PDA

View Full Version : Contents of my first aid kit

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 11:54 AM
I had a few requests as to what I pack in first aid kit. The kit I am packing is a small first aid kit. This is what I pack in my bug out bag. I am not packing any paramedic or above medical supplies in my kit. Everything I pack can be used by the average person. If you have advanced training and feel the need to add advanced types of supplies, I am not advising you not to do that. This is just my situation.

The first thing I want to say is that most pre-made first aid kits are junk. I always build my. It is fairly cheap and easy to do. I also want to add that my kit is good for one to two people. However, it is easy to make 2 kits for close to the same amount of money for the basic supplies.

I bought the cheapest medical soft sided pouch I could find on Amazon. It is a pouch made by Johnson & Johnson. The pouch is approximately 8"x6"x4". I think I paid about $2 for the pouch alone. Even though the pouch is cheap, it is not a low quality item. The interior isn't very usable for what I carry, but it carries what I need it to carry. I am also not worried about it just falling apart. On a side note, this a great gift idea to give someone to keep in their car.

This is a pretty basic soft sided pouch. Labeled as a medical kit on one side. Bright red color for easy visual clue as to bag contents. Pouch has dual exterior zippers for easy access.

The interior of the pouch is kind of useless for the stuff I pack. I do use the small mesh zippered pocket for medications I pack, a tweezers, comodone extractor, regular band aids, and medical tape. Behind that pocket I store my 5x9 bandages, 4x4 bandages, moleskin, and Steri-strips. All of the other webbing is pretty much useless for my application.

I purchased most of my actual medical supplies from Wal-Mart aside from the CAT tourniquet, 4" Israeli bandage, and small trauma shears. Below is a list of the items I carry in my kit:

5---5x9 bandages. These are for fairly large cuts and for cuts with a lot of bleeding.
7---4x4 bandages. These are for medium to small cuts.
10--Regular band aids.
4--- Steri-Strips. These are for make shift stitches. Easy to apply. I am considering more for my pack.
1----Comodone extractor. I break out easily. These hygienically drain acne and can remove ticks.
1----Tweezers. Splinters/tick removal, etc
1----Roll of medical adhesive tape
4----Rolls of cling wrap bandages. I cannot remember what brand I bought, but they were indivually wrapped in plastic which makes them waterproof. Used to hold larger bandages in place, and for securing splints.
1----5" Trauma shears. Used to cut bandages. Main use is to cut clothing off in serious injury so wounds can be treated. Get good ones as they may have to cut through things like denim.
1----Pouch of moleskin. Used to treat hotspots so they do not become blisters.
1----1.75 ounce container of organic cayenne pepper. I use that as a blood clotting agent in place of Quick Clot, etc. Used for serious or deep cuts that bleeding control is difficult to accomplish.
2----Pair of nitrile EMS gloves
1----Sawyer Extractor. This is supposed to remove poisons/venom, but the jury is out on this one. Wal-Mart camping section.
1----Halo Chest Seal. Used to treat sucking chest wounds (puncture around lungs). Watch the end of the movie Three Kings. It is what Mark Wahlberg's character has after he gets shot.
1----CAT tourniquet which is mounted to the exterior of my pack. An item that needs to be accessible quickly.
1----small pill bottle full of baby aspirin, generic Tylenol, anti-diarrhea medicine, and Benadryl. Each medication was placed in a ziplock bag and the bag labeled with dosage instructions and expiration dates.

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Contents of my kit in photos.

Apparently, I have seven 3x4 bandages and not 4x4 ones. I keep all bandages in zip lock bags so they are waterproof.

5x9 bandages packed in zip lock bag. I do prefer the Curad ones as they are packaged smaller than the Johnson & Johnson ones.

Moleskin for blister relief.

Rolls of cling wrap.

4" Israeli bandage. Pressure wrap to help control serious bleeding.

I use this organic cayenne pepper instead of Quick Clot. I wrote what it is for I market in case some lay person needs to treat me.

I pack a tweezers and comodone extractor in with my band aids.

Steri-strips are used in place of sutures. Multiple strips are in a pack.

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Continued...
Essential items no first aid kit should be without. CAT tourniquet and trauma shears.

The medications I picked up. Most were the $4 bottles sold at Wal-Mart. Each ziplock is a full bottle. I have baby aspirin, generic Tylenol, anti-diarrhea, and Benadryl. Dosing instructions written on each bag.

