PDA

View Full Version : My own little SHTF/GHB event with epiphanies:

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 09:28 AM
We talk about a lot of what is, get home bags, etc. Now this is going to be a long post, (Like zerografuka long) but I've got a lot to say that I am dead serious about. I'm treating a frustrating event as if it were a little more major.

As most of you know, I work about 180 miles from home each week. I carry stuff with me in case of a breakdown on the road where I have to spend the night in the vehicle or if I should need to walk a few miles for help. I also have GHB stuff just in case one of "those" events leave me afoot with a long walk home awaiting me.

So here's the prologue to the story: my usually faithful truck won't start. I have replaced the part my mechanic friend suggested, checked a few things, and it just ain't happening. This is easter weekend and I'm supposed to be home with family. But the husband of one of my teachers has volunteered to drive me about 50 miles to a rendezvous point where my wife will either pick me up or leave me to the roving gangs, depending on her thoughts toward me at the moment.

I look at my GHB and EDC bags. Now, I've always had the idea that they work together when on the road. I can carry the separately or together as the case dictates. I also carry a rifle in my truck. Always have, well, for years anyway. On another forum there was a thread about a get home rifle. Well, I want to relay some things I learned about that idea that are not speculation, but right there type facts. That will be part 2.

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Ok. Now that I've hung my clothes, let's continue with my ramblings, musings, and pontifications. By the way, I was enjoying a nuke watch party last night, so forgive grammatical errors.

My thoughts on the rifle first. Is it comforting, yes. But even broken down, it's too long for any of my current packs. Of course, someone will say, " get an AR pistol." Yeah, well, I ain't got one. This is a run whatcha brung situation. And we are not in a WROL situation right now. But essentially I have to abandon my truck and get home. I can envision not wanting to draw attention to my self any more than I will naturally. I don't appear homeless, but a guy my age carrying a pack on the road does cause people to notice. I learned this a few months ago when my jeep was in the shop waiting on parts. I decided to throw on a day pack and walk into town for lunch and a few odds and ends. Damned near got hit twice while walking against traffic flow because of people staring at me. Now I realize that I am a unique type of handsome, but curiosity caused them to look, then their cars to drift onto the shoulder, causing me to move to the grassy ditch. Not fun.
Back on topic. I've looked at a rifle/pack combo that is big enough I could stuff quite a bit of gear into it. But it still screams rifle, at least to me. And I figure that given my area, most other people will see it too.

So, the rifle must be abandoned also. I don't like this one bit. But in a get home situation where we still have ROL, I just don't see a hitchhiker with a rifle getting many lifts. Better to have a good handgun, concealed and easily accessed. For the weight of the rifle, I could pack a couple extra loaded magazines, and extra box of shells, and more importantly I could pack more food.

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Part 3:
Looking at what I want to carry with me, I can leave one bag. But when I return in my jeep, I'm in the same situation again of having what I need with me on the road in case of a breakdown or such. So I look, naturally, at combining both bags to one.

Holy spaghetti-oley, talk about redundancy! Now, I try to carry enough in my vehicle bag to supply myself, my wife, and the granddaughter we normally have. But me moving by Myself? Well, crap in a hat, do I have a lot of unnecessary bulk. While I'm waiting on my ride and waxing philosophical here, I'm going to do some streamlining. BIG TIME.
I've learned this much in the past. There are certain items I use most when the three of us travel. The nalgene liter bottle of water, the first aid kit, and blanket/woobie. This to the point I have begun carrying extra water and everyone has a jungle blanket when we travel out of town. ( as a side note...last trip to Dallas for the birth ceremony I told my wife to make sure she remembered to bring her jungle blanket. I won't need it, she says .....she asked where my blanket was about halfway down on the drive. I responded that it is rolled up under my backpack. Where's hers? Well, that earned a kiss my ass response.)
Back to our story..the dilemma is: do I make my GHB bigger and EDC smaller? My edc is a sling bag, and while I love it for work and as an overnight bag, it SUCKS DONKEY GENITALIA for carrying heavier loads over time or distance. I started out with a bigger ghb that I also used for travelling luggage. But too big for an EDC, and honestly, work kind of frowns on several items I have in the bag. My edc has been cleansed of (most) of the contraband.

So what's a poor stranded wayfarer to do?

I'll post more on my experimentation if y'all are interested. If not, I'll shut up. But I'm going to play with this game for a while, even when I have a vehicle. A lot of preppers talk about how to escape to the woods and bugging out, getting home, etc. I'm going to try some stuff. And this won't be from the perspective of an athlete or young soldier. This will be how a chubby, out of shape by most standards, older middle age guy can drag his happy ass a couple hundred miles if need be. One of my spring and summer projects.

