PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for spring planting

Baglady
02-10-2017, 11:49 AM
So we've put lime and 3 yr old chicken chit on our gardens, done some tilling.
My big guy built this awesome lettuce cart for us. We used to use a wheelbarrow, but it broke.
We have to be able to move the lettuce under a shade tree in the afternoons, so voila!

Gambit
02-10-2017, 12:41 PM
question
long we on spring garden
can i use a small percentage of old wood ash to replace lime to help grow corn and cucumbers? or they don't need a high acidic soil
sorry i hijacked the tread baglady. make you feel better i shall stay in the kiddie pool for a whole 2 minutes with out TV as punishment

Broncosfan
02-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Nice idea. I have awhile before the weather breaks but I will start my seeds very soon. Onion plants are ordered. Garlic looks to have done very well through the winter

hag
02-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Looks awesome baglady.

inceptor
02-11-2017, 01:16 AM
My big guy built this awesome lettuce cart for us. We used to use a wheelbarrow, but it broke.
We have to be able to move the lettuce under a shade tree in the afternoons, so voila!

I hope to finish my lettuce "cart" this weekend.

Baglady
02-11-2017, 08:53 PM
question
long we on spring garden
can i use a small percentage of old wood ash to replace lime to help grow corn and cucumbers? or they don't need a high acidic soil
sorry i hijacked the tread baglady. make you feel better i shall stay in the kiddie pool for a whole 2 minutes with out TV as punishment

I have put wood ash in our gardens and not had any problem. I would think if it's an area that is planted every year it would benefit from it.
I think cucumbers will grow out of earwax and toe cheese! :D They seem to be real hardy for me anyway.
We don't buy soil testers for PH balance an all that.
So I don't know how acidic the soil is or isnt.
We just follow a few simple rules. Rotate crops like tomatoes every two years, and put the shit, or any other goodies we come by in the soil.

Baglady
02-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Nice idea. I have awhile before the weather breaks but I will start my seeds very soon. Onion plants are ordered. Garlic looks to have done very well through the winter

I hear you. My Mom's in NE Ohio. I've tried growing garlic and failed. Got any tips? Maybe it gets too hot here?

Baglady
02-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Looks awesome baglady.

Thanks. He's my favorite carpenter! ;)

Baglady
02-11-2017, 08:59 PM
I hope to finish my lettuce "cart" this weekend.

Are you really making one too? Post a pic when your done.

Inor
02-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Mrs Inor got some pretty cool planters this year for tomatoes. They look like heavy canvas bags, complete with handles and everything. But they have a round bottom and look like they are treated to retain the water. They are about 18 inches in diameter and maybe about 20 inches deep. They were cheap as hell - maybe $4-$6 each. If they work, we will get a bunch more for next year.

P.S. I went into Tucson today to see my mom and it was already 85 there! Where we live it was "only" about 75. So I think spring has sprung in the desert south-west.

Baglady
02-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Mrs Inor got some pretty cool planters this year for tomatoes. They look like heavy canvas bags, complete with handles and everything. But they have a round bottom and look like they are treated to retain the water. They are about 18 inches in diameter and maybe about 20 inches deep. They were cheap as hell - maybe $4-$6 each. If they work, we will get a bunch more for next year.

P.S. I went into Tucson today to see my mom and it was already 85 there! Where we live it was "only" about 75. So I think spring has sprung in the desert south-west.

That sounds great. Your going to be ahead of the rest of us with gardening this year. Don't forget some pepper plants. I see Salsa in your future!

Inor
02-11-2017, 09:25 PM
That sounds great. Your going to be ahead of the rest of us with gardening this year. Don't forget some pepper plants. I see Salsa in your future!

Mrs Inor has started over 40 pepper plants! I have no idea what she plans on doing with all of the peppers. When we were in MN our peppers were very prolific. I can just imagine how many peppers each plant is going to produce here.

MrsInor
02-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Mrs Inor has started over 40 pepper plants! I have no idea what she plans on doing with all of the peppers. When we were in MN our peppers were very prolific. I can just imagine how many peppers each plant is going to produce here.

Fifteen pepper plants as in 15. Six tomato plants. Sheesh - please don't try counting when beered.

Inor
02-11-2017, 09:40 PM
My mistake. (I swear she told me 40 earlier this afternoon.)

