PDA

View Full Version : What was your prep of the day?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

hawgrider
03-16-2024, 03:30 PM
Nope. Just walked right through customes. Didn't even stop

Easy button sweet!

Slippy
03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
There ain't no border between the US and Old Mexico. :pirateflag:

Sasquatch
03-16-2024, 05:57 PM
Picked me up one of these. Gonna mainly use it for carving wood sculptures but it's nice to have anther backup for my other two chainsaws.

StratBastard
03-16-2024, 09:12 PM
That's what the platform shoes were for. Dad said buy the bell bottoms and I'll show you what they're designed for swabbie

Yes we had boats

I had some platforms back in high school. Went over to a girl's house I was kinda dating and her dad called them "spook jumpers".

StratBastard
03-18-2024, 03:35 AM
10 Perennial Vegetables and Herbs That’ll Feed You For Years

https://halk.tv.tr/10-perennial-vegetables-and-herbs-thatll-feed-you-for-years/?fbclid=IwAR2IuOMqnV-Ww7-431solGOHL88_uWIKoCvW_CupwoUi_3jEv0DsVkx093M

Piratesailor
03-25-2024, 04:43 PM
Not sure it’s prepping or another whim of my wife. She says it for gardening.

Piratesailor
03-25-2024, 04:48 PM
And instead of a large in-ground garden she bought these containers.

Now we just need to put them together.

https://vegogarden.com/

Chiefster23
03-25-2024, 07:36 PM
Yep! It’s getting to be garden time again. I started getting my seed starting stuff together. And today I got a trailer load of mushroom mulch and started topping up all the raised beds and the asparagus patch. Cauliflower seeds will be getting started first in a day or two.

Inor
03-25-2024, 07:47 PM
Not sure it’s prepping or another whim of my wife. She says it for gardening.

Please tell us more about your new greenhouse! How big is it? Is it homemade or did it come as a kit? Where did you get it? How much of a pain was it to assemble? Does it have vents that you can open on warm days to keep it from getting too hot? Is it sturdy enough to handle steady 20-30 MPH winds for a couple days? What did you do for a floor inside it? Is the glass/poly insulated? More info is better because that one looks like a damn nice setup!

Chiefster23
03-30-2024, 09:21 AM
I started 6 cauliflower seeds this week and all six germinated. Next week I will start broccoli seeds. I bought the seeds at Agway for $2.99 per package. When opened, that envelope only contained a dozen seeds! Talk about a rip off! Jesus! This shit is getting ridiculous. That said, I will probably only grow a dozen plants total this year, but it’s the principle of the thing. I won’t be buying seeds at Agway again. I’m going to be trying multiple staggered plantings of broccoli and cauliflower this year.

I topped up my raised beds with fresh mushroom mulch. There is still room for a little bit more but basically there is enough in there already that I don’t actually have to get more.

Chiefster23
04-12-2024, 12:45 PM
This week I bought some additional 2 x 4s and plywood for stock. Also finished topping off all my fuel stores. The furnace oil tank is already full for next winter. I have all my seeds and garden supplies in house. Been spending some time at the reloading bench too. Too many things are going way too wrong right now. Also installed a Ring security light and camera for obvious reasons. I need my second knee replacement and it was scheduled for fall. That got moved up to June. I don’t want to be immobilized around election time as I think things are going to get more violent the closer we get. The wheels are starting to come off the cart.

Oh! And by-the-way. One dozen wings and one order of fries cost me $33 today. WTF!:crazy:

Slippy
04-12-2024, 01:54 PM
This week I bought some additional 2 x 4s and plywood for stock. Also finished topping off all my fuel stores. The furnace oil tank is already full for next winter. I have all my seeds and garden supplies in house. Been spending some time at the reloading bench too. Too many things are going way too wrong right now. Also installed a Ring security light and camera for obvious reasons. I need my second knee replacement and it was scheduled for fall. That got moved up to June. I don’t want to be immobilized around election time as I think things are going to get more violent the closer we get. The wheels are starting to come off the cart.

Oh! And by-the-way. One dozen wings and one order of fries cost me $33 today. WTF!:crazy:

$33 for 12 wings and fries! :beathead:

Government causes inflation. Period. End of Story. Cannot argue.

MoreAmmoOK
04-14-2024, 09:13 PM
Bought 30 more Enbloc clips for my Garand.

SOCOM42
04-14-2024, 11:09 PM
Bought 30 more Enbloc clips for my Garand.

What make are they? The fuckers are raping people with the current prices.

About 30 years ago I got a barrel of 5,000 from DRMO.

They were part of a lot I got for Bill Ricca.

Only got rid of a few to friends, plenty are loaded and stored.

They were made in Canada by Dominion Arsenal Quebec, marked DAQ.

There is a lot of chink crap ones floating around.

Me? today, I suffered in bed all day with a migraine head.

Need to finish an M1a HS week.

Going back to bed now.

MoreAmmoOK
04-15-2024, 09:58 AM
Ordered them from Champion's Choice, $1.50 each. Listing didn't say anything about origin and pic didn't show any markings. I think Champion's Choice is a pretty good business and hopefully doesn't sell crap.

MoreAmmoOK
04-17-2024, 04:56 PM
Got the clips today. Stamped AEC and the number 3. I just read that AEC clips can be a little tight causing the last two rounds not to load, I'll have to check them.
So far the company "Champions Choice" is okay by me, ordered on Sunday, got them Wednesday. Shipping was a little high but very prompt. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
Time to run em through my vibratory cleaner, load em up and try a couple.

Sparkyprep
04-17-2024, 06:24 PM
Getting ready for hurricane season. Test-ran the generator. Bought some more canned food and rotated stock. Filled 4 propane tanks.

BucketBack
04-17-2024, 06:58 PM
Found a new doctor as my current doc, who is prez of Pine Medical isn't taking any new appointments. Dam tick bit and they said drive 50 miles to GR, as the Urgent cares are closed due to staffing
Doc is 65.6 yo, and I got an appiontment with UM Metro on Friday

T-Man 1066
04-17-2024, 07:42 PM
Found a new doctor as my current doc, who is prez of Pine Medical isn't taking any new appointments. Dam tick bit and they said drive 50 miles to GR, as the Urgent cares are closed due to staffing
Doc is 65.6 yo, and I got an appiontment with UM Metro on Friday

Dr. McGillicuddy, Dr. Pepper, or Doc Holliday?

Broncosfan
04-17-2024, 08:46 PM
Wife decided over the weekend that she would like to turn the hall closet into a pantry. So that is my next rainy day project once I get the materials here. She has already started buying extra can goods to fill it up. Ordered a few things from Cabelas today since they had the members 10% off sale plus I had a few points built up. I still have some planting to finish up this year. I have some chestnut, hazelnut, witch hazel and a couple of persimmons left from last year I need to get planted.

Inor
04-17-2024, 09:09 PM

One thing I learned the hard way about storing #2 pine... Clamp several of them together and store them that way. It does not need to be fancy, just clamp 3-5 boards, flat side facing each other, with a clamp on each end. #2 pine is only dried to about 20% (so it is easy to nudge one way or the other when building something). When it dries out it gets a lot harder to bend. And flat sawn lumber ALWAYS moves when it dries. So if you clamp them first, they will at least dry pretty straight.

(When I built Mrs Inor's She Shack, I bought a whole pallet just to have some extra on hand. The outer boards on the pile bent all to shit as they dried but the inner boards, with the additional weight on them, dried straight.)

BucketBack
04-18-2024, 06:25 AM
Dr. McGillicuddy, Dr. Pepper, or Doc Holliday?

No Dr Pepper, just my primary doc for the last 20 years, he older than me and may have already retired or is sick. No info available other than no appointments available. I can't work out at the spa there that Silver Sneakers thru Priority Health Medicare provides either due to staffing. Oh priority Health is part of Pine Medical also

BucketBack
04-18-2024, 06:26 AM
Wife decided over the weekend that she would like to turn the hall closet into a pantry. So that is my next rainy day project once I get the materials here. She has already started buying extra can goods to fill it up. Ordered a few things from Cabelas today since they had the members 10% off sale plus I had a few points built up. I still have some planting to finish up this year. I have some chestnut, hazelnut, witch hazel and a couple of persimmons left from last year I need to get planted.

