PDA

View Full Version : The Legalities Of Lock Picking Tools

hawgrider
01-25-2017, 10:52 AM
U.S. Legality of Lock Picking Tools
A very high majority of US states allow the purchase and utilization of lock picks and current burglary statistics present that only 4% of home burglaries in the US are credited to some degree of lock manipulation.

However, this all being said, there are still laws and regulations that can apply when purchasing and owning a set of lock picks that anyone considering the craft should be aware of.
https://besurvival.com/guides/the-legalities-of-lock-picking-tools

juskom95
01-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Funny, very funny. Some of those laws are so vague I could make the argument a screwdriver is a 'Lockpicking Tool'

Arklatex
01-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Lots of car theives carry a whole set of bump keys. I wonder if you got pulled over and a cop somehow saw lockpicking tools in your vehicle. Would that give them probable cause for a search?

juskom95
01-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Lots of car theives carry a whole set of bump keys. I wonder if you got pulled over and a cop somehow saw lockpicking tools in your vehicle. Would that give them probable cause for a search?

I could make the case on the belief that a crime was 'about' to happen.

I used to keep a set on me when I was in the Army, because 'fools' would always loose the keys to their radios and getting a bolt cutter in there was a PIA. Easier to use a pick gun and pop the lock open.

Arklatex
01-25-2017, 12:37 PM
I've got a basic set and can open older deadbolts, file cabinets, cheapo lockboxes and certain types of padlocks. But the new locks and certain padlocks... it would be easier and quicker to just try and force my way through. I'd bet one of those pick guns makes it much easier.

juskom95
01-25-2017, 12:59 PM
I've got a basic set and can open older deadbolts, file cabinets, cheapo lockboxes and certain types of padlocks. But the new locks and certain padlocks... it would be easier and quicker to just try and force my way through. I'd bet one of those pick guns makes it much easier.

That is why I bought it. I'm absolutely horrible at picking locks, but a pick gun makes it much easier. The basic ones (like on metal lockers) I can usually 'pop' in quickly, but the hardened padlocks? Hit & miss on those.

I am out of practice now though. I kind of want to get one of those 'lock picking' trainers again. Right now I probably couldn't even get a diary open!

Dwight55
01-25-2017, 05:07 PM
I think we ^^^^^ are in the same boat.

Have not used mine in so long, . . . not even sure where it is any more.

Probably could find it if I needed it though, . . . but like was said earlier, . . . probably worth while to just force my ugly self in, . . . clean it up later.

May God bless,
Dwight

Deebo
01-26-2017, 07:27 AM
OMG, you guys just let all the criminals that there are lock picks available out there.
Crime rate will skyrocket now...
I have never tried to pick a lock, but have had some success with the shim style of opening padlocks.
By far, not any experience thou.

Inor
01-26-2017, 07:34 AM
If you get a small set without plastic handles, they fit discreetly inside a folded up Gerber multi-tool. I have carried mine across several international borders and never had an issue. Just sayin'...