Sawyer Extractor. I am not sure about this one. It is supposed to suck venom out of wounds. It is lightweight so it stays in my pack. I have never been bitten by a snake soI have not tried it.

Picture of bag partially packed.

I cannot really get a picture of my first aid kit fully packed as I have to partially close it, cram stuf into it, and close it fully after everything is inside. My contents kind of scatter easily when my pack is open. However, that is kind of a good thing as nothing remains buried and everything is quickly accessible.

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 12:36 PM
I do not carry any anti-biotic ointment or burn cream. I do have a couple other things in my pack for first aid. I have a small thing of Gold Bond foot powder for treating my feet. I also have the ability to make colloidal silver (big fan of it), and I know how to make and use tannic acid.

Not necessarily first aid, but this is a part of hygiene. I carry a Sonicaire toothbrush head, and a small thing of baking soda for brushing teeth.

hawgrider
03-08-2017, 12:41 PM
I do not carry any anti-biotic ointment or burn cream. I do have a couple other things in my pack for first aid. I have a small thing of Gold Bond foot powder for treating my feet. I also have the ability to make colloidal silver (big fan of it), I know how to make and use tannic acid.

Not necessary first aid, but this is a part of hygiene. I carry a Sonicaire toothbrush head, and asmall thing of baking soda for brushing teeth.

Why no antibiotic ointment? That stuff works great on small infections.

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Why no antibiotic ointment? That stuff works great on small infections.

Have you ever tried colloidal silver? I plan on making some and keeping it in one of my canteens. Colloidal silver has a lot more uses than just as topical antibiotic. It can be taken orally to help fight illness. I can also make some tannic acid which is good for treating waterborne intestinal problems, used as a mouth wash, and is an anti-bacterial agent. It is about versatility and know how.

hawgrider
03-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Have you ever tried colloidal silver? I plan on making some and keeping it in one of my canteens. Colloidal silver has a lot more uses than just as topical antibiotic. It can be taken orally to help fight illness. I can also make some tannic acid which is good for treating waterborne intestinal problems, used as a mouth wash, and is an anti-bacterial agent. It is about versatility and know how.

I've heard of it. I've read about it. But the tube of triple antibiotic is easy and convenient.

Too much colloidal silver.... turn into a smurf LOL

http://i.imgur.com/Y2eFdp9.jpg

Colloidal silver isn't considered safe or effective for any of the health claims manufacturers make. Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral, as some sellers of silver products claim.

Colloidal silver products are made of tiny silver particles suspended in a liquid — the same type of precious metal used in jewelry, dental fillings, silverware and other consumer goods.

Colloidal silver products are usually marketed as dietary supplements that are taken by mouth. Colloidal silver products also come in forms to be injected or applied to the skin.

Manufacturers of colloidal silver products often claim that they are cure–alls, boosting your immune system, fighting bacteria and viruses, and treating cancer, HIV/AIDS, shingles, herpes, eye ailments and prostatitis.

However, no sound scientific studies to evaluate these health claims have been published in reputable medical journals. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration has taken action against some manufacturers of colloidal silver products for making unproven health claims.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/colloidal-silver/faq-20058061

Colloidal silver is LIKELY UNSAFE when taken by mouth, applied to the skin, or injected intravenously (by IV). The silver in colloidal silver products gets deposited in vital organs such as the skin, liver, spleen, kidney, muscle, and brain. This can lead to an irreversible bluish skin discoloration that first appears in the gums. It can also stimulate melanin production in skin, and areas exposed to the sun will become increasingly discolored.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Colloidal silver is LIKELY UNSAFE when taken by mouth, applied to the skin or injected intravenously (by IV). Increased silver levels in pregnant women have been linked to abnormal development of the ear, face, and neck in their babies. Colloidal silver supplements can also lead to silver accumulation in the body, which can lead to an irreversible bluish skin discoloration known as argyria. Silver can also be deposited in vital organs, where it does serious damage.
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-779-colloidal%20silver.aspx?activeingredientid=779

I don't think I will be playing with that stuff. Thats just my choice though to each his own.

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 01:10 PM
I've heard of it. I've read about it. But the tube of triple antibiotic is easy and convenient.