The Mrs runs a food pantry by County Jail. So ya, food is getting hidden and misplaced daily here. Organized great at the pantry, here at home not so much.....

BucketBack
04-18-2024, 03:12 PM
One thing I learned the hard way about storing #2 pine... Clamp several of them together and store them that way. It does not need to be fancy, just clamp 3-5 boards, flat side facing each other, with a clamp on each end. #2 pine is only dried to about 20% (so it is easy to nudge one way or the other when building something). When it dries out it gets a lot harder to bend. And flat sawn lumber ALWAYS moves when it dries. So if you clamp them first, they will at least dry pretty straight.

(When I built Mrs Inor's She Shack, I bought a whole pallet just to have some extra on hand. The outer boards on the pile bent all to shit as they dried but the inner boards, with the additional weight on them, dried straight.)

I had to read that a couple times, but yup that's I'd stack even when gluing dry Impreg boards or RenBoard

SOCOM42
04-23-2024, 08:03 PM
There has been talk in the past about the shelf life of propane.

So for your information, today, I put into service a 100 pound tank that was filled 23 years ago.

The fuel burned perfectly of course.

I have always said there is no shelf life on the stuff, it last forever stored.

hawgrider
04-23-2024, 08:30 PM
There has been talk in the past about the shelf life of propane.

So for your information, today, I put into service a 100 pound tank that was filled 23 years ago.

The fuel burned perfectly of course.

I have always said there is no shelf life on the stuff, it last forever stored.
23 years ago thats impressive!

StratBastard
04-24-2024, 12:52 AM

Mad Trapper
04-26-2024, 08:58 AM

I worked at a lumber mill a while, started out as a grunt stacking. #2 pine got stacked and stickered, then the full pack banded with 3-4 metal straps.

Hardwoods we kept would get the same treatment then covered on top and slow dried in the shade.

Mad Trapper
04-26-2024, 09:00 AM
I'm doing a run up on burn a tire for Greta day.

Sparkyprep
04-26-2024, 02:59 PM
Pickled 4 jars of eggs yesterday.

SOCOM42
04-26-2024, 05:05 PM
I dragged out my "tactical" 94 Winni from its rat hole and oiled it up.

It is going into my Grand Cherokee along with a couple of bandoliers of silvertip.

It is the cheapest long gun to put in there that I have that is suitable for here and cause.

Yeah I could take a #4 Enfield or a Mauser, but just too long overall.

There is a lot of that demented pro Hamas/Palestine shit going on around here.

Not out here in the woods where I live, but in the big city that I have to go to every month at least once.

Even though the weather is getting warmer, I am going to carry either my Smith 4566TSW or my Smith 1911.

Backup will be a Smith model 60 2" with two speed loaders in pockets.

There is a couple of hundred rounds each of 45, 9MM, 38spcl and

40S&W in the Jeep at all times along with associated spare mags.

Chiefster23
04-27-2024, 08:40 AM
Here’s a great prep. Last week I got one of the new Garmin bullet chronographs. This thing is great! Super easy. It appears to be very accurate. And idiot proof so even I can use it. It’s expensive at $600, but very handy for reloading. I have an old Caldwell with the overhead screens that I was using. But it’s such a PITA to use that it seldom went to the range anymore. This new Garmin goes and gets used every time I shoot. I took it to my last 22 benchrest shoot. I used to claim that every last lousy shot was caused by bad ammo. But now with the new chrono I can see that bullet speed is within spec and my bad shots are caused by ME and not the ammo. (I can still claim that bad shots are caused by the hot air currents caused from all the lies and BS the shooters are spewing!). Anyhow, I like the new toy.

Yesterday working up a new bullet load, another shooter had a beautiful Russian Moist Nugget. The stock was beautifully refinished. The gun was reblued. Scoped. Front sight and bayonet mount were removed. Nice gun, and accurate too. Nice gun!

Mad Trapper
04-27-2024, 08:55 AM
I'm doing a run up on burn a tire for Greta day.

The upcoming burn a tire for Greta Holiday Celebration @Mad Trapper s will be an order of magnitude bigger.

Mad Trapper
05-02-2024, 09:44 AM
The upcoming burn a tire for Greta Holiday Celebration @Mad Trapper s will be an order of magnitude bigger.

Yesterday was last day of "burn season" in the mASShole, my VT place/state does not have that nonsense......

The trees in the background are 70-80' tall, the big pine that snapped off ~30' up, was >4' DBH, two more big pines you can't see, and all of last years pile that never got torched.

It was a fun day, but no flaming rabbits made a quick exit like in the winter time.....I think some voles may have roasted. :flamer:

Chiefster23
05-04-2024, 06:25 AM
I have an asparagus patch that is well in excess of 20 years old. I get a ton of asparagus shoots every year but they all come on in a short period of time. I’ve tried canning and freezing the shoots but they turn mushy as hell. I recently discovered pickling recipes for asparagus. I tried it with just basic pickle spices as it turned out decent and remained crispy. Now I’m going to try a batch today using dill. I’m only making 2 pints per batch just in case the flavor turns out to be a disaster.

Michael_Js
05-04-2024, 05:50 PM
Mine come up in batches...I put them in water in the fridge and they will last for weeks...then I cook a big batch, and eat them as I want :) Pickling is a great idea! :)

stevekozak
05-05-2024, 11:20 AM
I dragged out my "tactical" 94 Winni from its rat hole and oiled it up.

It is going into my Grand Cherokee along with a couple of bandoliers of silvertip.

It is the cheapest long gun to put in there that I have that is suitable for here and cause.

Yeah I could take a #4 Enfield or a Mauser, but just too long overall.

There is a lot of that demented pro Hamas/Palestine shit going on around here.

Not out here in the woods where I live, but in the big city that I have to go to every month at least once.

Even though the weather is getting warmer, I am going to carry either my Smith 4566TSW or my Smith 1911.

Backup will be a Smith model 60 2" with two speed loaders in pockets.

There is a couple of hundred rounds each of 45, 9MM, 38spcl and

40S&W in the Jeep at all times along with associated spare mags.

Aim well!

BucketBack
05-05-2024, 02:32 PM
$67.97 @ KFarts in 1970

Broncosfan
05-05-2024, 06:32 PM
Finished turning the hallway closet into a pantry. Started to get it organized. Trying to only fill it when things are on sale. Ordered another whole beef. Expected to not get it until fall. Looks like they will have it ready sometime in June. Working on getting the freezer cleaned out. All of the ground beef left from the last beef will be canned.

SOCOM42
05-05-2024, 08:50 PM
Made a wrench today to remove/install the POL valve on propane tanks.

Changing out the POL valves on all my 100 pounders as they become empty.

Installing ACME/POL combo valves in their place.

The old ones are just like the ones on 20# tanks but with a 11-1/2 " fill tube added.

This new type are what the propane companies use to fill 100#-200# tanks.

They don't have to disconnect the tank to fill it.

It has become difficult for me to get them filled without a truck anymore.

This is one of my major projects evolving for this month,

only empty tanks (3) are getting changed over right now.

Next on the list for this coming Friday is a caliper, pads and rotor on one jeep.

After all that, time to work on tractor for a bit.

Ordering 5/16" wire rope for my come-along, 100 feet of it, have all the other hardware, mil surp.

Need it to pull some big trees off my shop roof, came down in a storm, no damage though.

Well, no roof damage, but they destroyed my multi band HF vertical that was sitting dead center of the roof.

That antenna was about $300.00 25 years ago.

StratBastard
05-05-2024, 09:56 PM
Just bought a single can of coffee today to replace one I rotated out and used. Once you get your stock to where it needs to be, that's all you do... replace and rotate. If I run out of coffee during the Apocalypse, people are going to get hurt LOL. I like minimum 6 months of the three major food groups: coffee, tobacco, and bourbon. I tell myself I could cut back and make it all last a year, we'll see if that's bullshit soon enough.

BucketBack
05-06-2024, 08:50 AM
I bought a rolling island cart for the kitchen to replace my reloading bench that was repurposed by her.

