PDA

View Full Version : Winter Blizzard Shuts Down Truckers And Exemplifies SHTF

hawgrider
03-14-2017, 05:57 AM
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/truckers.jpg

I am currently on a road-trip and ‘holed up’ in eastern Pennsylvania under a Blizzard Warning while the forecast 24+ inches of the white stuff is shutting down all trucker transportation (and the rest) for tens of millions in the northeast.

As I was driving today I knew of the forecast for a potential record setting March Blizzard to impact the northeast. Listening to the CB radio I heard the truckers talking about the coming storm and hearing how many (all?) of them were ‘hunkering down’ somewhere until it blows over.

It occurred to me once again how the truckers deliver the life-blood of ‘stuff’ that we all ‘need’ each and every day. Without that ‘lifeline’, most people would be ‘screwed’. Most people don’t know this, don’t appreciate this, http://modernsurvivalblog.com/systemic-risk/winter-blizzard-shuts-down-truckers-and-exemplifies-shtf/

RubberDuck
03-14-2017, 06:33 AM
For the most part if you bought it a trucker brought it.

Camel923
03-14-2017, 07:47 AM
It's a pain in the butt in the Laurel Highlands. Very slippery this morning. But my vehicle sucks in the snow. The boy and wife have my four wheel drives (hummer and pick up)

Arklatex
03-14-2017, 07:52 AM
I've heard it said that grocery stores and pharmacies, well nearly every business runs on just in time inventory. Which means they only keep enough product to run for 3-4 days and rely HEAVILY on logistics to stay operating. It has even affected the tire factory I work at. There's been times we've had to shut down because bad weather slowed down our raw rubber deliveries. Now imagine a SHTF situation, the nation will be out of food and meds in less than a week. That's a good reason to prep all by itself.

Dwight55
03-14-2017, 08:31 AM
I've heard it said that grocery stores and pharmacies, well nearly every business runs on just in time inventory. Which means they only keep enough product to run for 3-4 days and rely HEAVILY on logistics to stay operating. It has even affected the tire factory I work at. There's been times we've had to shut down because bad weather slowed down our raw rubber deliveries. Now imagine a SHTF situation, the nation will be out of food and meds in less than a week. That's a good reason to prep all by itself.

We've had a couple of really bad weather thingy's here in central Ohio going back to and including the '78 blizzard, . . . and we don't get a week here.

Milk, bread, and lots of other "normal" foodstuffs were simply gone, . . . MT shelves from one end to the other, . . . and it only took 72 hours.

A local Kroger had people standing in line for bread out of their bakery. Yeah, . . . I was one of them back then.

God bless our truckers.........

May God bless,
Dwight

shootbrownelk
03-14-2017, 08:37 AM
You know, the east coast gets a couple feet of snow and they make it sound like the world is coming to an end. Out here in Wyoming we get 1 1/2 to 2 feet of white crap along with wind gusts over 100 mph that topples semis and it's just another day. No National news coverage.

juskom95
03-14-2017, 08:42 AM
This seems to happen every year/every other year . . . one would think that eventually people would get the hint?

Coastie dad
03-14-2017, 09:52 AM
And how many of the people affected by this storm, who have no supplies layed in, are the progressive liberals that not only want, but need a nanny state?

Talon
03-14-2017, 03:06 PM
I just left upstate NY a couple of weeks ago. We had already had three or four small to medium snowfalls. The roads will be bad for a few hours then the trucks come through plowing it all out of the way. A friend sent me some pics today and this one that CNN is losing it's mind over doesn't appear to be any worse.

juskom95
03-14-2017, 03:20 PM
I just left upstate NY a couple of weeks ago. We had already had three or four small to medium snowfalls. The roads will be bad for a few hours then the trucks come through plowing it all out of the way. A friend sent me some pics today and this one that CNN is losing it's mind over doesn't appear to be any worse.

Everyone freaks out every year. We got bad storms (for KY) three years in a row and everyone freaked out like it was the END OF THE WORLD!!!! every single time.

DerBiermeister
03-14-2017, 06:43 PM
OMG -- a March snow storm. Who'd a thunk?

Just for the record, some of biggest snows during winter have occurred in March, and even right here in River City -- Richmond.