PDA

View Full Version : What was your prep of the day?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Inor
05-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Every prepper site HAS to have a "prep of the day" thread. So I'll start one here.

Last Sunday and Monday I tried out a new recipe for venison sausage and broke in my new propane smoker. Both worked out better than I had hoped. So now we have another 15 pounds of venison sausage in the freezer!

BTW: For any of you guys that are meat-heads and into making sausage, I found that using a 50/50 mix of bourbon and water, instead of just water for mixing in the spices gives it a really nice smokey flavor throughout the meat. I used Maker's Mark because that is what I had on hand. I do not know how cheap bourbon would work. But I expect it would be fine since all of the alcohol is cooked off during smoking; what we are after is the "aged" flavor that comes from aging it in the casks.

RWalls
05-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Bought some ASE today.

Just Sayin'
05-29-2014, 11:20 PM
The hardest thing I've found about getting my venison sausage right is the ratio of fat to lean meat and how the temperature can affect that. My smoker has to be constantly tended to to keep the temp in the 170-180 range, so I typically start mine in the oven and then finish it on the smoker.

My prep today was putting 4 cases of beans, flour, and quick oats into the supply from the LDS Store. The highlight today was explaining to my daughter all the different reasons we might need such a supply. And the icing on the cake, was when she went to the pantry to get some mac & cheese, and someone had used the last of it, pulling some out of our backups. I think she understands a little better now.

MrsInor
05-29-2014, 11:24 PM
Finished canning twenty pint jars of split pea soup and 4 jars of ham.

BugMan
05-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Got a new Bow. According to RWalls it's junk, but I'm pretty sure I can kill with it.

BugMan
05-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Oh yea, and I got some Silver. RWalls just needs to drop it off.

Inor
05-29-2014, 11:35 PM
The hardest thing I've found about getting my venison sausage right is the ratio of fat to lean meat and how the temperature can affect that. My smoker has to be constantly tended to to keep the temp in the 170-180 range, so I typically start mine in the oven and then finish it on the smoker.

I use at least 20% fat by weight. Then I also leave them in the fridge for 12-24 hours after I have stuffed them but before I smoke them. But, try the bourbon trick. It is awesome!

I know what you are saying on tending the smoker. My big wood smoker has to be constantly baby sat. I have also found that it is MUCH easier to control the smoker temp, when the outside temp is 40 degrees rather than 80. The final test of the new smoker is tomorrow. I am doing ribs. I do not expect there will be a middle ground with how they turn out either. They will either be as good as the Commissary place you took me to when I was in Memphis last spring or they will suck worse than Dickies.

Inor
05-29-2014, 11:38 PM
Got a new Bow. According to RWalls it's junk, but I'm pretty sure I can kill with it.

Inor's Archery Safety Rule #7: Never hit anything with your bow. You could mar the finish. :D

RWalls
05-30-2014, 06:12 AM

Its junk...

rice paddy daddy
05-30-2014, 07:34 AM
My prep for the day is ongoing at the moment. One of our Delaware hens is brooding. I don't know how many eggs she's sitting on, that is The Wife's department.
Delaware's are good layers, brown eggs, plus they are a medium bodied hen, good for meat when the laying days are over. Large bodied breeds don't do well in the North Florida heat, it is already pushing 100 degrees in the shade some days and August is yet to come - that brings 107+ in the shade with 90% humidity.
We just lost a hen to natural causes earlier this week, most likely heat.

Just Sayin'
05-30-2014, 09:51 PM
I use at least 20% fat by weight. Then I also leave them in the fridge for 12-24 hours after I have stuffed them but before I smoke them. But, try the bourbon trick. It is awesome!

I know what you are saying on tending the smoker. My big wood smoker has to be constantly baby sat. I have also found that it is MUCH easier to control the smoker temp, when the outside temp is 40 degrees rather than 80. The final test of the new smoker is tomorrow. I am doing ribs. I do not expect there will be a middle ground with how they turn out either. They will either be as good as the Commissary place you took me to when I was in Memphis last spring or they will suck worse than Dickies.

I've found that it's not only the fat content (by percentage), but what kind of fat you use. Our local grocery store will save all the pork trimmings and that has worked the best, but we also use bacon ends occasionally. You're right about the outside temperature affecting how easy or hard it is to regulate the smoking temp. Another aspect that I've found to affect the quality of the sausages is the grind of the meat and the fat. Courser grinds and grinding the fat at almost freezing temps seems to produce the best summer sausages, while the "snack sticks" seem to do better with a little finer grind.

Ribs are hard to cook consistently, period. They always either turn out fall apart in your mouth good or like an old Cocoran boot sole. I'm beginning to believe that size matters when you talk about grill size and ribs. Let us know how yours turned out...

Deebo
05-31-2014, 12:27 AM
Purchased some 2X4's and roof patch. Gonna be a busy weekend, between work, weedwacking, installing a evaporative cooler, spreading roof patch, and making some jerky.

Inor
05-31-2014, 12:50 AM
I've found that it's not only the fat content (by percentage), but what kind of fat you use. Our local grocery store will save all the pork trimmings and that has worked the best, but we also use bacon ends occasionally. You're right about the outside temperature affecting how easy or hard it is to regulate the smoking temp. Another aspect that I've found to affect the quality of the sausages is the grind of the meat and the fat. Courser grinds and grinding the fat at almost freezing temps seems to produce the best summer sausages, while the "snack sticks" seem to do better with a little finer grind.

You are absolutely right. When we use either bacon ends or rendered bacon fat, they always turn out great. Using fat from a port roast is a challenge. We do usually grind our meat with a fine grind, but we also grind it semi-frozen. That seems to work well for pork and venison. Beef, on the other hand seems to come out "gritty". I.E. It has the consistency of eating gravel. I have not found a solution for that yet. What do you do?

Ribs are hard to cook consistently, period. They always either turn out fall apart in your mouth good or like an old Cocoran boot sole. I'm beginning to believe that size matters when you talk about grill size and ribs. Let us know how yours turned out...

Okay, I was wrong again... I said the ribs would turn out either absolutely awful or "out of this world, I will do crime to get one more, stupendous". They did neither. They tasted great. But that was more a function of Mrs Inor's brine and her dry rub. (I will try and coax her to post the recipes.) In terms of consistency, I like ribs that are not fall off the bone mushy, but I also do not like shoe leather. These did not hit either of those. But... I also like ribs that are firm and pull easily away from the bone in one chew. I did not hit that either.

I think I heated them too high, too early. I smoked them at 170 (about the lowest my propane smoker can go) for about an hour. Then, I brought the smoker up to 200 for and hour. Then, I brought the smoker to 220 for and hour. Then I turned smoker off and left ribs in it for an hour, before finishing on grill.

In all, they were not awful. But I have done better. I think next time I will try 170 for 2 hours then 200 for an hour, and sit for an hour. They were far from dry and awful, but they were not really good either.

Guess I'll just have to practice more...

Inor
05-31-2014, 12:55 AM
Purchased some 2X4's and roof patch. Gonna be a busy weekend, between work, weedwacking, installing a evaporative cooler, spreading roof patch, and making some jerky.

You'd best be bringin' some of that jerky to OK next month boy-o! :D

Inor
05-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Roasted up another pound of coffee. I refuse to go through the apocalypse decaffeinated.

inceptor
05-31-2014, 05:32 PM
Roasted up another pound of coffee. I refuse to go through the apocalypse decaffeinated.

Life without coffee?? :shocked:

Not on my watch.

Deebo
05-31-2014, 11:16 PM
Summertime prep. This morning I installed the new evaporative cooler. I was about to remove a window, when I decided to just cut a hole in the unused back door. Surprised how damn cheap a mobile home door is. 1/8 inch aluminum sheet over a cardboard honeycomb.

Just Sayin'
05-31-2014, 11:57 PM
Ordered the wife a Condor MOPC vest and soft level 3a inserts. Just in case.

Just Sayin'
06-01-2014, 12:04 AM
You are absolutely right. When we use either bacon ends or rendered bacon fat, they always turn out great. Using fat from a port roast is a challenge. We do usually grind our meat with a fine grind, but we also grind it semi-frozen. That seems to work well for pork and venison. Beef, on the other hand seems to come out "gritty". I.E. It has the consistency of eating gravel. I have not found a solution for that yet. What do you do?

