PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fiction?

Xerographica
03-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. My tastes are pretty broad but figured I'd share a few of my relevant favorites...

Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour - An American pilot is shot down in Siberia and is pursued by Soviet agents.

Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter - It was made into a movie (Shooter) that wasn't half bad... but as usual the book was a lot better.

Exodus (http://www.christensenwriting.com/book/exodus-the-exodus-trilogy-book-1/) by Andreas Christensen - It's free! The moral of the story is to not keep all your eggs in one basket. On another forum (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=385443) I compared it to a non-fiction book also about a potential global catastrophe.

Among Wolves (http://www.rahakok.com/) by R.A. Hakok - It's also free! Post apocalyptic story that's slow in the beginning... and in the middle... but it's worth recommending.

We, The People (http://www.sff.net/people/jack.haldeman/people.htm) by Jack C. Haldeman II - It's also free! It's a short sci-fi story about people choosing where their taxes go.

What are some of your favorite works of fiction?

Baglady
03-01-2017, 12:25 PM
When I was a kid, "Watership Down" was my favorite.

The "Left Behind" series.

Just finished "2012". That was amazing.

I read way too much to say I have any favorites.

juskom95
03-01-2017, 12:51 PM

Same here.

My favorite is probably the "Sword Of Truth" series, I've read over them a few times.

Jerry D Young
03-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Several of my favorite Disaster/Prep/PAW fiction:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny
Deathland series by James Axler
Doomsday Warrior series by Ryder Stacy
EMP Contrast – A Tale of Two Cities by Donald R J White
Endworld series by David Robbins
Farnhams Freehold by Robert Heinlein
Forbidden Area by Pat Frank
Malevil by Robert Merle
Meeting The Bear - Journal Of The Black Wars by Lloyd Zimpel
On The Brink Benjamin Stein & Herbert Stein
Overload Arthur Hailey
Siege Edwin Corley
The Billion Dollar Killing Paul E Erdman
The Crash of '79 Paul E Erdman
The Deadly Frost Terrence Moan
The Hab Theory Allan W Eckert
The Silver Bears Paul E Erdman
The Wanderer Mika Waltari
The Warlord Series Jason Frost

Probably my favorite Prep/PAW Fiction (more or less):
The Traveler Series D. B. Drumm (Probably my favorite of the PAW fiction series)
The Outrider Series Richard Harding (Second place favorite of the PAW fiction series)
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle (Another early good prep book that influenced me)
The Survivalist Series Jerry Ahern (The earlier ones) (More Prep/PAW stories that were entertaining and kept my interest up in prepping)
Three Amazons Versus The Last Eligible Male by Ollie Elliott (A bit strange, but some interesting prep ideas)

These are the books I read in Junior High School, Senior High School, and as a young adult that shaped me into who I am:

Fiction:

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (Really got me started in prepping)
Have Space Suit, Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein (An inspiration to me when I was young)
Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (Socio/political commentary in novel form.)
And the rest of the works of Robert A Heinlein (for the same reasons as above.)
Bulldozer by Stephen W. Meader (Another inspirational story when I was in my teens.)
A Hero For Henry by Herbert R. Purdum (A great old west comedy with valuable lessons.)
An Elephant For Aristotle by L. Sprague de Camp (Another Socio/political commentary in novel form.)
The works of Louis L'Amour The westerns and Night Over The Solomons & West From Singapore
The works of Zane Gray
The works of Edgar Rice Burroughs especially Tarzan At The Earth’s Core
The works of Earle Stanley Gardner
The works of Andre Norton especially Sea Siege
The works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The works of Sir Henry Rider Haggard
The works of Sandra Brown (Believe it or not, I learned a lot from romance novels.)
The works of Nora Roberts (Another fine romance novelist that gave me a lot to think about.)

Non-fiction:

Power! by Michael Korda (How to get it and how to use it for good or evil)

Breaking the Rules by Kurt Wright (A book and seminar that gave me great insights into people and how they treat each other and why)

Dress for Success by John T Molloy (More than just clothing. How people actually see each other and act accordingly. Urban camouflage that also teaches the hows and whys of field camouflage)

The Miss Manners Guides by Judith Martin (More than just manners. How people interact in many different situations.)

Just my opinion.

