PDA

View Full Version : Show your favorite camping tarp set ups!

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 03:28 PM
I want to make this a learning thread. I want people to demonstrate or show pictures of some of their favorite tarp set ups. One of my favorites is pretty interesting BTW.

I apologize for not posting any pictures today. I do not feel like making a bunch of tarp set ups today as we have 50 mph winds blowing around my house. Yes, I have and can set up a tarp under those conditions. However, I do not think it would be very fun or enjoyable to do set up after set up under those conditions (as well as photograph them). However, I promise I will get out there when the winds die down.

Also, post what kind of tarp you used and its size. I use a Snugpak All Weather Shelter which is a 10x10 tarp.

I have two tarp set ups I use that do not involve trees. They are both interesting and easy to do. I figured it was easier to link the YouTube videos I used to learn how to make them from even though both video makers had a few minor issues with their set up. They do a good job explaining how to make them. Both videos use a 10x10 tarp. One makes a fully enclosed tent. The other makes a low profile open sided tent (good for concealment or high winds).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLkoaBCTq9y-i2b3x45VGmsqBVEs4xwp0q&v=k9ayvKXhVUg
This is the low profile open sided tarp shelter. The guy who made the video made this video for me after I inquired how to make this set up. There are a few things he did wrong with his set up. He set it up backwards in regards to the wind. The rear of the shelter should face into the wind for aerodynamic reasons (less stress to tarp). The center stick should be approximately 3 feet long. I learned from experience that I can always tie the front flaps to rear tent stake on the each side (not the two on the absolute back of the tarp) and get good results every time. However, this is still a decent tutorial.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_TTAAzvybA
The second shelter is a fully enclosed tent. The guy who made this video struggled with his tent stakes. My center pole is ends up being a little shorter than what the guy in the video uses. I use my normal sized trekking pole which is about 46" long. I can comfortably lay inside this with my two dogs and gear.

I also set up a typical lean to, an elevated A-frame for really hot days, or a wedge shape.

hawgrider
03-08-2017, 03:43 PM
10 x12 half pyramid. With that configuration its one cut on location post in front. It sports a floor and flap doors the can be tied closed to the single post.

Kfilly
03-08-2017, 03:47 PM
10 x12 half pyramid. With that configuration its one cut on location post in front. It sports a floor and flap doors the can be tied closed to the single post.

You will have to add some pictures when you get a chance. ;-) Obviously, I do not expect that to happen today. I want people to be able to ask about something they see that they like.

hawgrider
03-08-2017, 04:01 PM
You will have to add some pictures when you get a chance. ;-) Obviously, I do not expect that to happen today. I want people to be able to ask about something they see that they like.
Pics of mine are buried on a CD somewhere. I used that set up for 2 years on our bug out excursions in the woods during a rainy spring bug out trip.

My set up was the cats meow. Like I said with the 10x12 you have enough tarp to fold under for a floor that covers 2/3 of the ground. And has 2 doors.

The peak of the half pyramid is about chest high on me I'm 5ft 9" plenty of room to bring back pack in out of the weather. You can also sit up and cook a meal with the 6 dollar stove I showed in the other thread. You tube videos of this configuration are out there if you search for it. Note: Not all half pyramids designs have the floor and doors.

Similar to this-
http://omega-group.org/bcusa/2012-April/14.jpg

Arklatex
03-08-2017, 05:24 PM
A tarp is not in my kit anymore. But I do like the lean to setup. Here's a generic pic

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/145d0d23418b291552cdf83927003640.jpg

One of these days I'm going to finally get around to making my own canvass oil cloth. And then I'll make that into the old school Whelen shelter like this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/3a2283e7da1eb5ecc277174e89bf3bee.jpg

I like the fact that they can be combined with a fire for heat. This type of shelter was used in the old days of frontiersmen and trappers. George Washington Sears (Nesmuk) also used a version of it.

Edit to add, this would be for car camping or historically correct trekking. Not something I would carry in a bob.

Sparkyprep
03-08-2017, 05:32 PM
I don't carry a tarp in my BOB, mostly because it is not a BOB, but rather a GHB. My wife calls it a "Go Bag". Whatever you call it, the only "shelter" that I have opted to keep in it is a large FroggToggs poncho. I need my bag to supply me for 3 days, since that is how long it would take me to walk home. That being said, I like to use, and have used the lean-to method with a tarp to camp. I now have a Ascend Bozeman 3 tent, which I will review soon.

hawgrider
03-08-2017, 05:45 PM
My 10x12 tarp now resides on my chicken run next to the coop. This year for spring bug out camp Im using my 3 man Coleman tent. Screw it we got quads to haul gear and Im pulling the old card! Hell I probably won't even actually put my pack on my back LMAO!

Arklatex
03-08-2017, 06:19 PM
My 10x12 tarp now resides on my chicken run next to the coop. This year for spring bug out camp Im using my 3 man Coleman tent. Screw it we got quads to haul gear and Im pulling the old card! Hell I probably won't even actually put my pack on my back LMAO!
Nothing wrong with that! My tarp was replaced by a 2 man North Face backpacking tent. It's stout, easy to setup and critter resistant. I won't discount a tarp but given the choice I'd rather have the tent in my area. It sucks trying to sleep when you're harassed by creepy crawlies all night.