I just committed to buy a new deep stainless sink for $65 a couple minutes ago, as the FGlass one was cracked. ( She wanted a new sink)

New blades for the 1996 MTD 14/42 riding mower will be dropped off by the mailman this afternoon

I'm dogsitting, doing dishes, laundry, cleaning up since She went to the docs

I need to prep the home for crutches as she is having a knee scope next Monday

BucketBack
05-06-2024, 08:50 AM
I bought a rolling island cart for the kitchen to replace my reloading bench that was repurposed by her.

I just committed to buy a new deep stainless sink for $65 a couple minutes ago, as the FGlass one was cracked. ( She wanted a new sink)

New blades for the 1996 MTD 14/42 riding mower will be dropped off by the mailman this afternoon

I'm dogsitting, doing dishes, laundry, cleaning up since She went to the docs

I need to prep the home for crutches as she is having a knee scope next Monday

Jester-ND
05-06-2024, 02:14 PM
400 rounds of 308 arrived at the door while I was at work!

BucketBack
05-06-2024, 02:30 PM
Carts in the home, table is under the carport, which I used to assemble the mower blades on.

$65

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/436627170_445732444501300_1560994001435029819_n.jp g?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=247b10&_nc_ohc=KSilANgTCT8Q7kNvgG6Lx8F&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfCMe7S1yfvuoEDl_D09BSKr3Q6-wCDOaajdtqe5kPuVrg&oe=663E9EF7
The BBQ's will be moving there shortly along with the patio chairs and table

White Shadow
05-06-2024, 07:19 PM
Signed contracts over the weekend for the big prep - leaving IL and the crowded blue urban area.

Inor
05-06-2024, 07:35 PM
Signed contracts over the weekend for the big prep - leaving IL and the crowded blue urban area.

That's a BIG one! Congratulations!

T-Man 1066
05-06-2024, 07:45 PM

Yay you!

i'll hold down the fort here...

Jester-ND
05-07-2024, 09:35 PM

4th rule of prep club... don't live in IL!

StratBastard
05-07-2024, 10:20 PM
5Th rule: don't live in Oregon.

wait...

T-Man 1066
05-08-2024, 07:09 AM

5Th rule: don't live in Oregon.

wait...

Haha, yea no I thought anyone living in Hellinois had to be a complete dumbass!

Yea, hold on a minute here.... :footinmouth:

White Shadow
05-08-2024, 09:41 AM
I don't know how much longer it will be before people aren't allowed to leave Illinois without a government permit - they will eventually need to make being a serf to the state mandatory.

Sparkyprep
05-08-2024, 03:58 PM
Pretty boring day for me. Got off work, fed cows, fed chickens, watered the garden. This drought we are in has GOT to stop. We need rain..... BAD.

SOCOM42
05-08-2024, 04:52 PM
Pretty boring day for me. Got off work, fed cows, fed chickens, watered the garden. This drought we are in has GOT to stop. We need rain..... BAD.

Just had about two inches of the stuff come down in about two hours, huge T cell came through.

My parking lot is flooded, dogs went for a swim in it.

Going back to bed, a day off from working, start all over again tomorrow, back on engine lathe..

Sparkyprep
05-09-2024, 03:47 PM
Just had about two inches of the stuff come down in about two hours, huge T cell came through.

My parking lot is flooded, dogs went for a swim in it.

Going back to bed, a day off from working, start all over again tomorrow, back on engine lathe..
I would pay $1000 for that here right now.

BucketBack
05-10-2024, 12:42 PM
https://baboni.net/uploads/allimg/20220127/1-22012G60KM21.jpg

https://baboni.net/products/194.html

She bought a new medium with white cover panel off Fakebook for $45 a few minutes ago

Oh a tractor solenoid and a push mower also

Broncosfan
05-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Browned ground beef with onions and then pressure canned it with tomato juice. Only done 18 pints as that is all the pressure canner holds. Vacuum sealed what was left and put it in the freezer. Just wanted to see how it went before I do more. The next beef goes in for processing June 17. So I need to get busy because I'm not exactly sure how much is left in the freezer.

Chiefster23
05-13-2024, 07:26 PM
If you ignor all the BS from the MSM, any fool can see that the economy is in poor shape and I don’t see any reason for optimism on the horizon. Today I moved about 50% of my retirement funds out of the markets and into bank CDs. I asked my money guy what he thought of the idea. He agreed that it’s a good idea and told me many of his clients are doing similar moves. Surprised the hell out of me because he’s usually advising staying “all in” the markets all the time. For him to advise pulling significant amounts of money out of the markets means even the professional money guys are running scared. Trick is making sure you are buying CDs from big banks in good financial condition.

Inor
05-13-2024, 11:03 PM
If you ignor all the BS from the MSM, any fool can see that the economy is in poor shape and I don’t see any reason for optimism on the horizon. Today I moved about 50% of my retirement funds out of the markets and into bank CDs. I asked my money guy what he thought of the idea. He agreed that it’s a good idea and told me many of his clients are doing similar moves. Surprised the hell out of me because he’s usually advising staying “all in” the markets all the time. For him to advise pulling significant amounts of money out of the markets means even the professional money guys are running scared. Trick is making sure you are buying CDs from big banks in good financial condition.

Great minds...

I did EXACTLY the same thing this morning. I moved about 80% of everything into 30-day bonds. I told them to buy half the bonds today and the other half in 2 weeks. That way, if things blow up dramatically (like they did in Sept-Oct 2008), I can have cash ready to deploy once the explosion happens. If the Fed cuts rates a couple times before the election to keep the status quo (which I expect), I won't lose much upside.

The Fed is caught between a rock and a hard spot right now. If thy cut (which they really want to do), inflation will shoot up like a rocket. If they hold steady, their boy biden will lose the election and we will get stuck in a no growth spiral. They SHOULD raise rates about another 5% at the same time the government deregulates business, but that will NEVER happen due to it causing a bad recession for a year or two and the government losing control.

StratBastard
05-14-2024, 12:21 AM
Great minds...

I did EXACTLY the same thing this morning. I moved about 80% of everything into 30-day bonds. I told them to buy half the bonds today and the other half in 2 weeks. That way, if things blow up dramatically (like they did in Sept-Oct 2008), I can have cash ready to deploy once the explosion happens. If the Fed cuts rates a couple times before the election to keep the status quo (which I expect), I won't lose much upside.

The Fed is caught between a rock and a hard spot right now. If thy cut (which they really want to do), inflation will shoot up like a rocket. If they hold steady, their boy biden will lose the election and we will get stuck in a no growth spiral. They SHOULD raise rates about another 5% at the same time the government deregulates business, but that will NEVER happen due to it causing a bad recession for a year or two and the government losing control.

I like your style.

Rates should be YES at least 5% higher... but there's that pesky national debt payment. Yet another reason they can't raise it.

Back in slightly less Keynesian times, there were recessions in which rates were allowed to expand and contract in a more economically organic manner. My mother in law had a sweet CD in the 80's which garnered 16%.

Chiefster23
05-14-2024, 04:54 AM
I was going to ladder the bonds from 3 months to a year. The $ guy suggested instead I consider 1 to 2 years. He is thinking the rates will go down, so lock in high now. It’s all driven by politics rather than sound fiscal policy. I agree that rates now should be much higher, but that national debt problem is going to keep them from floating up. So I will be getting between 5 and 5.4% so we’ll go with that and see what happens.

We are in mid 70s here, so I’m not so interested in jumping in and out of the markets to build wealth. I’m mostly interested in preserving what we have and just maintaining enough to live out our lives on. We are debt free and the house has already been fully upgraded. All appliances are basically new. Car is only 3 years old. Everything is newer or in great shape so I’m not much worried about hyper inflation. Basically all we need is enough to eat and pay property taxes.

Trying to time or game the money markets just gives me a headache. Everything now is driven by politics or manipulated by big money. Logic is gone. The little guy doesn’t stand a chance.

Slippy
05-14-2024, 06:36 AM
I was going to ladder the bonds from 3 months to a year. The $ guy suggested instead I consider 1 to 2 years. He is thinking the rates will go down, so lock in high now. It’s all driven by politics rather than sound fiscal policy. I agree that rates now should be much higher, but that national debt problem is going to keep them from floating up. So I will be getting between 5 and 5.4% so we’ll go with that and see what happens.

