PDA

View Full Version : Ever Wonder Why U.S. Marines Cannot Live Without Their “Woobie?”

hawgrider
03-21-2017, 10:13 AM
In the United States Marine Corps, we are referred to as “The Few, The Proud!” U.S. Marines are also known for their intestinal fortitude, toughness and all-around hard-charging attitudes. So why the hell do we all refer to our favorite piece of military issued gear as our “Woobie?!”

From my understanding, the poncho liner or “woobie” was developed during the Vietnam war. U.S. soldiers and Marines needed something to keep them dry on damp nights in the jungles of Vietnam. They also needed a solution for a bit of warmth during the cool nights in the jungle. The military poncho, as we know it today, along with the poncho liner were developed to address this need.

The woobie is constructed from 2 pieces of quilted nylon with a polyester filling. It has tie-down cords on all 4 corners so that it can be attached to the grommets on a poncho. There are various pattern choices available for the poncho liner. I own multiple versions consisting of the olive drab, ERDL and Woodland patterns. But in recent times, the MARPAT,

https://survivallife.com/u-s-marines-cannot-live-without-woobie/

juskom95
03-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Hey, the woobie is awesome! And its not just a 'Marine thing,' either.

I still have mine, and a collection in different patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6OgyF7Whbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6OgyF7Whbs

OSFG
03-21-2017, 09:28 PM
A well trained woobie is your best friend... But be alert, it can transform into the Z Monster on nearly any night....I still have my well trained, old, but still reliable Woobie.

BucketBack
03-22-2017, 05:35 AM
OD Poncho / Woodland Liner here

juskom95
03-22-2017, 08:05 AM
My wife used to make fun of me for keeping/buying poncho liners until a poorly planned camping trip.

Weather said one thing, reality was different and we ended up in below freezing rain without the right gear. So I gave out poncho liners to everyone and we used those with our sleeping bags and were nice and warm. It is probably one of the most used items I have from the Army (well, except my boots)

Ricekila
03-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Last time I saw mine -- it was on my front lawn -- in flames ---- divorce came soon after --

juskom95
03-22-2017, 08:51 AM
Last time I saw mine -- it was on my front lawn -- in flames ---- divorce came soon after --

She burned it!?

Ricekila
03-22-2017, 09:51 AM
And a lot of other stuff -- I'd have taken photos for court -- but my cameras were in there also -- I had 6 Canon A-1's -- two were out on loan at the time - I still have those --

juskom95
03-22-2017, 10:01 AM
And a lot of other stuff -- I'd have taken photos for court -- but my cameras were in there also --

It is wrong of me, but I did laugh at the irony in that . . .

My wife takes care of my poncho liners, but her father was Army and he had one too, so I guess that is part of it.

Ricekila
03-22-2017, 10:08 AM
It is wrong of me, but I did laugh at the irony in that . . .

My whole life is one big irony fest --

Ever tell you about the time she reached into my tool chest to throw something at me -- my iron I used to stick Formica edging on zipped right over my head -- what were we arguing about -- fixing the broken leg -- on her ironing board -- ya-cant make this shit up --

dudeman
03-22-2017, 07:40 PM

Ever tell you about the time she reached into my tool chest to throw something at me -- my iron I used to stick Formica edging on zipped right over my head -- what were we arguing about -- fixing the broken leg -- on her ironing board -- ya-cant make this shit up --

You should write a comedy of your life. You'll be a millionaire.

12vman
04-27-2017, 12:38 PM

Sounds like the time an old gf beat me with her penny loafers

Then a couple weeks later beat me
w her bookbag.

Crazy bitch....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Mister Mills
04-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Yeah, poncho liners are handy to have, on a chilly day.