I can't help you there, Bud. I have not done anything with beef, only pork and venison. If I had to guess, I would think that it more a matter of the cut of beef, but I really don't know. Maybe adding a tenderizer?

Deebo
06-03-2014, 03:40 AM
one dozen hard boiled eggs in a "spicy tavern brine" which consisted of white vinegar, pickling spice, kosher salt, and red chily flakes. Also, purchased good old beer, I have been drinking a fifth of Southern comfort, and I just couldnt eat any of those "sweet hot pickles" with whiskey. Unfortunately, the beer is in the truck, warm, and cant be braught inside work, so I will freezer burn one (wrap a wet paper towell and freeze for 10-15 minutes) in the morning while I install the "new axle bearings, rear end, and chain" to the quad in the morning. Gotta get some of this damn stuff done, so i can enjoy the gathering and vacation.

Eagle1803
06-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Pressure wrap a bunch of rice.

Deebo
06-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Well, parts guy at the Suzuki shop "got me", two of the four rearaxle bolts were wrong. Living 15 miles from any store, and it being 7 am, I just got as far as I could, then performed some shovel work on the weeds that my land drag cant get to. Going to get a selection of bolts to stock up, and hopefully finish thye axle, and install chain, and VROOM.
The dozen pickeld eggs have my little fridge stinking to high heaven, becouse I was cheap and baught a "tea pitcher" to pickle the eggs in. I wanted to be able to get them out.
The beer nevr got cold enought to enjoy this morning, with the sweet hot pickles, so look out Wednesday morning.

Inor
07-19-2014, 10:23 PM
This was not actually a prep today, but I have not posted about it yet.

Mrs Inor went out and picked us up a Sight Mark 4x50 night vision monocular. Actually, she picked up two because the first one did not work. We did try it and... she loved it, me not so much. The problem is, I wear bifocals and I cannot see through the monocular without removing my glasses. But if I remove them, the monocular is not strong enough to compensate for my prescription. Mrs Inor, being nearsighted, can see through it with or without her glasses.

The other thing I noticed is that you do NOT want to use it with your dominant eye. Once you have looked through it for a spell and take it away, it takes about 5 minutes for your normal vision to return. So if I were using it in a survival situation, I doubt I could use my right eye well enough to shoot if I had been looking through the monocular.

Or maybe it just takes some getting used to. I would be interested in hearing any of your experiences with night vision equipment.

pheniox17
07-19-2014, 11:43 PM
prep of the day, I normally avoid the topic but since its worth getting this area of this forum to kick up a gear will share some of my doings :P

got some chalk and glow sticks for the inch setup (on sale)

working on completing my beginners compound bow (redzone 60Lb 29" draw) looking for a arrow rest that is half decent atm

also working on a on person survival kit that I will also give to family as Xmas gifts (nothing major, fire, water putrefaction, water storage, small folder, and a arrow/spear head, still hunting down the head, and looking at some other little bits)

reorganising the home to accommodate more preps, and working on the "quality" inch bags... :)

TiredNurse
07-20-2014, 03:05 AM
Joined a new forum so I could keep up with information that will be useful if TSHTF......hate change, but have hope that this forum will be more informative than what I saw in the last few weeks over there.

Sparkyprep
07-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Spent the better part of the day at the range, practicing. See "Tactical Training" section of forum for a complete range report.

Sparkyprep
07-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Joined a new forum so I could keep up with information that will be useful if TSHTF......hate change, but have hope that this forum will be more informative than what I saw in the last few weeks over there.

You mean like "Prepper Poetry" ? :wtf:

machinejjh
07-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Added and rotated pantry stock.

Deebo
07-22-2014, 01:40 AM
made some "fire starters" for the three truck bags, and a few extra.
Consists of two papertowels folded and rolled up tight, about a foot of aluminum foil, wrapped around papertowel, and a box of matches all doublezipplocked.
It was too dang hot outside for any labor, so I had to do something.

Deebo
07-22-2014, 01:46 AM
second picture not loading, but its same, just has papertowl rolled with aluminum.

Kanman
07-23-2014, 10:05 AM
I haven't done anything the last three days as I just had major stomach surgery and cant do anything, but do feel ok with what I have for now until I can get back to moving around again. Isn't that what it is all about? Feeling good for when you can't do anything?

Ordnance21
07-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Salt & pepper into food saver bags, sealed for long life.

TiredNurse
07-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Cleaned and reorganized the cellar again. seems like I just did this a few months ago.
always seem to find more room I can put stuff

machinejjh
07-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Bought a ticket to a steak dinner/10 gun raffle in August. Hope I win this time. 0 for 3 dinners so far...

Arizona Infidel
07-28-2014, 12:02 AM
I haven't done anything the last three days as I just had major stomach surgery and cant do anything, but do feel ok with what I have for now until I can get back to moving around again. Isn't that what it is all about? Feeling good for when you can't do anything?

So how ya doin. Did they give you Oxycodone?

RWalls
07-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Finally set the last few posts for my grapes.

SquirrelBait
07-29-2014, 03:20 PM
I reordered and inventoried the prep room... Again.

Imaexpat2
07-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Bought a Cuban YO-YO Rig for fishing and bought a set of Hornady dies in 7.62x39 to add to the collection of dies. Tomorrow I will be sending in my cupon and 15 bucks for 500 x Hornady 150 gr 308 SP bullets. I guess 308 is the next thing I work on at the reloading bench...

Kanman
07-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Yes they did Arizona Infidel, and it made me sick, so quit taking it second day in.
Didn't get new pain med until late 4th day. Still sore, but doing ok. thanks for asking.

So how ya doin. Did they give you Oxycodone?

Pauls
07-29-2014, 08:25 PM
I harvested more strawberries and tomatoes and put in a second planting of sweet potatoes and more russets. The cantaloupes will be ready to harvest within a couple of weeks.

Deebo
07-31-2014, 03:25 AM
Scored, found a four foot peice if sprung steel, it was the blade part of a large paper shear. Have one knife design drawn, about to cut it, and section the other peice to fit in my toolbox.
Also, have a G11 pipe and rod, fits so tight I might not need orings, to make a firestick out of it.

Arizona Infidel
08-03-2014, 12:54 AM
Today I bought a guitar. What's that got to do with prepping you ask? Well, watcha gonna do for entertainment?

Sparkyprep
08-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Went through all the kitchen knives, and put them all on the wet stone. All now have a hair-shaving razor edge.

Arklatex
08-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Went through all the kitchen knives, and put them all on the wet stone. All now have a hair-shaving razor edge.
That's funny. I did exactly the same thing. I also touched up my edc blade and the case trapper.

Arklatex
08-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Today I bought a guitar. What's that got to do with prepping you ask? Well, watcha gonna do for entertainment?
Nice! Be prepared for some painful fingertips while you learn. It's worth it.

omegabrock
08-03-2014, 12:20 PM
not today, but in the next week or so i plan on buying my first bulk ammo and over the next few days i will be researching canning. the wife said she wants a hobby and would enjoy that because she used to do it with her grandma. i am all for helping her get a hobby that coincides with this lifestyle

Arizona Infidel
08-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Nice! Be prepared for some painful fingertips while you learn. It's worth it.
Ya. I found that out the first day. How long before your fingers stop hurting?

Arklatex
08-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Ya. I found that out the first day. How long before your fingers stop hurting?
Until you build up calluses. Won't be too long.

Tachammer73
08-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Picked up some goodies at box-Mart http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/nuqunejy.jpg

Arklatex
08-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Picked up some goodies at box-Mart http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/nuqunejy.jpg
I have that same stanley cookset. It's been a great buy. Works especially well on those pocket rocket type stoves.

Arklatex
08-04-2014, 09:59 PM
My prep of the day was going out and earning money..