Yes, but it runs out. I have three lithium 9V batteries two 8" pieces of 10 gauge silver wire, asmall set of alligator wire to connect the batteries to said wire, and a small plastic spacer to hold the silver wires apart. I can make enough gallons of colloidal silver with that set up to last me quite a few years. Colloidal silver is easy, convenient, and way more versitale. My pack is designed so I can disappear for awhile. I have made countless gallons of colloidal silver with my regular Duracell 9v batteries and 14 gauge silver wire. Both still appear as good as new. ;-)

Other uses for colloidal silver include treating questionable water which will be especially important when stupid Amerikans go third world status and start bathing and pooping in their water.

http://www.naturalnews.com/051148_silver_clean_water_NASA.html

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 01:29 PM

Too much colloidal silver.... turn into a smurf LOL

http://i.imgur.com/Y2eFdp9.jpg

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/colloidal-silver/faq-20058061

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-779-colloidal%20silver.aspx?activeingredientid=779

I don't think I will be playing with that stuff. Thats just my choice though to each his own.

That moron made it wrong, and drank it in excessive quantities everyday. I have been taking it for three years. I have not turned blue yet. You could try massively overdosing on modern pharmeceuticals. Pills as benign as antibiotics have killed far more people in the US. Long story short, I would rather turn blue than end up dead.

As a side note, the International Space Station uses colloidal silver to purify its water. Those astronauts drink that water daily. How many turned blue? Someone is lying to American public. All of the sites you listed are powerful for profit entities. They all lose big time money if the American public were to know the truth. People cannot patent elements,and anyone can make colloidal silver. The FDA suppresses a lot of stuff that is beneficial. Marijuana is good for treating some illness, but it is illegal. Marijuana is a plant. Marijuana has killed far fewer people than alcohol. Yet, one is illegal while the other can be bought just about anywhere. The FDA is also in on the racket. The last head of the FDA was a former Monsanto executive. I am sure he was looking out for every Americans well-being.

Arklatex
03-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Here is my little kit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/2045e394977c9922af403eddb287afb1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/3db3d5df2333e9af91debe307ceb260c.jpg

Plastic pouch contents:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/88ef146d9aee2f29f6b7c050401371a8.jpg

I added this seperate:

2 Celox packs
2 large bandaids
2 antiseptic wipes
4 cough drops
Roll of generic rollaids
Bottle of Visene. *this one is great if you get something in your eye*
Chapstick. Also good for Firestarter
Shears
Small bottle of 2% iodine *for wounds and can also be used to purify water. 5 - 10 drops per quart depending on how nasty you think the water is, and let it set at least 30 minutes.

This is a work in progress and critiques are welcome. Keep in mind this is a basic EDC kit that rides in my work pack or travel bag. I always have it handy.

Arklatex
03-08-2017, 02:06 PM
I read an article about that Smurf man that claims the same things Kfilly just mentioned. The guy was making it way to stout and took huge doses. I've never made colloidal silver but I do have several bottles of it. I believe the stuff works but I only use it for colds and flu. What really made a believer out of me was when we got one of our drop-off pups the poor thing had Parvo. After researching treatments for it I found that colloidal silver was the #1 success rate for home remedies. Well I had some and gave the puppy 10ppm solution with pedialyte. It worked very fast and the vet confirmed it.

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 02:37 PM
I read an article about that Smurf man that claims the same things Kfilly just mentioned. The guy was making it way to stout and took huge doses. I've never made colloidal silver but I do have several bottles of it. I believe the stuff works but I only use it for colds and flu. What really made a believer out of me was when we got one of our drop-off pups the poor thing had Parvo. After researching treatments for it I found that colloidal silver was the #1 success rate for home remedies. Well I had some and gave the puppy 10ppm solution with pedialyte. It worked very fast and the vet confirmed it.

I have used colloidal silver for a few things. It definitely helps with colds. I make my own. I have a total dissolved solids water tester that measures parts per million of things in water. I keep my batches between 5 and 10 ppm (closer to 10). I only use distilled water to make mine. It is nothing but distilled water and electrified silver. It is easy to make. I recommend this kit. It is what I have in my INCH bag.

It is sold on Amazon as Colloidal Silver Generator Economy Kit. It sells for about $30. It includes everything you need to make it except for a plastic spoon, three 9v batteries, and an amber glass jar to store it long-term. It also comes with instructions on how to make it. I use distilled water from Wal-Mart which tests at 0 ppm prior to making any colloidal silver. I was going to post the link, but it comes up under my account. You can make tons of it for what you pay to buy small quantities, and you can control the quality/strength. It is another reason I have a water distiller in my pack.

