PDA

View Full Version : The 'What If,' game.

juskom95
03-02-2017, 10:55 AM
I read about this in a military book, many years ago, well before I ever joined the service and it stuck with me. Some call this 'situational awareness,' but the 'what if,' game seems to be easier for some to understand.

At its basic level, this is looking at the world around and going "What if this happens?" Not paranoia, not 'hyper-vigilance,' but a thought towards scenarios.

Example:

I work in 'cubicle hell,' in a warehouse, and one of the things I think about is: "What if an angry citizen enters the front door with a shotgun? What would I do?" This is more than making a detailed plan, but it is about keeping the 'mental framework,' of ready action. Being ready to act sometimes means more than $1,000,000 worth of equipment.

"What if that semi-truck swerves into the left lane?"
"What if that kid runs across the road?"
"What if my office catches on fire?"
"What if my SINCGAR antenna snaps?"
"What if my rucksack strap rips off?

Just 'food for thought,' as this seems easier for some to 'digest,' than the constant idea of being situationally aware.

hawgrider
03-02-2017, 11:06 AM
OK I'll play..

I have often thought...

What if I run out of booze on a Friday night after I've already been drinking?
These days I won't drive if Ive had more than one drink.

So I have thought of several options-

1. Stock up on booze that that never ever happens!

2. I can always sweet talk the wife into running to the party store for me.

3. There is a party store with in a 10 minute walk from where I live right now so as long as its not pouring rain Im good to go.

4. if it is raining I do have a rain suit and or a umbrella.

Inor
03-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Flying as much as I do, I play that game quite a bit.

What if I am standing in line waiting to go through security and some muslim or angry lib attacks the people in the security line?

KnuteFartne
03-02-2017, 11:16 AM
I do this all the time. Especially in any new environment. The first thing I do is scan for any and all exits. Then I start the "what if" game. I've gotten quite good. I can carry on a conversation while I run my scenarios in my head. No one with me is the wiser.

-Squatch

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.

juskom95
03-02-2017, 11:27 AM
I do this all the time. Especially in any new environment. The first thing I do is scan for any and all exits. Then I start the "what if" game. I've gotten quite good. I can carry on a conversation while I run my scenarios in my head. No one with me is the wiser.

-Squatch

Like Inor, I used to travel a lot so I always did that. Funny thing is, the team I was on was all civilians (no prior military) and after a few months of traveling, they finally asked me what I was doing (scanning the exits) and so on.

Coastie dad
03-02-2017, 12:30 PM
We do the what if every morning.
We look at the patients, their reasons for admission, and battle plan how to handle different possible scenarios.
And they are all perfect plans.

Right up until they are needed. Because no plan survives contact with the enemy.

Arklatex
03-02-2017, 12:35 PM
I do this as well in many aspects of my everyday life.

What if I have car trouble? I'm prepared for that on several different levels.

What if the workplace violence scenario happens? I know where all the exits to the factory are, I have a group text setup to warn all my buddies and vice versa. We can't have guns in there but I have a nice sterling breaker bar and there's makeshift weapons everywhere you look.

What if I'm confronted by thugs? That's why I keep a sharp eye out and carry a gun.

I could go on but you get the point. I reckon this mindset is pretty common amongst preppers and survivalists. The hard part is to not get complacent in your everyday environment.

juskom95
03-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Right up until they are needed. Because no plan survives contact with the enemy.

Yup, that is why I tried to show it more as a 'mindset,' rather than a set of hard plans.
Much of reacting to an emergency is being mentally prepared.

-Hawgrider is mentally prepared to run out of liquor.
-Inor is mentally prepared for an incident at an airport checkpoint.
-Sasquatch is mentally prepared to get the hell out of where he is at.

Kfilly
03-02-2017, 03:34 PM

-Squatch

I do that all the time as a firefighter. Not only do I know where the exits are located. I know how many tables, seats, rows, doors over they are from my location. I have seen cases where fires have been burning in attics and something breaks free and the entire room goes dark with smoke instantly. I saw a case where a few firefighters died in a scenario just like I described investing an odor of something burning, and they had their gear on except for breathing off their SCBA when that happened.

No plan is ever perfect. Being able to improvise, remain calm, and think on your feet is key. I wish I could find a picture of this again. There was a fire in an apartment building. The apartment building had several units on one floor. A tenant who was trapped in their apartment tunneled through several walls until they were finally able to get an area where they were able to make it outside. There was a photo taken from one apartment and you could see all the walls he broke the drywall and crawled through. It was pretty clever.

Coastie dad
03-02-2017, 03:35 PM
I am mentally prepared to stomp the shit out of the sorry prick that infected this site with these ****ing pop-ups and redirect things.
I have a theory.

Sparkyprep
03-02-2017, 03:37 PM
I am mentally prepared to stomp the shit out of the sorry prick that infected this site with these ****ing pop-ups and redirect things.
I have a theory.

Same here.