Tachammer73
08-04-2014, 10:09 PM
That's good to hear, I've been eyeing it for a couple weeks I have to have something light and easy to pack and the old cast iron skillet and Dutch oven just don fit that bill lol

Inor
08-05-2014, 12:03 AM
I pulled the trigger on a new shiv. I decided on the Kershaw Leek. I did look at the SOG I mentioned in another post, and it was a shit knife when seen in person. It just felt too bulky and not as "clean" as the Kershaw. Even though the Kershaw was almost twice the price of the SOG, it was at least three times the knife; so a much better value.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/leek

For the application I wanted it for (as a safety precaution when traveling for business) it is absolutely perfect. It is extremely light. It does not show much of an imprint in my pocket when I carry it. If anything, it looks like I have a comb in my pocket. And the blade is insanely sharp! We'll see how well the edge holds. But for now, I am VERY happy with it.

Tachammer73
08-05-2014, 06:16 AM
I had a leek for about a year and it was an awesome knife for edc i lost it somewhere either at work or fishing last summer not sure which but i am sure it will serve you well, i may have to get myself another one of these days

Arklatex
08-05-2014, 06:23 AM
I pulled the trigger on a new shiv. I decided on the Kershaw Leek. I did look at the SOG I mentioned in another post, and it was a shit knife when seen in person. It just felt too bulky and not as "clean" as the Kershaw. Even though the Kershaw was almost twice the price of the SOG, it was at least three times the knife; so a much better value.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/leek

For the application I wanted it for (as a safety precaution when traveling for business) it is absolutely perfect. It is extremely light. It does not show much of an imprint in my pocket when I carry it. If anything, it looks like I have a comb in my pocket. And the blade is insanely sharp! We'll see how well the edge holds. But for now, I am VERY happy with it.
I have had the leek for 3 years. It is still in the edc knife rotation. I love the assisted opening and the stonewashed finish is tough as nails. Just be careful with that tip. I slightly bent it once but I repaired the damage on the whetstone.

Inor
08-05-2014, 08:22 AM
I have had the leek for 3 years. It is still in the edc knife rotation. I love the assisted opening and the stonewashed finish is tough as nails. Just be careful with that tip. I slightly bent it once but I repaired the damage on the whetstone.

I already discovered about the tip the hard way. It poked my thumb ever so slightly. My hotel bathroom looks like I have been slaughtering hogs in it. :D

omegabrock
08-05-2014, 12:08 PM
what's edc?

Tachammer73
08-05-2014, 12:19 PM
every day carry

Sparkyprep
08-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Kicked a$$ at work. Brought the money home to momma.

Pauls
08-06-2014, 10:38 PM
I got my lathe set up and did some practice turning with some mild steel. Now I just have to clean the surface rust from being in storage for two years.

Inor
08-06-2014, 10:46 PM
I got my lathe set up and did some practice turning with some mild steel. Now I just have to clean the surface rust from being in storage for two years.

Awesome possum!!! It always feels good to get a favorite tool back out of storage.

Inor
08-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Put in a new deadbolt lock in our back door, fixed a leaky rain gutter, dug out some landscape timers, and will shortly be replacing a screen in one of our deck doors. How do any of those tasks qualify as survival stuff you ask? Because, when your wife moves about a ton and a half of landscape rock by herself because the cement contractor is coming two weeks earlier than expected and you are out of town on business all week, your very survival depends on getting as much of that "honey-do" list knocked out as possible when you get back home!

Yes - I married well above my station.

omegabrock
08-09-2014, 03:20 PM

We started our first batch of pickles. Definitely a test run that hopefully leads into canning

Edit: not as productive as Inor though haha

Slippy
08-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Rain filled up my catchment system which was running low after almost a month of no significant rain! Thanks God!

Montana Rancher
08-09-2014, 10:49 PM
It may sound simple but I made a Costco run today for cat and dog food, some spices, a bunch of frozen food and some alcohol and toilet paper.

Let us not forget the basics.

Inor
08-09-2014, 11:16 PM
It may sound simple but I made a Costco run today for cat and dog food, some spices, a bunch of frozen food and some alcohol and toilet paper.

Them's the staples of EVERY prepper's life. It is too easy to forget the basics.

TiredNurse
08-10-2014, 01:40 AM
This week put up 138 pints of pickles with cucumbers, onions, and dill from my garden. 43 quarts pickled beets from the garden. Green beans just starting 42 quarts this week. added a bunch to the dried foods. 50 lbs each oatmeal, 10 grain hot cereal, flour, sugar, rice. 25 lbs of biscuit mix and pancake mix.
picked 88 lbs of blueberries today at a local u pick farm that will be turned into pie filling, pancake syrup and canned berries for future cooking.
Canning tomato sauce, and spaghetti sauce tomorrow.
way behind on stuff in the garden. wish I had more time ......

Denton
08-10-2014, 03:52 AM
I bought ten pounds of dehydrated water.

OSFG said I was wasting my money, but I beg to differ.

Ten pounds on H2. All I have to do is add ten more pounds of O. Instant swimming pool.

Inor
08-10-2014, 10:20 AM
I bought ten pounds of dehydrated water.

OSFG said I was wasting my money, but I beg to differ.

Ten pounds on H2. All I have to do is add ten more pounds of O. Instant swimming pool.

Sorry Denton, O is about 4 times heavier than H. So you will need about 40 pounds of O. Plus you will need some fire to get them to combine. But it should make quite a pop. Let me know when you are going to do it, I want to watch from a safe distance.

Deebo
08-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Modified the cabinet doors above the fridge, that woyldnt open due to an oversize fridge in a reg size hole.
Had to take apart the piped under kitchen sink to fix s leak.
Now off to run the last few hours of this bobcat rental, and part of it is to make a shooting lane for the crossbow. Season starts Sept 1 in Arkansas.

Just Sayin'
08-10-2014, 07:35 PM
This week put up 138 pints of pickles with cucumbers, onions, and dill from my garden. 43 quarts pickled beets from the garden. Green beans just starting 42 quarts this week. added a bunch to the dried foods. 50 lbs each oatmeal, 10 grain hot cereal, flour, sugar, rice. 25 lbs of biscuit mix and pancake mix.
picked 88 lbs of blueberries today at a local u pick farm that will be turned into pie filling, pancake syrup and canned berries for future cooking.
Canning tomato sauce, and spaghetti sauce tomorrow.
way behind on stuff in the garden. wish I had more time ......

That was quite a week, no wonder you're tired!

I got my daughter to clean out all of her stuff that is supposed to be at college with her that was in my prep room. Harder than it sounds.

SquirrelBait
08-11-2014, 12:31 PM

Indeed! The pets will thank you! :beerchug:

SquirrelBait
08-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Local drugstore had a close out sale on some health and comfort items. I snagged up Vities, and food supplements, Hibicleanse, Povidone iodine,Large eye pads, Nitrile (One box) and vinyl (Two boxes) gloves, Fine lancets (Three boxes), Keto sticks, Three tubes glucose, One box cotton tipped applicators.

jbrooks19
08-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Bought 2 cases of water and sold some old gear to fund more ammo :ak47:

Reptilicus
08-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Just ordered two cases of Winchester 7.62x51 NATO from Midway! Getting ready for another range day soon!

Inor
08-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Just ordered two cases of Winchester 7.62x51 NATO from Midway! Getting ready for another range day soon!

Although your Winchester is better quality, for just tearing up the range this is not bad stuff:

http://www.luckygunner.com/762x51mm-149-gr-fmj-blackgun-500-rounds

Reptilicus
08-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Hmmm..... thanks for the link buddy, I 'll be checking this stuff out next time if it's still available! That's less than I just paid for 400 rds. Would be like getting 100 rds. FREE!!!

Coppertop
08-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Nothing like TiredNurse did, but we picked chokecherries and started cooking them down for our first try at making syrup and our first try at canning.

Tachammer73
08-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Scored me some play time at the range!! http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/16/3d6fc019f417fd9b1364ec0586583a37.jpg

machinejjh
08-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Range day for me too. Ran 50 rounds through the SR9c and 50 through the SR1911.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/17/2be3d0195dda91de56d02c15379ad335.jpg

Just Sayin'
08-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Bought 300 rounds of CCI .22 subsonics at 10.5 cents a round.