Baglady
02-11-2017, 10:07 PM
That's still alot of pepper. What kinds are you growing?

TJC44
02-11-2017, 11:03 PM
So, are you saying that your peppers were prolific in St. Paul?
:bounce:

Baglady
02-11-2017, 11:10 PM
So, are you saying that your peppers were prolific in St. Paul?
:bounce:

I'm not stepping in that. But just a tip, if you want a response, (reply with quote).
Not an english major? We offer these instructions in 3 languages...:mocking:

TJC44
02-11-2017, 11:22 PM
I'm not stepping in that. But just a tip, if you want a response, (reply with quote).
Not an english major? We offer these instructions in 3 languages...:mocking:

Yes, Ms. Moderator

TJC44
02-11-2017, 11:24 PM
My mistake. (I swear she told me 40 earlier this afternoon.)

She did. I heard her.
Of course she'll say I was drinking too.

TJC44
02-12-2017, 12:01 AM

O.k. stupid question time, but at least I'm returning to the OP, why would one move lettuce under a shade tree?

Baglady
02-12-2017, 12:08 AM
O.k. stupid question time, but at least I'm returning to the OP, why would one move lettuce under a shade tree?

Well, uh, who likes sweaty lettuce? :p

Seriously tho, it gets too hot in the afternoon sun. Wilts and kills it. Our weather is so unpredictable we have to get creative if we want the fruits of our labors.

TJC44
02-12-2017, 12:12 AM
Well, uh, who likes sweaty lettuce? :p

Seriously tho, it gets too hot in the afternoon sun. Wilts and kills it. Our weather is so unpredictable we have to get creative if we want the fruits of our labors.

Maybe you're working it too hard.

Baglady
02-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Maybe you're working it too hard.

:bounce::bounce:

Broncosfan
02-12-2017, 07:04 AM
Baglady You didn't say why the garlic was a failure. Did it rot, just not grow large enough? Garlic planted in the fall does a lot better than spring garlic. Raised beds are also a lot better with good soil. I use thin plastic roll mulch which help control weeds. I also us a piece of wood lattice to space my garlic. When planting I add a small amount of organic fertilizer in the hole before planting. I don't know it wouldn't grow in NE Ohio I'm in SE Ohio and it does well. Might also be the kind of garlic.

hawgrider
02-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Baglady You didn't say why the garlic was a failure. Did it rot, just not grow large enough? Garlic planted in the fall does a lot better than spring garlic. Raised beds are also a lot better with good soil. I use thin plastic roll mulch which help control weeds. I also us a piece of wood lattice to space my garlic. When planting I add a small amount of organic fertilizer in the hole before planting. I don't know it wouldn't grow in NE Ohio I'm in SE Ohio and it does well. Might also be the kind of garlic.

Yup I was always taught to plant garlic in the fall. I've been growing the same strain for 26 years. Some tricks are if you harvest the scapes before they seed the cloves will grow bigger. I always let a couple of the biggest garlic plants go to flower so I have seed for fall.

They say if you plant the clove in the fall instead of the seed you will get even bigger garlic cloves. Although I have no proof of that yet.... I did do this last fall for the first time so I will see how that goes.

Broncosfan
02-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Yup I was always taught to plant garlic in the fall. I've been growing the same strain for 26 years. Some tricks are if you harvest the scapes before they seed the cloves will grow bigger. I always let a couple of the biggest garlic plants go to flower so I have seed for fall.

They say if you plant the clove in the fall instead of the seed you will get even bigger garlic cloves. Although I have no proof of that yet.... I did do this last fall for the first time so I will see how that goes.

Hawgrider Good information. I forgot about cutting the scapes which I always do. I dried them this year for another spice. I have never saved garlic seed only planted cloves. I also think garlic does better if you purchase you stock cloves local instead of mail order from another part of the country. I have seen a difference in mail order and local. I also think it adapts to your conditions if you save you own to replant.

hawgrider
02-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Hawgrider Good information. I forgot about cutting the scapes which I always do. I dried them this year for another spice. I have never saved garlic seed only planted cloves. I also think garlic does better if you purchase you stock cloves local instead of mail order from another part of the country. I have seen a difference in mail order and local. I also think it adapts to your conditions if you save you own to replant.I had this same garlic given to me by an old neighbor 26 or so years ago been growing it since.

