PDA

View Full Version : Just had a very local power failure --

Ricekila
03-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Out on the main road an ambulance clipped a main feeder pole to my area about 7:PM --

As soon as I heard the ambulance sirens - I knew no power for a minimum of 2 hours -- pulled the generator cord -- started the first pull -- lights / heat / coffee --

Walked across the street and gave my buddy two flash lights & one lantern and told him to quit being a cheap bass-turd and get a genny --

Power just came back on -- for now ?

P/S -- the dork across the street had a crap load of solar panels dumped on his roof last summer -- his house should have been lit up like times square -- but it looks like the black hole of Calcutta over there ?

Save on my power bill by feeding the power grid fine -- pay the extra monies for a battery bank -- nope --

Baglady
03-22-2017, 09:52 PM
I'm with you on the solar power. Be nice to have it, but seems like a real pain in the ass, and major expense with the batteries.
At least you got the last laugh! Way to be prepared buddy.

TJC44
03-22-2017, 10:20 PM
They have been pushing solar up here alot, too. Of course everyone's panels are covered with snow right now. You hit on my biggest question: can I run on the solar if the street power goes out? I think if I had an independant system, with battery banks, and an A/B power switch. I'm not so sure with these subsidized systems (which I'm sure most are now)

Sparkyprep
03-23-2017, 06:01 AM
They have been pushing solar up here alot, too. Of course everyone's panels are covered with snow right now. You hit on my biggest question: can I run on the solar if the street power goes out? I think if I had an independant system, with battery banks, and an A/B power switch. I'm not so sure with these subsidized systems (which I'm sure most are now)

Nearly all solar systems are government subsidized. Its the only thing that makes them price competative.

Inor
03-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Nearly all solar systems are government subsidized. Its the only thing that makes them price competative.

I have not looked into it in detail yet, but there are a couple companies in Tucson that will subsidize solar for your house. It is a strange arrangement, but they come out and put their solar equipment on your house. You pay the company a flat monthly fee and use as much electricity as you can generate. But if a part goes bad, it is their responsibility to fix it. Of course, the company gets any state or federal grants. But you do not have any up-front costs to get you house on solar.

I am guessing it still would not be cost effective because our electricity is cheap as hell. But I am going to look into it further after we get done with the build.

juskom95
03-23-2017, 08:04 AM

It depends on geography. The closer you get to the equator, the more cost effective solar panels are. Up in NY is not as beneficial as down in AZ.

I have a small solar setup, but it is just designed to charge a small batter and an inverter. Enough to charge a cell phone or power a radio.

Ricekila
03-23-2017, 10:23 AM
And then -- theres this --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-Ehh0dUKc

juskom95
03-23-2017, 10:33 AM
And then -- theres this --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-Ehh0dUKc

A lot of companies/salespeople get irritated when one asks to read the contract first. That is usually a sign that one should "RUN LIKE HELL," from that company.