PDA

View Full Version : Wood stuff

Inor
06-12-2014, 10:47 PM
My first passion is woodworking. Specifically, I like to make furniture but I also do a bit of turning. Here are a few of my projects:

A 6 board blanket chest. I made this piece with only hand tools. The sides are joined using hand cut dovetails.

A Queen Anne style audio cabinet. I did use a table saw to rip the pieces to width and cut the panels for the sides, top and back. All of the other shaping was done by hand.

Walnut barrister bookcases. These were mostly machine made. But each shelf is a separate unit. I made 6 shelf units and two tops and two bottoms. So they can be stacked with 3 and 3 units or 4 and 2 etc.

Then I have made a bunch of fixtures for my shop. Here is a workbench:

And a cart for all of my saws and table saw stuff:

I have made a bunch of other stuff too, but I do not have pictures of them - a reloading bench, all of Mrs Inor's kitchen cabinets, a couple other bookcases, etc.

Inor
06-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Inor that is great work. I have a chest and a cradle i made that I would love to show you but you do good work. I grew up working in a saw mill from the age of 9 so I know me some wood. Good Job my man...good job.

Thanks pal! I would love to see pictures of your work.

1moretoy
06-13-2014, 06:06 AM
Inor...you do great work. I mostly work with metal so my skills and lack of woodworking tools leave me classified as a beginner woodworker. You have skills.

rice paddy daddy
06-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Excellent work, Inor! Excellent!!
Woodworking has always been something I enjoy, although I haven't done any fun projects in maybe a decade.
Spending my entire working life in the building materials distribution business, I have made extensive use of packing dunnage, crates, pallets, unsaleable product etc. For example when I worked for Georgia Pacific, on the units of furniture grade plywood the forklift blades would always scuff up the bottom sheet. Even though that was the back side of the sheet, customers would not buy it. My boss sold them to me for $5. We're talking stuff like 3/4" A-1 maple!!
And you would be suprised at some of the wood that is considered "trash wood" used for pallets and crates. Lots of red oak, poplar, philipine mahogany, douglas fir, eastern white pine.
All my work is done with simple tools - 10" benchtop table saw, 7 1/2" Skilsaw, router, hand planes, etc. I have always wanted a drill press and a jointer.

Eagle1803
06-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Good work Inor, My dad does wood working also....his work is good like you.

Infidel
06-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Beautiful work Inor. I dabble in it and build things as needed but no way I could do any of that, I don't have anywhere near the patience for it. I can build what we need but it may not always be the prettiest thing.

-Infidel

Inor
06-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Excellent work, Inor! Excellent!!
Woodworking has always been something I enjoy, although I haven't done any fun projects in maybe a decade.
Spending my entire working life in the building materials distribution business, I have made extensive use of packing dunnage, crates, pallets, unsaleable product etc. For example when I worked for Georgia Pacific, on the units of furniture grade plywood the forklift blades would always scuff up the bottom sheet. Even though that was the back side of the sheet, customers would not buy it. My boss sold them to me for $5. We're talking stuff like 3/4" A-1 maple!!
And you would be suprised at some of the wood that is considered "trash wood" used for pallets and crates. Lots of red oak, poplar, philipine mahogany, douglas fir, eastern white pine.
All my work is done with simple tools - 10" benchtop table saw, 7 1/2" Skilsaw, router, hand planes, etc. I have always wanted a drill press and a jointer.

I do have far more woodworking tools than I need. But that is only because I travel so much for business. At the end of the year, I take all of my American Express travel points and trade them for AmEx gift certificates which I use to furnish my shop. But for the most part, all of those projects above could be built with a table saw, a router, a jointer's plane and a good set of bench chisels. The longer I do this, the more I like to rely only on hand tools. There is something really rewarding about spending a day in the shop without all of the noise.

Pauls
06-14-2014, 07:54 PM
It would take me forever to make the amount of sawdust using only hand tools. I would still have little of value at the end of the day - just a lot less sawdust.

rice paddy daddy
06-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Back when we had TV, one of my favorite shows was the Woodwrights Shop on PBS. The guy (I forget his name) made all sorts of projects using 18th and 19th century hand tools. He did make use of typical "power tools" of the day, such as his foot powered treadle lathe.
Anybody else watch it? Is it even still on?
Watching him hand cut dovetails was awesome. He gets a better fit by hand than I get with a router and metal template.