He always said eat whats in the ground and plant whats on top. I've done that ever since. But I read an article a while back that said you can also like you do plant the cloves. I did both seed and clove last fall so the race is on.

Baglady
02-12-2017, 09:40 PM

I planted about 3 cloves in a large flower pot. I don't recall what time of year, but I left it alone for around 9 months or more. The leaves came up and grew tall, but when I pulled one out, there was no bulb of garlic. Just the clove I had planted.
Where were you living in the NE part of Ohio?

Baglady
02-12-2017, 09:41 PM

What's a scape?

inceptor
02-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Baglady, the picture will have to wait until next week. I didn't get it finished. Oh well, next weekend is a 3 day weekend for me.

Baglady
02-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Baglady, the picture will have to wait until next week. I didn't get it finished. Oh well, next weekend is a 3 day weekend for me.

I look forward to seeing what you've come up with!

inceptor
02-12-2017, 10:10 PM

This is where I got the idea. It will be a heavier variation of this.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/salad-bar-garden/8587087.html

Baglady
02-12-2017, 10:27 PM
This is where I got the idea. It will be a heavier variation of this.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/salad-bar-garden/8587087.html

That will be a nice one. Ours is made out of cedar too. We cut several cedars years ago and had them milled for lumber.
Are you going to put casters on yours so you can move it?

azrancher
02-12-2017, 11:58 PM
I went into Tucson today to see my mom and it was already 85 there! Where we live it was "only" about 75. So I think spring has sprung in the desert south-west.Sure, it's just going to get hotter here, go ahead and plant that garden... Oh by the way, about 5 years ago in late February I recorded a 0 (zero) degree day at my place took me 4 hours to tent and with Mr. Heaters to thaw out the well pumps and pressure tank it never got above freezing...

Oh, and by the way it almost always snows here on Easter. If it doesn't it's because of Global Warming...

Rancher

Inor
02-13-2017, 12:22 AM
Just because you get a little snow and a day or two of chilly weather, does not mean it is not spring. :biglaugh:

Actually, I think we were down there right after that cold snap. We took a vacation to the Sunsites area in February about 5 years ago. The week we were there it was real nice, highs in the 80's and 90's. But the week before we got there they said it was below zero. A lot of folks had to replace copper pipes because they split. (Ya'll have to remember to run a small trickle of water from your faucets when it gets that cold and you do not have your pipes insulated. It does not take much, just enough to keep the water moving.)

Sasquatch
02-13-2017, 02:20 AM

That's pretty sweet! Looks about the size of my entire garden. I don't grow a lot but it's enough for my needs. Just made a batch of salsa today using nothing but veggies from my garden. Also cleaned out my garden today and planted a few new things.

I really like that cart though. If I ever get the room imma build one of those.

hawgrider
02-13-2017, 04:19 AM
What's a scape?Top of the garlic shute curls before it flowers. Called a garlic scape. Tasty treat when harvested.

Broncosfan
02-13-2017, 05:03 AM
I'm in SE Ohio. about 40 minutes south of Interstate 70. I don't know what happened with your garlic. I'm still a little new planting but so far have done very well. I have at least 5 lbs of different varieties planted now. Its worth trying again if you like garlic. Do you grow it now in the south?

Baglady
02-13-2017, 10:03 PM
I'm in SE Ohio. about 40 minutes south of Interstate 70. I don't know what happened with your garlic. I'm still a little new planting but so far have done very well. I have at least 5 lbs of different varieties planted now. Its worth trying again if you like garlic. Do you grow it now in the south?

I know other people have grown it here. Maybe the bulbs I got were no good.
Before, I was asking you where you were when you lived in the NE part of Ohio? That's where I'm from originally.

Baglady
02-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Top of the garlic shute curls before it flowers. Called a garlic scape. Tasty treat when harvested.

Ahh I see. Thanks.

Baglady
02-13-2017, 10:08 PM
That's pretty sweet! Looks about the size of my entire garden. I don't grow a lot but it's enough for my needs. Just made a batch of salsa today using nothing but veggies from my garden. Also cleaned out my garden today and planted a few new things.

