PDA

View Full Version : Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Join The Military

juskom95
03-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Don’t join the military.

Wait … what?

No seriously. If you’re looking out for what’s best for you, don’t join the military. It’s just not in your best interest.

To start with, you’re pretty much guaranteed to spend some length of time at the beginning being treated horribly. Very few other employers have “being screamed at for not ironing your shirt properly” as part of their new employee orientation programs.

http://taskandpurpose.com/heres-why-you-shouldnt-join-the-military/?utm_content=hp-facebook&utm_campaign=joining&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Radio
03-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Well. . I can honestly say that I regret not joining the Army back in '94 when I had the chance.

Inor
03-24-2017, 09:43 AM
The only regret I have in my life is not spending 4 years in the military.

KnuteFartne
03-24-2017, 09:46 AM
More of the snowflake generation that doesn't understand the importance of the training that goes into being in the military.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.

juskom95
03-24-2017, 09:46 AM
The article is tongue in cheek really, and it is pretty truthful in everything.

There are good points made throughout, but the title catches one's attention.

juskom95
03-24-2017, 09:47 AM
More of the snowflake generation that doesn't understand the importance of the training that goes into being in the military.

Read the article again, is it not military bashing.

KnuteFartne
03-24-2017, 09:54 AM
That's what I get for commenting without reading the article

juskom95
03-24-2017, 09:57 AM
That's what I get for commenting without reading the article

I thought the same thing at first, it is what got me to read it. I've read other articles from that site, and they are overwhelming pro-military.

I thought the article was good and honest really, especially when it came to employment and life experiences.

After nearly a decade of service, my employment prospects are hurting (very truthful in that, civilian employers want to start vets at the bottom rung most times) but I could never replicate my experiences I had while in (the good and the bad)

rice paddy daddy
04-15-2017, 11:25 PM
I beat the draft by enlisting in 1967.
The rules regarding Army Basic Combat Infantry Training (BCIT) had just been changed to where the Drill Sergeants were no longer allowed to physically strike recruits. Although it was still done. And they sure cursed a lot.
I wasn't about to let them order me to go to Vietnam, I beat them to it by requesting "overseas service in the Republic of Viet Nam". I still have my copy of the form.

Would I do it all over again? Absolutely.
Would I want my kids to do it? No.

FWIW - The Moving Wall, the travelling replica of the Vietnam Memorial, came to the city not far away this weekend. I went down today to pay my respects. 514 of my Brothers, fellow soldiers of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized), are on that wall.
They are not forgotten.

Perhaps that's why I'm in a sad mood.

Unclefred
04-15-2017, 11:42 PM
I could skip that and go straight to mercenary. Yeah, I know how.

Inor
04-15-2017, 11:42 PM
The rules regarding Army Basic Combat Infantry Training (BCIT) had just been changed to where the Drill Sergeants were no longer allowed to physically strike recruits. Although it was still done. And they sure cursed a lot.
I wasn't about to let them order me to go to Vietnam, I beat them to it by requesting "overseas service in the Republic of Viet Nam". I still have my copy of the form.

FWIW - The Moving Wall, the travelling replica of the Vietnam Memorial, came to the city not far away this weekend. I went down today to pay my respects. 514 of my Brothers, fellow soldiers of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized), are on that wall.
They are not forgotten.

You and I have gotten to know each other well enough over the years that I can honestly say that you are one of the folks (outside of my wife and kids) that I do love and look up to. But you sure were a dumb son of a bitch in your youth! :biglaugh: Thank-you for being a dumb son of a bitch.

juskom95
04-16-2017, 12:14 AM

They are not forgotten.

All the good, all the bad and downright stupid . . . I'd do it again. I would not be the person I am now without the military, it really teaches one how to take shit and make something out of it. How to beat your head against the wall day in and day out without getting a concussion.

rice paddy daddy
04-16-2017, 06:03 PM
I truly consider it a Blessing from God that He allowed me to go to Vietnam and return. And to have been a part of the 5th Infantry Division, Patton's Red Diamond Devils.
I actually thank my Lord Jesus each day for this, during my regular prayers.

I think enough of Inor and Slippy that I enabled them to become Associate Members of the Society Of The Fifth Infantry Division. They have no doubt read the quarterly magazines that come with membership and have learned of the history of the 5th, and camaraderie between its members.
It is my hope that they will one day attend one of our annual reunion/conventions and get to meet some of what I consider to be the best bunch of guys on the face of the earth.

OSFG
04-17-2017, 02:24 AM
If you look at joini g the service as a job...then i agree you shouldnt do it. Lots of folks in already doing that and they stand out from the ones who do it as a service to our country and feel the commitment to do so their core.

