PDA

View Full Version : Amazon scam alert !

Ricekila
02-14-2017, 09:19 AM
My bank debit card has only been used for amazon purchase's for the last month or so --

This morning when I checked my account --- its lite by about $668.45 !

Someone in Seattle has been buying on-line games from Steamgames.com !

After notifying Citi Bank - which will refund all my money & send me a new debit card tomorrow -- When I went to amazon to cancel my account ---- 45 minutes of jumping through hoops --

I said the last time I'd get a second card / account and only load it up as I spend it --- its time --

juskom95
02-14-2017, 09:31 AM
It may or may not be Amazon.

There are credit card number generators as well as other means of finding your card number and using it.

Kfilly
02-14-2017, 09:56 AM
My bank debit card has only been used for amazon purchase's for the last month or so --

This morning when I checked my account --- its lite by about $668.45 !

Someone in Seattle has been buying on-line games from Steamgames.com !

After notifying Citi Bank - which will refund all my money & send me a new debit card tomorrow -- When I went to amazon to cancel my account ---- 45 minutes of jumping through hoops --

I said the last time I'd get a second card / account and only load it up as I spend it --- its time --

Just for future reference. I would never, ever use a debit card for internet, phone, or things like hotel reservations. If your card gets lost or stolen, there is a greater burden on you. I always use a credit card for those types of purchases as it gives you more leverage. The money is not transferred until the transaction is completed. If there is a dispute, a credit card company can withhold the funds (since you are less likely to pay them). That is a little extra muscle you get fighting for you. With a debit card, funds are transferred immediately and you lose that bargaining power.

I would also look to get out of the Wall Street banks for any personal banking. Those will be the first pricks to steal your money through haircuts and bail-ins. Just my two cents.

Ricekila
02-14-2017, 10:48 AM
It may or may not be Amazon.

There are credit card number generators as well as other means of finding your card number and using it.

And I had other problems with them -- turd-time is the charm --

Its either them -- or you I blame ? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/crazy.gif

Or it could be Bush ?

juskom95
02-14-2017, 11:01 AM
And I had other problems with them -- turd-time is the charm --

Its either them -- or you I blame ? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/crazy.gif

Or it could be Bush ?

Credit Card number generators create a credit card number from an algorithm; this includes the date and verification number on the back.

Banks are also horrible at actually protecting that data, the larger they get the worse they are.

Then of course there is Amazon, then possible spyware on your system/phone.

Did you email Amazon? Companies are not always aware of a data breach until someone reports an issue, but it could also be multiple routes. Watch your accounts carefully for a while.

One place I worked had callers in the payment center selling information, these same centers are often used by banks also. The call centers are sometimes contracted out, and they service multiple customers at once.

Ricekila
02-14-2017, 11:03 AM
When I finally got through to them --- I told them twice -- I wonder if they care ?

juskom95
02-14-2017, 11:08 AM
When I finally got through to them --- I told them twice -- I wonder if they care ?

They do, but not for any altruistic reason. Amazon operates a large pay service utilized by third parties, and they have obligations (financial/criminal ones) to meet.

Ricekila
02-14-2017, 02:43 PM
I cleaned every thing - re-started - then ran the Norton clean everything in site program ---- nut-in popped up --

Baglady
02-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Damn Ricekila, that sucks! But, you probably saved me from having a similar experience.
We've been talking about ordering some seed online, using our debit card.
Screw that. I'll get a $ order.

Ricekila
02-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Now --- lets say I look for crap-on-a-stick ( with free shipping ) --

Google search --- then go down the list --

Pass amazon like my ex-Wifey in the street --

Ricekila
02-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Also too interesting that this game site is based in Seattle -------------- just like amazon ?

juskom95
02-15-2017, 10:02 AM
Now --- lets say I look for crap-on-a-stick ( with free shipping ) --

Google search --- then go down the list --

Pass amazon like my ex-Wifey in the street --

Meh.

Honestly, any time you purchase online you are at risk of having your information stolen. This was not a scam, but a theft.

Buy dinner at a restaurant? That is easy to steal your information.
Buy through CCBill? That is used by many third-parties, and it is also susceptible.

Ricekila
02-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Buy dinner at a restaurant?

Another thing I never do --- fast food only -- with cash --

Wifey on the other hand always picks up the tab with her kids --- never hacked --

juskom95
02-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Another thing I never do --- fast food only -- with cash --

Wifey on the other hand always picks up the tab with her kids --- never hacked --

The point is, this was not a "Scam" someone stole your information one way or another.

Ricekila
02-17-2017, 09:14 AM
And some time last night -- all the money was returned to my account --

And I received a fresh new unscratched card --

And amazon still sucks !