Gambit
03-08-2017, 03:01 PM
plastic wrap and condoms are good from water getting into the bandages

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Here is my little kit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/2045e394977c9922af403eddb287afb1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/3db3d5df2333e9af91debe307ceb260c.jpg

Plastic pouch contents:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/88ef146d9aee2f29f6b7c050401371a8.jpg

I added this seperate:

2 Celox packs
2 large bandaids
2 antiseptic wipes
4 cough drops
Roll of generic rollaids
Bottle of Visene. *this one is great if you get something in your eye*
Chapstick. Also good for Firestarter
Shears
Small bottle of 2% iodine *for wounds and can also be used to purify water. 5 - 10 drops per quart depending on how nasty you think the water is, and let it set at least 30 minutes.

This is a work in progress and critiques are welcome. Keep in mind this is a basic EDC kit that rides in my work pack or travel bag. I always have it handy.

How many people is this kit for? I would probably add a few 5x9 dressings and 3 rolls of cling wrap (can use those for pressure dressings or to attach makeshift splints if needed). If you are out longer, I would add more medications. I would also consider a CAT tourniquet. A CAT tourniquet can be a life saver. Other than that, it looks good.

hawgrider
03-08-2017, 05:48 PM
BTW Good review on your med kit.

Arklatex
03-08-2017, 05:58 PM
How many people is this kit for? I would probably add a few 5x9 dressings and 3 rolls of cling wrap (can use those for pressure dressings or to attach makeshift splints if needed). If you are out longer, I would add more medications. I would also consider a CAT tourniquet. A CAT tourniquet can be a life saver. Other than that, it looks good.
This is my basic boo-boo kit that I always have around me. It's for myself or anybody else who might need it. I may need to find a different container for it because it's pretty stuffed as it is. Is cling wrap the same thing as coflex? I have some in my home kit but hadn't thought about adding it to this one. Good idea on the TQ, all I have is the bandana and stick method for now.

Arklatex
03-08-2017, 06:02 PM
I've also thought about adding a small mirror like a starflash micro and a small light (streamlight nano) to this kit.

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 06:09 PM
This is my basic boo-boo kit that I always have around me. It's for myself or anybody else who might need it. I may need to find a different container for it because it's pretty stuffed as it is. Is cling wrap the same thing as coflex? I have some in my home kit but hadn't thought about adding it to this one. Good idea on the TQ, all I have is the bandana and stick method for now.

I would not go super crazy with the 5x9 bandages (maybe 2 or 3). They are also dirt cheap. Coflex is a little better than cling, but they are basically the same thing. Tourniquets never hurt.

Sparkyprep
03-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Thanks for this thread. Ok, here is mine (just the GHB IFAK, The main household first aid kit is a large duffel bag with thousands of items, drugs, etc.).

Contents-

EMT shears
QuickClot sponge
6" Israeli bandage
Instant cold pack
Advil
first aid tape
tampon
antiseptic towlette
bottle of sterile eye wash
roll of gauze
hypodermic needle (for digging out splinters, no syringe)
tweezers
band-aids (I only buy the cloth ones. The plastic ones don't stick)
a CPR one way breather valve w/ faceshield

Ok, besides the CAT, which I have ordered, what am I missing?

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Items I would possibly consider removing from your pack. The CPR shield, cold pack, and sterile eye wash bottle (if larger than a bottle of Visine I would remove it and get a Visine bottle--similar size keep). The latest research done by the medical field is that chest compressions matter a lot more than the rescue breaths. Some of the new CPR taught to the general public focuses on just doing chest compressions. The results have actually been surprising well doing that alone. I would also do mouth to mouth on a loved one, but that is just me. I did not put a CPR shield in my pack as I personally do not see the value in it knowing what I know about CPR and EMS response times (Golden Hour-treated at hospital within an hour). Deciding on whether or not to drop that from your pack is a decision you will have to make on your own. A cold pack has too few uses for its weight and the volume it occupies in your kit which is the reason I would exclude it.

This kit, just like anything else in your pack, should be about versatility and address the issues you are most likely to encounter. The things I believe people are most likely going to deal with will be cuts/lacerations, sprains, and broken bones. Those are probably the most common type of hiking injuries. You can also add the potential for gunshots to this mix if society falls apart.

