PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Bug Out Home For Just $250 ?

hawgrider
03-10-2017, 06:45 AM
WHAT IS AN EARTH BAG?

I wish I could offer you a much more exciting description but basically these are small durable bags, very like sandbags, that can be filled with dirt, rocks or sand. Each material has various benefits when it comes to structural integrity and insulation. Dirt will not insulate as well as the small rocks and sand will.

The earth bags are used to build frames that are surprisingly powerful. I encourage you to take a look at the various types of pressure testing, damage testing, water damage and various other tests that these bags and structures have undergone.

Related: Tents That Turn Into Bunkers if You Just Add Water

These Earthbags have been used to build everything form actual homes to beautiful root cellars and even emergency shelters. These homes do not require tensile materials at all. In other words no wood or brick. The structures are highly durable and just absurdly cheap. Most of the models I looked were around $300-500 http://www.askaprepper.com/ultimate-bug-home-just-300/

Ricekila
03-10-2017, 07:01 AM
I spent a little time in one @ a fire-base -- on a hill once -- I wasn't impressed --

Kfilly
03-10-2017, 08:16 AM
I thought about building one of these type shelters at my bug out location. My current place has a lightweight construction house. This would even be a structure for severe weather as current house has no basement. I really do like that idea.

Dwight55
03-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Sure as I would build one of those, . . . about the time I kicked back with my feet up and a coffee and doughnut in the hands, . . .

I'd hear the footsteps of a Sgt. Major or some Master Chief Petty Officer, . . . and they'd be giving me the dickens cause my place isn't ready to "withstand".

Nahhhh, . . . spent too much time in sandbags, . . . don't want to try it again.

May God bless,
Dwight

Coastie dad
03-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Hmm...
What a novel idea...
A hooch...
But seriously I may think about that for a camp site up on the hill.

TJC44
03-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Maybe good for an emergency shelter, or temporary storm shelter. I don't see it being a long-term residence, or even longer than overnight in a storm situation.

OSFG
03-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Sure as I would build one of those, . . . about the time I kicked back with my feet up and a coffee and doughnut in the hands, . . .

I'd hear the footsteps of a Sgt. Major or some Master Chief Petty Officer, . . . and they'd be giving me the dickens cause my place isn't ready to "withstand".

Nahhhh, . . . spent too much time in sandbags, . . . don't want to try it again.

May God bless,
Dwight

I bet you all would have loved you some Hesco barriers back then. I have had the sad fortune to have had to fill more sandbags than I ever care to remember...But Hesco....I wish I had bought stock in them...

But there aint no way in hell I'm gonna be in a bunker built with only one row of bags standing high enough to walk into....

Dwight55
03-11-2017, 07:11 PM
You do know that the first question that comes to most people's minds: Was that to keep someone in, . . . or another someone out?

Yeah, . . . glad I didn't have to mess with them things.

Only time I really appreciated sandbags, . . . sitting with the M60 up in the guard tower, . . . surrounded by them. It was my favorite guard post.

May God bless,
Dwight

OSFG
03-11-2017, 07:11 PM
I did like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHVKFCoYFc&feature=youtu.be

Saw some bigger versions in Ass-crack-a-stan

Radio
03-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Not bad ideas. Gives me something to think about when/IF I ever get the chance to build a bugout shelter. Reminds me of The Hobbit. lol. .

Walter Tyler
03-16-2017, 11:07 AM
I got about 80k pillow cases stacked up in one of the barns... just for something like this.
Hotels give the stained ones away BTW... FREE. They last longer than feed bags or poly crap.
I have had a few out back for 5 years and I can still move them... they got rock in em not really sand though.

You can soak sheets in a Portland mix and it will "fireproof" them. I have been playing with the idea of spraying it on a frame covered in sheets... not sure how long it will be before it cracks though.

http://ourgreenstreetsblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Rwanda-KITCHEN-B.jpg

http://ourgreenstreetsblog.com/wordpress/tag/hyperbolic-paraboloid/

Damn Green Hippies gots some ideas... sumtimes.

Camel923
03-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Cool ideas. I would like to have something on hand for just in case.