Inor
06-14-2014, 10:00 PM
I have heard of Woodwrights Shop, but have never watched it. But like you now, we do not watch TV.

If you like the old-school way of woodworking, check out Glen Huey:

http://woodworkersedge.wordpress.com/

He does amazing stuff. He does use modern tools, but he also reverts to a lot of the old ways. For example, I picked up on the idea to make custom scrapers for cutting detailed mouldings (without a router) from him. I used the technique to cut all of the mouldings on the audio cabinet above. I was really surprised that once I had made the profiles in the scrapers, actually cutting the mouldings was as fast as doing it with a router since I had zero setup time setting the depth of the bit and setting the fence etc. Plus, you do not need to sand them once they are cut!

Inor
06-16-2014, 02:58 AM

Holy ****, NICE work! That is a GREAT idea! That is some tough stuff working in the round, especially with the 3D round cut on the top. That is far more difficult than anything I have done! I see a HELL of a lot of sanding or scraping went into that. Nice work!

Coppertop
07-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Both of you guys do wonderful work- I am in the process of getting my new shop put together. Inor- I also have way to many tools, at least according to the GF:)

Coppertop
07-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Ha Ha That's funny. Actually she says I have to many- but tells me to keep them. She enjoys the things that come out of the woodshop- until I leave it anyway http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/images/smilies/jester.gif I seem to have a collector with hoarding tendencies thing going on when it comes to the shop.

Coppertop
07-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Now why didn't my icon work in my message? HMMMMMM

Sparkyprep
07-21-2014, 06:37 PM
I have seen that show. It was cool to watch him create something out of nothing.

Inor, you have true talent. I can build things that work, but they are ugly. You are a true craftsman.

James m
07-21-2014, 07:20 PM
I was trained as a carpenter for two years. I made my mom a cabinet for the bathroom towels when all of the other kids were fussing with spice racks.
I can do most projects from framing to cabinetry. But the one thing I absolutely hate is when something is done wrong or is imperfect. I would have liked to work new construction but couldn't find anything.

pheniox17
07-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Sexy

Reptilicus
08-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Very, very nice work Inor, you are a true craftsman!!!

Slippy
08-03-2014, 06:54 AM
My first passion is woodworking. Specifically, I like to make furniture but I also do a bit of turning. Here are a few of my projects:

A 6 board blanket chest. I made this piece with only hand tools. The sides are joined using hand cut dovetails.

A Queen Anne style audio cabinet. I did use a table saw to rip the pieces to width and cut the panels for the sides, top and back. All of the other shaping was done by hand.

Walnut barrister bookcases. These were mostly machine made. But each shelf is a separate unit. I made 6 shelf units and two tops and two bottoms. So they can be stacked with 3 and 3 units or 4 and 2 etc.

Then I have made a bunch of fixtures for my shop. Here is a workbench:

And a cart for all of my saws and table saw stuff:

I have made a bunch of other stuff too, but I do not have pictures of them - a reloading bench, all of Mrs Inor's kitchen cabinets, a couple other bookcases, etc.

Excellent!!!!!!!!
Damn Inor, you have crazy good skills. You are a true craftsman, I can only make simple cuts on big pieces of wood joining them with heavy fasteners. I am a dumb ogre and you are a finesse artist.

Arklatex
08-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Excellent!!!!!!!!
Damn Inor, you have crazy good skills. You are a true craftsman, I can only make simple cuts on big pieces of wood joining them with heavy fasteners. I am a dumb ogre and you are a finesse artist.
+1 and the pics of the shop make me jealous.

Kanman
08-03-2014, 10:05 AM
I am also a woodworker, or used to be. When we moved out here a couple years ago we sold everything, including all my shop! Killed me to do it, but had to be done. I will be up and running again some day. I loved it!

Inor
08-03-2014, 12:08 PM
I am also a woodworker, or used to be. When we moved out here a couple years ago we sold everything, including all my shop! Killed me to do it, but had to be done. I will be up and running again some day. I loved it!

Post some photos. I LOVE looking at other guys' work. Old SF Guy does some really nice work too.

omegabrock
08-03-2014, 12:16 PM
so, the wife is studying for her CPA now and one of the first things i plan on doing is taking some woodworking classes (need her promotion to afford daycare for lil man). im pretty decent with wood working but i would still classify myself a beginner. i would love to have some formal knowledge. great work and great pictures.