You currently do not have much to address sprains or broken bones (splints). You can carry three rolls of cling/gauze (or Coflex) and chop two straight and sturdy tree branches to make a makeshift splint. The cling or Coflex can also be used to apply pressure to a bandage to help control bleeding. It serves a few purposes. I recommend three rolls as a minimum as that is the minimum I would use to secure a splint. I would carry a minimum of two 5x9 bandages. Those strike the balance between being small enough to carry, but are large enough to actually do something for a decent cut. Our department uses that size bandage more often than not when treating trauma patients. If you anticipate the possibility of being shot, I would add a Halo Chest Seal. If you do anticipate being in the woods for a few days, I would also pack some Tylenol (pain/fever), Benadryl (allergic reactions), and anti-diarrhea medication.

One thing I would also recommend is that you take basic first aid class if you have not done so already. Learn how to do basic splinting and first aid for basic cuts. Hopefully, what I said makes sense. If you have any questions, please ask.

Sparkyprep
03-08-2017, 07:54 PM
I have had quite a bit of first aid training, and am currently up to date on CPR certification. My work requires both of these classes to be taken annually. I am also considering taking some EMT courses at my local community collage.

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 08:38 PM
I have had quite a bit of first aid training, and am currently up to date on CPR certification. My work requires both of these classes to be taken annually. I am also considering taking some EMT courses at my local community collage.

What you decide to put in your pack ultimately falls upon you. I just made recommendations based on what I feel is most likely to occur, but in reality, you know your situation best. Personally, I would want the ability to make a splint if I rolled an ankle. I would want to be able to control a couple decent wounds if I fell and cut myself. Those are definitely things that can happen if you are in an evasion mode. Try and think in those terms and think as to what type of stuff would best help your situation.

Kfilly
03-09-2017, 06:41 AM

I would also add one more thing for bleeding control. I would have a couple small things of Celox or a small thing of Quick Clot. Seeing that your kit looks small I would probably go for the Celox packets.

Gambit
03-09-2017, 06:44 AM
I'm thing on picking up some wamers and cooling pads

Baglady
03-09-2017, 02:53 PM
My med bag weighs 8 lbs. But, I don't want to do without any of the items I have in there, and would plan to throw a few clothing items in it to grab and go, so I have lots of room left. A few items I don't show in pic's, just plastic, towel, sterile gloves, bar soap, energy bars.
Our bags are multi purpose, but this one has mostly medical stuff.
personal meds, (blood pressure) would be added as needed.

Baglady
03-09-2017, 02:59 PM
The silver packs are those foil blankets. The plastic tubing is the water filter.
We go to yard sales, estate sales, and you would be surprised at how much of these
medical supplies I've bought for 10-25 cents, or a whole tub for maybe $3.
The foaming cleanser I bought a tub full of those. It's for bed ridden patients, so no water needed.

Talon
03-14-2017, 04:48 PM
I might have missed it, but I would suggest a headlamp in your kit(s).

Kfilly
03-14-2017, 09:00 PM
I might have missed it, but I would suggest a headlamp in your kit(s).

I do not have one in my EMS kit, but I have one easily accessible in my pack. It is in the same pocket as my FAK.

juskom95
03-15-2017, 08:56 AM
I would also add one more thing for bleeding control. I would have a couple small things of Celox or a small thing of Quick Clot. Seeing that your kit looks small I would probably go for the Celox packets.

There are two big dangers with that.

1-If using the powder, it can get into the blood, but the pads are safe.
2-Shellfish allergies.

Sparkyprep
03-15-2017, 03:36 PM
I have a quickclot sponge in there. And I added a roll of self-clinging wrap.

Coppertop
03-25-2017, 09:17 AM
There are two big dangers with that.

1-If using the powder, it can get into the blood, but the pads are safe.
2-Shellfish allergies.

There is a thread on the good/bad of the Celox/Quikclot stuff on here too, it's a good read. Sorry I don't have the link handy.

