bandaids, & Bullets?

actually none of those....

oil, filters, light bulbs, gatorade powder....... when we live an hr away we tend to buy in bulk, 4 gallons of milk at a time....

StratBastard
02-02-2024, 09:47 PM
Don't think I'll be adding these to the shelves.

Fully cooked, ready to eat! Dig in LOL.

BucketBack
02-03-2024, 07:33 AM

That's 25 cases of Coors Light OTD in MeatChicken

eta- that's about what we spend on beer per month? Not counting the Post or Sports Club? :thinking:

$500 down, $500/month for a year will get me an acre of land next door if I'm lucky

1skrewsloose
02-03-2024, 07:34 PM
actually none of those....

oil, filters, light bulbs, gatorade powder....... when we live an hr away we tend to buy in bulk, 4 gallons of milk at a time....

Reminds me of years ago, specs declared on certain oil filters, remove 95% of contaminants in the first pass, what does that mean , after the firsr pass, of 1 qt. they do js ?what about after that, they're done, dead in the water,, don't really do much after that? Back in the day saw a conversion from spin on to cannister TP roll ,cheapest insurance you could get. My Dad said so.:)

tp

StratBastard
02-03-2024, 09:26 PM
Prepper tip:

1skrewsloose
02-03-2024, 09:31 PM
Prepper tip:

Lol:)

Chiefster23
02-04-2024, 07:07 AM
My house is connected to the township sewer system. It occurs to me that in an extended power outage it is possible that sewage could back up into my house. So this week I’m going to get an inflatable pipe plug that I can insert down the clean out/inspection port and inflate to seal any backflow into my house. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this before.

Prepared One
02-04-2024, 09:29 AM
My house is connected to the township sewer system. It occurs to me that in an extended power outage it is possible that sewage could back up into my house. So this week I’m going to get an inflatable pipe plug that I can insert down the clean out/inspection port and inflate to seal any backflow into my house. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this before.

I had provisions for this scenario in Houston, thankfully that is not a concern here at Ten Oaks. Your right tho, a lot of preppers overlook this detail. Nice catch.

BucketBack
02-04-2024, 01:00 PM

That's why Roseville MI, became Roachville. Detroit Public Works handled the sewers for surrounding cities and townships.

Roaches traveled thru the sewage system from DeToilet to surrounding cities and came up thru the drains

Chiefster23
02-06-2024, 04:59 AM
I contacted an engineer at the local sewer and water authority. I live on the side of a mountain and the sewer main for this area runs right thru my front yard. Turns out everything between my house and the sewer treatment plant is downhill. It is impossible for anything to back up into my house. Even a power failure at the treatment plant would not cause a backup. Everything simply overflows into the local river. No need for me to buy an inflatable pipe plug.

The engineer also turned me on to a local lab to have my spring and cistern tested to see if the water is safe to drink. That happens today.

Prepared One
02-06-2024, 07:56 AM
I think everyone should cross the T's and dot the I's in regards to their preps. Hope I am wrong but I have the feeling we don't have long to wait before the dominoes begin tipping.

SOCOM42
02-06-2024, 07:59 AM
On a different subject.

First, a little background of me,

Back around 1954-5, I had taught myself how to read schematic drawings of electrical/electronic circuits.

In 1957 I hitchhiked to Boston and took and passed my general class amature license, passed a second phone ticket while there.

So, wiring of anything is not alien to me.

Proof of this is when I took a entrance test with Xerox Corp. as a service tech.

The day of the test there were about 50 others taking it also.

I was the second one done with the test, handed it in, it was scanned quickly by one of the testers.

He told me to sit and wait for the end of the testing,

they did a detailed exam of my papers while the clock was running out for everyone else.

When all the other testers had left they called me up to the desk.

They asked me when I could start the job training program, "In two weeks" I said.

They then informed me that I had aced the test, first to ever do so.

Before I could start, the Watts riots broke out!

My only goal then was to get the hell out of California, which I did a couple of months later, thank you John C.

Fast forward to today's time.

A week ago I replaced the home oil burner primary control, that was a form of HELL!

For anyone interested the new one is a Resideo R7284U.

After installation, for three hours I could not get it to run!!!

I checked the wiring (simple) a dozen times, had daughter check the wiring colors for me, I use a 5,600 kelvin lamp for colors.

Went over the manual a couple of dozen times, everything was done right to it.

Now this thing is programmable, with a two line display.

I kept thinking I screwed the entries up, did them over a hundred times with no luck.

Display kept on saying "ready" as it was suppose to, but no move up to "ignition".

Frustrated, I then went on line to check if anyone else had had the same problem, YUP! they sure had!

There are several electronically switched outputs on the control, for ignition, oil valve, motor, limit, along with AC in.

Each one of these outputs requires a line entry either by choice or in some case by default.

These output tabs are all lined up in a neat color coded row, ready for the push on connectors.

The problem was, first nothing in the manual for a solution.

Second the limit terminal was only marked limit, with no indication of "in" or "out".

