PDA

View Full Version : last ham

hag
03-04-2017, 06:05 AM

Just took the last ham from last year down and started trimming it up and thought I would snap a picture. Still have four shoulders left from last year. Killed a hog yesterday about 400 pounds and gonna put him on salt today and grind sausage.

Might cut a big chunk off and put in some soup beans for supper

Dwight55
03-04-2017, 06:57 AM
I started to say "Gimme the address, . . . I'll bring green onions and cornbread", . . . then I figured I could probably make mine quicker here, . . . and not have to fight all that Saturday morning traffic.

Have fun with it all.......... it sure looks good.

I'm in the process of trying to develop a green chili recipe (basically pork and green colored peppers of one variety or another), . . . one that I like, is easily made, etc. Tried a couple of internet ideas, . . . didn't work to suit me, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
03-04-2017, 07:49 AM
A lot of work butchering your own hog. But your own hams make it worth it!

Gambit
03-04-2017, 09:14 AM
looks like it has good marbling
have you tried salami or any type of dried /cure sausage?

hag
03-05-2017, 03:31 AM

This is the finished product, minus the bone and the big chunk that went in the beans

hag
03-06-2017, 05:48 AM
looks like it has good marbling
have you tried salami or any type of dried /cure sausage?

No, breakfast sausage is all I've ever done. I don't know any recipes for salami but I'm not a big fan of it anyway

hag
03-06-2017, 05:50 AM
I started to say "Gimme the address, . . . I'll bring green onions and cornbread", . . . then I figured I could probably make mine quicker here, . . . and not have to fight all that Saturday morning traffic.

Have fun with it all.......... it sure looks good.

I'm in the process of trying to develop a green chili recipe (basically pork and green colored peppers of one variety or another), . . . one that I like, is easily made, etc. Tried a couple of internet ideas, . . . didn't work to suit me, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

That sounds good. If you get the recipe how you like it , I would like to try it too

Dwight55
03-06-2017, 06:59 AM
That sounds good. If you get the recipe how you like it , I would like to try it too

Will do, hag, . . . I just wish I could find a big patch of wild onions, . . . always loved to chew on them when I was out in the boonies. I'd spot one, . . . pull a few leaves and just mosey along with a good tasting snack.

I'm thinking they would be a good "addition" though I've never cooked with them. May go mushroom hunting here in the next few, . . . see if I can scout up some onions too.

May God bless,
Dwight

Baglady
03-06-2017, 11:21 AM

This is the finished product, minus the bone and the big chunk that went in the beans

How do you cure your hams?