Put up 5 pounds of dry beans, 5 pounds of pasta, 2 lbs. of sugar, and 4 lbs of grits and cornmeal in mason jars with oxygen absorbers.

jbrooks19
08-19-2014, 07:24 AM
Bought 100 .223/5.56 stripper clips and when they come in im gonna load my ammo onto them. My goal is to get up to 5000rds of .223/5.56 and have it all loaded on either mags or on stripper clips.

jbrooks19
08-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Got 800rds of .223 loaded onto stripper clips, i forgot to order the "Spoons" or loaders for them...So i just ordered a bunch.. It's hard to load mags using stripper clips with out the loader.

Also, added 3 more cases of water to the preps and some more canned goods.

jbrooks19
08-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Loaded more .223/5.56 onto stripper clips and practiced using them to reload/load mags.. Also bought some more canned propane and also 20 cans of Chicken Noodle soup. We eat a LOT of soup at my house and its awesome that it has such a long shelf life, we stock up on it when it hits a good sale.

Coppertop
08-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Couldn't handle it anymore this morning!!! I opened a jar of chokecherry syrup that we canned a couple of weeks ago. Made some sourdough pancakes and smothered them in syrup. A little sweeter than what I usually get from the store, but it was damn good.

So I guess my prep was to see how good my syrup making skills are. I also got to open the first jar that I have ever canned. That was a pick me up/ proud of me moment too.

Thanks

jbrooks19
08-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Bought 2 cases of water and installed re-bar over the windows in the basement to keep people out, but still be removable to get out if need be.

Innkeeper
08-29-2014, 03:53 PM
I just bought 500 rounds of CCI .22 for 53 and change including 8 shipping, I also finally broke down and bought some Radios for communication. And started studying for my HAM license again.

Montana Rancher
08-31-2014, 02:22 AM
Couldn't handle it anymore this morning!!! I opened a jar of chokecherry syrup that we canned a couple of weeks ago. Made some sourdough pancakes and smothered them in syrup. A little sweeter than what I usually get from the store, but it was damn good.

So I guess my prep was to see how good my syrup making skills are. I also got to open the first jar that I have ever canned. That was a pick me up/ proud of me moment too.

Thanks

My Dad, lives next door to me and 80 years old has picked 350 lbs of choke cherries this year alone.

He makes a lot of wine and his girl friend makes a lot of syrup and jelly, both are great.

He picks them mostly along rail road tracks, makes me realize you are never too old to make a difference in prepping.

SquirrelBait
08-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Bought a nebulizer for respiratory tract infections. Bought an adult mask, Pediatric mask, and new tubing to go with it. It'll be used with my homemade colloidal silver.

Bought another case of propane.

Deebo
08-31-2014, 06:13 PM
Repaired some picket fence, the big dog or the devilboy had tore some off. Added a few extra boards here and there. Also installed a plywood backer to the cheap tv stand we use in living room. Old tv weighs a ton. Was scared it would topple over at any time.

James m
08-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Wound up giving all of my lighters to a deadbeat smoker. Little by little all I have left is a grill lighter. Oh and a magnesium fire starter and some zippo lighter fuel.

But I can pick up Zippo lighters for ten a piece locally. The ones with a picture are twelve. Are they that cheap elsewhere?

jbrooks19
09-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Bought some more ammo, .223/5.56, 12ga BBB (Goose season is coming!!!) and a box of 9x18 Mak... Also bought 2 more cases of water and 2 gallons of Bleach.

James m
09-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Another case of water.

Then last night I purchased canned goods. And some bag of Tyson precooked chicken. It was like the chicken in a can with a little water but lighter and easier to carry for a vest im working on. I tried one of the bags and the smell was hard to get it by my mouth. Im sure fire will make it better. Itll get rid of the water. Anyway I put some hot sauce on it and had it with saltine crackers. That was my test prep.

jbrooks19
09-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Headed out for a 2-day tip with a good friend to test our GHB..Not BOB... We were testing to see if they were ready to get us home if need be. We were both happy but still need to address some issues. My main issue is fire starting methods, wood was wet so matches wouldn't burn..and my skills with magnesium starters is lacking. We did get one going but it took the miniature fire starting log i have in my bag to get it going.

RWalls
09-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I snatched up 12 ASE for $21 each, cheapest I got in a long time.

jbrooks19
09-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Well, today will be organizing and a trip to the store to stock up on cold/flu meds.. That season is soon approaching..

Montana Rancher
09-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Headed out for a 2-day tip with a good friend to test our GHB..Not BOB... We were testing to see if they were ready to get us home if need be. We were both happy but still need to address some issues. My main issue is fire starting methods, wood was wet so matches wouldn't burn..and my skills with magnesium starters is lacking. We did get one going but it took the miniature fire starting log i have in my bag to get it going.

I've been considering doing a 80 mile get home with only my GHB from the Idaho boarder to home. I congradulate you on actually doing it, it is good to learn.

TJC44
09-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Even a 30 mile trip, my daily commute, would be a good test. Will have to work that in.

Sparkyprep
09-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Spent a little time at the backyard range. 120 rounds through the AR, about 100 through the 9mm, and a bunch through the .22. The kids had a good time. Now, I'm cleaning guns.

jbrooks19
09-14-2014, 08:13 PM
I've been considering doing a 80 mile get home with only my GHB from the Idaho boarder to home. I congradulate you on actually doing it, it is good to learn.
We try to do this twice a year. It's a great exercise to test a GHb or BOB

jbrooks19
09-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Worked on organizing preps and picked up a few more green propane canisters and cleaned up the camp stove and painted it.. Ready for winter time power outages and cold weather..

RWalls
09-18-2014, 07:33 PM
I didnt do anything today, Im a loser...

Sparkyprep
09-18-2014, 07:45 PM
I payed around in bed all day. Lol.

Inor
09-18-2014, 07:56 PM
I payed around in bed all day. Lol.

You hired a hooker?!? That is not a prep. Although depending on what you caught from the hooker, it may be a reason to prep. :mocking:

Tango
09-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Local grocery chain has BOGO (buy one get one) specials each week.
Picked up some stuff for the pantry.

jbrooks19
09-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Added 2 more cases of water to the preps, that makes 35 cases... At 40 bottles per pack that is 1400 bottles of water, still need more! Haha..

I want to have 50 cases of water on hand, then i'll be pleased, for now.

jbrooks19
09-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Sighted in my rifle.. next I hope my 2 yr old will take a nap so I can clean my rifle and organize my prep room a bit more

Coppertop
09-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Cut up some old posts and rebuild scraps for firewood. Worked on my Jeep (aggravating in that it won't run the way I want it to), sprayed the fence to seal it before winter, made jerky. I also took a nap- that helps my mental preparedness.

Deebo
11-03-2014, 06:34 AM
FINALLY got the kitchen sink unclogged.
Had tried snakes, draino, and a small water bulb. Got the bigger water bulb, and whala,,
Couple of days ago, replaced the a.c. water spigot, it was leaking a drop every two seconds.
Got a needed 3/8 fitting, to instal a shut off valve to shower.
Small steps, getting ready for the two houses to become one.....

omegabrock
11-03-2014, 08:46 AM
well, it's still early so all i have done today is bills but over the next few days i am increasing the horse's area to about 5x what she has now. also, since she is good on a lead i want to start working with her on being a work horse. probably nothing too big, just pulling a small trailer behind her...not prep, the wife wants me to put hardwood floors in the bedroom soo...there's that

James m
11-03-2014, 03:59 PM
I know I mentioned it before but.
I put up a new mailbox. Put it in a large plastic garden pot and added two bags of cement. 50 pounds each. So 100 pounds. As well as the 4x4 post and a new metal box.

So I go outside in the morning and it fell over somehow. Wind maybe but there was a rock exactly in the middle of the thing. So moved that. Seems ok now. But when it fell it knocked over the neighbors box. Broke all to hell. But nobody likes them anyway. So.

Coppertop
11-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Started EMT classes last night. If nothing else I will learn something new, but I think it will be a great barter item as a prep.

Deebo
11-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Nice coppertop. I'm a first responder would love to go for Emt. If I could get work to pay for it, that would be awesome.