While all the others around it were outputs this fucking one was an input terminal!!!!!

The tab needed a line voltage input!

The instant I read about the jumper, it all made sense to me.

My limit switches are independent of the primary, stack limit cuts of power to the primary unit

Once that was done it worked perfectly, just added a jumper from the line tab near it and done.

With that done the display went from "ready" to "ignition" to "flame".

What is neat, the unit measures the resistance value of the CD cell constantly, displays the value.

It will tell you in advance of the eminent failure of the cell, easy to replace, saves analyzing the problem.

If you miss the indication, it will tell you it failed.

I hope this saves one of you the pain I went through because of the lack of information, if you do you own.

I have been doing mine since 1970, oil burners that is, as a kid it was coal for heating, which I shoveled.

SOCOM42
02-06-2024, 08:15 AM
Ordered a couple of cases of # 10 cans of survival food last night, was on sale.

That will be rat holed when it gets here, already have a ton of assorted types in #10's stored already.

It is to be used a a monotony breaker against our basic rice and bean fodder.

BucketBack
02-06-2024, 08:36 AM
Mountain house has 40% off of $90 a can Beef Stroking Off

Chiefster23
02-06-2024, 11:49 AM
I think everyone should cross the T's and dot the I's in regards to their preps. Hope I am wrong but I have the feeling we don't have long to wait before the dominoes begin tipping.

THIS! ^^^^^^^^

SOCOM42
02-06-2024, 03:19 PM
Mountain house has 40% off of $90 a can Beef Stroking Off

Thanks, but, for me any Stroganoff means almost instant shits.

Ex wife poisoning of me caused severe limits to what I can eat.

Love all sorts of cheeses but can only get away with the Mozzy on pizza.

I miss my blue cheese on crackers.

Broncosfan
02-06-2024, 05:11 PM
I got an order of new CCI 22LR "Uppercuts" Slides were busted when they arrived. Not packed well from CCI. They bounced around in the shipping box. CCI is filling out a claim with UPS. Got 400 rds of 556 today finally after shipping delay. Its getting expensive but figure I would rather have a little more sitting around.

1skrewsloose
02-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Shipping costs on ammo really hurts, I've got maybe two places bookmarked that offer free shipping. PPR is more, but with no shipping costs comes out to be a good deal.

BucketBack
02-06-2024, 08:21 PM
Thanks, but, for me any Stroganoff means almost instant shits.

Ex wife poisoning of me caused severe limits to what I can eat.

Love all sorts of cheeses but can only get away with the Mozzy on pizza.

I miss my blue cheese on crackers.

It was only $25- 1 1/2 years ago for the shits

Broncosfan
02-06-2024, 08:23 PM
Shipping costs on ammo really hurts, I've got maybe two places bookmarked that offer free shipping. PPR is more, but with no shipping costs comes out to be a good deal.

Free shipping on ammo is harder to find these days. I paid for shipping on the 223. It still was a little cheaper than if I drove to pick it up. I also saved myself some time for sure.

Chiefster23
02-09-2024, 08:56 AM
I posted a few days back about having my spring and cistern water tested. The results were not great. The water has significant bacteria. Fortunately, this cAn easily be treated with chlorine bleach. The lab guy discouraged me from testing for cysts. Said it was too expensive. But I worry about these kinds of nasties. I found a 12 volt filter system that can easily deal with this problem but it’s expensive. After this morning’s news shows, I pushed the “buy now” button as things are really starting to heat up. Yes, the berkey will deal with cysts too. But it’s slow. The PORTAWELL system creates good water at a much faster pace.

I already have a 1200 watt solar system with some spares put back. Next up I’m going to purchase a few extra flexible solar panels to keep for ‘just in case’. The big system can be too easily damaged by some vandal throwing rocks. I’m spending $ but maybe better to spend now on things we may need rather than let inflation and the government eat away at it or even confiscate it. Time is growing short.

MountainGirl
02-09-2024, 09:58 AM
Yesterday I ordered a supply of the three medicinal herbs that PO uses to treat/control his high blood pressure. Always pondered planting/growing them here, for a renewable supply, and still might, but didn't want to rely on extreme weather not ending that effort. Reviewing the rest of my apothecary now; still have a good year's worth of other medicinal herbs & supplies, might still increase some of those, and with this last order PO's covered for 6 years.

BucketBack
02-13-2024, 10:14 AM
I bought what I thought were OTC items and a couple button up shirts for $3 each. Made in Bangledesh

Got $628 worth of Propane in the P.I.G.. Not so Choice 1

Debit card wouldn't work. I've had it for years and never used it. Bank didn't know I had it. Hooked up online banking and no paper. I'm finding stuff to sell, and PayPal is hookered to it.

Her car is in the shop, she took mine with the neighbor to the pantry, Doing 2nd load of dishes and layndry, picking up sticks, dug out the firepit, and Fastnacht Day! starts now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_laByMF8o

Inor
02-13-2024, 06:41 PM
Picked up 4 more parcels of land on our annual tax auction today! I only bid on 4 of them and won all 4. So I'm happy...