We are in mid 70s here, so I’m not so interested in jumping in and out of the markets to build wealth. I’m mostly interested in preserving what we have and just maintaining enough to live out our lives on. We are debt free and the house has already been fully upgraded. All appliances are basically new. Car is only 3 years old. Everything is newer or in great shape so I’m not much worried about hyper inflation. Basically all we need is enough to eat and pay property taxes.

Trying to time or game the money markets just gives me a headache. Everything now is driven by politics or manipulated by big money. Logic is gone. The little guy doesn’t stand a chance.

Chief,

I'm no financial genius but I cannot argue with your decisions given the current shit-storm of domestic, global and political problems... plus your personal situation makes it even that much more solid.

My Mom is quite a bit older than you and I've been thinking about doing something like this for her to preserve what she has.

Thank you very much for your analysis, I think it is sound.

Slip

Inor
05-14-2024, 08:12 AM

I agree with your strategy 110%!

The only reason I did what I did with 30 day bonds is because I just enjoy "playing" in the markets. It is a fun exercise for math nerds like me. It's all just a game to me. Our retirement is all in the form of actual real hard assets: land, tractor, animals, etc.

Prepared One
05-14-2024, 09:03 AM

I am not the sharpest pencil in drawer (In fact, I am the broken one with no point and the eraser half chewed off) but your reasoning is solid in my judgement Chiefster. MG and I are pretty much the same as you. We own everything outright, carry no debt, and more of our lives behind us rather then in front. I am looking to protect our hard assets and our cash position so we can live the rest of our lives without worrying about money or debt. We have enough to live comfortably and take care of any needs that may arise. I have no confidence in the markets or the fed for that matter, so I am not looking to take any major risks in the stock market at this point. When this economic house of cards comes down a lot of people are going to be hurt bad.

StratBastard
05-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Federal Reserve Chair Admits His Confidence Is Rattled as Wholesale Inflation Unexpectedly Surges

Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said Tuesday that his confidence has weakened that inflation is under control.

His comments made at a bankers' conference in Amsterdam came the same day that the Labor Department reported that wholesale prices jumped 0.5 percent in April, the largest increase since April 2023.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/federal-reserve-chair-admits-his-confidence-is-rattled-as-wholesale-inflation-unexpectedly-surges/ar-BB1mozH5?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=3cfa4f837ec4444daaeec5c52f9121e2&ei=43

Inor
05-17-2024, 08:38 PM
I decided to try an experiment today that I have been meaning to try for a while. - Making Club Soda chemically.

Yes, I could buy a CO2 tank or a brick of dry ice or a Soda Stream machine or ferment yeast like I do with homemade beer... But what fun is that?

Mrs Inor has about 20 pounds of citric acid laying around for her canning. So I tried dissolving 2 tablespoons of citric acid in a half gallon of water in a canning jar. Then I added 2 tablespoons of baking soda and quickly put the lid on and put it into the fridge to cool down so the water will absorb as much CO2 as possible.

It foamed up pretty good (and made a mess) when I first put in the baking soda, but I got the top on fast enough to at least save some of the CO2. Was it enough? I have no idea... This is just a first attempt, so I'll let it cool down some then see how carbonated it is and make a determination if I need more or less of the baking soda and citric acid.

Once I get this worked out, my next steps are going to be to start experimenting making various flavor syrups to make Inor's Famous Sodey-Pop! So far, I found recipes for 7-Up, Orange Crush and the 1880 recipe for Coke.

If nothing else, it will be pretty cool to be able to make homemade sodey-pop and get our grandsons on an extreme sugar jag the next time they are here...

Mad Trapper
05-17-2024, 08:46 PM
I decided to try an experiment today that I have been meaning to try for a while. - Making Club Soda chemically.

Yes, I could buy a CO2 tank or a brick of dry ice or a Soda Stream machine or ferment yeast like I do with homemade beer... But what fun is that?

Mrs Inor has about 20 pounds of citric acid laying around for her canning. So I tried dissolving 2 tablespoons of citric acid in a half gallon of water in a canning jar. Then I added 2 tablespoons of baking soda and quickly put the lid on and put it into the fridge to cool down so the water will absorb as much CO2 as possible.

It foamed up pretty good (and made a mess) when I first put in the baking soda, but I got the top on fast enough to at least save some of the CO2. Was it enough? I have no idea... This is just a first attempt, so I'll let it cool down some then see how carbonated it is and make a determination if I need more or less of the baking soda and citric acid.

Once I get this worked out, my next steps are going to be to start experimenting making various flavor syrups to make Inor's Famous Sodey-Pop! So far, I found recipes for 7-Up, Orange Crush and the 1880 recipe for Coke.

If nothing else, it will be pretty cool to be able to make homemade sodey-pop and get our grandsons on an extreme sugar jag the next time they are here...

I just add some more sugar to my hard cider when I bottle it. They yeast does the rest, unless I got them too drunk to ferment more........

Inor
05-17-2024, 08:49 PM
I just add some more sugar to my hard cider when I bottle it. They yeast does the rest, unless I got them too drunk to ferment more........

That's basically the way I do beer. But that takes time to do the second fermentation; this will be "instant gratification" if I can get the formula right... :biglaugh:

Update: The carbonation process worked great, but it left an absolutely HORRIBLE flavor! I have a few ideas for a two step process that should give even better carbonation without the taste. I'll let you know more as I learn more.

T-Man 1066
05-18-2024, 06:49 AM
You guys are like a bunch of mad scientists!!! Haha, awesome!

I did an experiment once. I mixed beer with my mouth. It tasted really good.

I says, "Wonder if that happens every time, or is this just a fluke? Better try again and see."

And again, and again...

Well as of last night the results have been consistent. But I will not rest until I know every beer that meets my lips tastes real good. I will continue the experiment after lunch. :drinkmore:

Mad Trapper
05-18-2024, 07:28 AM
That's basically the way I do beer. But that takes time to do the second fermentation; this will be "instant gratification" if I can get the formula right... :biglaugh:

Update: The carbonation process worked great, but it left an absolutely HORRIBLE flavor! I have a few ideas for a two step process that should give even better carbonation without the taste. I'll let you know more as I learn more.

I used to do chemistry.....and write up experimentals for teaching labs.

Generate the CO2 in a separate container and connect it to a second vessel with pure water in an ice bath. Connections/seals must be air tight. The CO2 will dissolve in the 2nd container.

The best way would be to make a bubbler connection that bubbles the gas directly into to pure water. Be sure to use thick walled glass and tubing, or a kaboom! could result (wear goggles). An easy way to monitor pressure is to add a t-connector with a balloon. If the balloon is inflated you have an over pressure, add a valve to vent things and avoid explosions!

In the chemistry lab we had all sorts of neat glassware to do that sort of stuff.

The generating vessel (heavy wall filter flask) with a concentrated carbonate solution, or solid sodium carbonate (marble chips CaCO3 will work), is equipped with a magnetic stir bar, and connected to a pressure equalizing addition funnel containing an acid solution (we'd use hydrochloric/muriatic acid). The acid solution is added dropwise to generate the CO2 gas. Gas evolution regulated by rate of acid addition.

This in turn connected to the 2nd filter flask/vessel using thick wall tubing and stoppers. They make special bubblers called gas dispersion tubes which are a piece of glass tubing with a fine glass frit in the end, to introduce the gas to the 2nd water solution.

We would set it all up with a balloon to monitor pressure/gas evolution, and add a 3-way t-valve that can route the gas to the 2nd flask , or as a vent (for safety) to atmosphere. With the balloon you don't waste the generated CO2 gas to atmosphere, and have a modest over pressure to carbonate the water.

I don't have any pictures handy.

Edit: Adding a flask between the gas generating flask and the water receiving flask , will act as a trap in case you add acid too quickly and the generating flask bubbles over. Or if a vacuum forms at the end of gas evolution and it tries to suck the carbonated water back into the generating flask. When pressure goes down as indicated by balloon add more acid , pull the gas dispersion tube out of the carbonated water, and/or vent the system

Mad Trapper
05-18-2024, 07:38 AM

I says, "Wonder if that happens every time, or is this just a fluke? Better try again and see."