Coppertop
11-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Deebo- I got work to sponsor the class. They are paying my way and about 75% of everyone else's. I have already been approached by a couple of townspeople (small town- where everyone knows what you are doing before you do) and thanked for even taking the class. That has already paid dividends for my self esteem.

omegabrock
11-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Started researching the best ways to season wood because I thought you just cut it down, chop it up, light it on fire

omegabrock
12-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Been busy lately. We have finished moving and I haven't been on hardly any recently because the only internet we have is satellite and it's crazy slow. I pull the Internet up on my computer, have my morning piss, make a cup of coffee and come back to a screen still loading. Anyways, we got the horse fenced in to about 3 acres and got a good routine for her. The wife has been working with her on riding (soon I'll get her to be a work horse pulling stuff for me), we got 6 chickens and I built a coop. Almost done, just need shingles and some small details work - trim and stuff. Apparently they will also help with grub worms so I won't have armadillos tearing up my yard. Still working on my range though, clearing the lane. Seems like I rarely get time for that because the wife keeps giving me side projects that always take priority over mine. Oh well, happy wife - happy life and all of that.

James m
12-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Good to see ya. I haven't been on lately either. Started a new job.

My recent prep has been a Gerber LMF II I ordered in the mail, received that already. Still waiting on a frequency scanner I ordered from radio shack, they didn't have it in stock that day.

1moretoy
12-16-2014, 04:40 PM
I know I mentioned it before but.
I put up a new mailbox. Put it in a large plastic garden pot and added two bags of cement. 50 pounds each. So 100 pounds. As well as the 4x4 post and a new metal box.

So I go outside in the morning and it fell over somehow. Wind maybe but there was a rock exactly in the middle of the thing. So moved that. Seems ok now. But when it fell it knocked over the neighbors box. Broke all to hell. But nobody likes them anyway. So.

Why didn't you put it in the ground?

James m
12-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Why didn't you put it in the ground?
My post office only delivers mail in one direction. Basically all mail boxes have to be on one side of the street so they are not driving around in circles. My mail box has to be across the street and I don't own that property, its the neighbors. And when they plow snow they knock it over, even when I did have it in the ground with a metal pole. If it gets knocked over in a bucket you just stand it back up. Long response :p

1moretoy
12-16-2014, 06:39 PM
That's weird...mine is across the street too but nobody owns the property at the street. The county owns the right of way that goes up into the yards. But we don't have snow plows to knock them over either.

omegabrock
12-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Seems there would be something that needs to be addressed if you have to have a mailbox on property that isn't yours.

James m
12-16-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm just waiting for stamps to hit $1.00 a piece.

Just Sayin'
12-17-2014, 06:33 PM
My daughter asked for a Maglite for Christmas, so I got one for her. Kinda proud of her, she wanted the big 3D cell one you can use as a club.

1moretoy
12-17-2014, 06:38 PM
My daughter asked for a Maglite for Christmas, so I got one for her. Kinda proud of her, she wanted the big 3D cell one you can use as a club.

Now you just need the mount to place it next to the driver seat of her car.

Just Sayin'
12-17-2014, 06:39 PM
I've got the clips on order... Got to take of my little girl, you know.

1moretoy
12-17-2014, 06:49 PM
I've got the clips on order... Got to take of my little girl, you know.

I do...have two of my own.

Just Sayin'
12-17-2014, 07:46 PM
I do...have two of my own.

Double the trouble!

Someone told me that daughters were God's punishment for being a guy. I think it's worse today than ever.

1moretoy
12-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Double the trouble!

Someone told me that daughters were God's punishment for being a guy. I think it's worse today than ever.

Mine are grown now but in today's world I'm not sure I would want to raise girls or boys.

Just Sayin'
12-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Mine are grown now but in today's world I'm not sure I would want to raise girls or boys.

I'm glad I had a daughter, she was sort of a tomboy growing up, which was fun. Now she's got my some of my few best qualities, and all of her Mom's.

omegabrock
12-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Speaking of flashlights, I got a bushnell...takes 3 AAA batteries and is about twice as bright as the maglite. The beam doesn't reach as far, but it has a wider spread and by far brighter. Idk the technical terms but I would definitely recommend it. Also has a red light and blue "tracker" light.

RWalls
12-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Got me a little bit of gold and silver today.

longrider
12-25-2014, 02:09 AM
I gave my Farmer Guy a GHB for when he's off buying calves or equipment. he wasn't as thrilled as I was. I'm still working on him, which is a prep in itself. Made 3 batches of kolacky yesterday. That's a huge prep for happiness, if you love kolacky like I do. Most goes in the freezer.

Got my son a gun cleaning kit for Christmas. He was stoked. Another prep.

James m
12-25-2014, 06:32 AM
Ordered a baofeng uv-5r.

Arklatex
12-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Ordered a baofeng uv-5r.
I have one of those. You will love it. Great little radio for the price. Make sure you get the programming cable and download the chirp software for it (free). Makes it easier to hit repeaters and ems/fire/police. You can also program it to use frs and gmrs freqs. Every prepper should have on of these or similar.

James m
12-25-2014, 09:25 AM
I still need the test. The only one I can find is the next state over which completely blows. I talked to some people and they had a place at the local court house. But that guy retired and moved to Florida.

DerBiermeister
12-25-2014, 09:44 AM
My prep of the day -- finished it late last night -- was to apply some much needed updates to my lesson on Compass Navigating 101. I found, by accident, that the Magnetic Declination Maps, that have hundreds of images when Googled, are all dated five or more years back. And it would not of have been good for anyone here who lives let's say on either coast of the country to use any of these maps to calculate correctly what their declination offset should be for their compass. The further away from Zero Declination (essentially along the Mississippi River) you go, the more error appears on these maps.
I added explanations about this and emphasized how to get the current and correct declination offset for your location.

Read up on this by going to the Compass Navigating under the Wilderness Survival section.

Sockpuppet
12-25-2014, 09:45 AM
I gave my Farmer Guy a GHB for when he's off buying calves or equipment. he wasn't as thrilled as I was. I'm still working on him, which is a prep in itself. Made 3 batches of kolacky yesterday. That's a huge prep for happiness, if you love kolacky like I do. Most goes in the freezer.

Got my son a gun cleaning kit for Christmas. He was stoked. Another prep.

Sorry to see that the GHB wasn't the hit as it should have been. I guarantee though, that he'll appreciate it when....and not if....he needs it.

Kolacky. Yummm. The mention of that has brought out the central European/Slavic ancestery side of me.

James m
12-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Is kolacky poppy seed?

DerBiermeister
12-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Ordered a baofeng uv-5r.

I have something like that ... a Yaesu VX-8. Have to say it is a complicated modinker. I've been learning my way around it, while also studying for my Technician license. Going to be a couple more months before I will feel ready to take the test. But at least then, I will be able to Transmit on this baby.

Sockpuppet
12-25-2014, 10:01 AM
I have something like that ... a Yaesu VX-8. Have to say it is a complicated modinker. I've been learning my way around it, while also studying for my Technician license. Going to be a couple more months before I will feel ready to take the test. But at least then, I will be able to Transmit on this baby.

I have a Yaesu VX-8DR, and it has so many features, one has to have the book nearby to utilize it for those features that are only used occasionally.

Though I rarely do more than transmit and receive to and from a repeater, and occasionally listen to radio stations/NOAA.

I had my General class license, a month after my Tech. I had my AE, 6 months after my General.

Take the CD-ROM tests, and when you consistently score 80% or better, you'll be ready for the FCC AR exam.

DerBiermeister
12-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Take the CD-ROM tests, and when you consistently score 80% or better, you'll be ready for the FCC AR exam.

That is the kind of advice I can use -- thanks!

hawgrider
12-25-2014, 11:08 AM
I stocked up on Alka seltzer and aspirin.:drinkmore:

Sockpuppet
12-25-2014, 11:35 AM
That is the kind of advice I can use -- thanks!

longrider
12-25-2014, 09:32 PM
I made poppyseed, arpicott, cherry, date, raspberry and prune kolacky. I think I gained 10 pounds in the last 2 days. Love it! I'm storing my preps in my tummy.

Baglady
12-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Well, not much. We put my new scope and laser light on my rifle. I can't believe how far that light will go at night!!

