PDA

View Full Version : The Ubiquitous 30-30 Lever Gun

hawgrider
12-02-2016, 11:15 AM
http://survivalcache.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/lever_action_chamber.jpg

Dear survivalists and preppers, have we gone AR and AK nuts? Hey, you know what, there are viable alternatives to the multi-round, mag latch, muzzle flash black guns so often associated with the bug out movement. For one, this author contends a good ole reliable, lever action 30-30 has a role to play in our survivalist work. Sometimes the best choice is the most iconic one.
http://survivalcache.com/the-ubiquitous-30-30-lever-gun/

Sarge7402
12-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Mine is a winchester 94. Just wrote an article for a return to basic's magazine about a 40 dollar device to let you shoot 45 grain round balls at .22 LR velocities.

150 rounds of that stuff cost me less than $25

Arklatex
12-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Mine is a winchester 94. Just wrote an article for a return to basic's magazine about a 40 dollar device to let you shoot 45 grain round balls at .22 LR velocities.

150 rounds of that stuff cost me less than $25
Do you have a link to your article? If so feel free to share it, I'd like to read it.

Arklatex
12-02-2016, 07:30 PM
A Marlin 30-30 was my first centerfire rifle. And I still love em to this day.

Coastie dad
12-03-2016, 07:58 AM
Help me here guys. Seriously.
The comment that you don't want to carry a lever gun on half cock e en if it has a safety? But the commentor alluding it's safe to carry a chambered bolt action?

I run across so many people that have a weird notion about old style guns. Maybe it's just me?
I've got an old 94 saddle carbine that I'm the fourth generation owner. I was taught half cock and chambered.
I was also taught quarter cock on a Colt would blow off body parts. Load one, skip one, ya know?
So what's your thoughts? This is an old version of the 1911 condition 1,2, or 3 argument.

Sarge7402
12-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Not yet, I just sent it into the magazine just before Christmas and it will probably be published some time around Feb or apr of next year.

However the device is the Hammond Game Getter http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/

And I can assure you it definitely lives up to it's advertisement (if not better)

Infidel
12-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Help me here guys. Seriously.
The comment that you don't want to carry a lever gun on half cock e en if it has a safety? But the commentor alluding it's safe to carry a chambered bolt action?

I run across so many people that have a weird notion about old style guns. Maybe it's just me?
I've got an old 94 saddle carbine that I'm the fourth generation owner. I was taught half cock and chambered.
I was also taught quarter cock on a Colt would blow off body parts. Load one, skip one, ya know?
So what's your thoughts? This is an old version of the 1911 condition 1,2, or 3 argument.
Putting a lever gun on half cock can be a dangerous proposition for the uninitiated. I don't know about the Winchester rifles but Marlin rifles if not done correctly can lead to an unintentional discharge. With a Marlin you chamber a round and then put your thumb on the hammer and press the trigger to release the hammer controlling said hammer until it hits the half cock notch. You must let go of the trigger as soon as the hammer is released from the full cock notch, this does 2 things: #1 it engages the hammer block safety since the trigger has been released. #2 it allows the sear to catch in the half cock notch instead of catching on the edge of the notch which would allow the rifle to fire if the trigger is pulled.

All that said the Lever gun is as safe as any design provided you take the time to learn how it operates. I currently own 2 Marlin 336 rifles one in .30WCF and one in .35 Rem either would make a fine SHTF rifle although the .30WCF would get the nod due to the prevalence of ammunition for it.

-Infidel

Coastie dad
12-03-2016, 09:32 PM
Yeah. So, I guess my point....one must be smarter than what one is working with, and prepare for mishaps.
I reckon people have become.e so used to warning labels and safety precautions that just good old sense and care have gone out the window.
Sad state of affairs.

rice paddy daddy
12-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Every serious rifleman should have a 30-30 lever action.
I got my first, a 1972 Marlin 336 Texan, for $100 in a private sale.
When Winchester closed the Connecticut plant in 2006, I bought a used late manufacture Model 94.

As regards the so called "safety notch" on Colt 1873 revolvers and clones, a blow to the hammer will cause it to fall when in this position. Colt never designed this as a safety.
Although I do not have a Colt, I have faithful replicas made by Uberti and Pietta. Never, ever carry them any other way than the hammer down on an empty chamber.

Infidel
12-04-2016, 08:26 AM
Yeah. So, I guess my point....one must be smarter than what one is working with, and prepare for mishaps.
I reckon people have become.e so used to warning labels and safety precautions that just good old sense and care have gone out the window.
Sad state of affairs.

Words of wisdom right there.

Coastie dad
12-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Yeah, RPD, I've heard that quarter cock, safety notch crap for years.
Remington had a safety notch on the cylinder, but the good colonel stayed with hammer down on empty.