PDA

View Full Version : 2 Ways to Make a Steam Pit for Camp Cooking

hawgrider
04-11-2017, 05:38 AM
The steam pit may not sound like an appetizing cooking technique, but wait until you try it. This primitive cooking method makes great tasting food that stays hot for hours. The steam pit is a hole in the ground (or a raised mound) with hot rocks at the bottom. These rocks are covered with dirt or sand, then wrapped food is sandwiched between two layers of green vegetation. This entire pile is covered with dirt and/or tarps to seal in the steam to cook the food. Follow the directions, and enjoy.
1. Digging In The Dirt

Start by digging a pit in the soil. The pit can be any depth and width, and it can be dug in the dirt, clay or sand. The pit can be small or as large as you have rocks and food to fill it with and about 2 feet deep. Any shape will work. Collect a pile of local rocks that are capable of handling a lot of heat. Make sure you have enough to fill the bottom of the pit,
http://www.outdoorlife.com/2-ways-to-make-steam-pit-for-camp-cooking

homefire
04-18-2017, 05:18 PM
And hours and hours and hours. Hi.

homefire
04-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Sorry, this thread reminds me of a great campfire with a sorted whopper mess.

homefire
04-18-2017, 05:23 PM
I wonder things like "How long you've been seeing me crying by a lake??"

homefire
04-18-2017, 05:23 PM
How many times do people have to bake?

hawgrider
04-18-2017, 05:38 PM
OK your posting totally irrelevant crap on threads. If this continues I'll put all your posts in moderation to be reveiwed before they will be allowed on the forum. You are leaving me leaving me no choice but to play moderator.

homefire
04-18-2017, 06:01 PM
I'm sorry. How can I make it up to you?

Inor
04-18-2017, 07:23 PM
I wonder things like "How long you've been seeing me crying by a lake??"

What the fuck are you talking about?!?! Quit acting like a retard or I'll bounce your ass! Half the site is blowing up on our mods because you are acting like a complete fucking moron!!!

Inor
04-18-2017, 07:32 PM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/2-ways-to-make-steam-pit-for-camp-cooking

When my mother in law was alive, she had a family of Mexicans living behind her. About twice per summer they cook these HUGE banquets in a steam pit. They would dig a trench about 20 feet long and fill it with food. I never ate any, but smelled crazy good. I may have to give that a try.

BucketBack
04-19-2017, 05:51 AM
We cooked a pig in the ground, got some beer on ice............

BucketBack
04-19-2017, 05:52 AM
We cooked a pig in the ground, got some beer on ice............

Think I'll try some steamed corn on the cob in season