I really like that cart though. If I ever get the room imma build one of those.

You were pretty busy doing all that! Nothing like home made salsa.
Good thing about garden carts, you can park it like a car. Just use your neighbors parking spot!

Broncosfan
02-14-2017, 04:59 AM
I know other people have grown it here. Maybe the bulbs I got were no good.
Before, I was asking you where you were when you lived in the NE part of Ohio? That's where I'm from originally.

Sorry for the miscommunication I have never lived in NE Ohio.

Baglady
02-14-2017, 10:59 PM
Sorry for the miscommunication I have never lived in NE Ohio.

Well then, never mind. :biglaugh:

inceptor
02-21-2017, 08:55 PM

My plan was to have it finished by this past weekend. I got lazy and didn't get much done at all. But it's getting closer. I got the sides cut tonight. Later this week I'll be putting down hardware cloth, putting the sides on and laying in the landscape cloth.

Well, I took the shot upright and it's upright on my computer. Sorry about that.

To answer another question you asked, I just decided to put it on wheels and bought the wheels Saturday. The next shot hopefully will be the finished product.

Baglady
02-21-2017, 10:44 PM
My plan was to have it finished by this past weekend. I got lazy and didn't get much done at all. But it's getting closer. I got the sides cut tonight. Later this week I'll be putting down hardware cloth, putting the sides on and laying in the landscape cloth.

Well, I took the shot upright and it's upright on my computer. Sorry about that.

To answer another question you asked, I just decided to put it on wheels and bought the wheels Saturday. The next shot hopefully will be the finished product.

I like that. You have been busy. I see you used some old privacy fence for the support on the bottom. Are you going to bring the sides up even with the 4x4' s? Looks good. We didn't think about using hardware cloth for the bottom. We had built a cedar table top years ago, and never finished it, so we turned it upside down, cut it to our desired width, and used the rest for the sides.
I like your idea better than the holes Hubby drilled for drainage. :thumb:

inceptor
02-23-2017, 06:20 PM
It turns out I bought chicken wire, thought I got this off the hardware cloth rack. Oh well, it works. Now I just gotta put in the landscape cloth and then the dirt. Depth is 7"

Sparkyprep
02-23-2017, 06:28 PM
It turns out I bought chicken wire, thought I got this off the hardware cloth rack. Oh well, it works. Now I just gotta put in the landscape cloth and then the dirt. Depth is 7"

I notice you are using cedar where the wood contacts the dirt, and pressure treated where it doesn't. Is there a reason that you can't just use all pressure treated? It is a lot less expensive. Does the pressure treated leach anything into the soil?

inceptor
02-23-2017, 07:59 PM
I notice you are using cedar where the wood contacts the dirt, and pressure treated where it doesn't. Is there a reason that you can't just use all pressure treated? It is a lot less expensive. Does the pressure treated leach anything into the soil?

No other reason other than all the plans I saw were cedar. I used pressure treated for the rest due to it's being outdoors. Can pressure treated be used in it's place? I don't know. I'm new at this. Pressure treated is cheaper and would be better for the larger one I want to build.

Slippy
02-23-2017, 08:11 PM
Slippy Like!!!!!!

inceptor
02-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Slippy Like!!!!!!

Thanks Slippy, that's appreciated.

Baglady
02-24-2017, 12:47 PM

I think it will support the dirt with chicken wire. So what kind(s) of lettuce will you plant?

Baglady
02-24-2017, 12:51 PM

I've wondered about that too. Our's is all cedar except the front legs. I know it's not safe for say a dog or kid to drop food onto a pressure treated deck, then pick it up and eat it. It contains formaldehyde.

inceptor
02-24-2017, 08:35 PM
I think it will support the dirt with chicken wire. So what kind(s) of lettuce will you plant?

I'm starting with Romaine and Buttercrunch.

I've wondered about that too. Our's is all cedar except the front legs. I know it's not safe for say a dog or kid to drop food onto a pressure treated deck, then pick it up and eat it. It contains formaldehyde.

Well, that answered that question.

Slippy
02-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Actually, for many years a wood preservative commonly called CCA (Chromated Copper Arsenate) was used to pressure treat Southern Yellow Pine for exterior uses like decks and such. It was good shit and it worked extremely well.