OSFG
03-02-2017, 05:14 PM
Everything Louis L amour, Zane Gray, Western....especially ones written in the 20's - 50's
Disclaimer....
They can't write "pow" "pow" when describing a gun fight or I rip it to pieces...
The lead character cannot be a red head....
The lead character can not shoot a running animal at 300 feet...just clipping it enough to knock it down...or throw a knife any distance and stick it in a fellows throat every time...

All war novel not written by the enemy or Liberals.

Fifty Shades of Gray - I didn't read it...but I liked when my wife did.

Sci-fi
Incarnation of Immortality series - Piers Anthony
Bio of a Space Tyrant - Piers Anthony

Non Fiction:
FM 7-8
Ranger Handbook
FM 31-20 series
(you can look them up here https://archive.org/details/)

TXplowgirl
03-17-2017, 07:36 AM
I love to read. These are my favorites.

Louis L'Amour, especially the Sackett series.

The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey

The Black Berets series by Mike McCray

The Executioner series by Don Pendleton

Edge series by George G. Gilmer

Renegade series by Ramsay Thorne

Drizzt Do'Urden, The Dark Elf Trilogy series by R.A. Salvatore

Walter Tyler
03-17-2017, 09:59 AM
Same here.

My favorite is probably the "Sword Of Truth" series, I've read over them a few times.

One of my Favorites as well!!
Did ya ever see the TV series on CW? It sucked... but I held on watching for the whole ride.
Well, It didnt suck it just didnt follow the story line... not like GoT does... BUT they have the HBO budget.

I also love the Drizzt Do'Urden, The Dark Elf Trilogy series by R.A. Salvatore...

The other one is with Pug the Magician... cant remember the Series but it is HUGE.

ALL TIME FAVORITE is Robert Jordans Wheel of Time. I have reread it MANY times.

juskom95
03-17-2017, 11:25 AM
One of my Favorites as well!!
Did ya ever see the TV series on CW? It sucked... but I held on watching for the whole ride.
Well, It didnt suck it just didnt follow the story line... not like GoT does... BUT they have the HBO budget.
I watched it on NetFlix, and it is what actually got me hooked on the books. I have not read the last two yet (one came out in 2016 I think) so I'm behind some, but I own the rest. In physical form.

I also love the Drizzt Do'Urden, The Dark Elf Trilogy series by R.A. Salvatore...

The other one is with Pug the Magician... cant remember the Series but it is HUGE.

I have heard great things about Drizzt and Wheel Of Time, but I couldn't get into them for some reason.

Inor
03-17-2017, 11:33 AM
I just finished the new Brad Thor book "Foreign Agent" about a week ago.

I am a HUGE fan of Brad Thor and this is his best book ever. In my arrogant opinion, you can never go wrong with a story where there is a detailed description of the hero breaking muslims' kneecaps with a hammer.

This week's book was Bill O'Reilly's "Killing the Rising Sun". I generally stay away from O'Reilly's books because his ghost author does not do a very good job making sure they are factual. But the bookstore in the Tucson airport sucks. So my choices were pretty limited. It is an okay read, but it is not a book that would cause me to say "You HAVE to read this!"

juskom95
03-17-2017, 11:34 AM
I just finished the new Brad Thor book "Foreign Agent" about a week ago.

I am a HUGE fan of Brad Thor and this is his best book ever. In my arrogant opinion, you can never go wrong with a story where there is a detailed description of the hero breaking muslims' kneecaps with a hammer.

This week's book was Bill O'Reilly's "Killing the Rising Sun". I generally stay away from O'Reilly's books because his ghost author does not do a very good job making sure they are factual. But the bookstore in the Tucson airport sucks. So my choices were pretty limited. It is an okay read, but it is not a book that would cause me to say "You HAVE to read this!"

There were a lot of books I 'settled for,' out of airport bookstores. Just had to have something to read!

inceptor
03-17-2017, 05:38 PM

That was awesome! Sanderson did a good job finishing it up. Sanderson himself has a couple of really good series himself.

Arklatex
03-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Anybody read John Locke? Not the philosopher the modern author. He's got a twisted sense of humor that I like.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Locke_(author)

The Donovan Creed series and Emmet Love series are especially good.

hag
03-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Y'all can laugh if you want but I'm reading the game of thrones books right now. I'm about halfway through the fourth book.

I love any book from a historical time, especially 1700's to 1800's pioneer, settler type stories. The first book I read in high school for a book report was called peace at bowling green, and I probably consider it my favorite because it turned me on to reading

Camel923
03-17-2017, 11:08 PM
I haven't read fiction in quite sometime although I read a lot. Tom Clancy was good. The Hunt for Red October, The Cardinal of the Kremlin and others.