And again, and again...

Well as of last night the results have been consistent. But I will not rest until I know every beer that meets my lips tastes real good. I will continue the experiment after lunch. :drinkmore:

I remember putting tequila in my mouth and washing it down with beer. That worked good.

One time there was a problem when I had the beer/tequila mixture 1/2 way down I sneezed. Tequila cleans out the sinuses real well...... Avoid sneezing when drinking tequila.

Inor
05-19-2024, 11:04 PM
While I finish working out the details in my mind of how I am going to assemble some mason jars and stainless steel break line into a capture setup for C02, I decided to start experimenting on Phase II of Inor's Soda Fountain at the End of the World. - The flavor syrup. (Special thanks to Mad Trapper for giving me the perfect idea on how to get the CO2 capture as efficient and repeatable as possible!)

The first flavor syrups, I decided to start with Orange and Lemon-Lime. Those both seem to be the simplest and require the fewest ingredients. Plus, neither one requires anything that is not available at any grocery store (or farm stand around here). Today, I decided to start with a small batch of orange syrup. All it needs is:

1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon citric acid
2 good sized oranges

I started off using a kitchen grater thing Mrs Inor has that looks like a bastard file to file off the skin on both oranges down to, but NOT including the white pulp on the oranges. I just made a pile of the filings on a cutting board.

Then, I mixed the water, sugar and citric acid in a small sauce pan on the stove. I added the juice squeezed from both oranges plus the filings from the skins into the pan.

I brought it to a boil, then turned the heat way down and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, mixing it every couple minutes. The goal was to make sure everything was good and dissolved and evaporate about 1/3 of the liquid.

After it simmered for about 15-20 minutes, I strained it into a mason jar and put it in the fridge to cool.

Once it was cool, I initially mixed it about 1 part syrup to 4 parts seltzer water. That was good, but was a little too sweet for my taste. I found a better ratio was about 1:6 or 1:8. That was just about PERFECT!

It was the absolute perfect orange soda! It had no chemical aftertaste and was a strong enough flavor that it was good but not overpowering. It would also work well if we have anybody fancy come by, we could mix it with some corn likker and have one of those fancy French likker drinks! Plus, since it is only made with 100% natural stuff, it is healthful too.

I'm calling this one a resounding success!

StratBastard
05-20-2024, 03:15 AM
I'm calling this one a resounding success!

Well, mine's not quite as cool as yours LOL. Here's my end of the world cocktail mixer:

Slippy
05-20-2024, 05:19 AM

And again, and again...

Crazy! I did that same experiment for years!

I once found a Cuban beer that did not mix well with my mouth so I poured it over a Brisket and let it sit overnight. The next day I added heat and smoke for 12 hours or so and cut off a chunk and mixed it with my mouth! Fabulous!

SCIENCE!

Dwight55
05-20-2024, 06:09 AM
Got my cup of coffee . . . mosied out to the front porch to see if the ruskies . . . hamas . . . or the ukrains had invaded.

They hadn't . . . but I got a canada goose fly over . . .

Got me a home made hillbilly . . . cane bottomed . . . oak . . . rocker

May God bless,
Dwight

BucketBack
05-20-2024, 06:28 AM
Bought a new Drive Mobility Scooter https://i5.walmartimages.com/seo/Drive-Medical-Rollator-Rolling-Walker-with-6-Wheels-Fold-Up-Removable-Back-Support-and-Padded-Seat-Blue_7f6d2c1f-fe38-4795-89c3-9470cc6c9164.d6c8e8f130e58b3985c57af08013fdff.jpeg ?odnHeight=2000&odnWidth=2000&odnBg=FFFFFF $68 @ WalMart , Drive Folding walker https://i.webareacontrol.com/png/fullimage/470-X-470/1/n/10120172345deluxe-folding-walker-two-button-P.webp $73.94, and a toilet seat riser

for $75 off Fakebook, somebody passed before they got home to use them I guess

StratBastard
05-20-2024, 09:01 PM
I think I'm ready to just skip those steps and go straight to a gurney...

TJC44
05-22-2024, 08:58 PM
I think I'm ready to just skip those steps and go straight to a gurney...

ANYBODY could do that!
Let's get creative & add a 15HP motor, and joystick control for steering.

Nah, you don't need brakes. :bounce:

Inor
05-22-2024, 09:02 PM
ANYBODY could do that!
Let's get creative & add a 15HP motor, and joystick control for steering.

Nah, you don't need brakes. :bounce:

Now we're talkin' my language!!!

Inor
05-22-2024, 11:10 PM
This evening I decided to try making some lemon-lime soda pop syrup. It is mostly the same as the formula for the orange soda. I just substituted 1 lemon and 1 lime for the 2 oranges in the orange soda. I also added about 50% more of the citric acid.

It's pretty dang good! I was going for a flavor similar to 7-Up. But this does not really taste like 7-Up. It is more like a high quality lemonade, but carbonated. I think it will be a favorite on the afternoons when I am hot from working in the sun. It does really quench the thirst.

It also requires less syrup per glass than the orange. When I mixed it with the carbonated water at the same ratio as the orange, the flavor was too strong. I backed off the syrup about 50% and it was about perfect.

I still have enough lemons, limes and oranges for one more batch of each, then I am going to try ginger ale. If I can get those mostly okay, only then will I try the 1885 Coke recipe. (That one is going to be complicated - and expensive as it has many different "oils" that I am going to have to order online.)

Michael_Js
05-23-2024, 10:22 AM
This evening I decided to try making some lemon-lime soda pop syrup. It is mostly the same as the formula for the orange soda. I just substituted 1 lemon and 1 lime for the 2 oranges in the orange soda. I also added about 50% more of the citric acid.

It's pretty dang good! I was going for a flavor similar to 7-Up. But this does not really taste like 7-Up. It is more like a high quality lemonade, but carbonated. I think it will be a favorite on the afternoons when I am hot from working in the sun. It does really quench the thirst.

It also requires less syrup per glass than the orange. When I mixed it with the carbonated water at the same ratio as the orange, the flavor was too strong. I backed off the syrup about 50% and it was about perfect.

I still have enough lemons, limes and oranges for one more batch of each, then I am going to try ginger ale. If I can get those mostly okay, only then will I try the 1885 Coke recipe. (That one is going to be complicated - and expensive as it has many different "oils" that I am going to have to order online.)

Do you also have the coke for the Coke recipe? :)

Sounds delicious!! :)

Piratesailor
05-29-2024, 02:59 PM
Well..this could be under “solar” but for me it’s a prep. I’ve been looking at these fancy solar generators lately and choking on the costs (although they have come down a bit). I realized that I have 2 200a 4D batteries sitting in my garage. They were slated for the boat but I sold the boat. So my thinking is I have the base component for a “solar generator”, just not very portable at 150lb each.

My plan is simple. We have a large propane tank and a genset that will run most of the house/property. I don’t want to run it at night when sleeping but still want power to some appliances like the freezers and fridge and lights etc. I don’t want the genset running at night for many reasons most of which you’d get and understand.

So using scrap lumber from an old fence I put together a shelf for the batteries. I already had a solar panel from the boat too but ordered two more 200w panels and cabling. I also ordered a 40amp MPPT controller, battery monitor and a 2000/4000w pure sine inverter. The batteries are AGM and I’ll replace with Lifepo4 when they wear out.

Everting is arriving tomorrow and I’ll set it up by the end of next week. If it all goes well, and I suspect it will, I’ll have our night time solution and should the SHTF big time and I run out of propane, I’ll have a solution that provides some power.

And thanks to MG for the advice and guidance!

MountainGirl
05-31-2024, 06:46 AM
^^ You're welcome, glad to help. :)

After this last round of storms, we've decided to add backup to our backups LOL
Solar generator, tied into the house; recharged via gen or panels, depending on the situation.
Fingers crossed we still have time to get the components here. If not? Oh well.
I'm well versed in the bare-bones ways, and we got water, wood, food, ammo.
Anything more is just comfort; very nice to have but... there ya go.