StratBastard
02-13-2024, 08:42 PM
Picked up 4 more parcels of land on our annual tax auction today! I only bid on 4 of them and won all 4. So I'm happy...

Aggressive expansionism, I like it! And in this manner, you lose no chariots or legions.

May the Inor Empire stand 1000 years!

Chiefster23
02-14-2024, 05:34 AM
Received my PORTAWELL system with a large supply of extra filters. I already have 2 pounds of pure bleach chemical (calcium hypochlorite) to mix up a bleach solution. I also have a good supply of berkey filters. I’m very confident I have my safe drinking water bases covered. Sanitation seems covered too since my sewer piping is all down hill from me to the treatment plant and river. Now to get a few extra solar panels into storage. The tax refund should cover that prep.

MountainGirl
02-14-2024, 06:56 AM

Contiguous ?

Inor
02-14-2024, 09:20 AM
Contiguous ?

No.

One of them is a 30 acre plot right at the base of the mountains. That was the one I REALLY wanted because it will be useful moving cattle in the spring and fall. The cattle spend the winters on national forest land in the mountains and summers out in "the flats" (the land surrounding M.T. Acres). Moving them between the two is currently a pain because we have to drive them through a very small bottleneck of land that butts directly up to the national forest. So if I can take the fences off of the land from the auction, it will save a TON of time moving cows twice per year.

The other 3 are just 1-2 acre plots not connected to anything we own. A couple are even off the ranch. If I do actually end up getting the title on those, I think I will use one for some beehives since I won't have to worry about cows trying to scratch up against the hives and knocking them over. Also, I won't have to spend a buttload of money on fences, etc. to get setup.

1skrewsloose
02-14-2024, 01:54 PM
Always thought it would be nice to have land next to Fed national forest or the like. Save me on paying full property tax. Talked with my bud who lives outdide of Beloit, complains he pays $2k on property tax, He's got 20 acres, I pay the same for a stupid lot in town.

MountainGirl
02-14-2024, 05:21 PM
Received my PORTAWELL system with a large supply of extra filters. I already have 2 pounds of pure bleach chemical (calcium hypochlorite) to mix up a bleach solution. I also have a good supply of berkey filters. I’m very confident I have my safe drinking water bases covered. Sanitation seems covered too since my sewer piping is all down hill from me to the treatment plant and river. Now to get a few extra solar panels into storage. The tax refund should cover that prep.

Good job on those preps.

Hey - I tried to reply to your pm about gardening and it said your mailbox is full so I couldn't send it.

1skrewsloose
02-14-2024, 05:38 PM
^^^ I must be an unpolpular/ dirt bag no one cares to talk to,lol
:)I never get any messages. I'm fine with that, actually a good thing that's why I prep/keep stock, less time I have to spend out and about being around people.

Denton
02-14-2024, 06:08 PM
^^^ I must be an unpolpular/ dirt bag no one cares to talk to,lol
:)I never get any messages. I'm fine with that, actually a good thing that's why I prep/keep stock, less time I have to spend out and about being around people.

Same here.
We might as well just go eat worms.

Ricekila
02-14-2024, 10:22 PM
Same here.
We might as well just go eat worms.

So I can safely assume you never went to Jungle Training School -L

Denton
02-15-2024, 09:20 AM

I did not. It was closed around the time I enlisted. Focus diverted from the jungles of Vietnam to the forests of Germany.

1skrewsloose
02-15-2024, 05:10 PM

You're reffering to the school of hard knocks? Its gives the test first, and the lesosn after?:)

SOCOM42
02-15-2024, 05:56 PM
I did not. It was closed around the time I enlisted. Focus diverted from the jungles of Vietnam to the forests of Germany.

When I was in, it was the reverse, going from the Fulda Gap to the SEA jungles.

Same enemies', just plain red.

Now it is coming coming around to the Hurtgen forest area again, slow but sure, if Pukin doesn't completely run out of tanks.

They are pulling T-54's out of the boneyard to fight, 70 year old tanks!

Best beware though, they are still a tracked gun platform, old cheap junk to suck up expensive AT munitions.

Back then we had 106RR's, M-48 tanks, and TOW's.

Prepared One
02-16-2024, 07:39 AM
When I was in, it was the reverse, going from the Fulda Gap to the SEA jungles.

Same enemies', just plain red.

Now it is coming coming around to the Hurtgen forest area again, slow but sure, if Pukin doesn't completely run out of tanks.

They are pulling T-54's out of the boneyard to fight, 70 year old tanks!

Best beware though, they are still a tracked gun platform, old cheap junk to suck up expensive AT munitions.

Back then we had 106RR's, M-48 tanks, and TOW's.

People say the Russians are getting desperate using their old tanks and equipment. I think the Russians are bleeding the Ukrainians dry (and us) using old equipment. It has always been a tactic of the Russians to throw men and material into the battle grinding the enemy down till they have no more left to throw in the fight. Perhaps not the most brilliant tactic, but effective.

