PDA

View Full Version : Pets: Whatcha Got? And How Are You Prepping For Them?

SquirrelBait
07-20-2014, 02:41 AM
I didn't turn up anything searching under pets. If this is redundant let me know and I'll delete it. What kinds of animals are your companions, And how are you planning for their survival if SHTF?

After I read "One Second After" I was terrified for my mutts. I started working hard to get in a year's worth of food for them. I've met that goal, And now I'm working on a new goal: A first aid kit for the mutts (Anything that I don't already have in my human kit that is specific to their unique needs). After I manage that I'll set another goal.

What's your pet prep?

Edit: Here is a link to the next logical question:

http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?842-Pets&p=5478#post5478

nephilim
07-20-2014, 03:57 AM
A cat. We have 2 months worth of fry food for her and she is Included in the water prep. 1 gallon per 2 months for her (she drinks surprisingly little) unless she goes to the stream near our house which is fine.

She is also an excellent hunter having killed 2 squirrels this summer and brought them home. Became a nice dinner for me and she had some also.

HuntingHawk
07-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Several rescued rottweilers. In addition to food, need ivomectin for heartworms & whatever for fleas & ticks. Some use trifexis for their dogs. Also have a trama kit for the dogs as well as penecillin.

SquirrelBait
07-20-2014, 08:40 AM
A cat. We have 2 months worth of fry food for her and she is Included in the water prep. 1 gallon per 2 months for her (she drinks surprisingly little) unless she goes to the stream near our house which is fine.

She is also an excellent hunter having killed 2 squirrels this summer and brought them home. Became a nice dinner for me and she had some also.

That's good. Any goals?

SquirrelBait
07-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Several rescued rottweilers. In addition to food, need ivomectin for heartworms & whatever for fleas & ticks. Some use trifexis for their dogs. Also have a trama kit for the dogs as well as penecillin.

That's great! Could you share with us what you put in your kit? (Looking for ideas)

machinejjh
07-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Two cats- one petite little girl, and big fat boy. I plan my stocks to feed three cats lol. I try to keep at least three 17 lb. bags at a time. The big monster gets nervous when he sees the bottom of his bowl. I like the idea of pet meds, and plan to add those to the stock when I can.

HuntingHawk
07-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Trama kit is a fishing tackle box so nothing gets crushed. Alot of dressings & gauze. Bottle of hydrogen peroxide & bottle of isopropyl alcohol. No drugs except for a bottle of asprin. Nylon medium & large muzzle. EMT sissors & some plastic mesh which can be cut to size as splints. Some different width 3M tapes. And a few other miscellaneous items like sissors for cutting hair around a wound to get a better look at it.

Keep in mind the kit is for assessing injury then to stabilize & transport if necessary. So no salves or creams are needed in the trama kit. Creams & such are kept in a separate bag in the refrigerator as well as a bottle of penecillin. The penecillin as well as syringe & needles you can purchase at any feed & seed or online.

nephilim
07-20-2014, 02:59 PM
That's good. Any goals?

The cat will do what it does in the day. But at night it gets its ration of biscuits and dry food. If the cat brings anything home, if it can be cooked and eaten, it will be. That's that.

SquirrelBait
07-20-2014, 05:07 PM
The cat will do what it does in the day. But at night it gets its ration of biscuits and dry food. If the cat brings anything home, if it can be cooked and eaten, it will be. That's that.

Sounds like a plan. Cats love to hunt. :)

SquirrelBait
07-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Trama kit is a fishing tackle box so nothing gets crushed. Alot of dressings & gauze. Bottle of hydrogen peroxide & bottle of isopropyl alcohol. No drugs except for a bottle of asprin. Nylon medium & large muzzle. EMT sissors & some plastic mesh which can be cut to size as splints. Some different width 3M tapes. And a few other miscellaneous items like sissors for cutting hair around a wound to get a better look at it.

Keep in mind the kit is for assessing injury then to stabilize & transport if necessary. So no salves or creams are needed in the trama kit. Creams & such are kept in a separate bag in the refrigerator as well as a bottle of penecillin. The penecillin as well as syringe & needles you can purchase at any feed & seed or online.

Thank you. Food for thought...

Arklatex
07-20-2014, 06:01 PM
http://everydayroots.com/flea-remedies

Some possibly effective natural flea and tick control. Flea drops are too expensive to stock very much, plus they expire. Not sure if it's OK to use expired meds. Flea control could become important in SHTF due to the fact that they can spread disease.

http://www.vetinfo.com/7-diseases-spread-by-fleas-and-ticks.html#b

Pauls
07-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Don't stock aspirin for your cats - it can make them very sick or kill them.

Doesn't garlic oil repel most insects?

Sparkyprep
07-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Two dogs, two cats. My daughter has a pet rabbit that will become dinner if SHTF. I have food supplies prepped for the dogs, and the cats can take care of themselves. They already eat more kills than dry cat food.

SquirrelBait
07-22-2014, 06:06 AM

You may want to look into powdered amoxicillin it might keep longer? I believe that fish antibiotics(And their uses) have been mentioned on PF as well.

HuntingHawk
07-22-2014, 02:49 PM
I didn't mention meds kept in the trama because I don't keep them there. I keep the meds in separate bags in both frig & freezer.

rice paddy daddy
07-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Besides 4 dogs as pets/early warning devices, we also have two horses (had 3, now 2), twenty chickens and one rabbit.
The wife is the animal doctor, there are bottles of injectible drugs in the fridge, pills of various types, syringes and needles, powders, syrups, etc.
I'm sure she could sew one up if she had to as well.

SquirrelBait
07-23-2014, 06:05 AM
I didn't mention meds kept in the trama because I don't keep them there. I keep the meds in separate bags in both frig & freezer.

No no. I meant in general for the amoxicillin and fish antibiotics. They might keep longer, So they would be the long term fall back. They could also be kept in the fridge.