Kanman
08-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Well I tried to download a few pics for you Inor, but can't figure out how to do it.

Pauls
08-04-2014, 01:19 PM

This is a bench for my lathe. The four legs are 4x4s and the 2x4s are dado'd into place, glued and screwed from the back so no fasteners show. It will have six drawers with full extension drawer roller slides. The top is 3 layers of 1/2" OSB laminated and a hardboard top glued in place. At the foot of each leg is a "T" nut with a 3/8" carriage bolt for leveling.

Inor
08-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Very nice Paul! One additional suggestion if it is not too late, dado in a shelf at the very bottom of the legs so you can add sand bags for additional weight. Then you can do off-center turnings too. So of those are really cool!

Pauls
08-05-2014, 02:17 PM
My lathe is a metal lathe - I don't work well with wood, but I can make anything out of metal. I did design and build the benches for my shop, but the photographs are very forgiving. No bottom shelf as I have to be able to clean under the lathe - metal curls can be dangerous.

Sasquatch
08-07-2016, 01:59 AM
I can't believe I've been on OTP and just now found this thread. Guess I should look around a little more.

Although I am just a beginner I love woodworking. Almost every piece of furniture I own was made by me.

Here's a few pieces I've made...

Dresser Drawer with hidden opening top

My stab at an adirondack chair

I also make hiking/walking sticks

OSFG
08-07-2016, 02:10 AM
I can't believe I've been on OTP and just now found this thread. Guess I should look around a little more.

Although I am just a beginner I love woodworking. Almost every piece of furniture I own was made by me.

Here's a few pieces I've made...

Dresser Drawer with hidden opening top

My stab at an adirondack chair

I also make hiking/walking sticks

thats awesome work sasq...is the top shelf a hidden shelf seperate from the first drawer? it looks so...

kewl...

Sasquatch
08-07-2016, 03:58 AM
thats awesome work sasq...is the top shelf a hidden shelf seperate from the first drawer? it looks so...

kewl...

Yep. Kinda a hidden nook for watches, knives or whatever.

Gambit
08-08-2016, 10:17 AM
that's some good looking art

Inor
08-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Nice work Squatch!

S.....P......
08-08-2016, 11:53 AM
That's some good looking work Squach. That role of cope holding the lid open made me reach for my can. I realy need to quit but that's another conversation.

MrsInor
08-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Any of those walking sticks for sale?

Sasquatch
08-08-2016, 01:24 PM
Any of those walking sticks for sale?
I use to sell them on a site called Etsy. I only have a couple left but I'd be happy to send you some pics if you're interested.

Sent from Tapatalk (aka Uranus, not to be confused with the Anus' at Survivalist Board)

MrsInor
08-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Hey Inor - I want one of Sasquatch's beating - I mean walking sticks.

Inor
08-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Hey Inor - I want one of Sasquatch's beating - I mean walking sticks.

So buy one...

Sasquatch
02-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Here's my cabinet/fish tank stand. It's made entirely out of pallets and reclaimed wood. Only wood I purchased was the 4x4 posts. Was going for sort of a Bohemian look.

inceptor
02-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Woodworking is something I love but am not very good at it. Oh, I can build and rough in some things but the finished, quality end of it I'm no good at. Benches, shelves, repair work sort of things I'm decent at but not the other.

I'm finally starting to get some quality tools. I need to take some classes at Woodcraft. When I retire this is something I hope to focus on.

Slippy
02-04-2017, 07:47 PM
My barn table made from pieces of salvaged wood from a torn down fence and some left over 2X and 6x6 treated pieces. The damn thing weighs 150 lbs I think!

To get a perspective on the size of this sumbitch, see the tow hitch mounted cargo carrier in the background

Inor
02-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Here's my cabinet/fish tank stand. It's made entirely out of pallets and reclaimed wood. Only wood I purchased was the 4x4 posts. Was going for sort of a Bohemian look.

Nice!

Inor
02-04-2017, 09:29 PM
My barn table made from pieces of salvaged wood from a torn down fence and some left over 2X and 6x6 treated pieces. The damn thing weighs 150 lbs I think!

To get a perspective on the size of this sumbitch, see the tow hitch mounted cargo carrier in the background

That's a beast!