Then evil socialist dumbasses from the EPA, motivated by liberal groups who wanted to protect "the children" latched on to the cause to eliminate CCA from being used as a wood preservative. The reality is (chemically speaking) if a small child ate 10,000 pounds of southern yellow pine treated with CCA, it would kill the child.

The complicit media, the liberal anti-freedom courts and weak republican RINO's caved under pressure and got rid of CCA.

The most common product now used to treat wood is ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary). ACQ is not nearly as good as CCA and still, if a small child were to eat 10,000 pounds of wood treated with ACQ he would still die.

But the libs were satisfied and we have an inferior exterior product.

Thanks EPA

Most common wood glues contain formaldehyde, two that were pretty common were Phenol Formaldehyde and Urea Formaldehyde used in products like Particleboard and OSB. And yes, small children should not eat it but its OK for all Muslimes to eat as much as they want.

Arklatex
02-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Learn something new everyday. Thanks Slippy!

Slippy
02-25-2017, 02:20 PM
My favorite college professor, Dr E. Smith (PHD Forestry and Forest Products Auburn University Rest in Peace Dr Smith) started every class with the following;

"Keep Wood inside where it belongs!"

Learn something new everyday. Thanks Slippy!

Baglady
02-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Actually, for many years a wood preservative commonly called CCA (Chromated Copper Arsenate) was used to pressure treat Southern Yellow Pine for exterior uses like decks and such. It was good shit and it worked extremely well.

Then evil socialist dumbasses from the EPA, motivated by liberal groups who wanted to protect "the children" latched on to the cause to eliminate CCA from being used as a wood preservative. The reality is (chemically speaking) if a small child ate 10,000 pounds of southern yellow pine treated with CCA, it would kill the child.

The complicit media, the liberal anti-freedom courts and weak republican RINO's caved under pressure and got rid of CCA.

The most common product now used to treat wood is ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary). ACQ is not nearly as good as CCA and still, if a small child were to eat 10,000 pounds of wood treated with ACQ he would still die.

But the libs were satisfied and we have an inferior exterior product.

Thanks EPA

Most common wood glues contain formaldehyde, two that were pretty common were Phenol Formaldehyde and Urea Formaldehyde used in products like Particleboard and OSB. And yes, small children should not eat it but its OK for all Muslimes to eat as much as they want.

Thanks Slippy. It must have been the arsonic I was thinking about. (Formaldahyde; A little "pickeling" never hurt anyone! ;)

Baglady
02-28-2017, 11:38 PM
I'm starting with Romaine and Buttercrunch.

Well, that answered that question.

Love Romaine. I plant a mix of leaf lettuce. Comes in the pack that way. It's got the green leaf, red leaf, arugula, and i think it even has chicory? Not sure. I'll be planting ours in the next couple of days.
Did you finish your cart?

inceptor
03-01-2017, 06:37 AM
Love Romaine. I plant a mix of leaf lettuce. Comes in the pack that way. It's got the green leaf, red leaf, arugula, and i think it even has chicory? Not sure. I'll be planting ours in the next couple of days.
Did you finish your cart?

It's finished. This weekend I'll put the landscape cloth and dirt in. Then I'll get the lettuce started. I'll probably add celery soon too.

Baglady
03-01-2017, 11:23 AM
It's finished. This weekend I'll put the landscape cloth and dirt in. Then I'll get the lettuce started. I'll probably add celery soon too.

Sounds good. Are you a peanut butter and celery kind a guy?

inceptor
03-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Sounds good. Are you a peanut butter and celery kind a guy?

Used to be but not anymore. No particular reason either. I still like celery though. AND I have peanut butter sandwiches sometimes.

Arklatex
03-08-2017, 05:48 PM
I picked these up today at the feed store. Gonna be making some pickles out of some of the harvest:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/109ad14f325edee6cf6d7f04df5f5abe.jpg

Also picked up these cherry tomatoes and Homestead tomatoes:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/1bcc422f5b9a65d115f5a3b1f6d1a63c.jpg

Inor
03-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Mrs Inor transplanted the heirloom Roma tomatoes that she started a few weeks ago. She actually has 6 plants going now.