Slippy
04-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Keep going CD, interesting and thought provoking. Plus terms like "SUCKS DONKEY GENITALIA" are not used in everyday conversation nearly as much as they should. :thinking:

Part 3:
Looking at what I want to carry with me, I can leave one bag. But when I return in my jeep, I'm in the same situation again of having what I need with me on the road in case of a breakdown or such. So I look, naturally, at combining both bags to one.

Holy spaghetti-oley, talk about redundancy! Now, I try to carry enough in my vehicle bag to supply myself, my wife, and the granddaughter we normally have. But me moving by Myself? Well, crap in a hat, do I have a lot of unnecessary bulk. While I'm waiting on my ride and waxing philosophical here, I'm going to do some streamlining. BIG TIME.
I've learned this much in the past. There are certain items I use most when the three of us travel. The nalgene liter bottle of water, the first aid kit, and blanket/woobie. This to the point I have begun carrying extra water and everyone has a jungle blanket when we travel out of town. ( as a side note...last trip to Dallas for the birth ceremony I told my wife to make sure she remembered to bring her jungle blanket. I won't need it, she says .....she asked where my blanket was about halfway down on the drive. I responded that it is rolled up under my backpack. Where's hers? Well, that earned a kiss my ass response.)
Back to our story..the dilemma is: do I make my GHB bigger and EDC smaller? My edc is a sling bag, and while I love it for work and as an overnight bag, it SUCKS DONKEY GENITALIA for carrying heavier loads over time or distance. I started out with a bigger ghb that I also used for travelling luggage. But too big for an EDC, and honestly, work kind of frowns on several items I have in the bag. My edc has been cleansed of (most) of the contraband.

So what's a poor stranded wayfarer to do?

I'll post more on my experimentation if y'all are interested. If not, I'll shut up. But I'm going to play with this game for a while, even when I have a vehicle. A lot of preppers talk about how to escape to the woods and bugging out, getting home, etc. I'm going to try some stuff. And this won't be from the perspective of an athlete or young soldier. This will be how a chubby, out of shape by most standards, older middle age guy can drag his happy ass a couple hundred miles if need be. One of my spring and summer projects.

Inor
04-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Keep going CD, interesting and thought provoking. Plus terms like "SUCKS DONKEY GENITALIA" are not used in everyday conversation nearly as much as they should. :thinking:

I'm with Slip. Keep going. And please weave more "Coastieisms" into your tale.

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the support, guys. I'm going to post some pictures of gear set-ups throughout this. Now, we all know I'm not technologically proficient, so when these pictures turn out sideways or upside down, or whatever, feel free to correct them as you see fit.

DerBiermeister
04-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Spend some money and get yourself a Ruger Takedown SR-556.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ehlerMfQQ

BucketBack
04-15-2017, 11:56 AM
All my AR's come with Takedown pins.Please notice the pin @ 2o'clock off the selector

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/aquahull1/SAM_0617_zpsoqx9wjpz.jpg*
the LE6920 has been transformed into a 6921 with a simple pull of the takedown pin and pivot pin.
But the LE6920 has been replaced on Tuesday with anutter one
I replaced the SPARC with a AimpointML3 on a LT-150 QD mount

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 12:00 PM
I have an AR. Taken down, still too long for what I have now. (Kind of like my first girlfriend in high school said.)

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 12:02 PM
And remember, I'm doing this as a run whatcha brung situation, all the way through. If feces occurs randomly, we can't hit pause and go buy something different. Have to go with what I have right then.

BucketBack
04-15-2017, 12:05 PM
All my AR's come with Takedown pins.Please notice the pin @ 2o'clock off the selector

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/aquahull1/SAM_0617_zpsoqx9wjpz.jpg

Per the OP's scenario a Glock 19 or S&W M&P 9 with 4 or 5 loaded mags should keep there heads down while you run and hide.
I say 9mm because you get more bang for the weight and polymer to save weight also

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Here is the first rig I have put together

Trying to get another pic to upload , but having an issue.

Anyway, this is the 5.11 moab 10, much usual EDC. Ithe usually runs a 3 season water repellent windbreaker, bucket hat, shemag, and cheap poncho. Along with this, 3 clif bars, mylar blanket, flashlight, fire kit, liter of water, a hygiene kit, wet wipes, IFAK, jungle blanket, paracord (20'), spare glasses, Leatherman, spare batteries for light, pen, paper, and my code book for personal info, along with $100.
(Remember, I'm subject to overnight quarantines at work. I have a change of clothes there. My office is my hotel room.)