I have two sons in with a 3rd joing the Rangers this summer. I still serve. Why? Simple... its what God put in my heart to do....not for money...not for praise....just a feeling that i must be where I am.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

juskom95
04-17-2017, 08:08 AM
If you look at joini g the service as a job...then i agree you shouldnt do it. Lots of folks in already doing that and they stand out from the ones who do it as a service to our country and feel the commitment to do so their core.

That was part of the reason I initially enlisted, but not the reason I re-enlisted. After I got hurt the first time I had the opportunity to get out (medical chapter) but I realized I did not want to. Interesting realization.

GMFuzy
04-23-2017, 09:41 AM
I enjoyed this article, it is in fact very honest.
I don't regret my service in the Navy at all even though it didn't work out for me in the end and I got Hurt.
The military helped shape who I am, I joined as a street kid with a Mohawk, I learned the discipline I needed.
I was well aware of the risk of injury when I enlisted in the reserves in 2003 but I still went active duty for 5 years.
The biggest downside with the military I have found is when you are " spent" they give you the boot and expect the VA to handle things after- and most of us know how that goes.

OSFG
04-23-2017, 02:53 PM
I enjoyed this article, it is in fact very honest.
I don't regret my service in the Navy at all even though it didn't work out for me in the end and I got Hurt.
The military helped shape who I am, I joined as a street kid with a Mohawk, I learned the discipline I needed.
I was well aware of the risk of injury when I enlisted in the reserves in 2003 but I still went active duty for 5 years.
The biggest downside with the military I have found is when you are " spent" they give you the boot and expect the VA to handle things after- and most of us know how that goes.

It's not what have you done...it's what have you done for me lately....
once you stop being useful, it has no use for you. But people have to remember what a military is for...It sends the masses in to do a job and fully expects people to fall by the wayside. It cannot be like GM that bankrupted itself by unreasonable retirement practices. Its tax payer funded so I expect no special caring, feeling, concern, or empathy. It's just an uncaring machine and thats what it really has to be to be effective. I'm broken in half a dozen different ways....but thats life and thats from my decisions in life....so Uncle Sam owes me nothing in my view...the fact it lived up to the retirement check was good enough...and if it were to dry up...Thats ok...I have my own plan to get by.

slewfoot
04-23-2017, 03:31 PM
:samflags:Did my time and damn proud of it.

GMFuzy
04-23-2017, 03:48 PM
I got hurt in service ( spinal cord injury) for which i was medically discharged under honorable conditions without having a medical board, and was given a 0% service connection by a doctor that I had never even met - 4 days before I was set to reenlist under an approved contract that the Navy reneged on.
I knew I would have to fight the VA for benefits but never thought they would make it worse.
It took the VA nearly 4 years to even schedule me for " emergency spinal surgery"........ Which they botched by first overdosing me with anesthetic, then they replaced my neuro surgeon with a student from UCSD medical school who proceeded to punch a hole through my spine resulting in a prolonged cerebral spinal fluid leak that lead to deafness in one ear, benign positional vertigo, and increased paralysis in both of my legs now.
Lol
But wait there's more!
While transferring me to the icu post surgery the two male nurses dropped me off of the crashcart.
I'm not even going to lie, I have 12 pins in my back and a bunch of other issues directly related to this debacle, I feel that adds up to a little more than 0% for a service connected injury haha.
My first claim was denied because the VA lost my medical and service records, didn't ask ME for them at any time and then ultimately denied me because they spelled my name wrong and couldn't verify my service ( according to them).
My case has currently been certified as being on the docket with the bva since feb 2016 and I'm still waiting for my number to get called.

I loved my time in the Navy, but the VA is junk

juskom95
04-24-2017, 08:59 AM
I got hurt in service ( spinal cord injury) for which i was medically discharged under honorable conditions without having a medical board, and was given a 0% service connection by a doctor that I had never even met - 4 days before I was set to reenlist under an approved contract that the Navy reneged on.
I knew I would have to fight the VA for benefits but never thought they would make it worse.
It took the VA nearly 4 years to even schedule me for " emergency spinal surgery"........ Which they botched by first overdosing me with anesthetic, then they replaced my neuro surgeon with a student from UCSD medical school who proceeded to punch a hole through my spine resulting in a prolonged cerebral spinal fluid leak that lead to deafness in one ear, benign positional vertigo, and increased paralysis in both of my legs now.
Lol
But wait there's more!
While transferring me to the icu post surgery the two male nurses dropped me off of the crashcart.
I'm not even going to lie, I have 12 pins in my back and a bunch of other issues directly related to this debacle, I feel that adds up to a little more than 0% for a service connected injury haha.
My first claim was denied because the VA lost my medical and service records, didn't ask ME for them at any time and then ultimately denied me because they spelled my name wrong and couldn't verify my service ( according to them).
My case has currently been certified as being on the docket with the bva since feb 2016 and I'm still waiting for my number to get called.