Sasquatch
02-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Woodworking is something I love but am not very good at it. Oh, I can build and rough in some things but the finished, quality end of it I'm no good at. Benches, shelves, repair work sort of things I'm decent at but not the other.

I'm finally starting to get some quality tools. I need to take some classes at Woodcraft. When I retire this is something I hope to focus on.

You'd be amazed at the tricks and tips you can learn on YouTube.

inceptor
02-04-2017, 10:35 PM

I've done that from time to time but yeah, I need to watch more. Right now I've got some preps I'm working on and need to finish quickly. I'm making some waist high raised bed gardens. The first one is fashioned after this. It will be strictly for lettuce and assorted types.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/salad-bar-garden/8587087.html

Next I'll be building 2 waist high raised beds that will be 12-16 inches deep for other veggies. I will also be starting all these plants from seeds so this is going to be an adventure.

I own 2 routers but have never learned how to use one. I also have my eye on a Dewalt table saw that folds done since my room here is extremely limited. Right now all I have is portable saws.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Table-Saw/50040968

Sasquatch
02-04-2017, 11:35 PM
I've done that from time to time but yeah, I need to watch more. Right now I've got some preps I'm working on and need to finish quickly. I'm making some waist high raised bed gardens. The first one is fashioned after this. It will be strictly for lettuce and assorted types.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/salad-bar-garden/8587087.html

Next I'll be building 2 waist high raised beds that will be 12-16 inches deep for other veggies. I will also be starting all these plants from seeds so this is going to be an adventure.

I own 2 routers but have never learned how to use one. I also have my eye on a Dewalt table saw that folds done since my room here is extremely limited. Right now all I have is portable saws.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Table-Saw/50040968

Routers are easy once you figure out how to position the blades where you need them. The guide does most of the work. just be ready when you touch that blade onto wood. If you're not holding tight she'll be gone. And wear eye protection. Those thing spit like no ones business.

Inor
02-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Do not waste the money on a router table. Get yourself a cheap hole saw about 2 1/4" diameter and a quarter sheet of good 3/4" plywood. Use the hole saw to punch a hole in the middle of the plywood. Remove the glide plate from the router and drill holes in the plywood to mount the router to it. Hang the router upside down from the plywood between a pair of saw horses. Use a straight board as a fence and a couple of clamps to position it where you need it. It is far safer and far more accurate than trying to hand route anything.

The only other tricky bit with routers is figuring out the feed rate for your wood. That is tricky because it is different for each species of wood. With maple, you need to go pretty fast because it will burn otherwise. With cherry or walnut if you go too fast, it will tear out. For your first few projects, buy a little extra stock just to experiment.

The only other bit of advice I can give is do not skimp on your tablesaw. That is the most important tool in your shop.

RubberDuck
02-05-2017, 08:29 AM
Awsome work

Slippy
02-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Great job Sasq! You got some skills!

Infidel
02-05-2017, 09:02 AM

I watch Paul Sellers pretty regularly, that guy does amazing work and uses almost entirely hand tools.

-Infidel

Sasquatch
02-05-2017, 02:18 PM
I watch Paul Sellers pretty regularly, that guy does amazing work and uses almost entirely hand tools.

-Infidel

Using just hand tools is impressive and takes a lot more patience than i have.

inceptor
02-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Do not waste the money on a router table. Get yourself a cheap hole saw about 2 1/4" diameter and a quarter sheet of good 3/4" plywood. Use the hole saw to punch a hole in the middle of the plywood. Remove the glide plate from the router and drill holes in the plywood to mount the router to it. Hang the router upside down from the plywood between a pair of saw horses. Use a straight board as a fence and a couple of clamps to position it where you need it. It is far safer and far more accurate than trying to hand route anything.

The only other tricky bit with routers is figuring out the feed rate for your wood. That is tricky because it is different for each species of wood. With maple, you need to go pretty fast because it will burn otherwise. With cherry or walnut if you go too fast, it will tear out. For your first few projects, buy a little extra stock just to experiment.

The only other bit of advice I can give is do not skimp on your tablesaw. That is the most important tool in your shop.

Practice is what I intend to do. Quite a number of years ago I bought a router table top along with an Incra router fence. Got both on sale and they are still new in the box. Learning how is what I will focus on when I have the time.