TXplowgirl
03-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Y'all can laugh if you want but I'm reading the game of thrones books right now. I'm about halfway through the fourth book.

I love any book from a historical time, especially 1700's to 1800's pioneer, settler type stories. The first book I read in high school for a book report was called peace at bowling green, and I probably consider it my favorite because it turned me on to reading

You would probably like the writer Dana Fuller Ross then. His Wagon's West Series which starts with the first book Independence! About the start of the wagon trains going west and following several families for several years. I didn't care much for them but my late husband loved them.

Gambit
03-23-2017, 04:32 PM
When I was a kid, "Watership Down" was my favorite.

The "Left Behind" series.

Just finished "2012". That was amazing.

watership down? I would not ever think you would read that

Gambit
03-23-2017, 04:39 PM
what are books?

TXplowgirl
03-23-2017, 04:48 PM
what are books?

If you have to ask I ain't tellin. :thumb:

hag
03-23-2017, 09:15 PM
You would probably like the writer Dana Fuller Ross then. His Wagon's West Series which starts with the first book Independence! About the start of the wagon trains going west and following several families for several years. I didn't care much for them but my late husband loved them.

Thanks for the tip. I will check him out

Baglady
03-23-2017, 09:51 PM
watership down? I would not ever think you would read that

I was maybe 12 when I read that. Why wouldn't you think I would read it?

Gambit
03-24-2017, 04:57 AM
I was maybe 12 when I read that. Why wouldn't you think I would read it?
not sure why, just could not picture you reading it

can I read the Quran so I can claim it as fiction??
sorry someone had to be the asshole here

juskom95
03-24-2017, 08:46 AM

I read part of it . . . then I got bored.

Inor
03-24-2017, 09:45 AM

I used one to smoke a rack of Baby Back ribs once. Very bad idea. I think it imparted the evil on the ribs because they tasted awful.

Baglady
03-25-2017, 09:08 AM

You do know Watership Down was a fantasy about dens/warrens of rabbits and how they saw the world? They had families, City Cousins, friends, and went on adventures. Deep stuff. :o

Gambit
03-25-2017, 09:17 AM
You do know Watership Down was a fantasy about dens/warrens of rabbits and how they saw the world? They had families, City Cousins, friends, and went on adventures. Deep stuff. :o
yes I did and even watched the movie they made
the bunnies was violent little bastards

Baglady
03-25-2017, 09:32 AM
yes I did and even watched the movie they made
the bunnies was violent little bastards

I never saw the movie. Don't remember it being a violent story, but that was too many years ago.

Gambit
03-25-2017, 09:44 AM
I never saw the movie. Don't remember it being a violent story, but that was too many years ago.
it was not as violent as I recalled but I was very young
I found the movie on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxxd1Jg9sM
and just incase u need the link

Slippy
03-25-2017, 09:46 AM
(Slippy pulls out his notebook entitled "Things to Learn" and jots down R E A D...)

Baglady
03-25-2017, 09:52 AM
it was not as violent as I recalled but I was very young
I found the movie on youtube

and just incase u need the link

I can't watch youtube. But thanks anyway Gambit.

Gambit
03-25-2017, 10:00 AM
I tried maam sorry
but in its time it was top of the most violent cartoon movies and it barely lost to heavy metal and wizards
btw wizards beating this movie with the gore factor is much BS! who judge this was a dimwit in my opinion

TJC44
03-25-2017, 07:16 PM
I can't watch youtube. But thanks anyway Gambit.

Video doesn't carry very well over telegraph lines. :bounce:

TJC44
03-25-2017, 07:17 PM
I tried maam sorry
but in its time it was top of the most violent cartoon movies and it barely lost to heavy metal and wizards
btw wizards beating this movie with the gore factor is much BS! who judge this was a dimwit in my opinion

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Bugs Bunny / Road Runner Show on Saturday morning?

Gambit
03-25-2017, 07:20 PM
nope
watership down had blood and killing
it barely lost to 1981 movie heavy metal when it came to blood shed

Baglady
03-25-2017, 09:45 PM
Video doesn't carry very well over telegraph lines. :bounce:

No it does not. Thanks for the reminder. Asshole. :biglaugh:

hawgrider
03-25-2017, 09:52 PM
No it does not. Thanks for the reminder. Asshole. :biglaugh:

Hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha lololololol!