T-Man 1066
02-16-2024, 08:18 AM
People say the Russians are getting desperate using their old tanks and equipment. I think the Russians are bleeding the Ukrainians dry (and us) using old equipment. It has always been a tactic of the Russians to throw men and material into the battle grinding the enemy down till they have no more left to throw in the fight. Perhaps not the most brilliant tactic, but effective.

There are a few decent documentaries I have seen on YT, called War Factories. The first country to run out of men or equipment looses the war.

Slippy
02-16-2024, 09:57 AM
There are a few decent documentaries I have seen on YT, called War Factories. The first country to run out of men or equipment looses the war.

This for the win!^^^^^

I'd wager that WW2 was a pretty good example of this. Allies and especially the US threw a lot of men and equipment at the Nat-zees and Japs. Lots and lots of men and steel.

2 really fucking big ordnances on Jap-Land sealed the deal

Prepared One
02-16-2024, 10:10 AM

That's right, we outspent and outproduced Germany and Japan, which is why neither of them really wanted us in the fight. Italy was a pretty much a non factor. Could we do that again given today's youth, the woke military, and the current industrial might. I don't think so.

Chiefster23
02-16-2024, 01:32 PM
That's right, we outspent and outproduced Germany and Japan, which is why neither of them really wanted us in the fight. Italy was a pretty much a non factor. Could we do that again given today's youth, the woke military, and the current industrial might. I don't think so.

We don’t have the mills to produce steel. And we don’t have machinery or factories here anymore. Hell! We don’t have the machines necessary to produce machines to fill the factories. And where are you gonna find machinists today?

BucketBack
02-16-2024, 01:59 PM
I retired out of the International Association of Machinists and chicken plucker machine operators....

T-Man 1066
02-16-2024, 02:20 PM
We don’t have the mills to produce steel. And we don’t have machinery or factories here anymore. Hell! We don’t have the machines necessary to produce machines to fill the factories. And where are you gonna find machinists today?

Do I have to revive the "Show us your Shop" thread?!?!

Unfortunately I don't think I could support a war single-handedly.

Maybe I should start the "T-Man 1066's School Of Machining And Beer Consumption".

Lesson 1: Crack a cold one.

Lesson 2: Count your fingers.

Lesson 3: When you can't come up with 10, either you just lost one in a machine, or you're too drunk to count to 10! :needbeer: :redneck:

BucketBack
02-16-2024, 02:52 PM
When I needed to do some shaping. I'd go to lunch, couple beers and a smoke to smooth my nerves. Then turn up the walkman to hide the whine of the knives

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c8/57/dd/c857dda1a8ba8eeb1b638466f3c6bada.jpg

1skrewsloose
02-16-2024, 03:27 PM
This for the win!^^^^^

I'd wager that WW2 was a pretty good example of this. Allies and especially the US threw a lot of men and equipment at the Nat-zees and Japs. Lots and lots of men and steel.

2 really fucking big ordnances on Jap-Land sealed the deal

Can't find the quote of who said it, very few problems that can't be solved with a suitable amount of explosives. Stormin Norman maybe?

BucketBack
02-16-2024, 04:22 PM
Can't find the quote of who said it, very few problems that can't be solved with a suitable amount of explosives. Stormin Norman maybe?

https://live.staticflickr.com/49/133709072_b901161872_n.jpg

T-Man 1066
02-16-2024, 05:32 PM
When I needed to do some shaping. I'd go to lunch, couple beers and a smoke to smooth my nerves. Then turn up the walkman to hide the whine of the knives

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c8/57/dd/c857dda1a8ba8eeb1b638466f3c6bada.jpg

John Deere edition oscillating shaper?

Prepared One
02-16-2024, 05:40 PM

And who would you get to fight? You think the youth of today's America will stand and fight. Sad to say, I think not.

Sparkyprep
02-16-2024, 06:14 PM

I know it wouldn't win a war, but I have to tell you, I work with probably 50-60 VERY talented machinists, some of whome are quite young. Oh, and not a single CNC machine in sight. We don't use them. Lathes, mills, surface grinders, boring mills, etc., but nothing "programmable".

Chiefster23
02-16-2024, 06:21 PM
Oh I know there are some skilled machinists left around. But it’s not like it was a few decades back. America used to be filled with skilled tradesmen. Now it’s filled with uber drivers and Starbucks baristas. And the zeros who suck welfare and do nothing. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks searching for a stonemason. Hah! Seems like unicorns are more plentiful than stone masons. I started working in a shipyard right out of school. Now there are almost no shipyards and very very few skilled yard workers. But never fear! America does have a plentiful supply of Karen’s and snowflakes.

1skrewsloose
02-16-2024, 06:34 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/49/133709072_b901161872_n.jpg

I was actulaly thinking General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, kicking major butt in Desert Storm, always hit your enemy with all you got just as hard and fast as you can.

BucketBack
02-16-2024, 06:36 PM
John Deere edition oscillating shaper?