I got lucky when I was discharged, because of the intense backlash and the amount of deployments from my installation, there was more scrutiny on the VA to make sure everything was correct BEFORE the end of a Soldier's enlistment. It was a new program they started in 2010 or 2011 I believe, where one goes through the VA screening process before they are discharged, to avoid the issues so many like yourself had. We were unique as our installation had an unusually high op-tempo and ratio of deployed units, so we got some special attention other installations did not.

The bright side is, they identified my injuries on paper and only almost killed me once.

GMFuzy
04-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Lol- I got out in April 09 just before they implemented most of those regs the following August I believe it was.
I was told at the time of my discharge that there wasn't going to be med board because my command was in Afghanistan ( I was home in port hueneme ) and they emailed what they had only in their tri care computers to a doc at camp Pendleton who called me and said he didn't have time to review my records. Literally 3 hours later at 1600 my home port liaison chief told me I had four days to get out.

juskom95
04-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Lol- I got out in April 09 just before they implemented most of those regs the following August I believe it was.
I was told at the time of my discharge that there wasn't going to be med board because my command was in Afghanistan ( I was home in port hueneme ) and they emailed what they had only in their tri care computers to a doc at camp Pendleton who called me and said he didn't have time to review my records. Literally 3 hours later at 1600 my home port liaison chief told me I had four days to get out.

I went through a med-board after my second deployment, for an injury on my first deployment, but at the time the Army was hurting for Soldiers, so the med board was more accepting/accommodating . . . as long as one could still deploy. They (my doctors) were going to med-board me in 2011, but it would have meant staying on active duty a year+ over my last contract (and potentially another deployment) and I was simply burnt out on deployments and the whole Army thing. I probably would have been medically retired (due to time in service and the injuries) but I was simply done, I wanted out and to spend time with my family.

rice paddy daddy
04-30-2017, 08:50 PM
I never even got an exit physical.
One day I'm in Cam Rahn Bay, Vietnam, 23 hours later I'm in Fort Lewis Washington. On a Friday evening. They separated out the guys who were getting out, told us the medics and doctors were off for the weekend. If we wanted we could get a physical on Monday, but otherwise they could have our paperwork done and have us out of there in about 10 hours.
You know what we did. The next day I was free on the streets of South Florida. After 12 months deep in indian country, it was quite a shock.

The VA has me in their health care system, Priority Group Six, Vietnam veteran. I do not use them for any health care beyond my yearly physical. They gave me hearing aids a few years ago, and if I ever come down with any of the diseases the VA associates with Agent Orange exposure they are supposed to give me treatment and a disability rating. But i'd most likely be dead before seeing one damn dime.

The VA Vet Center program did help me with my PTSD, but I never filed a disability claim. At that time I wanted nothing at all to do with the VA system.
Still pretty much don't.

Unclefred
04-30-2017, 09:12 PM
I had many older friends and family over there. None of them got killed, one did disappear though, probably dead. I think they all have had ptsd issues, some are dead in the last few years. A couple are soldiering on and successful. My respects to them all.

OSFG
04-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Lol
But wait there's more!

The VA is the Bureaucracy the Government pays to do their job...which is spend as little money as possible on you. I WILL NEVER GO TO A VA HOSPITAL.

Innkeeper
08-02-2017, 11:12 PM
I went through a med-board after my second deployment, for an injury on my first deployment, but at the time the Army was hurting for Soldiers, so the med board was more accepting/accommodating . . . as long as one could still deploy. They (my doctors) were going to med-board me in 2011, but it would have meant staying on active duty a year+ over my last contract (and potentially another deployment) and I was simply burnt out on deployments and the whole Army thing. I probably would have been medically retired (due to time in service and the injuries) but I was simply done, I wanted out and to spend time with my family.

I had much the same as you an injury from my first deployment made worst on my second, I was transferred from my unit to a WTB unit at Ft Stewart, and spent 4 1/2 years in the program getting medical work done and going through the board when they decided I could not be repaired. I was finally medically retired with just shy of 21 years, with both an army and a VA rating, I got lucky, but I know of the problems many of the others speak about on hear about VA issues with getting a rating. I am lucky and we have a decent VA clinic in town which is great for basic care and they have a great mental health clinic here also which I do use for PTSD issues. But I avoid all the major VA hospitals down in Detroit and such I just hope they keep the choice program which helps those who live so far away from big cities be able to use local civilian doctors.
To OSFG, RPD and all the other vets on here, I salute all of you for your sacrifice and thank you with all my heart. :9/11: :yourock:

Gambit
08-03-2017, 05:27 AM

They are not forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkGVpFoRXTI

Gambit
08-03-2017, 05:43 AM
my father and my brothers wanted me to join the marines or the navy
when I was thrown out as a freshmen my father was upset and same time he said me being size I was and at times stutter the drill sgt's will have a orgasm ripping me apart then making everyone else suffer because of it
which will end up me being a receiver of a blanket party

Dwight55
08-03-2017, 07:19 AM
I joined the USN in '63, did two tours on two different DD's, plus pulled a deployment year in Saigon and down in the delta with the very first (so I was told) PBR boat group on the rivers. We were up at Long Xuyen.