Deebo
12-25-2014, 11:10 PM
No preps, did try one of the pickled little smilies. Tastes barely pickled. Been a week. Maybe to much water?
Wanted to try one of the hot pickled eggs, but the wife said, you do, and im sleeping on the couch.
Will sneak one tommoro.

hawgrider
12-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Started and exercised the generator. Found a gas line that was weather checked. Replaced it and topped off with fuel. Snowblower same. Started gave it a once over topped off with fuel. Tractor pulled upper and lower drive belts for replacement. Now wait till Monday and hit the parts store for belts.

hawgrider
12-28-2014, 01:02 PM
No preps, did try one of the pickled little smilies. Tastes barely pickled. Been a week. Maybe to much water?
Wanted to try one of the hot pickled eggs, but the wife said, you do, and im sleeping on the couch.
Will sneak one tommoro.
Pickled smilies?

Txwheels
12-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Ran both generators and checked them over. Refreshed our on hand gasoline supply by filling the car and the truck with our four 10 gallon cans then re-filling them at the gas station.
Then made a trip to Academy and Walmart and bought ammo.

James m
12-28-2014, 09:42 PM
I went over to Lowe's to look at LED light bulbs, I walk in and two minutes later, they announced the store is closing.

So next door to wally world. Got a GE 800 lumen LED. Thought it would be too bright, but its perfect. The 300 and 350 lumen ones would be too dim.

omegabrock
12-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Chopped and split about a week's worth of wood for heat. Nothing spectacular but it's something

omegabrock
12-29-2014, 04:08 PM
To add, taught the daughter how to make kindling and work a fire from coals up to roaring flame...now to practice my fire starting without the aid of matches lol

James m
12-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Received my baefong UV-5R V2+ in the mail today. Its supposed to be an updated model and the paperwork says 2012 on it. I heard these were cheap but its not as cheap as I thought, on a fit and finish level. Don't know much about reception or transmission yet.

Txwheels
12-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Picked up 4 more cases of MRE's and 6 boxes of powdered milk.

hawgrider
12-30-2014, 05:42 PM
I prepared my garage for some dart throwing, cigar smoking and mass quantity of alcohol consumption for new years eve party.

Prepared One
01-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Purchased a good gun safe. Now I have to bolt it down.

Deebo
01-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Sorry guys, that was pickled smokies, the precooked little smokie sausages .
Swept a little snow off the trouble area of the roof.

Prepared One
01-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Received my baefong UV-5R V2+ in the mail today. Its supposed to be an updated model and the paperwork says 2012 on it. I heard these were cheap but its not as cheap as I thought, on a fit and finish level. Don't know much about reception or transmission yet. Let me know what you think of this radeo after you have a had a chance to use them. I am thinking of purchsing but I have heard both good and bad things about them.

longrider
01-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Fleshed out a bit more, my Farmer Guy's BOB, that I gave him for Christmas. Got him a hatchet, all of us each a camo tarp (8 x 10), bandanas (dark ones), hard candies and some shampoos and conditioners for < $1.00 as well as 15% off at Menards. I was surprised that Farmer Guy actually picked his own hatchet out. :stickman: (that is exactly what I look like when I dance! But it's a happy dance.) Tomorrow I'm going to can some hamburger.

Inor
01-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Picked up 500 rounds of Hornady 9mm JHP (new) for $162. Gotta love Freedom Munitions!

Jeep
01-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Bought 2 heavy duty tires(used) for spares, each has 5k miles on them.

Montana Rancher
01-10-2015, 01:03 AM
I prepared my garage for some dart throwing, cigar smoking and mass quantity of alcohol consumption for new years eve party.

Purchased a good gun safe. Now I have to bolt it down.

Aye

Bolting down a gun safe is the only option you have, if you don't bolt it down, don't buy it.

Seriously it makes all the difference and I'm glad you understand that!

hawgrider
01-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Scored some farmer beef today. Hamburger already ground chuck already wrapped for $2.75 a lbs should get it by next week end when my son inlaw delivers I'll post a pic. Ordered 40 lbs

James m
01-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Two bags of ice melt.

jeff70
01-18-2015, 10:04 PM
Wife bought me a chainsaw, now I need to up my wood supply

Deebo
01-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Saved a one inch peice of silver foam board from the trash at work. Big enough to completely flat cover a door frame. The cold air is coming in pretty good. Drafty...
need to cut it down to size and get it taped in place tommoro.
Got a tube of silicone to seal an electric outlet outside, and around the porchlight.

Deebo
01-18-2015, 11:00 PM
Oh, was working on a new alcohol stove design. Using sterno cans instead of coke cans.

Montana Rancher
01-21-2015, 01:04 AM
I went to my local grain mill and purchased 150# of corn, 100# of wheat and added them to my galvanized garbage cans of feed for my chickens.

Each 50# bag is about $15 give or take, and that is about $4 less than a prepared chicken ration.

I get the advantage of grinding my own chicken rations, plus I get the advantage of not losing nutritional value of the grain once it is cracked and processed.

Oh and the other advantage... it Is cheaper.

Oh, and advantage 2, I can use the grain to make alcohol in my stil.

I haven't done that yet but it is an option.

OH, advantage #3, I have about 200 pounds of grain in my garage that could be used for food.

Eggs, win
alcohol, win
Food, win

I don't see the down side.

Deebo
01-21-2015, 05:12 AM
Christmas sale at dollar General, picked up two packs of tealight candles for .25 each. To add to the lights out kit.

omegabrock
01-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Made plans to get a working donkey this weekend...already trained for riding and pulling. Just need a cart - apparently those are pretty expensive. Also, started plans for permanent chicken coop that can house 60+ birds, including chicks for when I start hatching and selling

omegabrock
01-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Also, grabbed 1K rounds of .22 I found for about 5 cents per

Arklatex
03-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Last week I got a buck 119. What a great American made knife! The sheath sucks imo. May have to get with infidel for a remedy.

This week I got a kleen canteen for my edc work backpack. 40 ounces of delicious well water for my 12 hour shift! Added bonus is if push comes to shove it's a container I can boil water in.

Also this week I put in some good range time with my new Ruger GP100. I am really loving this wheelgun! I cannot recommend it highly enough!!!

Inor
03-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Put back another 50 lbs of green coffee beans. We are up to a little over 150 lbs put back now. - I refuse to go through the apocalypse decaffeinated.

Started reorganizing some cabinets in our utility room to be able to store more preps.

Innkeeper
03-21-2015, 03:44 PM
Put back another 50 lbs of green coffee beans. We are up to a little over 150 lbs put back now. - I refuse to go through the apocalypse decaffeinated.

Started reorganizing some cabinets in our utility room to be able to store more preps.

I am sending you JL after the Apocalypse as I am not a coffee drinker and I could never prep enough for her. lol

justlooking
03-21-2015, 07:23 PM
I am sending you JL after the Apocalypse as I am not a coffee drinker and I could never prep enough for her. lol
Coffee!!

Nectar of the God's

justlooking
03-21-2015, 08:31 PM

Hmmm guess I got traded over to you

Being as innkeeper doesn't want shackled with that ring through the nose again

Inor
03-21-2015, 08:33 PM
I already have the ring through my nose. But you are more than welcome to come hang out with Mrs Inor and me. :D

Innkeeper
03-22-2015, 08:44 AM
Hmmm guess I got traded over to you

Being as innkeeper doesn't want shackled with that ring through the nose again

I don't want to be shackled with your need for coffee after the end of things.

Frogman
03-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Did the dishes, that's sure to keep the apocalypse in check for another day

hawgrider
03-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Did the dishes, that's sure to keep the apocalypse in check for another dayI raked the leaves yesterday in preparation for acid rain.

Laufen
03-23-2015, 01:55 PM
Did a quick 5 miler.

justlooking
03-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Drank a bottle of wine

RWalls
03-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Bought a can of corned beef.

1moretoy
03-23-2015, 02:16 PM
I've never been able to acquire a taste for corned beef. Not sure why though.

Laufen
03-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Fresh or dogfood..errr... canned?

Innkeeper
03-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Well just got home after buying My first reloading Press..... an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, I have been buying brass, powder primers , bullets and the smaller things I need to do it for the last 6-8 weeks, and decided to actually get the press when I got my income tax refund, I probably will not get it set up until mid april, but I still need to build my reloading table. Hey one thing at a time.