Given that we are losers living in a rental house right now, I cannot just dig up the yard for a garden. So Mrs Inor found these really cool cloth planting pots on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/247Garden-5-Pack-Gallon-Aeration-Handles/dp/B013JM3KAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489030933&sr=8-1&keywords=cloth%2Bpot&th=1

I think she got the 25 gallon ones. They are really well made and with the handles on them, they are really easy to move. Plus they are cheap as hell - $30 for 5. When it comes time to move into our new house, we can just dump the dirt into a garbage can, fold them up and move them. I am REALLY impressed so far.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag23/InorTheBloody/IMG_20170308_162216824_HDR_zps6kfnljhe.jpg

Baglady
03-09-2017, 03:26 PM
I picked these up today at the feed store. Gonna be making some pickles out of some of the harvest:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/109ad14f325edee6cf6d7f04df5f5abe.jpg

Also picked up these cherry tomatoes and Homestead tomatoes:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/1bcc422f5b9a65d115f5a3b1f6d1a63c.jpg

Your ahead of us. We just planted our lettuce seeds 4 days ago, but now the weather channel says we might have some freezing temps come thru in the next few days.
I'm going to plant cukes, dill, and jalepeno , and try some of Hawgs and RubberDucks pickling recipes too.

Baglady
03-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Mrs Inor transplanted the heirloom Roma tomatoes that she started a few weeks ago. She actually has 6 plants going now.

Given that we are losers living in a rental house right now, I cannot just dig up the yard for a garden. So Mrs Inor found these really cool cloth planting pots on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/247Garden-5-Pack-Gallon-Aeration-Handles/dp/B013JM3KAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489030933&sr=8-1&keywords=cloth%2Bpot&th=1

I think she got the 25 gallon ones. They are really well made and with the handles on them, they are really easy to move. Plus they are cheap as hell - $30 for 5. When it comes time to move into our new house, we can just dump the dirt into a garbage can, fold them up and move them. I am REALLY impressed so far.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag23/InorTheBloody/IMG_20170308_162216824_HDR_zps6kfnljhe.jpg

That is really cool. You got the jump on us for tomatoes. Is that marigolds planted with the tomatoes? My Mom used to plant marigolds around the garden to keep rabbits out.

Inor
03-09-2017, 04:15 PM
That is really cool. You got the jump on us for tomatoes. Is that marigolds planted with the tomatoes? My Mom used to plant marigolds around the garden to keep rabbits out.

Yes, we plant marigolds around everything to keep rabbits out and cut down on some of the bugs.

Baglady
03-28-2017, 10:39 AM
Update: After this yesterday, 3338

We still have lettuce! 3339

Spinach, Arugula, Endive, Red and Green leaf, etc.
If anyone is going to build a lettuce cart, I recommend you don't do one as deep as ours. Ours is about 10-12". Way to heavy. I can't move it. Have to have Hubby move it.

Radio
03-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Liking that wagon. . .

Aside from a few bells, tomatoes, and some herbs, we're holding off on the garden this year. Got too many things going on, plus we're gonna move hopefully by July. When we first moved in here to this house, I began making a green house. We live in a place where we are buying, but only renting the land. It's a shitty deal, honestly but. . Anyhoo, I got the posts set, drainage system in place and began the framework. At that point, I was about $300 into it. Then I bought $500 of lumber. That's when the "landlord" came by and told me that I couldn't build it. . It is their land, what could I do?

Can't wait to move back home.

Unclefred
03-28-2017, 12:12 PM
It's too early yet but i'm getting beds turned over and then some more horse manure. We had a more normal winter this year so I'm expecting fewer pests. They were a big problem last year with the squash and cucumbers.

hawgrider
03-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Have not had full sun in my yard in quite a few years and the only thing that has done well is the weeds. So I may just say the hell with it this year and do nothing. My garlic has been in since last fall and that is already coming up. And maybe I'll do some herbs in containers. Maybe a tomato or two in a container but most of my once glorious garden I'm turning back to grass screw it.

Farmers market here I come!

Unclefred
03-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Have not had full sun in my yard in quite a few years and the only thing that has done well is the weeds. So I may just say the hell with it this year and do nothing. My garlic has been in since last fall and that is already coming up. And maybe I'll do some herbs in containers. Maybe a tomato or two in a container but most of my once glorious garden I'm turning back to grass screw it.