Sparkyprep
03-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Nothing wrong with that! My tarp was replaced by a 2 man North Face backpacking tent. It's stout, easy to setup and critter resistant. I won't discount a tarp but given the choice I'd rather have the tent in my area. It sucks trying to sleep when you're harassed by creepy crawlies all night.

Effing MOSQUITOES!!!!!!!!!

hawgrider
03-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Effing MOSQUITOES!!!!!!!!!

Michigan state bird.

Arklatex
03-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Michigan state bird.
Same in Arkansas, see the warning sign:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170309/21b5cef50c3a13d36bf40187c657af74.jpg

A Watchman
03-09-2017, 05:59 AM
I keep a 10x12 in my pickum up with some rope and paracord. Being I live in the heavily wooded NE Texas, I prefer the leanto methodology. No BOB for me, but I have a GHB that kicks ass and takes names.

Kfilly
03-10-2017, 02:05 PM
I was going to post pictures of my favorite tarp set up, but I was having issues with pictures turning out. Ugh! I put a couple videos that demonstrate two of my favorite tarp set ups.

hawgrider
03-10-2017, 03:15 PM
The thing is with tarps is they are temporary at best. No floor generally in most tarp setups so if its pouring rain the ground is going to get wet and then your wet. To me the tarp thing is fun to play with but if you really are going to be on the move a small 3 season backpackers tent will serve you much better. Get a 4 season mountain climbers type tent if your going to do this in the north country.

Most tarps have no floor and enclosed tarps have no ventilation so after a night of breathing in a enclosed tarp it will be raining condensation on you. Just my opinon and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Kfilly
03-10-2017, 05:41 PM
The thing is with tarps is they are temporary at best. No floor generally in most tarp setups so if its pouring rain the ground is going to get wet and then your wet. To me the tarp thing is fun to play with but if you really are going to be on the move a small 3 season backpackers tent will serve you much better. Get a 4 season mountain climbers type tent if your going to do this in the north country.

Most tarps have no floor and enclosed tarps have no ventilation so after a night of breathing in a enclosed tarp it will be raining condensation on you. Just my opinon and worth exactly what you paid for it.

I tend to disagree about the warmth and wetness issue. Tarps can be way warmer in the winter. You have to light a fire near it and set up a system to direct radiant heat from the fire back towards you and/or build "super shelter" or devise a little heater to run under your/inside your tarp. If in a tent, you do not get the radiant heat from a fire,and I would not run a heating device inside of a tent (carbon monoxide/fire potential). I already own a four season tent. ;-). I also have a survival blanket with Mylar backing as a ground sheet.

If I am bugging out on foot, I prefer a tarp for several reasons. A tarp is easier to use for stealth camping as it can be set up lower profile and good tarps are not gaudy colors which can be seen from miles away. I can set up my tarp to take advantage of natural terrain for better concealment and better shelters. I can tear my tarp set ups down and pack them away quicker than I can take down a tent in the event I have to leave an area in a hurry. I can set up some tarp configurations quicker than I can set up a tent which means getting out of the elements. A tarp is lighter to carry. I can have a partially open shelter and run a small makeshift heater in my tarp which I could not set up in a tent. Bug out situations are not going to be like recreational camping. Everyone will be viewed as a potential threat. Stealth, adaptability, and enginuity will be better served the four fabric walls.

hawgrider
03-10-2017, 08:38 PM
I tend to disagree about the warmth and wetness issue. Tarps can be way warmer in the winter. You have to light a fire near it and set up a system to direct radiant heat from the fire back towards you and/or build "super shelter" or devise a little heater to run under your/inside your tarp. If in a tent, you do not get the radiant heat from a fire,and I would not run a heating device inside of a tent (carbon monoxide/fire potential). I already own a four season tent. ;-). I also have a survival blanket with Mylar backing as a ground sheet.

If I am bugging out on foot, I prefer a tarp for several reasons. A tarp is easier to use for stealth camping as it can be set up lower profile and good tarps are not gaudy colors which can be seen from miles away. I can set up my tarp to take advantage of natural terrain for better concealment and better shelters. I can tear my tarp set ups down and pack them away quicker than I can take down a tent in the event I have to leave an area in a hurry. I can set up some tarp configurations quicker than I can set up a tent which means getting out of the elements. A tarp is lighter to carry. I can have a partially open shelter and run a small makeshift heater in my tarp which I could not set up in a tent. Bug out situations are not going to be like recreational camping. Everyone will be viewed as a potential threat. Stealth, adaptability, and enginuity will be better served the four fabric walls.

My tent is earth tone color. If I need radiant heat from a fire reflector wall leave the doors open.

Food for thought... do the Mt Everest climbers use a tarp shelter? No they don't.

To me its a prepper fantasy. As Jerry would say "Just my opinon."

hawgrider
03-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Maybe a better example than Mt Everest would be thru hikers on the Appalachian trail do they use tarps?

