PDA

View Full Version : New guy Can't post in hunting forum? (Video) 14 hogs in thermal eradication

theblakester03
04-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Hello, I'm Blake from Houston. Been lurking around for a while and decided to start sharing some info and personal hunts. It won't let me post in the hunting forum thought...this is what I was gonna share over there..
Started the night with a coyote shot from about 100 yds. Spun around for a few seconds and fell over. Bullet entered behind shoulder and exited front of shoulder. That video didn't record (forgot to enable video mode on the Reap-ir) but it did remind me to enable video on the scope which allowed me to get the next 14 confirmed hog kills from this sounder on video.
Couple hours later driving/scanning I spotted "a couple" hogs.....
equipment used: 12.5" ARP upper in 6.8 SPCII from Eric at Blackstone Arms. Reap-IR thermal scope from Cliff at Third Coast Thermal. Sig Sauer 762 titanium QD suppressor from Silencer Shop. Helmet mounted PVS-14. https://youtu.be/nVhzk5Kj-s0https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/c5f75f2f73f00cd26f1fe161b78344a2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/8d3fe6f7c457b0ba8a9cbc41f9d644a5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/6d2915f0056868bbe988f8219bd224a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inor
04-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Hey Blake -

Welcome from Arizona. That is some piece of shooting! Nicely done boyo!

I'll check into why you cannot post to the hunting forum in the AM. You should be able to. I have had a couple beers tonight and am just as likely to ban you as fix your problem if I try now. :biglaugh:

If you have been lurking, you know who we are. I hope you post more so we can get to know you.

theblakester03
04-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Lol! Thanks. I do plan on being an active member around here. Looking forward to sharing my opinions.. I mean knowledge.......

Unclefred
04-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Nice hunt, we don't have hogs here but I would love that kind of shootin. We do have plenty of coyotes though. Welcome aboard.

theblakester03
04-12-2017, 11:52 PM
Nice hunt, we don't have hogs here but I would love that kind of shootin. We do have plenty of coyotes though. Welcome aboard.

Thank you, id say several factors played into those hogs sticking around like that, including luck. Suppressor helps confuse them, they usually run from away the smack of the bullet impacting the hog, which allows u to drive them out into the open, taking out the lead sow confuses the rest of the group bc they're used to following her around all the time, those hogs probably haven't had any pressure on them at night with nv/thermal, luck, the way that field is set up with the fences, ditches, levies, field, wind direction and approach direction. Stars were lined up for me on that one.
Those 120 SSTs usually knock em down though, I'm kinda surprised those first few adults didn't go down sooner. Oh well definitely can't complain on that one!

RubberDuck
04-13-2017, 01:52 AM
Mmm welcome and we like fresh bacon..

A Watchman
04-13-2017, 01:54 AM
Glad your here Blake .... from a fellow Texan.

Gambit
04-13-2017, 03:14 AM
howdy from my kiddie pool of shame
http://i1.wp.com/www.lawlz.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/you-came-into-the-right-neighborhood-friend-pugs-dogs-meme.jpg?fit=600,9999

hawgrider
04-13-2017, 05:16 AM
Hey Blake welcome to OTP.

Specifically what was the problem with the vid in the hunting section? Couldn't embed the vid? Couldn't post the link like you did in this thread? If you tried to use the attachment feature the video is probably to big for that.
You should be able to post a vid or link where ever you want we dont restrict new members to a certain amount of posts here. Gimmie some details on the issue so we can help you figure it out.

hawgrider
04-13-2017, 05:56 AM
It looks like you used tapatalk and the video link in your first post was put in as a link not embedded. This is common with phones. To embed the video with a phone it takes a little more work to get it to embed. This is not a issue if you use a PC the embedding will work with out any issues. Your vid link on your first post looks like this-https://youtu.be/nVhzk5Kj-s0 with the url tags [URL] on each end of the link.

To embed with a phone is frankly a pain in the ass. It needs to be written as https://www.youtube.com/watch/v=nVhzk5Kj-s0 inside the video tags like
this-[ video]https://www.youtube.com/watch/v=nVhzk5Kj-s0[ /video]

Use the icon in the post window that looks like a filmstrip when posting videos then write it like I have shown but with no spaces in between the video brackets. Its only a pain in the ass with phones. Posting a vid with a PC is easy using the video icon. Tapatalk should be fairly easy to post the video but just don't use the attachment feature in tapatalk for videos the files are to large.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhzk5Kj-s0&feature=youtu.be

hawgrider
04-13-2017, 06:07 AM
Lol! Thanks. I do plan on being an active member around here. Looking forward to sharing my opinions.. I mean knowledge.......

Opinions are like assholes we have tons of both you will fit in real well here. So grab a chair and a beer and sit a spell.

juskom95
04-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Opinions are like assholes we have tons of both you will fit in real well here. So grab a chair and a beer and sit a spell.

http://i.imgur.com/6zqsPdK.gif

They're everywhere!!!!

Welcome to the madness!