Tachammer73
03-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Took my youngest out to the range this afternoon, he is 11. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/26/2ced2fec41a269d1bb802fc9b15097ca.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/26/5a1235c590be0b334134367715505485.jpg

Pauls
03-26-2015, 11:57 PM
I have plans for a single station reloading press that is as stable as one that is bolted to the wall but it is portable and only 30" wide, 30 inches high, has a built in seat and is 38 and 1/2 inches from front to back.

After moving twice and leaving very nice reloading benches behind I decided to design one that I could take with me. The plans are free and I can send them in PDF format so you don't need special software to read them. I also have a Bill of Materials so you know what you need to buy and a cut list that tells you how to cut the different sized pieces to get the most out of your wood.

Did I mention the plans are free? :)

justlooking
03-27-2015, 07:44 AM
I have plans for a single station reloading press that is as stable as one that is bolted to the wall but it is portable and only 30" wide, 30 inches high, has a built in seat and is 38 and 1/2 inches from front to back.

After moving twice and leaving very nice reloading benches behind I decided to design one that I could take with me. The plans are free and I can send them in PDF format so you don't need special software to read them. I also have a Bill of Materials so you know what you need to buy and a cut list that tells you how to cut the different sized pieces to get the most out of your wood.

Did I mention the plans are free? :)
Yes please send them

Pauls
03-27-2015, 01:02 PM
If I post them here I need to convert them to JPG - I don't know how well that will turn out but if you send an email to me at pauls1950(at)yahoo(dot)com I can send them directly to you.

Innkeeper
03-27-2015, 05:47 PM
If I post them here I need to convert them to JPG - I don't know how well that will turn out but if you send an email to me at pauls1950(at)yahoo(dot)com I can send them directly to you.

Sounds good I will send ya an e-mail later this weekend, Thanks.

Inor
03-27-2015, 06:29 PM
Here is a reloading bench I made a couple years ago. So far it has worked out really well. You cannot really see it very well in the picture, but there is an 1/8 lip running around the top to keep the brass from rolling off. If I were building it again, the only thing I would do different is I would put a plastic laminate on the top. I use it as my cleaning bench too and the solvent has seeped into the wood pretty good. It does not hurt anything. It just does not look as good as it otherwise would.

hawgrider
03-27-2015, 06:36 PM
For a guy from the land of 10,000 lakes you do some nice work.:bigthumbup:

justlooking
03-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Here is a reloading bench I made a couple years ago. So far it has worked out really well. You cannot really see it very well in the picture, but there is an 1/8 lip running around the top to keep the brass from rolling off. If I were building it again, the only thing I would do different is I would put a plastic laminate on the top. I use it as my cleaning bench too and the solvent has seeped into the wood pretty good. It does not hurt anything. It just does not look as good as it otherwise would.

I love that

Slippy
03-27-2015, 07:25 PM
Excellent, I've seen other pics of Inor's work and he's got mad skills!

I've got to get you down to Slippy Lodge and pay you in good barley and hops and range time...to make us some cabinets!!!

justlooking
03-27-2015, 07:26 PM
I drank a bottle of wine.

Inor
03-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Excellent, I've seen other pics of Inor's work and he's got mad skills!

I've got to get you down to Slippy Lodge and pay you in good barley and hops and range time...to make us some cabinets!!!

You buy the materials and I am happy to make you and Mrs Slippy anything you want!

Innkeeper
03-28-2015, 09:50 PM

I am going to have to try and make me something like that. That is real nice.

Inor
03-30-2015, 11:27 PM
I ordered a case of hard white wheat. We have been storing hard red wheat and making flour from it for quite a while, but the flavor is a bit strong. So I ordered one case of white wheat to see if it might be a bit lighter and make breads that rise better.

(The downside is, even if the white is better than the red, we still have over 300 pounds of red on hand that we will have to use up. Oh well, it lasts for 25-30 years so that is only about 2-3 cans per year. :D)

James m
04-02-2015, 02:15 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003LSU0KI/ref=pd_aw_sbs_watch_5?refRID=0H8Z8QENJJVQEPN1S7B5

Purchased one of these thermometer altimeter barometer watches. It seems to be taking the temp of my arm, and not surrounding temp.

Txwheels
04-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Checked through our stored goods today and readied some ammo for range time tomorrow.

James m
04-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Hooks and lures ahead of fishing. Next is organizing tackle box.

One complaint I had trouble finding this thread. I know its sticky but I'm on a phone.
I like hearing the political stuff and admit to be the first one to post unrelated things (spam) so OK fire at will.

Montana Rancher
04-07-2015, 12:15 AM
I've seriously considered digging hole and putting a third of my food stocks in the ground.

Its a pretty big hole, but I think I should have something back that isn't obvious.

Deebo
07-12-2015, 09:39 AM
My prep was purchasing a lot of building materials.
Lumber for a lean too off my storage shed
Tile for the bathroom floor.
Paint for the bathroom.
Gotta keep the wife happy.
With the big layoff at work, and having been put on twenty hour weeks, we quickly decided that the new house was too much of a burden. Just gonna repair and fix this old place up.

Arklatex
07-12-2015, 10:14 AM
My prep was purchasing a lot of building materials.
Lumber for a lean too off my storage shed
Tile for the bathroom floor.
Paint for the bathroom.
Gotta keep the wife happy.
With the big layoff at work, and having been put on twenty hour weeks, we quickly decided that the new house was too much of a burden. Just gonna repair and fix this old place up.
Good luck Deebo. That REALLY sucks that your hours were cut back. A few years ago the factory cut us all back to 36 hour weeks for an entire year. It was tough times but we made it through. Hopefully your cutbacks don't last as long.

Deebo
07-12-2015, 03:37 PM
It only lasted for two weeks, last week I got about forty. I bounced back to my "old shop", where I was once a supervisor and did three days of simple stuff.
Then Thursday I was sent back to my real shop to do some paperwork for a quality recertification.
I think the company just kinda "downsized", and let some of the bad apples and few decent ones go, so that everyone gets serious.
Our company had a few to many people with the I don't Care attitude. They are gone. We are slow, but schedule is back to forty hours for now.
A rotor could come in at any time, and would put us back on seven twelves quick.
I am just thankful that I wasn't cut. My history of being a pain in the ass had me worried.

Deebo
07-12-2015, 03:41 PM
1556 its up. Just a lean to, but was hard for me and my eight year old....
I am not a carpenter, but I'm learning.
Gonna shingle it, and probably close in two sides.

Deebo
07-12-2015, 03:42 PM
It's mainly to keep a four wheeler or two under. I think it's alright.

Sparkyprep
07-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Looks great.

You will be building full-fledged pole barns in no time.

James m
07-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Looks OK for the deserts of New Mexico. I wouldn't bother with shingles. I'd use a tin or plastic Roof. Shingles for that is too much work. If it was here where we get snow I'd of used 2x6. I'm not standing on that to shingle it!! LoL just saying.

Pauls
07-12-2015, 07:01 PM
To prevent a collapse from wind you should place diagonal braces from the posts to the top. start at 24" down on the post and take the diagonal up and away from the top of the post to the roof about 24 inches from the post. A pair of diagonals on each post with add a lot of strength.

Deebo
07-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, I will put up some diagonal braces, since I might not put the sides on. I will look at the price of plastic or metal versus shingles. When I say NM everybody thinks desert, but I'm only forty minutes from Colorado, so we get our snow.

Sparkyprep
07-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Shingling is not hard. Most art at the bottom, stagger your seams.

Deebo
07-13-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm thinking shingles would be cheapest, and can pretty much reach most of it from sides.
I helped my grandpa shingle his house.

James m
07-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Then by all means shingle away my friend. I thought you were more desert.

James m
07-13-2015, 05:22 PM
2x4 are for inside interior and exterior walls. Sometimes they will use 2x6 for walls where they want to put thicker insulation in or want more than 16 inch centers, the room between boards. They will double up boards to use above doors and walls. These are held up by Jack studs. A jack stud is a little shorter than a king stud that goes to the ceiling. Crippled studs go below a window and the jack and king go above. There is always a jack next to a king for stability. They build walls in sections. A 2x4 on the top and bottom, the jack, king studs in the middle, then one more 2x4 on top to tie it together. In a house there is a flat piece of 2xX bolted to the basement walls. Then the floor goes on top of that with a piece of 1xX at the slim end of the board to tie that together. Plywood floor of at least 3/4 inch wood. Then the walls from earlier. Now you could add a second story if the first is strong enough to support it. Or on to the roof. With trusses or manually.