Arklatex
03-11-2017, 06:50 AM
Another setup that I like is to combine a tarp with a hammock. I've tried it two ways. One with a cheapo 10×12 tarp that worked out great and had plenty of overhang, and once using the rainfly from my tent. That one was OK, much lighter and smaller package but not much extra space underneath.

Here is a generic pic to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170311/a23c428aed0f245c9335888cd557c86d.jpg

Kfilly
03-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Another setup that I like is to combine a tarp with a hammock. I've tried it two ways. One with a cheapo 10×12 tarp that worked out great and had plenty of overhang, and once using the rainfly from my tent. That one was OK, much lighter and smaller package but not much extra space underneath.

Here is a generic pic to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170311/a23c428aed0f245c9335888cd557c86d.jpg

I have never done a diamond shape set up. I always take my dogs camping so I am not using a hammock set up. No hammock means no diamond. If I need a super fast set up. I use a wedge/plow shape set up. That is the one where one corner is tied to the tree and the other corners are staked down. I will tie a piece of cordage to the end tied to the tarp. Any knot as long as it will hold will do. I tie a loop in the other end of the rope, and I attach a Caribiner to the loop. I wrap the rope around the tree in a tension less hitch (three wraps around the tree and clip Caribiner to end going to shelter. I pull corner of tarp opposite from the one I tied to the tree taught and stake it. I stake the other corners taught. A roomy set up will consist of the tarp being tied to the tree just over 6' height. However, one can set it up much lower for stealth purposes. I also have a 10' piece of cord I always leave tied to the center exterior attachment webbing. I will also tie the other end of that to the stake inline to the first stake I planted to create extra headroom. Tear down and set up in about a minute.

Inor
03-11-2017, 10:41 AM
I have never done a diamond shape set up. I always take my dogs camping so I am not using a hammock set up. No hammock means no diamond. If I need a super fast set up. I use a wedge/plow shape set up. That is the one where one corner is tied to the tree and the other corners are staked down. I will tie a piece of cordage to the end tied to the tarp. Any knot as long as it will hold will do. I tie a loop in the other end of the rope, and I attach a Caribiner to the loop. I wrap the rope around the tree in a tension less hitch (three wraps around the tree and clip Caribiner to end going to shelter. I pull corner of tarp opposite from the one I tied to the tree taught and stake it. I stake the other corners taught. A roomy set up will consist of the tarp being tied to the tree just over 6' height. However, one can set it up much lower for stealth purposes. I also have a 10' piece of cord I always leave tied to the center exterior attachment webbing. I will also tie the other end of that to the stake inline to the first stake I planted to create extra headroom. Tear down and set up in about a minute.

I have done a similar setup camping in the BWCA, that worked pretty well (unless it rained real heavy and the ground flooded). I tied a cord to a tree and staked the other end to the ground. Then I just threw a tarp over the cord and staked it down. The benefit was that I did not have to fight the tarp getting it taught when putting in the first stake. I just used carabiners to clip the tarp to the top and bottom of the cord, then two stakes on the sides.

Coastie dad
03-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Ok. My turn.
When I played reenactments I carried a tarp that was usually set up in a plow point, I think y'all call a half pyramid. I often had a small canvas my blanket was rolled into that became the floor. I used it in 100 degree weather, rain, and snow.
Packing it was heavy because it was canvas. The tarp, blanket, water, food, gun, etc weighed out about 50 pounds, give or take. Not for extended trekking.
I would think in my situation, comfort would be secondary to survival and mobility. I need to get home. I've spent many nights in or under a poncho.
That being given said, I've got a small $30 tent I can pack that weighs about 6 pounds. It is disposable as far as I'm concerned. I really think a good poncho and sylnylon tarp are on my buy list for this year. About a hundred bucks for the ones I'm looking at, and weigh a couple pounds together. Paracord and light weight tent stakes and I be good to go.

Kfilly
03-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Ok. My turn.
When I played reenactments I carried a tarp that was usually set up in a plow point, I think y'all call a half pyramid. I often had a small canvas my blanket was rolled into that became the floor. I used it in 100 degree weather, rain, and snow.
Packing it was heavy because it was canvas. The tarp, blanket, water, food, gun, etc weighed out about 50 pounds, give or take. Not for extended trekking.
I would think in my situation, comfort would be secondary to survival and mobility. I need to get home. I've spent many nights in or under a poncho.
That being given said, I've got a small $30 tent I can pack that weighs about 6 pounds. It is disposable as far as I'm concerned. I really think a good poncho and sylnylon tarp are on my buy list for this year. About a hundred bucks for the ones I'm looking at, and weigh a couple pounds together. Paracord and light weight tent stakes and I be good to go.

They make modern tarps a lot lighter than your tent. I have a Snugpak All Weather Shelter (10x10 tarp). It weighs about 2 pounds with tent stakes and 40 feet of paracord. My tarp cost about $60. There are silnylon tarps that even lighter than what I have, but some of those get very pricey.

Coastie dad
03-12-2017, 11:52 PM
I looked at that snugpak tarp. It is definitely on the consideration list.
And another thought on tents: in an "uh-oh" scenario, a tarp gives more vision outward and chance to roll out and react quicker than a zippered tent.