PDA

View Full Version : They call me Mustard Nuts

Inor
03-21-2017, 07:00 PM
I got an idea after doing some smoked peanuts, inspired by Hawg. Last time I did them, I did two batches. One batch was honey, chili powder and brown sugar. The other was just black pepper, salt and olive oil. They both turned out good, but salt and pepper batch was really oily even after being cooked. So I had an idea to try something different.

Today I mixed up 2 teaspoons of black pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of regular cheap yellow mustard and 13 oz of raw peanuts.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag23/InorTheBloody/IMG_20170321_163449534_zpsiba1wutj.jpg

As I write this, I am waiting for the Egg to heat up to 350. Then I will smoke them for about 15 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes.

The idea is the same putting mustard on steaks. After they are grilled, you cannot taste the mustard but acts like a "glue" to hold the spices on. We'll see how it works out.

hawgrider
03-21-2017, 07:14 PM
I got an idea after doing some smoked peanuts, inspired by Hawg. Last time I did them, I did two batches. One batch was honey, chili powder and brown sugar. The other was just black pepper, salt and olive oil. They both turned out good, but salt and pepper batch was really oily even after being cooked. So I had an idea to try something different.

Today I mixed up 2 teaspoons of black pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of regular cheap yellow mustard and 13 oz of raw peanuts.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag23/InorTheBloody/IMG_20170321_163449534_zpsiba1wutj.jpg

As I write this, I am waiting for the Egg to heat up to 350. Then I will smoke them for about 15 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes.

The idea is the same putting mustard on steaks. After they are grilled, you cannot taste the mustard but acts like a "glue" to hold the spices on. We'll see how it works out.

Eagerly waiting for the test results.

Very short smoke time.... figgerin the mustard will hold tons of smoke?

OSFG
03-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Its 19 minutes later already....how'd it turn out!!!!!

Inor
03-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Its 19 minutes later already....how'd it turn out!!!!!

Just did the first turn. It is pretty windy so I am having trouble holding 350. I may go an extra 5 minutes, just in case. (I hate raw peanuts.)

Inor
03-21-2017, 07:46 PM
I ended up going a full 25 minutes. They are cooling off presently. I could not resist eating a few and the mustard seems to have done its job! They have plenty of salt and pepper on them and as the cool down, they are getting crunchy. The mustard also captured a lot of smoke. I am calling this one an unqualified success!

hawgrider
03-21-2017, 07:57 PM
I ended up going a full 25 minutes. They are cooling off presently. I could not resist eating a few and the mustard seems to have done its job! They have plenty of salt and pepper on them and as the cool down, they are getting crunchy. The mustard also captured a lot of smoke. I am calling this one an unqualified success!

Excellence... Its now on my short list!

hawgrider
03-21-2017, 08:03 PM
What wood did you smoke with?

Inor
03-21-2017, 08:24 PM
What wood did you smoke with?

Mesquite.

Update: They are starting to cool down and get crunchy and they have just a hint of mustard flavor. These babies are perfect beer drinking nuts.

hawgrider
03-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Mesquite.

Update: They are starting to cool down and get crunchy and they have just a hint of mustard flavor. These babies are perfect beer drinking nuts.

When you mentioned mustard and then honey from the last batch you did I immediately thought "beer nuts"

Inor
03-21-2017, 08:45 PM
When you mentioned mustard and then honey from the last batch you did I immediately thought "beer nuts"

The honey, brown sugar and chili powder ones I did last time were pretty close to the Beer Nuts. Although they did not have much kick for having so much chili powder in them. I think next time I do those I will try using Zatarain's instead.