Baglady
04-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Welcome aboard. Do you donate the meat from those hogs?

Dwight55
04-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Hello, I'm Blake from Houston. Been lurking around for a while and decided to start sharing some info and personal hunts. It won't let me post in the hunting forum thought...this is what I was gonna share over there..
Started the night with a coyote shot from about 100 yds. Spun around for a few seconds and fell over. Bullet entered behind shoulder and exited front of shoulder. That video didn't record (forgot to enable video mode on the Reap-ir) but it did remind me to enable video on the scope which allowed me to get the next 14 confirmed hog kills from this sounder on video.

Curious question, blakester, . . . do you have any serious opinions on the Pulsar XD 38 thermal sight? I'd love to have your rig, . . . but the pricetag is well over double anything I can afford.

From what I've seen, . . . it'll do coyotes out to 200 yds, . . . which will be my max range anyway for both where I am, . . . and my own capabilities.

My max is about 3K, . . . and I want thermal instead of IR, . . .

My son is going with IR, . . . so we'll have the best of both worlds when hunting together.

Thanks for any info you can supply.

May God bless,
Dwight

Sparkyprep
04-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Welcome from South Florida, and a fellow hogger.

Mister Mills
04-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Welcome bud. I have a renewed respect for the 6.8 SPC, I knew that it could kill, I just hadn't seen many kills made by it.

theblakester03
04-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Hey Blake welcome to OTP.

Specifically what was the problem with the vid in the hunting section? Couldn't embed the vid? Couldn't post the link like you did in this thread? If you tried to use the attachment feature the video is probably to big for that.
You should be able to post a vid or link where ever you want we dont restrict new members to a certain amount of posts here. Gimmie some details on the issue so we can help you figure it out.

I can't remember for 100% certain now but I think 90% sure it said I did t have access to post in that sub forum..????

theblakester03
04-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Curious question, blakester, . . . do you have any serious opinions on the Pulsar XD 38 thermal sight? I'd love to have your rig, . . . but the pricetag is well over double anything I can afford.

From what I've seen, . . . it'll do coyotes out to 200 yds, . . . which will be my max range anyway for both where I am, . . . and my own capabilities.

My max is about 3K, . . . and I want thermal instead of IR, . . .

My son is going with IR, . . . so we'll have the best of both worlds when hunting together.

Thanks for any info you can supply.

May God bless,
Dwight

Don't get the pulsar XD38! It was a great value optic 6 months ago, but Pulsar JJUST released their new line. Look at the pulsar Apex XQ38, Apex XQ50, Trail XQ30, Trail XQ38x, and Trail XQ50.

The new 30 (1.6x,{.. I think} 384 resolution, 17 micron, LED screen) replaces the old 38. The new 38 (2.1x, 384 resolution, 17 micron, LED screen) replaces the old 50. The new 50 (2.7x, 384 resolution, 17 micron, LED screen) replaces the old 75.
Going from 25 micron (old Apex) to the 17 micron (new models) allows a smaller germanium (objective lens) to bring in more info per pixel (or something technologically scientific like that).. which is good bc it brings down prices bc germanium is expensive and it allows them to use smaller lenses and get better quality.
LED screens (all the new models) are clearer/better than LCD screens (came on the old Apex __"A" models).
The Trail line has internal recording, wifi, internal battery pack, QD mount and multiple preset zeroes. The new Apex line (XQ) doesn't have those features but all of them have the better LED screen, and 17 micron cores and are cheaper.
LRF means it comes with a laser range finder attached to a picatinny rail on the side
XP models are 640 resolution. Pulsar did not previously have a 640 core scope.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170414/ec447e0074d7d5eab9b270a1de58be10.jpg
Make sense??

hawgrider
04-14-2017, 04:39 PM
I can't remember for 100% certain now but I think 90% sure it said I did t have access to post in that sub forum..????

Let me know if you still have trouble posting the vids and I try to walk you thru it.

theblakester03
04-14-2017, 04:40 PM
Welcome bud. I have a renewed respect for the 6.8 SPC, I knew that it could kill, I just hadn't seen many kills made by it.

Thanks! I'm actually not impressed with how it did on those first 8-9 shots... they normally drop or run 25-50 yards with 1 good shoulder shot. A few of those bigger ones took follow up shots and still ran! :/ but the Hornady 120 SST in 6.8 does perform really well imo

Walter Tyler
04-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Aloha from St Louis and SEMO

BucketBack
04-20-2017, 11:47 AM
howdy from Michigan

Deebo
04-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Wow, do you need some help?
Deebo is ready to come help get rid of those carcasses for you..
Welcome, and CHOOT EM CHOOT EM

theblakester03
04-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Thanks y'all! I try to keep freeezers full but this is pest control and sometimes I don't have the time or resources to get all the meat.

Slippy
04-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Hey Blake!

RWalls
05-05-2017, 07:42 AM
Glad you're here.

theblakester03
05-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Appreciate it. Gonna try to hunt this weekend. Hopefully it goes well