I have the same problem, im in the middle of douglas fir woods. I have one small area that gets full sun so I crammed 3 raised beds in there. It only gets midday sun so even though I get a good crop, everything is smaller than it should be. Still taste good.

Baglady
03-29-2017, 08:38 PM
Liking that wagon. . .

Aside from a few bells, tomatoes, and some herbs, we're holding off on the garden this year. Got too many things going on, plus we're gonna move hopefully by July. When we first moved in here to this house, I began making a green house. We live in a place where we are buying, but only renting the land. It's a shitty deal, honestly but. . Anyhoo, I got the posts set, drainage system in place and began the framework. At that point, I was about $300 into it. Then I bought $500 of lumber. That's when the "landlord" came by and told me that I couldn't build it. . It is their land, what could I do?

Can't wait to move back home.

That sucks. Where do you call home?

Baglady
03-29-2017, 08:44 PM
It's too early yet but i'm getting beds turned over and then some more horse manure. We had a more normal winter this year so I'm expecting fewer pests. They were a big problem last year with the squash and cucumbers.
I'ts always a battle of the bugs or feathered/furry critters for us. We didn't get any corn last year, despite my .410...

Broncosfan
03-29-2017, 09:19 PM

Too bad you don't live a little closer I always have extra. Most of my seeds are up and have moved them to the greenhouse for now as long as the weather holds up.

Broncosfan
03-29-2017, 09:26 PM
Try this product if you have problems with squash bugs etc. Its called Tangle Trap . I put it on yellow plastic cups and hang them around. It works and its fairly cheap. Planetnatural.com is the cheapest by far. https://www.planetnatural.com/?s=Tangle+trap&post_type=product#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Tangle%20trap&gsc.page=1. I have also used it on fake apples and hung it in the tree it caught a lot of different bugs.

Unclefred
03-29-2017, 11:19 PM
I'ts always a battle of the bugs or feathered/furry critters for us. We didn't get any corn last year, despite my .410...

Rabbits and deer. Arrgh. Birds get all the berries.

Radio
03-30-2017, 01:03 AM
That sucks. Where do you call home?

Right now, Southern Idaho. Hoping to move back down South by the end of July. Either Southern Nevada or Texas. I'm thinking we're pretty set on Nevada, though.

Baglady
03-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Right now, Southern Idaho. Hoping to move back down South by the end of July. Either Southern Nevada or Texas. I'm thinking we're pretty set on Nevada, though.

Wish I could go back to the desert climate too. This humidity is rough!

Baglady
03-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Rabbits and deer. Arrgh. Birds get all the berries.

Crows and squirrels were my main enemy last year. We replanted the corn 3 times! This year we're going to plant a field we haven't planted in 2 yrs.
A buddy of mine suggested some rat traps. Might work, and beats the hell out of me sitting out there all day with my shotgun.

12vman
04-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Crows and squirrels were my main enemy last year. We replanted the corn 3 times! This year we're going to plant a field we haven't planted in 2 yrs.
A buddy of mine suggested some rat traps. Might work, and beats the hell out of me sitting out there all day with my shotgun.
Kinda like this.....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170416/fd69721874087a15766fa72a67fe55a8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Baglady
04-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Got the gardens planted in the past 2 weeks. The lower garden spot has; the rest of the tomato's, pole beans, jalepenos, cayenne, zucchini, cucumber, and okra.
The big garden across the road (not pictured) has 5 rows of Merit and 7 rows of Silver King sweet corn. The merit is up already.
more tomato's.

Baglady
04-18-2017, 11:12 AM
You can see the lower garden in this picture.
The lettuce is doing great.

hawgrider
04-18-2017, 11:33 AM

Dang... thats purdy right there!

TJC44
04-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Call the squirrels! :bounce:

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Baglady
04-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Dang... thats purdy right there!

Thanks. Now the trick is to keep it that way. I was feeling the pain when we got done.

Baglady
04-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Call the squirrels! :bounce:

:boggled: Not on my watch! We moved the corn field this year. Maybe the crows and squirrels won't find it!

homefire
04-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Baglady that looks like a beautiful bounty in the making. I'm jealous. One of these days.

Baglady
04-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Baglady that looks like a beautiful bounty in the making. I'm jealous. One of these days.

