PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Offgrid Power Solution? Tesla to start selling Solar Roof Shingles

hawgrider
03-28-2017, 05:42 AM
http://offgridsurvival.com/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/2017/03/teslaroof.jpg
Tesla’s solar roof Photo courtesy of Tesla

Early next month, Tesla Solar will begin taking orders on their newest innovation, the solar power roof. Instead of installing huge bulky solar panels, panels that some neighborhoods consider an eyesore, homeowners will now be able to power their homes without attracting unwanted attention thanks to the new Tesla Solar shingle.

The solar-powered roof shingles were unveiled in October last year,
http://offgridsurvival.com/teslasolarroofshingles/

TJC44
03-28-2017, 07:56 AM
Hey, Inor,

Is it too late to change the roof on your house?

juskom95
03-28-2017, 08:18 AM
Those look neat, but Tesla has not release a price yet. One big thing about solar is the ROI (Return On Investment) on the system. A full house system could have a fifteen to twenty year ROI and with battery bank life at around the same length, the ROI is . . . squishy.

Unclefred
03-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Solar just doesn't work here. Now if they had cloud power!

Inor
03-28-2017, 12:49 PM
From what they told us when we were looking at it for the new house, the charge controllers and inverters have fairly limited life too (like around 8-10 years). Those are also pretty expensive. It seems the solar panels are the cheapest part of the whole setup.

juskom95
03-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Solar just doesn't work here. Now if they had cloud power!

My small setup here in KY is enough for limited emergency use. It is only a small panel and a single deep cycle battery. Its enough for phone recharging and powering a radio though.

Unclefred
03-28-2017, 01:55 PM
My small setup here in KY is enough for limited emergency use. It is only a small panel and a single deep cycle battery. Its enough for phone recharging and powering a radio though.

We have one on our hunting cabin that my son built 8- 10 years ago. The batteries are defective now. It used to run the lights and phonecharging.

MI.oldguy
03-28-2017, 05:02 PM
Big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ fer shure.

Sparkyprep
03-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Baby steps. We will get there. Thank God for visionary risk takers like Elon Musk.

juskom95
03-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Baby steps. We will get there. Thank God for visionary risk takers like Elon Musk.

Eventually. I'm not sure he is the 'Solar Power God,' though. This idea (solar panel shingles) was proposed many years ago.

Sparkyprep
03-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Eventually. I'm not sure he is the 'Solar Power God,' though. This idea (solar panel shingles) was proposed many years ago.

I dont think he is a solar power god. I admire the fact that he is not afraid to invest massive amounts of time, energy, and money into ideas that have no guarantee of working. Projects that most consider "impossible", or "science fiction", or too risky to be viable. Such as the Hyperloop project, electric cars, electric power storage, and space travel by humans to distances never before reached.

Unclefred
03-29-2017, 11:31 AM
Solar power is growing exponentially in efficiency and the costs are taking a similar arc downwards.

juskom95
03-29-2017, 11:36 AM
I dont think he is a solar power god. I admire the fact that he is not afraid to invest massive amounts of time, energy, and money into ideas that have no guarantee of working. Projects that most consider "impossible", or "science fiction", or too risky to be viable. Such as the Hyperloop project, electric cars, electric power storage, and space travel by humans to distances never before reached.

I'm not saying the technology is worthless, but many praise him without looking at his products. The Tesla cars are neat, but impractical for most (charge time, distance, load, etc). Same with the house battery bank he has marketed. They are neat, but not practical.

Solar power is growing exponentially in efficiency and the costs are taking a similar arc downwards.

Others know more about this than me, but it is not the panels that are the issue, it is the batteries.

Walter Tyler
03-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Yeah... not sure about Musk. Seems like a con man. I would bet most of his money is made from folks INVESTING in him and not actual SALES of products.
I would be on board with the roof tiles... for the right price.

juskom95
03-29-2017, 01:17 PM
Yeah... not sure about Musk. Seems like a con man. I would bet most of his money is made from folks INVESTING in him and not actual SALES of products.
I would be on board with the roof tiles... for the right price.

I have been fascinated with solar power since I was around ten or so, but I also realize its limitations. I'm hoping that these roof tiles are affordable when I start on my retirement home, or at least something I can look towards.