PDA

View Full Version : Old ADT System

juskom95
03-15-2017, 09:42 AM
I'm in the process of swapping out my four year old ADT system for a new SimpliSafe security system.

ADT does not want the old system back, so now I an trying to find ideas on what to do with it.

Suggestions?

MI.oldguy
03-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Alarm your shed?.if you have a shed.if its anything like our old one,there may be some relays or buss boards you can use on a project.

As far as the box it was in,how about a locked gun safe in a wall between studs with a picture over it?.

juskom95
03-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Alarm your shed?.if you have a shed.if its anything like our old one,there may be some relays or buss boards you can use on a project.
It is actually wireless, so I am pretty flexible with it.

As far as the box it was in,how about a locked gun safe in a wall between studs with a picture over it?.

The box is actually down with my network rack, which is where my new system base is going (If they have gotten to my server rack, I'm in deep do do anyway)

I do like the idea about the shed as the alarm still works.

Inor
03-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Does the ADT system have motion detectors? If so, maybe rig them up to turn on a relay connected to a web cam. That would make a pretty cool game camera. If the wireless protocol that it uses is easy enough to hack, you could even plug a Raspberry Pi into the net to have it text you when something triggers off one of the motion detectors.

juskom95
03-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Does the ADT system have motion detectors?
They are . . . iffy, one reason the system is going 'bye bye.'

If so, maybe rig them up to turn on a relay connected to a web cam. That would make a pretty cool game camera. If the wireless protocol that it uses is easy enough to hack, you could even plug a Raspberry Pi into the net to have it text you when something triggers off one of the motion detectors.
I have the separate system, where the box is located away from the panel, so I can program quite a bit from what I understand. I do like the idea though, maybe re purpose the sensors (pull apart the boards) and attach them to other areas to monitor?

Camel923
03-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Use it to cover additional areas. I have both the house and barn wired. I would like to do the other out buildings too.

juskom95
03-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Use it to cover additional areas. I have both the house and barn wired. I would like to do the other out buildings too.

That is why I went with SimpliSafe, it is much, much, much cheaper to add sensors later.

ADT: $739
SimpliSave: $469

The only difference is the motion sensor.

Camel923
03-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Maybe sell the components cheap to someone who has an adt system

Ricekila
03-15-2017, 03:54 PM
Give it to someone you don't like --- here the first thing they take is the lawn sign --

Kfilly
03-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Give it to someone you don't like --- here the first thing they take is the lawn sign --

I would not post a lawn sign with your home security system's brand. It makes it easier for the smart criminals to hack. My security system is a fully loaded weapon backed by two dogs.

hawgrider
03-15-2017, 04:24 PM
My home is protected by Smith & Wesson and an attack kitty.

Sparkyprep
03-15-2017, 04:31 PM
rework the components and make it a yard guard system.

Ricekila
03-15-2017, 04:59 PM
I would not post a lawn sign with your home security system's brand. It makes it easier for the smart criminals to hack. My security system is a fully loaded weapon backed by two dogs.

I live a-monk-s morons -- they think the cops will show up ----------- in time --

juskom95
03-15-2017, 05:45 PM

It is, or was, just one layer of my security. I like the piercing alarm.

juskom95
03-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Yes/no. If they are that smart, then they know that the majority of this equipment is made by the same few companies. This means, jamming the signals between remotes (the majority of security systems are wireless now) is going to be nearly the same for all of them.

hag
03-15-2017, 06:30 PM
There's this woman who randomly calls people and tries to sell them adt systems. It's annoying as hell when she calls but next time I hear from her, I will see what she would give for yours if you want me to

juskom95
03-15-2017, 06:41 PM
There's this woman who randomly calls people and tries to sell them adt systems. It's annoying as hell when she calls but next time I hear from her, I will see what she would give for yours if you want me to

I have actually never heard of that before.

Walter Tyler
03-16-2017, 11:37 AM
What frequency do they transmit on? Are they 433MhZ?

Gimme some model numbers and I will check the FCC.

Tons of fun to be had if you get the frequency... Kenneth.

juskom95
03-16-2017, 11:42 AM
What frequency do they transmit on? Are they 433MhZ?