For the most part, . . . I had good officers, . . . good friends, . . . good duty, . . . we'll talk about the chow some other time though.

Do it over? In a heartbeat, . . . no questions asked. I get out the old uniform and if I'm able, . . . carry a rifle or a flag in the July 4th parade and the local county fair parade.

Got Agent Orange problems? I have no doubt, . . . VA says not. PTSD? Probably not, . . . but if I'm sitting on the front porch and just staring off in the distance, . . . just leave me be, . . . I'll be OK.

And like others, . . . been to the traveling wall, . . . will never go back again, . . . nor go to WDC, . . . I just thank God my name is not on it.

May God bless,
Dwight

juskom95
08-03-2017, 02:43 PM
I had much the same as you an injury from my first deployment made worst on my second, I was transferred from my unit to a WTB unit at Ft Stewart, and spent 4 1/2 years in the program getting medical work done and going through the board when they decided I could not be repaired. I was finally medically retired with just shy of 21 years, with both an army and a VA rating, I got lucky, but I know of the problems many of the others speak about on hear about VA issues with getting a rating. I am lucky and we have a decent VA clinic in town which is great for basic care and they have a great mental health clinic here also which I do use for PTSD issues. But I avoid all the major VA hospitals down in Detroit and such I just hope they keep the choice program which helps those who live so far away from big cities be able to use local civilian doctors.
To OSFG, RPD and all the other vets on here, I salute all of you for your sacrifice and thank you with all my heart. :9/11: :yourock:

I already knew my injuries couldn't be repaired, at least repaired to the point of making me deployable again and I knew a few in the WTU on base . . . they said it was miserable. They were in a perpetual 'sit around and wait,' every day. No work, not even crappy details or connex drills, nothing. It would have been four or five more years of doing nothing (if they didn't snag me for a deployment in that time!) so I said "screw it," and went civilian.

On a bright not, I might have FINALLY gotten a VA appointment after five years of trying!

OSFG
08-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Read the article again, is it not military bashing.

Initially I read it as bashing, however by the end I could see the intent of the article....Anyone who joins for any reason other than intention to serve and gain a unique perspective on the world is foolish or stupid, because no one outside of Generals and politician get rich working for the people.

There is lots of insight there, (if you've ever seen the Milky Way as I have) but also some some tongue and cheek that comes across hard.

I liked it.

Regrets.... Missed time with my family. Thats about it.

Innkeeper
08-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Initially I read it as bashing, however by the end I could see the intent of the article....Anyone who joins for any reason other than intention to serve and gain a unique perspective on the world is foolish or stupid, because no one outside of Generals and politician get rich working for the people.

There is lots of insight there, (if you've ever seen the Milky Way as I have) but also some some tongue and cheek that comes across hard.

I liked it.

Regrets.... Missed time with my family. Thats about it.

Amen

Innkeeper
08-03-2017, 10:13 PM
I already knew my injuries couldn't be repaired, at least repaired to the point of making me deployable again and I knew a few in the WTU on base . . . they said it was miserable. They were in a perpetual 'sit around and wait,' every day. No work, not even crappy details or connex drills, nothing. It would have been four or five more years of doing nothing (if they didn't snag me for a deployment in that time!) so I said "screw it," and went civilian.

On a bright not, I might have FINALLY gotten a VA appointment after five years of trying!

I got Lucky I only Spent 3 months at the WTU and got offered a slot in a CBWTU sent home to get medical work there and work for the Gov't in my home town. It worked out pretty good especially since I knew with the Back injury and 16 years in service they would not keep me but the slow process allowed me to finish up my time and I got my 20 years though I was listed as 70% by the Army. So I took the money and ran with it all the way back to college.

juskom95
08-04-2017, 10:16 AM
I got Lucky I only Spent 3 months at the WTU and got offered a slot in a CBWTU sent home to get medical work there and work for the Gov't in my home town. It worked out pretty good especially since I knew with the Back injury and 16 years in service they would not keep me but the slow process allowed me to finish up my time and I got my 20 years though I was listed as 70% by the Army. So I took the money and ran with it all the way back to college.

The WTU was brand new then (~2010-2011) so it was mismanaged pretty bad. One of the common occurrences there was paperwork being screwed up, so suddenly that injured soldier was now deployable again. So they would get deployed or moved to a unit and the process would reset.

Really the only thing I don't have is a retiree card, so not a big issue for me.