Ditto with the Kreg stuff I own and haven't used yet. I have tendency to buy stuff I want when there is a really good sale.

For Christmas I got a Dewalt DEWALT DW682K 6.5 Amp Plate Joiner. I've wanted one of those for a long time. I have a project for later in the spring I intend to use it on.

Room to work in is the first thing I need and then time to learn the equipment. I'm working again on the room right now. Up to this point every time I've made room in my garage it got filled up again with stuff. Not this time, I've cleared out and thrown away or condensed stuff so I'm finally getting some room.

I wish I had the room for a full blown table saw but I don't. What I'm looking at and posted above is a quality contractor grade saw that folds up nicely. Hopefully some time this summer. Sooner if it goes on sale. What I really want is a Saw Stop brand but that's WAY out of what I can afford.

A Watchman
02-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Nice work here guys, I haven't made anything from wood in years, but have made a couple beds with a detailed bookcase/headboard and several book cases in the past. Seems these days I just make shelving.

inceptor
02-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Nice work here guys, I haven't made anything from wood in years, but have made a couple beds with a detailed bookcase/headboard and several book cases in the past. Seems these days I just make shelving.

Shelving and benches is what I mostly make. I have at least 2 more shelves to make to get more stuff out of the way. This is after I make my garden beds.

Inor
02-06-2017, 12:33 AM
Practice is what I intend to do. Quite a number of years ago I bought a router table top along with an Incra router fence. Got both on sale and they are still new in the box. Learning how is what I will focus on when I have the time.

Ditto with the Kreg stuff I own and haven't used yet. I have tendency to buy stuff I want when there is a really good sale.

For Christmas I got a Dewalt DEWALT DW682K 6.5 Amp Plate Joiner. I've wanted one of those for a long time. I have a project for later in the spring I intend to use it on.

Room to work in is the first thing I need and then time to learn the equipment. I'm working again on the room right now. Up to this point every time I've made room in my garage it got filled up again with stuff. Not this time, I've cleared out and thrown away or condensed stuff so I'm finally getting some room.

I wish I had the room for a full blown table saw but I don't. What I'm looking at and posted above is a quality contractor grade saw that folds up nicely. Hopefully some time this summer. Sooner if it goes on sale. What I really want is a Saw Stop brand but that's WAY out of what I can afford.

That Incra router fence is the greatest thing ever made for your router. I have one and absolutely LOVE it! The positive stops every 1/32 inch make it REALLY easy to cut just about any joint that can be cut on a router.

And quit making excuses for not having room for a full-blown cabinet saw! The wife can park her car in the driveway or the street. We have not had a car in the garage since 1995. :biglaugh:

Just do not do what I did first off and try to learn with cheap #2 pine. All you will do is get frustrated. Find some cheap oak or other hardwood. Old shipping pallets are a good cheap source. Practice with that. Trying to do any kind of fine woodworking with pine is just an exercise in frustration if it is anything below select grade and then you are paying as much as you do for good maple or oak.

inceptor
02-06-2017, 06:59 AM
That Incra router fence is the greatest thing ever made for your router. I have one and absolutely LOVE it! The positive stops every 1/32 inch make it REALLY easy to cut just about any joint that can be cut on a router.

And quit making excuses for not having room for a full-blown cabinet saw! The wife can park her car in the driveway or the street. We have not had a car in the garage since 1995. :biglaugh:

Just do not do what I did first off and try to learn with cheap #2 pine. All you will do is get frustrated. Find some cheap oak or other hardwood. Old shipping pallets are a good cheap source. Practice with that. Trying to do any kind of fine woodworking with pine is just an exercise in frustration if it is anything below select grade and then you are paying as much as you do for good maple or oak.

I wish I could blame it on the wife. The only time she ever parked in the garage was when I lived in Colorado. The pile in the garage has been a combination of our stuff and family stuff. All the family stuff is gone now. I have tossed a bunch of my stuff and are condensing other stuff. Attic space is quite limited. I have to get creative on where and how I store stuff. 2 work benches and 2 tool boxes. 1 area is storage and ham gear that also has the TV for when I want to watch the news.

Much of the work I do for the time being is outside the garage. Right now my building project is the salad bar. I got the frame cut up this weekend. I don't have corner clamps to put it together, they'll be here tomorrow. I have to pick up the screws I need to put it together at Loews. I'm gonna need 3 1/2" deck screws. My #1 priority is my garden preps.