Creative Industries had a Brown and Sharpe vertical shaper with 3 - 18" knives, with a 220v motor, to start the real 440v motor , and then the sound of the whine from the knives throughout the shop

BucketBack
02-16-2024, 06:42 PM
I was actulaly thinking General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, kicking major butt in Desert Storm, always hit your enemy with all you got just as hard and fast as you can.

That's how Norm broke the rack in pool, and played ball , before he drowned falling off his transom on Lake MeatChix

I played pool against him for a couple years back in the 80's out by Wixom lake where friend 's hung out.

Obnoxious , Cocky, S.O.B.. he was . We got along

T-Man 1066
02-16-2024, 08:22 PM
I may have told this story. 9-11 Happened. Before we "officially" started the war, late September of that year, boss man came to me on a Thursday afternoon. "Plan on living here this weekend. Don't care if wife & T-Son 1066 hang out here, but Monday AM I got a military man with alot of rank expecting to pick up 50 M16 barrels. 8-1/2" long, threaded. Don't ask no questions."

Apparently we had Spec-Ops clearing out caves and tunnels, wanted short profile M16's that they could manipulate really tight tunnels in search of Hodgeys.

I never got any feedback, but hope that my effort put extra holes in the enemy!

Slippy
02-17-2024, 06:11 AM
I may have told this story. 9-11 Happened. Before we "officially" started the war, late September of that year, boss man came to me on a Thursday afternoon. "Plan on living here this weekend. Don't care if wife & T-Son 1066 hang out here, but Monday AM I got a military man with alot of rank expecting to pick up 50 M16 barrels. 8-1/2" long, threaded. Don't ask no questions."

Apparently we had Spec-Ops clearing out caves and tunnels, wanted short profile M16's that they could manipulate really tight tunnels in search of Hodgeys.

I never got any feedback, but hope that my effort put extra holes in the enemy!

:9/11:

I need more AR Pistols...

BucketBack
02-17-2024, 06:29 AM
As of November 8, 2023. pistol braces are legal as of now based on the fifth circuit court of appeals decision. Read more about Britto VS ATF here

The legality of pistol braces have been challenged many times in the past few years, and the legal uncertainty made many gun owners frustrated.

https://www.badassoptic.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/atf-ruling-on-pistol-brace.png.webp

I just put the pieces back together,2 pins and a hex screw.I just can't wait to shoot it again. The 20 round aluminum Brownells mag is sleeker than the 30rd PMAG

I have a stripped PSA Trump Lower

maybe something like this

https://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/7af8331bf1196ca28793bd1e8f6ecc7b/5/1/516447140_1.jpg

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-1-7-nitride-upper-w-o-bcg-or-ch-507020.html

Benjamins for Washington's / Lincoln's Day Sale??

Ricekila
02-17-2024, 02:30 PM
You're reffering to the school of hard knocks? Its gives the test first, and the lesosn after?:)

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Food/.highres/Aboriginalfood.jpg?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Food/.highres/Aboriginalfood.jpg?width=180&height=180&fit=bounds)

StratBastard
02-18-2024, 10:20 PM
Anyone got these stacked deep in the pantry?

Prepared One
02-19-2024, 08:44 AM
Oh I know there are some skilled machinists left around. But it’s not like it was a few decades back. America used to be filled with skilled tradesmen. Now it’s filled with uber drivers and Starbucks baristas. And the zeros who suck welfare and do nothing. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks searching for a stonemason. Hah! Seems like unicorns are more plentiful than stone masons. I started working in a shipyard right out of school. Now there are almost no shipyards and very very few skilled yard workers. But never fear! America does have a plentiful supply of Karen’s and snowflakes.

Suppose we had the skilled people, manufacturing capabilities, people who would fight, and more? We also have Joe Biden as commander and chief, we still lose.

Sparkyprep
02-20-2024, 05:11 PM
Suppose we had the skilled people, manufacturing capabilities, people who would fight, and more? We also have Joe Biden as commander and chief, we still lose.

Joe Biden is NOT the Commander-In-Chief. He never was. He never will be. Problem is, we don't know who the Commander-In-Chief is. It is a faceless cabal. But, we are still screwed.

Prepared One
02-20-2024, 06:01 PM
Joe Biden is NOT the Commander-In-Chief. He never was. He never will be. Problem is, we don't know who the Commander-In-Chief is. It is a faceless cabal. But, we are still screwed.

Agree. Dementia Joe was never in charge from day one.

Chiefster23
02-22-2024, 07:32 AM
I got 2 more 100watt solar panels and a small charge controller. I was on MISSOURI WIND AND SOLAR website and found a video on how to make a solar powered 5 gallon bucket hot water heater . Hot water is nice, even in small quantities! I ordered the necessary equipment to build one and I will report my results when it’s built. I’m far into the weeds now trying to find alternatives to everything in our daily lives for if/when the shock comes, things won’t be so bad. I’m sure the wife will be 100% on board with hot water to wash her hair!!!