Thanks. What are you waiting for? If you don't have much garden space, you can always use containers. One tomato plant, one pepper, etc.

TJC44
04-18-2017, 12:37 PM
:boggled: Not on my watch! We moved the corn field this year. Maybe the crows and squirrels won't find it!

Yeah, and maybe the Tooth Fairy & Santa Claus is real, too.

homefire
04-18-2017, 12:45 PM
I thought they lived in our hearts anyway.

hag
04-18-2017, 01:53 PM

Looking good baglady!

TJC44
05-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Garden has been turned over (mostly). Seed has been started in the starter kit, and the corn and beans are already sprouting. I think I'll replant those in bigger pots before they go into the ground. I want them big enough that the damn squirrels don't dig them up again.
I'm also in the process of 'repairing' my front lawn. About half of it is crappy looking weeds. Scott's weed & feed went down a few weeks ago to kill them. I reseeded grass this past weekend. Crossing my fingers.

TJC

Baglady
05-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Garden has been turned over (mostly). Seed has been started in the starter kit, and the corn and beans are already sprouting. I think I'll replant those in bigger pots before they go into the ground. I want them big enough that the damn squirrels don't dig them up again.
I'm also in the process of 'repairing' my front lawn. About half of it is crappy looking weeds. Scott's weed & feed went down a few weeks ago to kill them. I reseeded grass this past weekend. Crossing my fingers.

TJC

Hey TJ! Sounds like you'll be ahead of the game when the ground warms up. We're behind on the yard. Lawnmower broke, had to get a coil for it, and now with my back...(14 days of pain now!) I can't do chit.
I'm missing out on some great weather too.
Post some pic's when you get a chance.

TJC44
05-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Hey TJ! Sounds like you'll be ahead of the game when the ground warms up. We're behind on the yard. Lawnmower broke, had to get a coil for it, and now with my back...(14 days of pain now!) I can't do chit.
I'm missing out on some great weather too.
Post some pic's when you get a chance.
How many times do I have to say it? Use that brace or go see a chiropractor! I know how it feels. It sucks. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Baglady
05-09-2017, 10:40 PM
How many times do I have to say it? Use that brace or go see a chiropractor! I know how it feels. It sucks. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

I can't help it, it hurts too much to take a trip to my chiropractor. I was instructed by a customer of ours, who is an RN, to do this backwards exercise using the bathroom sink. She said to face away from the sink, put my hands behind me on the counter, legs straight, and slowly bend backwards letting my arms hold my weight. Do this 5 times, several times a day.
A few minutes after the first time I tried it, the burning pain down my leg disappeared! I've done this 3 times so far. Getting that kind of immediate relief was amazing.

TJC44
05-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Seed starter and the smaller seedlings, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, watermelon. Would like to start some potatoes, but haven't seen buds yet.

Some of the corn and beans had to be transplanted to larger digs (did you see what I did there?)

Of course this weekend is forecast to be a washout.

Baglady
05-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Seed starter and the smaller seedlings, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, watermelon. Would like to start some potatoes, but haven't seen buds yet.

Some of the corn and beans had to be transplanted to larger digs (did you see what I did there?)

Of course this weekend is forecast to be a washout.

You'll be eatin good before you know it. Try putting the potatoes in a brown paper bag, in a dark place for awhile. They get some eyes on them then. Did I see...? What?

TJC44
05-10-2017, 09:36 PM
You'll be eatin good before you know it. Try putting the potatoes in a brown paper bag, in a dark place for awhile. They get some eyes on them then. Did I see...? What?

Apparantly not. :biglaugh:

I will try that with the potatoes. I want to get them to take. Must be the Irish in me.

Baglady
05-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Apparantly not. :biglaugh:

I will try that with the potatoes. I want to get them to take. Must be the Irish in me.

I hope it stays cool enough up there to grow those taters. Takes awhile.
If you were referring to the coffee containers you used to transplant, then yeah, I saw em. A blind person could see those!
It was an excellent idea too.
Oh lordy, Your IRISH?? That explains soooo much...

TJC44
05-11-2017, 12:50 PM
The key word here is "digs".
Anybody want to help out? Or just let her swing?
Oh, yeah, the brown paper bag....What's a paper bag? :biglaugh: