PDA

View Full Version : hog killing

hag
03-05-2017, 03:43 AM

Worked up a hog today, and as you can see I had my top hand helping me! Every thing went smoothly, just wish we could have done more lol! We salted down the hams and shoulders and put them down in an old refrigerator since the weather is so warm. We have had good luck with this in the past. 23 pounds of sausage to go with it plus loins and country style ribs. Another great day that the lord has blessed us with up on the ridge!

Edit: don't know why my pictures are always sideways?

hawgrider
03-05-2017, 07:58 AM
Dayum Hag you do more before 9 am than most people do all day! Nice work!!! Im drooling looking at all that pork and visions of BBQ are dancing in my head. :bigthumbup:

Slippy
03-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Nice job hag!

Gambit
03-05-2017, 08:22 AM
very nice

Inor
03-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Nicely done Hag! Atta Boy!

How do you do the hams? Do you brine them or just salt them? For how long?

hag
03-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Nicely done Hag! Atta Boy!

How do you do the hams? Do you brine them or just salt them? For how long?

I mix 8 pounds of salt, two pounds of dark brown sugar and a tablespoon each of black pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika. Rub it into the exposed meat really good as well as the rind on the outside of the hams. Around the socket in the middle of the hams, you need to pack your salt mixrreally good and around the hock too. I take my finger and try to loosen the skin from the meat on the hock and then shove the mix in. If you put them down like we did in the refrigerator, you can put your extra mix spread out under them like a bed.

Granddaddy said to leave them down for two days for every pound they weigh before hanging them up. After they take the salt, you take them up and hang them in an airtight space away from skippers and smoke them if you want

RubberDuck
03-05-2017, 10:06 AM
my mouth is watering love me some fresh farm pork