BucketBack
02-22-2024, 09:05 AM
Hot water for her to wash dishes :behindsofa:

I just did a load of dishes, the Mrs says her ankle hurts, well stop soaking your feet and soak your hands......:callme:

Mad Trapper
02-22-2024, 11:45 AM
Hot water for her to wash dishes :behindsofa:

I just did a load of dishes, the Mrs says her ankle hurts, well stop soaking your feet and soak your hands......:callme:

MountainGirl
02-22-2024, 01:16 PM
I got 2 more 100watt solar panels and a small charge controller. I was on MISSOURI WIND AND SOLAR website and found a video on how to make a solar powered 5 gallon bucket hot water heater . Hot water is nice, even in small quantities! I ordered the necessary equipment to build one and I will report my results when it’s built. I’m far into the weeds now trying to find alternatives to everything in our daily lives for if/when the shock comes, things won’t be so bad. I’m sure the wife will be 100% on board with hot water to wash her hair!!!

Looking forward to your update on this!
I love doing the dishes by hand, hot water helps my stiff fingers :)

Chiefster23
02-22-2024, 01:22 PM
Just for clarification, this heater will use solar panels or 12 volt battery power to heat the water. This is not a ‘passive’ set up.

MountainGirl
02-22-2024, 04:16 PM
Just for clarification, this heater will use solar panels or 12 volt battery power to heat the water. This is not a ‘passive’ set up.

Right, guessed that. Only thing I've seen along those lines (non-passive) is an immersion type probe. Is this that?

Inor
02-29-2024, 10:46 PM
The spring batch of meat chickens arrived today!

The problem was, they came about 2 days before we were expecting them and we were not setup for them. So after a quick run-around this morning getting at least one cage setup in the wood shop before I had to get to work, they are in and bedded down. This is the biggest batch we have done so far. We ordered 50 and, per usual, they sent a couple extra in case any died during shipping. Also, as usual, they were all fine. I did not have time to get all the cages setup before having to get to work, so right now all 50+ are in a single cage. I will remedy that this weekend. But for a few days, they will be fine.

I also got the water line that I was running to our back pasture finished last Sunday. Mrs Inor got some new raspberry and blueberry bushes planted out by it earlier this week. This is the third time we have tried to grow raspberries and blueberries. The last two times they all died almost immediately. I have my doubts about this bunch, but maybe the 3rd time is charm? Or maybe, the Good Lord just does not want us to have raspberries and blueberries. Either way, we have been wildly successful with strawberries, so that is at least a victory. Regardless, my spring fever hit in full force since this weekend.

Chiefster23
03-01-2024, 05:16 AM
Inor. My luck is just the opposite. I have blueberries out the wazoo but no luck with raspberry or strawberry plants.

MG. Yes, an immersion probe. I received it yesterday and built my bucket water heater. I did only a short trial run as it was late afternoon when I finished. It works. I bought a 12 volt 200 watt probe. I hooked it up to my 12 volt battery bank and it raised the water temp 10 degrees in 20 minutes. I have to experiment more. One puzzling fact. The probe is rated for 200 watts but seems to be drawing 400 watts. Don’t know why, but it doesn’t appear to be a problem. So it looks like I will be able to produce one bucket of usable hot water in about an hour. And if I do this during sunshine hours, it won’t drain down my batteries.

MountainGirl
03-01-2024, 07:13 AM
Inor. My luck is just the opposite. I have blueberries out the wazoo but no luck with raspberry or strawberry plants.

MG. Yes, an immersion probe. I received it yesterday and built my bucket water heater. I did only a short trial run as it was late afternoon when I finished. It works. I bought a 12 volt 200 watt probe. I hooked it up to my 12 volt battery bank and it raised the water temp 10 degrees in 20 minutes. I have to experiment more. One puzzling fact. The probe is rated for 200 watts but seems to be drawing 400 watts. Don’t know why, but it doesn’t appear to be a problem. So it looks like I will be able to produce one bucket of usable hot water in about an hour. And if I do this during sunshine hours, it won’t drain down my batteries.

That's excellent, Chiefster.

On the mountain, after we replaced the propane HW heater that tried to kill us with a 20gal 110 electric one, and installed an on/off switch on the wall, whenever there was excess power coming down from the array we'd turn it on and it took about an hour to be ready for showers/laundry.

Sure wish we had that setup here. I might save up for one.
Not as many 'solar hours' here in east Texas, but there is enough.

Chiefster23
03-01-2024, 09:20 AM
My location is not really good for solar either. Winter is almost always cloudy. But wintertime I can get hot water from my coal stove. And the other 3 seasons I could use the new solar powered setup. Hey! Anything is better than nothing in an emergency situation. The wife just rolls her eyes when she sees me building some of these projects. But she wasn’t rolling her eyes when we had toilet paper when others didn’t. LOL

20 gallon 115 volt water heater…………. Hmmm………….my mind is thinking again!