I forgot to add I also have a grow system in the garage. This is what I have. We did the 3 shelf system with the bottom extended up.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/stack-n-grow-light-system/8590134RS.html#start=1

Once everything is started, this system stores quite nicely.

Sasquatch
07-10-2018, 01:47 AM
Don't think this qualifies as "wood working" since I only stained the wood and attached it to the frame.

This is my first stab at welding though. Spent some quality time with the Old Man and he taught me some pointers from his former profession. I learned really quick to appreciate the work he does/did. It takes a skilled touch to weld.

The top is Birch butchers block and the shelf is birch I beat on for a little while to give it a weathered look (which the pictures really don't show).

Inor
07-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Don't think this qualifies as "wood working" since I only stained the wood and attached it to the frame.

This is my first stab at welding though. Spent some quality time with the Old Man and he taught me some pointers from his former profession. I learned really quick to appreciate the work he does/did. It takes a skilled touch to weld.

The top is Birch butchers block and the shelf is birch I beat on for a little while to give it a weathered look (which the pictures really don't show).

Nice work!

Yes, welding is an art all to itself.

sigmund
07-14-2018, 07:39 PM

I generally dont like dewalt tools, that being said the dewalt portable table saw is the best one out there. If you need a portable table saw you cant go wrong with it. I have ripped many a 2x treated with it and it just goes on. Have built slightly primitive cabinets with it no problem. If you dont have a full blown shop and need to move it, its the best for the job.

inceptor
07-14-2018, 09:47 PM
I generally dont like dewalt tools, that being said the dewalt portable table saw is the best one out there. If you need a portable table saw you cant go wrong with it. I have ripped many a 2x treated with it and it just goes on. Have built slightly primitive cabinets with it no problem. If you dont have a full blown shop and need to move it, its the best for the job.

I ended up getting the SawStop contractor grade. It folds up nicely and fits in my mess. I've used it a couple of times now and what a sweet saw. Plus this is the one the wife wanted me to get. Who am I to argue???

sigmund
07-14-2018, 10:33 PM
Well I never cut my hand or a hotdog, but your right. She rules.

Inor
07-15-2018, 12:24 AM
I ended up getting the SawStop contractor grade. It folds up nicely and fits in my mess. I've used it a couple of times now and what a sweet saw. Plus this is the one the wife wanted me to get. Who am I to argue???

Congrats boyo! Welcome to the addiction.

Now that you have a nice new saw that is accurate and true, go to Homie Despot and buy a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" birch plywood -not the cheap shit. It will cost you about $50 but you want something that does not have a lot of imperfections on the face. Then take it home and make some perfectly square boxes for your shop. Store nails in one, screws in another, your Playboy collection from high school in another; I don't care. Those boxes are your jig for making perfect 90 degree corners. It is MUCH easier to clamp a part to the side of a plywood box using a plain old F-clamp than using stupid corner clamps. Plus, F-clamps are much stronger.

You da mang!

inceptor
07-15-2018, 12:59 AM
Congrats boyo! Welcome to the addiction.

Now that you have a nice new saw that is accurate and true, go to Homie Despot and buy a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" birch plywood -not the cheap shit. It will cost you about $50 but you want something that does not have a lot of imperfections on the face. Then take it home and make some perfectly square boxes for your shop. Store nails in one, screws in another, your Playboy collection from high school in another; I don't care. Those boxes are your jig for making perfect 90 degree corners. It is MUCH easier to clamp a part to the side of a plywood box using a plain old F-clamp than using stupid corner clamps. Plus, F-clamps are much stronger.

You da mang!

I retired as of June 30th.

Already have some Birch. Got it on sale at Rocklers. One of the projects I'll eventually get to is a wall mounted cabinet/box for my hand planes. That's why I bought the Birch. It's gonna be a bit before I get started though, damn it's hot in Texas right now.

But you're right. Both Home Depot and Lowes are close by so I'll probably be getting my wood from there. I'll be going small and slow for a while until I get decent at this. I already have a number of projects in mind. One is Paul Seller's work bench.

Sasquatch
07-15-2018, 03:13 AM
Got a hand plane and some wood chisels from my Grandfather when he passed away. Still haven't found the right project tot use them though. One day soon though.