KnuteFartne
03-02-2017, 03:40 PM
I have a theory.
I'm glad you said that. Wondered if I was the only one. I knew it had to be the site because it only happens here.

Let's get out the pitchforks and torches and hunt the SOB down!

juskom95
03-02-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm glad you said that. Wondered if I was the only one. I knew it had to be the site because it only happens here.

Let's get out the pitchforks and torches and hunt the SOB down!

Adblockers work pretty good, or you can manually block onclkds.com but don't go to it!

OSFG
03-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Adblockers work pretty good, or you can manually block onclkds.com but don't go to it!

I dont click anything but on the OTP site and like fairy dust farts...the onclkds.com browser page just friggin appears!!!!

hawgrider
03-02-2017, 04:39 PM
I have a theory.

You and I have the same theory.

Baglady
03-02-2017, 07:43 PM
We do prepare for normal stuff like the truck breaking down.
But I also do the "What If" and not only when we go to public places.

What if a stray dog/rabid coon...comes around and tries to attack me while I'm doing chores?

I know many places we keep sharp objects around here, so whether I'm at the barn,
the tractor shed, or wherever I always know I have something handy to defend
myself.

Obviously, if I'm able to get to the house, I'll grab a gun.

juskom95
03-02-2017, 07:47 PM

http://i.imgur.com/VlXIFNd.gif

inceptor
03-02-2017, 09:05 PM

uh, make that 3.

TJC44
03-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Make that 4

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Dwight55
03-03-2017, 09:12 PM
................Right up until they are needed. Because no plan survives contact with the enemy.

Not meaning to be argumentative, . . . but there were two battle plans in our history that worked quite well.

I'm thinking it is a plan that needs a good re-look, . . . and maybe some low level implementation.

Thinking mainly of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, . . .

Troops sent out, . . . mission accomplished, . . . all returned safe and sound, . . . enemy crushed. Successful battle plan if you ask me.

And, . . . I'm sure every gunner on each plane was doing a bunch or "what if's" during the first 3/4 of the flight.

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
03-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Not meaning to be argumentative, . . . but there were two battle plans in our history that worked quite well.

I'm thinking it is a plan that needs a good re-look, . . . and maybe some low level implementation.

Thinking mainly of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, . . .

Troops sent out, . . . mission accomplished, . . . all returned safe and sound, . . . enemy crushed. Successful battle plan if you ask me.

And, . . . I'm sure every gunner on each plane was doing a bunch or "what if's" during the first 3/4 of the flight.

May God bless,
Dwight

God bless the Enola Gay!

Coastie dad
03-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Yeah....that was an air force thing. That don't count.:smashfreak:

Coastie dad
03-04-2017, 07:18 AM
But if we allowed our military to wage war instead of slap wrists and beg forgiveness we wouldn't have some of the problems we do now.

juskom95
03-04-2017, 11:16 AM
But if we allowed our military to wage war instead of slap wrists and beg forgiveness we wouldn't have some of the problems we do now.

Very true, and I'm not going to rant on it again.

BlackDog
07-04-2017, 08:36 PM
OK I'll play..

I have often thought...

What if I run out of booze on a Friday night after I've already been drinking?
These days I won't drive if Ive had more than one drink.

So I have thought of several options-

1. Stock up on booze that that never ever happens!

2. I can always sweet talk the wife into running to the party store for me.

3. There is a party store with in a 10 minute walk from where I live right now so as long as its not pouring rain Im good to go.

4. if it is raining I do have a rain suit and or a umbrella.
When I drank nothing would have stopped me.

But yeah, I play the 'what if' game all the time. It's kind of what prepping is for me. It's a fun mental game to consider different possible situations and what tools I'd need where to turn chance to my favor. Then, acquire the necessary tools and skills.
It's really a never ending mental exercise and gives me a good diversion from business. Which consumes most of my other waking moments.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BlackDog
07-04-2017, 08:55 PM
How the heck did this old thread pop on my timeline? I just realized the last post was back in March.

hawgrider
07-05-2017, 04:13 AM
How the heck did this old thread pop on my timeline? I just realized the last post was back in March.

You will have to blame tapatalk?

BlackDog
07-05-2017, 07:45 AM
You will have to blame tapatalk?
That works for me!

hawgrider
07-05-2017, 08:33 AM
That works for me!

Tapatalk has the time line thingy and is not our software. Thats the only thing I can think of. Wish I could have been more help.

BlackDog
07-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Eh, no problem. I just need to pay attention and be more timely with my monthly post. 😄

slewfoot
07-05-2017, 04:38 PM
After spending most of my working life as a Deputy I have pretty much become hard wired to this kind of thing . Every time I walk out of my house I do a quick scan of the area around me , what cars are home who's isn't, who or what may be on the street. When I am in the car I know everything going on around me , I check mirrors about every 30 seconds , Know what is behind me , along side and in front , keeping an eye for openings in traffic in case things suddenly go to hell.
Oh yeah,I still scan every license plate I see. Old habits die hard.