BucketBack
03-01-2024, 11:00 AM
I just rotated the TP , went from Cottonelle soft and extra plush ( clogging the toilet and septic ) to Northern soft and plush, which falls apart easier. The angel soft we use for blowing our runny nose, and the cottonelle as a paper towel, ie, picking up doggie do do

2 plastic garbage cans full on Northern

MountainGirl
03-01-2024, 01:39 PM
My location is not really good for solar either. Winter is almost always cloudy. But wintertime I can get hot water from my coal stove. And the other 3 seasons I could use the new solar powered setup. Hey! Anything is better than nothing in an emergency situation. The wife just rolls her eyes when she sees me building some of these projects. But she wasn’t rolling her eyes when we had toilet paper when others didn’t. LOL

Panels will still work around 30-40% under overcast skies (think trickle charge); heavy clouds not at all.

Chiefster23
03-01-2024, 02:37 PM
Yes panels work half-azzed on cloudy days, like today. Did another test run. 400 watts again. In 1 hour water temp came up 30 degrees. So 1 degree every 2 minutes. I’m good with that. Gotta fix a tiny leak around the heating element and I’ll call this project completed. Pack it away until the day it’s needed. Hopefully never!

Went to buy pork roasts to be put up in canning jars today. Dumb move! Today is 1st of the month so the stores were crazy busy. I’ll go on Monday when things calm down.

Slippy
03-01-2024, 02:46 PM
The Ponchatoula, LA Strawberry Festival is not a bad little festival.
https://www.lastrawberryfestival.com

The time we attended, we came to the conclusion that most people did not check themselves out in a mirror before leaving their house...:wtf:

That's excellent, Chiefster.

On the mountain, after we replaced the propane HW heater that tried to kill us with a 20gal 110 electric one, and installed an on/off switch on the wall, whenever there was excess power coming down from the array we'd turn it on and it took about an hour to be ready for showers/laundry.

Sure wish we had that setup here. I might save up for one.
Not as many 'solar hours' here in east Texas, but there is enough.

Prepared One
03-01-2024, 07:00 PM
The Ponchatoula, LA Strawberry Festival is not a bad little festival.
https://www.lastrawberryfestival.com

The time we attended, we came to the conclusion that most people did not check themselves out in a mirror before leaving their house...:wtf:

I say that a lot when I go to Wally World. Did you even look at yourself in the mirror before you left home? Or take a shower?

Inor
03-01-2024, 08:40 PM

Be careful with how you wire up the solar to your battery! (I say that only because I had a recent BAD experience.)

That dopey little security camera project I started a couple months ago and told ya'll about... I was just using a little 7" solar panel to charge 2 18650 lithium cells. The battery holder I was using did have a charge controller circuit built into it so it supposedly would not try to charge a full battery. I just wired the microcontroller, camera and servo motors to the power output ports of the battery holder and the solar panel to the input port. I thought everything would be great. The problem was, the charge controller was using battery voltage to measure whether it should send power to the battery cells. Putting even a small load on the battery dropped the voltage enough that the charge controller did not shut off when the battery cells were full. It worked fine for a while, until it didn't... Then it overcharged the 18650 cells and they promptly caught on fire and burned the whole thing up!

Version 2.0, which I am currently working on, I am creating my own charge controller circuit that completely isolates the load from the battery. The solar panel power goes directly to the load if it is creating enough to power it. The only time the battery is even included in the circuit is when the solar is not generating enough to power the microcontroller, camera and servos. Thus the battery is only used as a true "backup" power supply.

I felt like an idiot for not thinking of it sooner, but at least I did not have the time (and money) invested in making a housing for the whole thing and getting it mounted to the house or shovel shack and burn the whole place down!

Chiefster23
03-02-2024, 07:17 AM
When the weather improves I intend to hook the heater directly up to 2 solar panels without any batteries at all for a test run.

Years ago I bought a Coleman camp oven for use with a Coleman stove for possibly baking bread. I’ve never tested it. Now I read where these stoves are about useless as it’s near impossible to get the temps up high enough to bake bread. Grrrrrr.

Box of frogs
03-02-2024, 10:47 AM
Added a 4 pulley block and tackle and 200’ of 3/8 rope to the shed.

Piratesailor
03-02-2024, 11:17 AM
Found that website and video. Looks like a good project

I’ve been thinking about what to do with 2 of my 4D 200ah batteries. I bought them for my boat but sold the boat and kept the new batteries. They ain’t small and they ain’t light either.

I’ll explore some projects where i can use them. Some more solar panels, a charger converter, and inverter.. and ………..

TJC44
03-02-2024, 12:30 PM
Found that website and video. Looks like a good project

I’ve been thinking about what to do with 2 of my 4D 200ah batteries. I bought them for my boat but sold the boat and kept the new batteries. They ain’t small and they ain’t light either.

I’ll explore some projects where i can use them. Some more solar panels, a charger converter, and inverter.. and ………..

A "Pirate""Sailor" without a ship? And pirates don't sell their boats, they are sunk in the last great adventure! :pirateflag:

Box of frogs
03-02-2024, 03:40 PM
Changed out the fiberglass double basin sink in the kitchen for a stainless single basin.
It’s more practical for canning and cooking than the one that was in there. Put a good high rise faucet on it too.
Mrs frogs is happy, I’m gonna try and leverage this chore into some thank you sex tonight.