Gimme some model numbers and I will check the FCC.

Tons of fun to be had if you get the frequency... Kenneth.

No clue actually, I'm not home. I'm ripping it out Friday night as I install the new system and more CCTV cameras.

I might post pictures of the carnage, alcohol intake dependent.

Walter Tyler
03-16-2017, 11:45 AM
If there are DIPs in the old ADT stuff ya might beable to use em with the simplysafe... all that crap has its own band. Some of the Leviton and Dx stuff has its own protocol but the cheap stuff just changes freqs... like the old Garage Doors.

juskom95
03-16-2017, 11:57 AM
If there are DIPs in the old ADT stuff ya might beable to use em with the simplysafe... all that crap has its own band. Some of the Leviton and Dx stuff has its own protocol but the cheap stuff just changes freqs... like the old Garage Doors.

I could hard wire them together, but the ADT system is old and unreliable, why I'm getting rid of it.

I did purchase the separate panel & box, so I have access to the 'brain,' to reprogram it.

Or I might just give it away or sell it, as my biggest problem was the ADT monitoring service, not the hardware (except the motion sensor, stupid lying salesman!!!!)

Walter Tyler
03-16-2017, 12:15 PM
https://www.fortresssecuritystore.com/

I use this... easily modded.
Blue Iris and VeraEdge.
It is CHEAP and with the right antennas I have motion sensors in bird houses 300yds LOS away.
Camera takes a pic and texts it to me... NO MONTHLY CHARGES.

But alas, it sounds like you already have the Simplysafe.

https://threatpost.com/hack-disarms-simplisafes-home-wireless-security-systems/116334/

Not that ANY of them are any more solid.

dudeman
03-16-2017, 12:16 PM
I bought one of those ADT signs you stick in your yard at a garage sale for $2. Its probably almost as effective as having a security system.

juskom95
03-16-2017, 12:21 PM
https://www.fortresssecuritystore.com/

I use this... easily modded.
Blue Iris and VeraEdge.
It is CHEAP and with the right antennas I have motion sensors in bird houses 300yds LOS away.
Camera takes a pic and texts it to me... NO MONTHLY CHARGES.

But alas, it sounds like you already have the Simplysafe.

https://threatpost.com/hack-disarms-simplisafes-home-wireless-security-systems/116334/

Not that ANY of them are any more solid.
That is an old method and works on any wireless FOB control. Cars, garage doors, security systems, computer logins etc. Give me the right tools, and I could/can get into your home or car easily.

This is why security is about layers. (Did I make a thread about it once?)

-Motion lights/signs/other deterrents (thorn bushes/poison ivy)
-CCTV (with alarms)
-Security System
-Reinforced Doors
-Dogs
-Firearms

Walter Tyler
03-16-2017, 12:24 PM
That is an old method and works on any wireless FOB control. Cars, garage doors, security systems, computer logins etc. Give me the right tools, and I could/can get into your home or car easily.

This is why security is about layers. (Did I make a thread about it once?)

-Motion lights/signs/other deterrents (thorn bushes/poison ivy)
-CCTV (with alarms)
-Security System
-Reinforced Doors
-Dogs
-Firearms

I Have a MOAT:o

Yep Layers... I know that you know what you are doin.

juskom95
03-16-2017, 12:27 PM
I Have a MOAT:o
Last time someone tried to break in (set off the alarm) I got there before the police did anyway. They managed to get the door open far enough to set off the alarm, but that was it.

Yep Layers... I know that you know what you are doin.
Or just fake it well.

EDIT: Oh, and for the moat.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/trebuchet/images/tower.gif

juskom95
03-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Walter Tyler,

You gave me a good idea. I'm going to leave all of my ADT signs up when I swap out the system. A little bit of 'social engineering,' there. If they don't know what type of system I have . . . hard to manipulate it!

Walter Tyler
03-16-2017, 01:06 PM
Walter Tyler,

You gave me a good idea. I'm going to leave all of my ADT signs up when I swap out the system. A little bit of 'social engineering,' there. If they don't know what type of system I have . . . hard to manipulate it!

COUNTER Intelligence