To this I've added gym shorts and a t shirt, socks, underwear, water purification tablets, my garmin e-trex, compass, state map, and my truck first aid kit, and toilet paper of course. (That's the huge bag in the middle.) Tucked in the secret pocket is my Sig 2022 and one spare magazine. This is not easily accessible, by the way, if you have much in the body of the bag, I don't care what 5.11 advertises. I carry a 649 in a leather pocket holster for immediate action.

On my cushiony soft, yet oddly appealing body, I carry a Kershaw speedsafe, a surefire 6x, and my wallet, cell phone, and a small altoids tin fire kit.

I have no idea what this weighs currently because I have an aversion to scales. But the balance is surprisingly good at this point. Now granted, this is more mission oriented to being vehicle bound home, and one or two nights. I'm pretending the whole trip is in someone else's car, changing cars. As if I were hitchhiking and fortunate. But this is a start. I could sleep out for a night or two and still keep myself looking presentable rather than looking like a bum. That may help keep the gendarmerie off my ass.

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Yup. Pic is sideways...phuque..

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Pic 2

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 01:01 PM
First thoughts are that while this great for an EDC bag down here in the city, it falls short for a GHB if it takes more than a couple days or so to get home and still maintain a presentable appearance to the common person I may happen across. I know this sounds odd to be concerned about appearance, but there are too many monkey nut suckers out there with shiny rifles just itching to shoot a guy during SHTF. I know, because they post it. So I can either look like a bum and be a target for the trigger happy prepper going to defend his BOL, or I can look well kept and be a target for the scavengers.

Guess I'll have to figure out a balance in this.

TJC44
04-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Coastie, first hand experience is good experience. Keep us posted, please. You said you're in the Dallas area? Is your ride home friendly?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Actually, I'm outside of little rock right now. The first ride home is friendly, I think...I've only met him a couple times. One of my coworkers SO. But he seems like a good fella.
The second ride home is my wife. That's the dicey part..

Coastie dad
04-15-2017, 02:01 PM

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/aquahull1/SAM_0617_zpsoqx9wjpz.jpg

Per the OP's scenario a Glock 19 or S&W M&P 9 with 4 or 5 loaded mags should keep there heads down while you run and hide.
I say 9mm because you get more bang for the weight and polymer to save weight also

Yep. Read my loadout for this trip and you'll find the polymer framed Sig 9, for just about the exact reasons you stated. I had my choice to bring my 1911, but chose the 9 for weight and capacity. Of course the 649 is stuffed in front pocket as a first responder.

First ride is on the way to pick me up. I'm thinking about having him drop me a couple miles from the rendezvous point. It's 80 some degrees, sunny, and fairly humid. The terrain would be urban, rolling hills, walking alongside a state 4 lane highway.

juskom95
04-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Keep sharing, interesting.

Coastie dad
04-16-2017, 12:06 AM
Ok..short note: according to the guy on the other thread, he can carry a 55# ruck, with weapon, and do 27 miles in about 6 hours. Roughly 4.5 miles per hour.
My bag weighed a little over 15, and according to my Garmin I averaged 2.7 mph for 2.2 miles. Knowing I'm not a high speed low drag strak assed special operator recon navy ranger like this guy makes himself out to be, what do you guys think about his claimed speed of over 4 mph with 55# plus weapon for a continuous 6+ hours?

Inor
04-16-2017, 12:29 AM
Ok..short note: according to the guy on the other thread, he can carry a 55# ruck, with weapon, and do 27 miles in about 6 hours. Roughly 4.5 miles per hour.
My bag weighed a little over 15, and according to my Garmin I averaged 2.7 mph for 2.2 miles. Knowing I'm not a high speed low drag strak assed special operator recon navy ranger like this guy makes himself out to be, what do you guys think about his claimed speed of over 4 mph with 55# plus weapon for a continuous 6+ hours?

Something less than zero. I KNOW from a lot of experience traveling cities I do not know on foot, that I can do about 3 MPH walking briskly without any weight.

A couple summers ago I was in London and wanted to see the tourist sights before I flew out. I was staying by the Tower of London. I left hotel about 6AM, walked to the south side Themes and followed the river to Westminster. I walked across and walked up to Buckingham Palace, then over to Piccadilly Station and caught several trains to Heathrow. I was dragging about 35 pounds in a roll-aboard suitcase the whole way. I figure I walked about 5 miles. It took about 3 hours. I stopped once for about 30 minutes by Big Ben for coffee and once at Buckingham for about 20 minutes to watch the changing of the guard and snap some photos.