BoF

BucketBack
03-02-2024, 04:26 PM
Added a 4 pulley block and tackle and 200’ of 3/8 rope to the shed.

My first digital am/fm stereo radio had 11:47 as the time on the box, same as your post time.

I was wearing red plaid cuffed bell bottoms at the time..................

BucketBack
03-02-2024, 04:29 PM
Changed out the fiberglass double basin sink in the kitchen for a stainless single basin.
It’s more practical for canning and cooking than the one that was in there. Put a good high rise faucet on it too.
Mrs frogs is happy, I’m gonna try and leverage this chore into some thank you sex tonight.

BoF

Yeh, I have a new high rise faucet that was going on the FGlass sink since someone said it was leaking. It doesn't leak now.

I'm looking for a stainless sink , as I Polished most of the gelcoat off already

StratBastard
03-02-2024, 09:37 PM
When the weather improves I intend to hook the heater directly up to 2 solar panels without any batteries at all for a test run.

Years ago I bought a Coleman camp oven for use with a Coleman stove for possibly baking bread. I’ve never tested it. Now I read where these stoves are about useless as it’s near impossible to get the temps up high enough to bake bread. Grrrrrr.

I have a Camp Chef brand propane portable oven. I had the same concern, so bought lots of smaller loaf and muffin pans to make bread that way instead. Smaller portions to bake. I should test mine too. It claims it will hit 400 degrees.

Broncosfan
03-03-2024, 02:51 AM
Stopped by and ordered 2 new holsters from Dwight55. After we picked up this new edition to the family from Cabelas 28319

He already had the wife's new holster made for her new Ruger Security 380. So 2 new CCW holsters and one new pistol and holster for the daughter to practice with. So an all around great Saturday.

Slippy
03-03-2024, 06:01 AM
Stopped by and ordered 2 new holsters from Dwight55. After we picked up this new edition to the family from Cabelas 28319

He already had the wife's new holster made for her new Ruger Security 380. So 2 new CCW holsters and one new pistol and holster for the daughter to practice with. So an all around great Saturday.

Excellent! Slippy Approved!

Box of frogs
03-03-2024, 06:20 AM
My first digital am/fm stereo radio had 11:47 as the time on the box, same as your post time.

I bet you looked mighty sharp in those bell bottoms.
I recall back in the day the ones that were so big at the cuff, you couldn’t see your shoes.
BoF

Box of frogs
03-03-2024, 06:20 AM

I recall back in the day the ones that were so big at the cuff, you couldn’t see your shoes.
BoF

Box of frogs
03-03-2024, 06:26 AM
I'm looking for a stainless sink , as I Polished most of the gelcoat off already

Most folks don’t know what gell coat is.
Where I work we manufacture the backer resin that the fiberglass is matted into. Mainly used in boats hulls, sinks, tubs, shower stalls, and pools. We have another plant that makes gell coat resin. Those are the fancy boys, they make all the resin for Yamaha outboard motors

Chiefster23
03-08-2024, 05:59 PM
Got a few days of nice weather here. Got outside and started the spring garden clean up early. Today I cleaned out the asparagus patch and added fertilizer. Got most of my trees trimmed and pruned. The next 2 or 3 days it’s back to rain and snow. Then warm again so next I will be cleaning out the main garden beds. The winter has been so mild I’m way ahead on my spring outside jobs. The next 2 days I ‘ll be inside so I’m going to can some pint jars of pork roast.

StratBastard
03-09-2024, 12:35 AM

hawgrider
03-09-2024, 07:39 AM

Wow that's a nice one all we had was the school hallway and our knees.... wtf!

BucketBack
03-16-2024, 07:33 AM
I trimmed burning effing bushes Friday and a Arb in front of the home while the mechanic was spending my $$$

Looking at General Dollar / WalMart OTC list so I can use up our balances before end of the quarter

I got the Mrs helping me with arf mods, watching Canuck and Angry Prepper, now I have to hide the food, save canned meat, buy stuff she wants to prep, and some dry canning of grains so the dam flying things die before storing.

Bought some Fakebook camper steps for $50, as the folding metal steps suck fish guts

BucketBack
03-16-2024, 07:36 AM
BoF

That's what the platform shoes were for. Dad said buy the bell bottoms and I'll show you what they're designed for swabbie

Yes we had boats

Sparkyprep
03-16-2024, 10:37 AM
Picked up some more emergency meds in Mexico. Got a good stock of antibiotics and pain killers.

hawgrider
03-16-2024, 11:16 AM
Picked up some more emergency meds in Mexico. Got a good stock of antibiotics and pain killers.

No issues bringing them back? Did you have to declare them.

Sparkyprep
03-16-2024, 01:13 PM
No issues bringing them back? Did you have to declare them.

Nope. Just walked right through customes. Didn't even stop