Coppertop

Coppertop
03-25-2017, 10:17 AM
I would like to point out that what people carry in the first aid kit varies due to the training they have as well as their plans if they are using it for SHTF. I carry a jump bag in all of my vehicles and have an extra one in the house. I don't plan on packing it 100 miles into the wilds on top of my Bug out bag. I use my bag about 2/3 times a month on call outs where it is more expedient to go to the scene than to go get the ambulance first (station is unmanned/volunteer service). Something I have found in the short time I have done this is that when I first started, I wanted my jump kit to have EVERYTHING I would ever need in it. As time goes by, I keep paring it down to have the things I need to have until more help arrives. I know this is different than when SHTF, as most of us are on our own or in a small group and all the help you have is already with you. The point is to very carefully evaluate your knowledge and situation to maximize the use of everything you carry. Same as we do for our food and other tools.

If SHTF, I do plan on trading my skills as a medical professional for some of the security and food from my community and I do not plan on bugging out.

My bag includes things like: Oxygen and three different types of administration devices, an advanced airway set up to "intubate", Halo Chest seals, Israeli bandages, a collapsible Bag valve mask (the bulb they squeeze to breathe for someone), about 15 pair of exam gloves, 15 sterile 4x4 gauze, 10 8x10 gauze, 2 24x30 gauze pads, some regular band-aids, Triangular bandages, diagnostic gear, shears, SAM splints, IV administration gear, as well as a field reference book (there is more, I just cant remember it all). I also carry a separate bag filled with EMS drugs like nitro, Epinephrine and IV solutions (that goes inside the house due to temp extremes)

It is too heavy to pack very far, but great for immediate stabilization for injured persons.

Something no one has mentioned in these threads are triangle bandages. They are lightweight and can do quite a few things. You can make slings for arm/shoulder injuries, use them to secure splints or bandages to a person, use them as a bandage, use them as a head covering, used as a support for joints such as ankles, and as burn dressings. You can also use them as water filters, tie them up to use as bag/containers, food coverings to keep insects away but let air flow through, and if you cut pieces off of them- as a dry tinder for fire starter. To me they are worth having along for a lot of uses.

Coppertop

Coppertop
03-25-2017, 10:20 AM
I'm thing on picking up some wamers and cooling pads

IMHO, They are too heavy and of singular use to be much good for any kind of a IFAK. I don't even carry them in my EMS jump bag.

Coppertop

Kfilly
03-25-2017, 03:33 PM
I would like to point out that what people carry in the first aid kit varies due to the training they have as well as their plans if they are using it for SHTF. I carry a jump bag in all of my vehicles and have an extra one in the house. I don't plan on packing it 100 miles into the wilds on top of my Bug out bag. I use my bag about 2/3 times a month on call outs where it is more expedient to go to the scene than to go get the ambulance first (station is unmanned/volunteer service). Something I have found in the short time I have done this is that when I first started, I wanted my jump kit to have EVERYTHING I would ever need in it. As time goes by, I keep paring it down to have the things I need to have until more help arrives. I know this is different than when SHTF, as most of us are on our own or in a small group and all the help you have is already with you. The point is to very carefully evaluate your knowledge and situation to maximize the use of everything you carry. Same as we do for our food and other tools.

If SHTF, I do plan on trading my skills as a medical professional for some of the security and food from my community and I do not plan on bugging out.

My bag includes things like: Oxygen and three different types of administration devices, an advanced airway set up to "intubate", Halo Chest seals, Israeli bandages, a collapsible Bag valve mask (the bulb they squeeze to breathe for someone), about 15 pair of exam gloves, 15 sterile 4x4 gauze, 10 8x10 gauze, 2 24x30 gauze pads, some regular band-aids, Triangular bandages, diagnostic gear, shears, SAM splints, IV administration gear, as well as a field reference book (there is more, I just cant remember it all). I also carry a separate bag filled with EMS drugs like nitro, Epinephrine and IV solutions (that goes inside the house due to temp extremes)

It is too heavy to pack very far, but great for immediate stabilization for injured persons.

Something no one has mentioned in these threads are triangle bandages. They are lightweight and can do quite a few things. You can make slings for arm/shoulder injuries, use them to secure splints or bandages to a person, use them as a bandage, use them as a head covering, used as a support for joints such as ankles, and as burn dressings. You can also use them as water filters, tie them up to use as bag/containers, food coverings to keep insects away but let air flow through, and if you cut pieces off of them- as a dry tinder for fire starter. To me they are worth having along for a lot of uses.

Coppertop

I never considered tringular bandages for mybkut. It is not a knock on them. I carry a shemagh which I can also use for that use.