PDA

View Full Version : Switchblade knives would be legal in Michigan under new bill

hawgrider
03-22-2017, 11:55 AM
LANSING, MI -- A state law banning switchblade knives is no longer necessary, says one Michigan Senator sponsoring legislation to strike it from the books.

"For years we've had on the books it's a violation to have a knife with a mechanical way of opening it. And this has led to a lot of people being charged with a one-year, high misdemeanor and it really isn't necessary," said Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge.

His Senate Bill 245 would repeal the part of the Michigan Penal Code that bans switchblades, making them legal throughout the state.

Currently the only people allowed to carry switchblades are those in the police,
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/switchblade_knives_would_be_le.html#incart_river_h ome

juskom95
03-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Another one of those idiotic, nonsensical laws that needs to go.

Mister Mills
03-22-2017, 01:51 PM
I hope that the law passes, I have lived in 2 or 3 states where switchblades are legal, they are handy to have in certain situations.
When I lived in WV, a state trooper showed up at my NG unit and sold them out of his trunk. And I am not sure if the were legal at the time, for civilians.

{I passed on them, since I carried a Kabar, exposed in the small of my back when in civvies, occasionally.}
{Ha, ha, ha! I feel pretty good about myself in ways...a Kabar! The local punks thought that I was nuts.}

Talon
03-22-2017, 02:38 PM
I don't want one myself, but I see no reason for them to be illegal. Most pocket knives made today are able to be operated with one hand anyway.

juskom95
03-22-2017, 02:41 PM
I don't want one myself, but I see no reason for them to be illegal. Most pocket knives made today are able to be operated with one hand anyway.

My unit learned the hard way that many of those have springs inside them, making them 'switchblades,' under the legal sense. Ever heard of the 'spring assisted,' knives? Those are switchblades.

hawgrider
03-22-2017, 02:57 PM
My unit learned the hard way that many of those have springs inside them, making them 'switchblades,' under the legal sense. Ever heard of the 'spring assisted,' knives? Those are switchblades.

Spring assist is legal here but switchblades are not...
Figure that one out.

juskom95
03-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Figure that one out.

I just perused MI's knife laws . . . those are screwy as hell!

Inor
03-22-2017, 03:18 PM
Figure that one out.

What is the difference?

hawgrider
03-22-2017, 04:24 PM
What is the difference?

Switchblade you push a button. Spring assist you push a lever of sorts. And spring assist open like a folder.
Switchblades used to spring straight out through the handle

OSFG
03-22-2017, 07:05 PM
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/switchblade_knives_would_be_le.html#incart_river_h ome

Cause Lord knows the only reason more people arent stabbed is because the attacker didn't get his blade open fast enough.

I had a teacher tell me my lock blade knife was illegal because it couldnt close on my hand if I tried to stab someone...

Inor
03-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Cause Lord knows the only reason more people arent stabbed is because the attacker didn't get his blade open fast enough.

I had a teacher tell me my lock blade knife was illegal because it couldnt close on my hand if I tried to stab someone...

You should get a Benchmade Infidel. I am pretty sure I cannot buy one, but I know you can. They are spendy, but damn what I nice knife.

hawgrider
03-23-2017, 04:16 AM
I just perused MI's knife laws . . . those are screwy as hell!

Yeah tough for a lawyer to figure out Mi. Knife laws.

Gambit
03-23-2017, 07:41 AM
and I can have throwing stars/ knifes and any concealed as long I have a concealed carry permit
I wonder if I can get one of those fancy shoes that have a blade in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRWUsFKfCcs

juskom95
03-23-2017, 08:06 AM
and I can have throwing stars/ knifes and any concealed as long I have a concealed carry permit
I wonder if I can get one of those fancy shoes that have a blade in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRWUsFKfCcs

KY's knife laws are pretty broad. One of the reason for me staying here in KY.

Gambit
03-23-2017, 08:10 AM
need to check on sword canes
now I can be a musketeer

juskom95
03-23-2017, 08:24 AM
need to check on sword canes
now I can be a musketeer

Sportsmans Warehouse in Lexington carries them, but they aren't capable of carrying any weight. One reason I have not purchased on yet.

Gambit
03-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Sportsmans Warehouse in Lexington carries them, but they aren't capable of carrying any weight. One reason I have not purchased on yet.
cold steel or m48 has heavy duty canes