PDA

View Full Version : taters

Coppertop
07-20-2014, 04:09 PM
What can I expect from my potatos? Due to getting in to our house in early summer, I couldn't get a garden planted- On a lark I planted some old potatos to see what they would do. We just noticed them breaking ground about two days ago.

Any ideas on when to harvest or ????

dgmj10
07-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Hill them up a bit, you dontwant the tubars to be exposed to the sun. Harvest when the tops die off. Odds are you will only get some small taters. Unless by chance they were an early season variety.

Bigdogbuc
07-24-2014, 01:06 AM
What "D" said. Especially the hilling up part.

Coppertop
07-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks folks- I am hilling them up a little at a time as they were planted in a hole and I don't want to cover the plants completely.

Coppertop
09-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Got about a dozen very small potatoes sized from a child's fist down to a couple the size of my thumb. Wasn't much, but nice to have 1 meal from the "garden".

How did everyone else's garden fare?

Innkeeper
09-29-2014, 08:29 AM
What they said, I live up in Michigan's Potato country, and you can always tell when harvest season has started because of all the old Deuce and a half rolling around filled with taters, and I have yet to see that, but I do not know the weather there in your part of Montana either, we just hit Indian Summer.