Prepared One
05-31-2024, 09:48 AM
Yep, like MG said, with all the storms we decided to add a larger solar generator to the mix. We have two Gens that will run the whole house but with these storms it's hard to know exactly how long we would be out of power each time. Our longest has been 7 hours so far. No biggie but I wasn't willing to pull the gen out and hook up to the outside bypass switch. Not a hard thing but by the time I pull the cord out, got the propane hooked up, and the gen going, don't you know the lights would come back on. So, I wanted something easier and quieter for those situations, plus it adds to the long term situation as well.

Everything will be located in our mud room right next to the electric panel, except the solar panels of course. Those we store in one of the outbuildings till needed. We can recharge the unit via wall outlet when the power comes back on so for short term outages it's perfect. If we have to go longer we hook up the solar panels. It has pass through capability as well so we can operate while it's charging.

We have settled on the Oupes solar Gen with added battery capacity. (Meg 2, 3, or 5, working the numbers now.) It's the best bang for the buck and has good reviews, plus we already have a smaller Oupes unit and it has worked like a champ.

We have had storms rolling through since Tues. and one is rolling through now, supposed to like this all day. Haven't lost power yet but there are outages all around us. As soon as we get the numbers down we are going to move on this quickly. I feel a hurricane in my bones this summer.

BucketBack
05-31-2024, 12:47 PM
Just got my ferrellgas contract in the email

Piratesailor
05-31-2024, 03:01 PM
Just topped off my propane tank this morning.

Piratesailor
05-31-2024, 03:03 PM
Yep, like MG said, with all the storms we decided to add a larger solar generator to the mix. We have two Gens that will run the whole house but with these storms it's hard to know exactly how long we would be out of power each time. Our longest has been 7 hours so far. No biggie but I wasn't willing to pull the gen out and hook up to the outside bypass switch. Not a hard thing but by the time I pull the cord out, got the propane hooked up, and the gen going, don't you know the lights would come back on. So, I wanted something easier and quieter for those situations, plus it adds to the long term situation as well.

Everything will be located in our mud room right next to the electric panel, except the solar panels of course. Those we store in one of the outbuildings till needed. We can recharge the unit via wall outlet when the power comes back on so for short term outages it's perfect. If we have to go longer we hook up the solar panels. It has pass through capability as well so we can operate while it's charging.

We have settled on the Oupes solar Gen with added battery capacity. (Meg 2, 3, or 5, working the numbers now.) It's the best bang for the buck and has good reviews, plus we already have a smaller Oupes unit and it has worked like a champ.

We have had storms rolling through since Tues. and one is rolling through now, supposed to like this all day. Haven't lost power yet but there are outages all around us. As soon as we get the numbers down we are going to move on this quickly. I feel a hurricane in my bones this summer.

I’ve been telling my siblings about the Oupes systems and suggesting they get moving on something similar.

That storm this morning dumped 3.5” of rain at our place. We’re lucky in that we haven’t lost power with any of the storms that have rolled through over the past 2 months.

Jester-ND
05-31-2024, 03:20 PM
$1100+ at walmart........ again, some likely qualifies as preps...

Box of frogs
05-31-2024, 04:42 PM
$1100+ at walmart........ again, some likely qualifies as preps...

Damn Jester. You gittin’ boy.

Prepared One
05-31-2024, 07:10 PM
I’ve been telling my siblings about the Oupes systems and suggesting they get moving on something similar.

That storm this morning dumped 3.5” of rain at our place. We’re lucky in that we haven’t lost power with any of the storms that have rolled through over the past 2 months.

We have had 38" YTD so far. Our normal is 18". It's just been one storm after another here and I am guessing the Houston area to be about the same.

Sparkyprep
06-01-2024, 11:15 AM
We are super-dry down here. But, it has rained the last three evenings in a row, so maybe it is starting to break.

SOCOM42
06-02-2024, 02:17 PM
We have had 38" YTD so far. Our normal is 18". It's just been one storm after another here and I am guessing the Houston area to be about the same.

My kid has dug a trench 20 feet long and about 2 feet deep for an new underground power cable.

Day before last, a good size thunderstorm came through, it filled the trench with about 2 inches above it.

Going out now to put the cable in, had to wait for it (trench)to drain out.

Most of the dirt from it has been turned into mud, will wait a few days before filling it in.

She is doing all the shovel work, not me, can't do it, I am just doing the wiring and the PVC conduit.

We are over double the average for rainfall this year, rained 27 days in April and about half of that plus for May.

I need the intermittent swamp to dry out so I can get trees off of my shop roof.

At least there was shit for snow for the winter, hope even less for next winter.

Jester-ND
06-02-2024, 10:42 PM
ordered 2-25lb bags of salt

Mad Trapper
06-03-2024, 06:25 AM
Helped cousin bale hay, 2 1/2 wagons full, ~500 square bales.

Slippy
06-03-2024, 06:31 AM

That's WORK!

I drove through Atlanta GA towing my camper and my forearms and knuckles got a workout just gripping the damn steering wheel!

Between the natives and their lack of driving skills and the big-rigs hauling ass, I prefer to avoid Atlanta at all costs...especially towing a trailer.

BucketBack
06-03-2024, 07:21 AM
The Mrs finds something on Fakebook or from her friends every day. My barn is full of "Treasure's"

Yesterday it was a 1.5 yo PUG for $300, owner is moving and has papers, and " Krazey Kasey" our AKC PUG needs a boyfriend.

Waiting for the drop off. Good thing I still have 3 Bravecto's coming on subscription.

Broncosfan
06-03-2024, 07:25 AM
Took advantage of a Bass Pro sale and got two boxes of supplies and they arrived Saturday. Surprised I was one box short. Chatted with customer service. No problem they ordered a replacement box. It was a bit odd they were shipped in the original factory boxes. One had 3 boxes removed and packing paper stuffed in the keep the others from shifting. The other box was missing one box and it didn't have any shipping paper in the empty space.
We also put in more of the garden. Latest I've got it in. I messed my back up doing it so I don't know how long it will take to get it finished.

T-Man 1066
06-03-2024, 08:09 AM

Hopefully it had a bale thrower... but if you got 500 bales in 2-1/2 wagons, probably not. About 130 or 140 per cage wagon IIRC.

hawgrider
06-03-2024, 08:16 AM
That's WORK!

I drove through Atlanta GA towing my camper and my forearms and knuckles got a workout just gripping the damn steering wheel!

Between the natives and their lack of driving skills and the big-rigs hauling ass, I prefer to avoid Atlanta at all costs...especially towing a trailer.

Went thru Atlanta one time heading to Florida at rush hour...

Never never never again I'll drive 200 miles around it before I take I-75 thru Atlanta ever again!

Mad Trapper
06-03-2024, 09:35 AM
Hopefully it had a bale thrower... but if you got 500 bales in 2-1/2 wagons, probably not. About 130 or 140 per cage wagon IIRC.

No kicker. Had 2 30 year olds, and me stacking. I'm not 30 anymore........ We didn't stack a row that stuck above the wagon as then they won't fit in the barn door.

The bailer FUed and we got a break. I needed one. It was spitting out bales with one untied/broken string.

An uncle had come by earlier to rake, and had gone home. About then we noticed the electric fence keeping the cows in the pasture was down, no cows out, yet...... The fence was right next to the outside windrow in the field, the one we'd bale last.

I went to fix the fence, while they were working on the bailer. Good thing I did and it all worked out for the best.

There was about 100' of electric fence wire raked into that outside windrow that you'd never had seen, the rake had caught the fence. Now that would have really made a mess of the bailer.............cousin finished fixing the bailer about the time I'd fixed the fence, and we finished that field.

Mad Trapper
06-03-2024, 09:35 AM

No kicker. Had 2 30 year olds, and me stacking. I'm not 30 anymore........ We didn't stack a row that stuck above the wagon as then they won't fit in the barn door.

The bailer FUed and we got a break. I needed one. It was spitting out bales with one untied/broken string.

An uncle had come by earlier to rake, and had gone home. About then we noticed the electric fence keeping the cows in the pasture was down, no cows out, yet...... The fence was right next to the outside windrow in the field, the one we'd bale last.

