PDA

View Full Version : Everyday use of "Prep" supplies

juskom95
12-12-2016, 01:06 PM
So, over the weekend I became very ill, my little biological germ factories (ie kids) got sick, then the wife, and of course I finally got sick. Between other real world issues, I had very little sleep so the illness hit me very hard, and I was effectively out of action for two whole days.

Now, I bring this up because of how we purchase 'long term' items, and something many seem to overlook. We have extra OTC supplies in our house of every day items, things like Motrin, Tylenol, Gatorade etc. This came in handy, because as kids (and some wives!) are known to do they used up everything gin the medicine cabinet and did not replace them . . . then of course I became sick and was by myself.

Thankfully I had planned ahead, and had extra tylenol and the like, because I was not in any shape to drive myself anywhere.

Thought I would share my use of supplies, something many to not think about when they hear the word "Prepper" or "Survivalist" They envision a Cold War bunker and stacks of MRE's and ammunition, not the simple reality of having something 'extra' when it is needed.

Baglady
12-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Sorry you were sick, glad your better.
I keep OTC supplies in a "medical" bag. Stuff for insect bites, insect repellent, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Benedryl, tooth ache medicine, etc. As well as bandages, rubbing alcohol, cotton balls, etc.
It has come in handy more than once.

Deebo
12-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Living in a two bedroom house, as a child, with two younger sisters and parents, once one of us got sick, everyone would usually get it.
We started "quartine cups" whenever someone got sore throat or the flu.
We put our names on a Styrofoam cup, and we also put a few drops of bleach in the sink, and dipped each washed dish into it, then air dry.
Worked pretty good.
Yes, we always need bandaids and IBU at my house.

juskom95
12-13-2016, 08:19 AM
Sorry you were sick, glad your better.
Appreciate it. Usually I'm pretty healthy, never get sick, but when I do it is pretty bad.

I keep OTC supplies in a "medical" bag. Stuff for insect bites, insect repellent, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Benedryl, tooth ache medicine, etc. As well as bandages, rubbing alcohol, cotton balls, etc.
It has come in handy more than once.

I have a separate supply the wife doesn't go through. She is great at groceries and the like but for some reason she has not quite learned how to restock the medicine cabinet/first aid bin when something happens.

juskom95
12-13-2016, 08:19 AM
Living in a two bedroom house, as a child, with two younger sisters and parents, once one of us got sick, everyone would usually get it.
We started "quartine cups" whenever someone got sore throat or the flu.
We put our names on a Styrofoam cup, and we also put a few drops of bleach in the sink, and dipped each washed dish into it, then air dry.
Worked pretty good.

I like that idea!

BucketBack
12-13-2016, 09:11 AM
I store what I use. Meds, foods,drinks. With the exception of Canadian Mist half pints. I don't really like to drink it, so it's fairly safe, unless I run out of booze on a drunk...........

Baglady
12-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Especially with kids around it's a good idea to wipe door, refridgerater, toilet, car door handles, etc, with a bleach rag routinely.
You can also put a little, (1/8 cup) bleach in the bottom of your dishwasher before you run it.

Kfilly
12-13-2016, 12:43 PM
I like colloidal silver. It is an alternative therapy, but I have had good luck using it. It is super cheap to make. There is a kit you can buy on Amazon. It comes with a water tester (total dissolved solids), silver wires, and a set of alligator clip wires for $30. All you need is distilled water, three 9v batteries, and a glass jar to make it. I also store colloidal silver I make in Amber glass bottles. I also agree it is good to be prepared for all of the little emergencies that come up.