But I think if you get a lot of snow I don't know how a 2x4 Roof would hold up. It might go a couple years but not permanent. I know its just something for now.

Pauls
07-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Deebo,
That roof doesn't look like it has enough slope for shingles. The photo could be misleading but if you are going to use shingles you need to have an air space under them so they will dry out - otherwise the shingles will rot. For the air space you put nailing boards up and then your shingles are nailed to the boards. (usually 1x4s for the roof) I think you need a 3 in 12" pitch as minimum to use shingles. If you use metal or fiberglass panels you still need the nailing boards but with composite roofing you can just use sheathing under it (1/2" OSB). Also with composite roofing you can go down to 2 in 12" slope for rolled roofing or 3 in 12" for three tab.

James m
07-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Deebo,
That roof doesn't look like it has enough slope for shingles. The photo could be misleading but if you are going to use shingles you need to have an air space under them so they will dry out - otherwise the shingles will rot. For the air space you put nailing boards up and then your shingles are nailed to the boards. (usually 1x4s for the roof) I think you need a 3 in 12" pitch as minimum to use shingles. If you use metal or fiberglass panels you still need the nailing boards but with composite roofing you can just use sheathing under it (1/2" OSB). Also with composite roofing you can go down to 2 in 12" slope for rolled roofing or 3 in 12" for three tab.
Thank you.

Deebo
07-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys. I'm learning as I go.

Deebo
07-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Prep today was letting the wife shoot her new R.I. 45. Picture won't load

hawgrider
07-14-2015, 07:54 PM
Prep today was letting the wife shoot her new R.I. 45. Picture won't load
Remington R1 ? Love it! Son in law has one it feels and shoots just like my 1942 Colt 1911A1. Nice hangun for the money!

Deebo
07-14-2015, 08:26 PM
Sorry, Rock Island 45. But, she loves it

hawgrider
07-15-2015, 04:09 AM
Sorry, Rock Island 45. But, she loves it Nope haven't shot one of those. Glad she likes it.

Deebo
07-15-2015, 03:08 PM
Made a new friend today, gave him the spent 45 cases from last night.

James m
07-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Is rock island the one made in the Philippines?

James m
07-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Hanging out with Suzy.

Sparkyprep
07-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Hanging out with Suzy.

God I have a weak spot for dogs.

James m
07-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Yea she's 6 months and weights about 35 pounds. Vet said 60 plus pounds. Her teeth are still coming in so I lost a pair of shoes laces already. She chewed through s tennis ball made for dogs already, was made heavier just for pets. Gonna be big.

Sparkyprep
07-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Big dogs are good dogs. Stay away from the little yapping rats that try to be dogs.

James m
07-15-2015, 06:23 PM
I had a beagle previously. He passed about 2010. 16 years old.

BlackDog
07-27-2015, 08:40 PM
It wasn't today, it was two weeks ago that I completed my 275 gallon IBC tote rainwater collection system.
But it was last night that it finally rained so I could see how well it works. I was most interested to see how well the first-flush system would do. It worked great! Lots of crud in there that didn't make it's way into the tank
Now just to replace my gutters and downspouts since the existing ones are rusted pretty bad. 1616

hawgrider
07-28-2015, 04:08 AM
It wasn't today, it was two weeks ago that I completed my 275 gallon IBC tote rainwater collection system.
But it was last night that it finally rained so I could see how well it works. I was most interested to see how well the first-flush system would do. It worked great! Lots of crud in there that didn't make it's way into the tank
Now just to replace my gutters and downspouts since the existing ones are rusted pretty bad. 1616
Nice setup Blackdog!

BlackDog
07-28-2015, 09:09 PM
Nice setup Blackdog!
Thank you! From the 24x24 garage roof it caught about 130 gallons from a short thunder shower.
I think all the local farmers are mad at me. Until the other night it had hardly rained since I finished the darn thing. Maybe I should wash my car?

Deebo
08-07-2015, 03:38 PM
My prep for today is escorting the wife to Alb. NM for her recirtification of armed guard license, AND CONCEILED CARRY PERMIT.
Eight hours on Sat and Ten on Sunday.

Deebo
08-20-2015, 08:47 PM
Great prep. The wife was at the library with me, I was looking for "One year After", and only found one second after. I asked her to read it.
That was a week or so ago. Last night, she tells me she's currently at the part where they execute the two thieves.
She looks at me and says, 'we don't have enough water stored"....
Yes......

Montana Rancher
08-20-2015, 11:40 PM
Baptized my oldest daughter on Wednesday at cowboy church, I did a lot of other things this week but that was at the top of the list.

James m
08-30-2015, 08:02 PM
Need a new vehicle because I know my old truck isn't going to hold up much longer. Looking online at auto trader and the dealer around the corner has a nice Jeep. I could use another Jeep.

Inor
08-30-2015, 10:05 PM
I finally got back into my wood shop and got some more parts made for my dining room chair project. I still feel like shit from my Hun Flu episode a week ago and I am sure the pound and half of sawdust that I inhaled today did not help any. But it sure felt good to break a sweat and stretch some muscles with some hand tools.

Deebo
08-30-2015, 11:21 PM
Inor, you know, you could use a dust mask??
I hate them, and really hate them with glasses.

Inor
08-30-2015, 11:58 PM
Inor, you know, you could use a dust mask??
I hate them, and really hate them with glasses.

Dust masks are for pussies!

Auntie
08-31-2015, 12:33 AM
Real men don't wear dust masks they buy a dust collection system and install it :)

Inor
08-31-2015, 12:36 AM
Real men don't wear dust masks they buy a dust collection system and install it :)

Yeah, I need one bad. But with all the other crap in my shop, I do not have room for it. So I point fans out the doors. :biglaugh:

James m
08-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Keep a small shop vac nearby. Or hook the shop vac to the dust out port.

Auntie
08-31-2015, 05:14 PM
i got 1/2 of the 50 lbs of potatoes I bought in the jars ready for to pressure can.

James m
09-03-2015, 07:31 PM
New collar for my dog. The old ones buckle kept coming undone.

Reptilicus
09-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Stopped at the Liquor store and prepped for this weekends BBQ'ing with plenty of cold refreshments and splurged on a bottle of top shelf Mezcal! Hit the jackpot as the bottle I got had not 1 but 2 nice, plump worms in it!!! Yummy!!!

Inor
09-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Stopped at the Liquor store and prepped for this weekends BBQ'ing with plenty of cold refreshments and splurged on a bottle of top shelf Mezcal! Hit the jackpot as the bottle I got had not 1 but 2 nice, plump worms in it!!! Yummy!!!

So what's on the menu Rep?

Slippy
09-03-2015, 11:40 PM
So Mrs Slippy said she was going to visit her Dad today and could she use the truck. Sure, I said, why? I don't know, Mrs Slippy said, Dad has something he wants to get rid of.

So she returns home with an old cast iron/enameled porcelain stove! It is a sweet looking old stove from The Birmingham Stove and Range Company! It'll be a nice project to restore.

Question to you welders out there...Reptilicus?

One of the legs is broken, can Cast Iron be welded?

Inor
09-03-2015, 11:53 PM
So Mrs Slippy said she was going to visit her Dad today and could she use the truck. Sure, I said, why? I don't know, Mrs Slippy said, Dad has something he wants to get rid of.

So she returns home with an old cast iron/enameled porcelain stove! It is a sweet looking old stove from The Birmingham Stove and Range Company! It'll be a nice project to restore.

Holy sheep shit Slippy! That is cooler than a really awesome cool thing! WOW!!! Get that restored, hooked up and pictures posted!

Tks
09-03-2015, 11:54 PM

Nice! I want one so bad. I have a new one picked out for our retirement place but I'd kill to have one of those old one. I know hubs has welded cast before but he said there are some major differences and it's a b**** to get right. I know there are some good you tube videos on it, I could have him find a good one if you like.