I went to fix the fence, while they were working on the bailer. Good thing I did and it all worked out for the best.

There was about 100' of electric fence wire raked into that outside windrow that you'd never had seen, the rake had caught the fence. Now that would have really made a mess of the bailer.............cousin finished fixing the bailer about the time I'd fixed the fence, and we finished that field.

Slippy
06-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Went thru Atlanta one time heading to Florida at rush hour...

Never never never again I'll drive 200 miles around it before I take I-75 thru Atlanta ever again!

^^^^^^^Smart Man^^^^^^^

Mad Trapper
06-03-2024, 05:06 PM
^^^^^^^Smart Man^^^^^^^

Many years ago.....We broke down in Jacksonville, going to The 500 in Daytona, that was fun..........

Oh yeah a 72 C10 Blazer we tried to get ready for the trip to Daytona, and broke off a heater hose fitting to the heater core, so we plugged it. February no heat it was ~ 15o F, so we dressed like Eskimos and went south....it's gonna get warmer......

Well F it we are going south to see the race!

Going through NC windshield almost froze up, in rain, with no heater. Rear stared grinding in Georgia, limped into Jacksonvile needed gas and repairs ...it was cold in FLA too. Gas pumper asked "if we Yankees bought all this cold weather with us..."

Stopped at a motel and greeted with 2-3 hookers, um nope ma'm, we need money to fix the truck and get back home.....

Does Atlanta compare with Jacksonville?

Slippy
06-03-2024, 06:55 PM
Many years ago.....We broke down in Jacksonville, going to The 500 in Daytona, that was fun..........

Oh yeah a 72 C10 Blazer we tried to get ready for the trip to Daytona, and broke off a heater hose fitting to the heater core, so we plugged it. February no heat it was ~ 15o F, so we dressed like Eskimos and went south....it's gonna get warmer......

Well F it we are going south to see the race!

Going through NC windshield almost froze up, in rain, with no heater. Rear stared grinding in Georgia, limped into Jacksonvile needed gas and repairs ...it was cold in FLA too. Gas pumper asked "if we Yankees bought all this cold weather with us..."

Stopped at a motel and greeted with 2-3 hookers, um nope ma'm, we need money to fix the truck and get back home.....

Does Atlanta compare with Jacksonville?

Jacksonville and Atlanta proper are both nasty ass shit-holes. Both places have nice suburbs but there is no way in hell that I'd want to find myself anywhere near both...Thank God Son2 lives outside the Atlanta metro area...

Inor
06-03-2024, 08:58 PM
Jacksonville and Atlanta proper are both nasty ass shit-holes. Both places have nice suburbs but there is no way in hell that I'd want to find myself anywhere near both...Thank God Son2 lives outside the Atlanta metro area...

Ain't that the truth!!!

The river area right downtown JAX is nice (for about 2 square blocks). Otherwise, it gets pretty awful pretty quick.

It has been several years since I was downtown ATL. There used to be a cool neighborhood called "The Underground", but the last time I was there about 10 years ago, even that had gotten pretty bad.

Inor's advice for a long and happy life: Avoid *ANY* downtown at all possible costs! Having worked in basically every major city in North America over the last 30 years, there is not a one of them that I like.

Inor
06-03-2024, 09:12 PM
We cleaned half of our spring meat chickens this morning. We are doing the other half on Wednesday morning. It is June in the desert so that means excessive heat warnings every day. Anything outside that is not done by about 10:30 AM is waiting for another day...

I got our pasture brush hogged over the last weekend. So we are now ready for the summer monsoon season. Hopefully we actually have a monsoon season this year. It has been dry since about February so we REALLY NEED the rain!

Sasquatch
06-04-2024, 05:01 AM
We cleaned half of our spring meat chickens this morning. We are doing the other half on Wednesday morning. It is June in the desert so that means excessive heat warnings every day. Anything outside that is not done by about 10:30 AM is waiting for another day...

I got our pasture brush hogged over the last weekend. So we are now ready for the summer monsoon season. Hopefully we actually have a monsoon season this year. It has been dry since about February so we REALLY NEED the rain!

If you don't mind me asking, have you ever done a cost per bird for those chickens factoring in buying them, raising them and labor for you?

Inor
06-04-2024, 08:29 AM
If you don't mind me asking, have you ever done a cost per bird for those chickens factoring in buying them, raising them and labor for you?

With this batch, it came out to about $12 per bird. Last fall's batch, they came out at a little over $10. That includes, buying the birds, shipping and food. Food has gotten stupid expensive for them the last couple months. FJB!

If I were a conspiracy nut, I would wonder why chicken feed has gone up by over 30% the last couple months at the same time they are doing mass culling in Iowa and fires at several big chicken farms all over the U.S. So, less demand but the price of feed goes UP??? But that would be CRAZY right?

In short, you do not save money over the grocery store. But, but, but... They do taste better.

Mad Trapper
06-04-2024, 10:41 AM
With this batch, it came out to about $12 per bird. Last fall's batch, they came out at a little over $10. That includes, buying the birds, shipping and food. Food has gotten stupid expensive for them the last couple months. FJB!

If I were a conspiracy nut, I would wonder why chicken feed has gone up by over 30% the last couple months at the same time they are doing mass culling in Iowa and fires at several big chicken farms all over the U.S. So, less demand but the price of feed goes UP??? But that would be CRAZY right?

In short, you do not save money over the grocery store. But, but, but... They do taste better.

Grow/raise your own you know what you are eating.

They are manipulating feed costs just like all other commodities. Food is just farther down the scheme of things.

Top round is 2 for 1 this week at local grocery, but it's almost $9/lb. A couple years ago same steaks were $1.99/lb on special.

A friend had a cookout last weekend and was bragging about "prime Australian Beef" he was cooking. WTF? beef from the other side of the world. I said how do you know it's prime beef?

Sasquatch
06-04-2024, 11:03 AM

You also gain the knowledge for when there is no grocery store.

BucketBack
06-04-2024, 11:16 AM
We know a few folks with chickens and pigs, so we'll be OK. A beans for bullets kind of trade.

Apparently we're raising Pugs and Chugs now. I have a locked in propane contract, and a Nat Gas line that needs to start getting paid for on the 28th

Last year I was late in signing up, so no good deal for me. This year with Nat Gas here, all of a sudden I'm a preferred customer again. Ferretgas will fill it when I'm gone then charge me $250 + 5 @ gallon to pump it back out before the gas meter can be hung..

I have the stuff to convert the stove and dryer, new hot water tank in barn, except for the furnace needs plumbing or replacement as it's 34 years old, a Miller 92% er

BucketBack
06-04-2024, 11:23 AM
Oh, I need to make room for the swine that some folks at the Post want to gift her as she is National Aux Member.

They gave some to her ex, that "Grimey" guy tried to sell them to us for $300 each.

Now we get them free.

Think I'll disconnect the electric to the camper that nobody used over the last weekends..., to make room for the yard mowing

Inor
06-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Grow/raise your own you know what you are eating.

You also gain the knowledge for when there is no grocery store.

Those are both excellent reasons. But, truth be told, the REAL reason Mrs Inor and I have gone as far down the path of raising our own food as we have... It is just plain fun!

A few things I have noticed now that we have been raising livestock for a few years...

Whether or not you save money over the grocery store (and how much you save) is directly proportional to how expensive it is to get into raising a particular animal. For example, chickens are pretty cheap and easy to get into. But you save almost nothing. (In the case of egg chickens, you actually spend more raising them that just buying eggs from the store).

On the other hand, beef we save a LOT. Our last steer cost us a grand total of about $2500 for the steer, the feed, the butchering, etc. That yielded just over 940 pounds of beef. So roughly $3 per pound... But initially getting set up to raise a beef on our land was expensive by the time you figure in fencing, water troughs, feeders, etc.

A thing on the meat chickens... How many you raise at a time has a big impact on the price per bird. I buy them from a bunch of Amish folks in PA. https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/shop/product/freedom-ranger-chickens/

The price per bird changes depending on how many you buy (of course). But shipping is a BIG damn deal! They charge a flat rate of $45 per order for shipping no matter how many you buy. So if you can get a few families together and place one big order rather than several small orders, you can get the shipping price per bird down to a reasonable amount. I'm sure you could get them cheaper somewhere else, but these folks have been GREAT to work with and we are really pleased with the end result.

It is also no more work to raise 50 meat birds than 10, so if you can get some neighbors to help out for half a day cleaning them when the time comes...

BucketBack
06-04-2024, 01:39 PM
we have to bring the trailer to pick up 4 new solar panels down by the river, and get our crock pot

hawgrider
06-04-2024, 02:14 PM
we have to bring the trailer to pick up 4 new solar panels down by the river, and get our crock pot

Pick them up in a van down by the river ? :)

BucketBack
06-04-2024, 03:31 PM
No cell service in Bridgeton

Mad Trapper
06-04-2024, 04:53 PM
Pick them up in a van down by the river ? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icrWZnl_1w

BucketBack
06-04-2024, 06:07 PM
This ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMTPnLdzzQ

hawgrider
06-04-2024, 06:28 PM
This ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMTPnLdzzQ

Yeah every time I hear down by the river I automatically think about the "I live in a van down by the river" skit.

BucketBack
06-04-2024, 06:38 PM
We started talking sprinkle vs immersion . I got the sprinkle when I was a newborn I think, as I misplaced where it was written on,
so it's time for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmEBlrRRMBQ

Chiefster23
06-06-2024, 02:31 AM
Things are really going to shit in this country and I’m expecting plenty of trouble this summer and fall. We all see the problems so no need to list them again. Time to get like MG and PO and prepare to close and lock the gate, except I got no gate! So I’m spending some cash I wouldn’t ordinarily spend to give us additional supplies and back-up power. Re-zeroing and function checking all toys. No sense saving too much cash now since inflation and possible collapse is driving down purchasing power. Better to have “stuff” than paper. I’m having a knee replacement very soon and dreading being out of commission for so long this summer. But I gotta get this done. Just hoping things don’t get too crazy before I am somewhat functional again. So, preps for the next week: 1. finish prepping evil black toys. 2. Another generator and heavy duty extension cords. 3. More food. 4. Spare tractor battery and more lube oils and grease. 6. Misc. hardware and odds & ends.

With my son gone, in a way it kind of simplifies things. No family to worry about anymore except the wife and we are old. I really don’t much care if it all turns to shit anymore. Just sit back and watch the show as it all melts down. Need to buy more popcorn!

Slippy
06-06-2024, 06:08 AM
Yes, things are getting worse and will continue to get even worse.

There is little to nothing that we can do to change the direction...so I do my best to not dwell on it.

I did my best to prepare me and mine the best I could. I rotate, fine tune, modify our plans/preps...and we live our lives. That's important.

Be well my friends and try not to worry about some of this nonsense.

Slip

Things are really going to shit in this country and I’m expecting plenty of trouble this summer and fall. We all see the problems so no need to list them again. Time to get like MG and PO and prepare to close and lock the gate, except I got no gate! So I’m spending some cash I wouldn’t ordinarily spend to give us additional supplies and back-up power. Re-zeroing and function checking all toys. No sense saving too much cash now since inflation and possible collapse is driving down purchasing power. Better to have “stuff” than paper. I’m having a knee replacement very soon and dreading being out of commission for so long this summer. But I gotta get this done. Just hoping things don’t get too crazy before I am somewhat functional again. So, preps for the next week: 1. finish prepping evil black toys. 2. Another generator and heavy duty extension cords. 3. More food. 4. Spare tractor battery and more lube oils and grease. 6. Misc. hardware and odds & ends.

With my son gone, in a way it kind of simplifies things. No family to worry about anymore except the wife and we are old. I really don’t much care if it all turns to shit anymore. Just sit back and watch the show as it all melts down. Need to buy more popcorn!

MountainGirl
06-06-2024, 07:34 AM

IMO the best and MOST IMPORTANT prep for all of us is to stay BALANCED in our heads.

Part of us sees the storm ahead, and we do what we can to be ready for that, and maybe we'll live through it and maybe we wont....

But the other part of us, the bigger part of us, is just as critical, if not moreso, and that is to live and enjoy each day, right here right now.

Dwell on your blessings; increase the love you give and receive.

So sayeth MG, an old woman who knows little but lives happily - by intentional choice.

T-Man 1066
06-06-2024, 08:01 AM
IMO the best and MOST IMPORTANT prep for all of us is to stay BALANCED in our heads.

Part of us sees the storm ahead, and we do what we can to be ready for that, and maybe we'll live through it and maybe we wont....

But the other part of us, the bigger part of us, is just as critical, if not moreso, and that is to live and enjoy each day, right here right now.

Dwell on your blessings; increase the love you give and receive.

So sayeth MG, an old woman who knows little but lives happily - by intentional choice.

This bears repeating!

Bravo, MG! :attention:

Prepared One
06-06-2024, 08:42 AM
MG and Slippy have it right. Yes we are prepared but we need to live our lives as well and be happy. I pay attention to what's happening in the world knowing I can't change a damn thing, but I do so only so I can be better prepared for the eventuality. Most, if not all of us have been preparing for years so we are well prepared for what ever shit storm comes our way. There may be some tweaking to be done here and there but the basics are more then covered.

Chiefster is right however, there is something wicked coming this way so making sure at least most of your ducks are in line is a smart precaution.

MG and I have more years behind us then in front and we have paid our dues. We are prepared to lock the gates and defend if we have to, but now it's also time to enjoy life, love each other, and have fun. While I keep an eye on the shit storm I refuse to let it worry me to death. Fire up the pit, crack a cold beer, and give the world the middle finger. :beerchug:

Slippy
06-06-2024, 07:39 PM
MG and Slippy have it right. Yes we are prepared but we need to live our lives as well and be happy. I pay attention to what's happening in the world knowing I can't change a damn thing, but I do so only so I can be better prepared for the eventuality. Most, if not all of us have been preparing for years so we are well prepared for what ever shit storm comes our way. There may be some tweaking to be done here and there but the basics are more then covered.

Chiefster is right however, there is something wicked coming this way so making sure at least most of your ducks are in line is a smart precaution.

MG and I have more years behind us then in front and we have paid our dues. We are prepared to lock the gates and defend if we have to, but now it's also time to enjoy life, love each other, and have fun. While I keep an eye on the shit storm I refuse to let it worry me to death. Fire up the pit, crack a cold beer, and give the world the middle finger. :beerchug:

:thumb:

BucketBack
06-09-2024, 08:36 AM
If I said PBR Me ASAP, this would be great. Comes in a light duty storage container

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=192 0,fit=scale-down/https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/attachments/1000020554-jpg.960784/

Chiefster23
06-22-2024, 04:19 AM
Last week, before getting the new knee, I bought a pair of Honda 2200 watt generators and a cable to parallel them. Also a new 30 amp extension cord and a spare tractor battery. The generators will give me the ability to power a small one room air conditioner if the main power goes out. During this weeks heat wave we have had two minor power blips that caused momentary outages, but everything quickly returned to normal. This week has been brutal. It would have been a real bitch without the AC.

Prepared One
06-22-2024, 09:10 AM
Last week, before getting the new knee, I bought a pair of Honda 2200 watt generators and a cable to parallel them. Also a new 30 amp extension cord and a spare tractor battery. The generators will give me the ability to power a small one room air conditioner if the main power goes out. During this weeks heat wave we have had two minor power blips that caused momentary outages, but everything quickly returned to normal. This week has been brutal. It would have been a real bitch without the AC.

I did pretty much the same thing. I ordered and received a dual fuel Westing House inverter generator to run the AC in the master bedroom. Mostly for short term outages to run for a few hours or through the night rather then turn the whole house gen set on. It is very quite and its 4500 watts will run the window unit with juice to spare. This way we have a cold room to sleep in at least. And yes, summer has arrived in Texas.

BucketBack
06-22-2024, 09:32 AM

I'm still using my old Shore Power 50' cable I paid $20 for "Out On A Limb" in 1999 The 5K genny powers a 5K AC until to take the edge off, while keeping the fridge and freezer going. Usually......................