That guy is full of shit.

hag
04-16-2017, 12:31 AM

He's in better shape than I am for sure

BucketBack
04-16-2017, 06:23 AM
I can carry a loaded ruck with 200 rounds and a carbine for 5 miles. It will take all day and I'm staying the day after.

hawgrider
04-16-2017, 08:38 AM
I can carry a 10 lb ham in one hand and a 5th of booze in the other to the backyard BBQ grill in under a minute.

Coastie dad
04-16-2017, 08:49 AM
Ok...years ago we were tdy to a ranger Bn. It was a training gig, where a ranger company worked with an E troop cavalry. (In case you don't know, a troop designated E was an independent company sized unit that in itself was a combined arms team.)
Onwards... they were familiarized with our equipment and we did a week long introduction to ranger tactics. Being the tall handsome devil I was back then, I was blessed enough to carry the M60 on a 15 mile march. It was over 90 degrees that day, it took us just over 6 hours by the time we fought our way out of an ambush about mile #12.

I kissed my M113 when we got back. With tongue...and i didn't care who watched...

A Watchman
04-16-2017, 09:17 AM
I can carry a 10 lb ham in one hand and a 5th of booze in the other to the backyard BBQ grill in under a minute.

Thanks for the laugh today Hawg! Its sooo true huh?.

hawgrider
04-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the laugh today Hawg! Its sooo true huh?.

Yes it is. The hike on the run days with a pack on my back are over. If Im over run you will find me laying in a pile of my own hot brass. :)

Coastie dad
04-16-2017, 02:52 PM
One of the reasons I'm playing this game. I'm going to start experimenting and see what I can do. The other day I did 3 miles in under a hour, no pack. I thought my left hip had been dislocated and relocated to my ass. Fast walk, long strides, uh uh, baby. Not anymore.

hawgrider
04-16-2017, 03:12 PM
One of the reasons I'm playing this game. I'm going to start experimenting and see what I can do. The other day I did 3 miles in under a hour, no pack. I thought my left hip had been dislocated and relocated to my ass. Fast walk, long strides, uh uh, baby. Not anymore.

Absolutely. Do it while you can!

BucketBack
04-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Like I said ,I can do 5 miles in a day, and rest in place for the next day.

hawgrider
04-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Like I said ,I can do 5 miles in a day, and rest in place for the next day.

Your in pretty good shape for an ole fart!

BucketBack
04-16-2017, 06:31 PM
I got the woods right behind me

Kfilly
04-16-2017, 06:54 PM
I have an AR. Taken down, still too long for what I have now. (Kind of like my first girlfriend in high school said.)

You might want to look at a new pack. I love my Karrimor Sabre SF 45. I did a review on it in the Gear Review section of this site. You can get a Yoke and a pair of Sabre pouches for EDC (makes a 25 Liter pack). The Sabre pouches attach to the 45 liter main pack to make a 70 liter pack. The main pack is on the taller and skinnier side. Som you should be able to carry a takedown rifle inside the main pack. It is not cheap though. I bought the entire set up I described from Amazon for about $225.

Below is a link to the review I mentioned.
http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?7531-Karrimor-SF-Sabre-45-backpack-review

homefire
04-16-2017, 07:02 PM
This is interesting I hope you continue on your journey.

Kfilly
04-16-2017, 07:07 PM

Maybe, it is possible, but I have a hard time believing the guy could carry a 55 pound ruck at 4.5 mph for six hours straight. I have carried my INCH (roughly 65 pounds) bag up the bluffs by my house. That would be the absolute worst terrain I would expect to encounter in a bug out situation. Anyway, I did about 5 miles in about 2 hours. Granted this was up steep hills. I could see hiking hiking a couple hours or more depending on how you feel followed by a minimum of a half hour rest. Keep repeating that cycle. I would also rest more often than you think is needed.

Coastie dad
04-16-2017, 11:43 PM
Quick update:
Precipitation is sometimes inconvenient. If you have a poncho, make sure it will fit over you and your pack COMFORTABLY. Note that word I used? If not, you best have a rain cover for the pack. Bear in mind, I'm still using my sling bag for the first part of this endeavor because it's what I had availablewhen I was left afoot. No, I'm not running to the store and buying a $200 pack. No. No. No. (Well...maybe later on...but I have another pack in my viewfinder..)

Ground cloth and Tarp! Yes, I know you can use the poncho...but if you have the poncho stretched out for a shelter and you need to gather wood or water, yo' bohunkus gets soaked.
And that crap of setting up before the storm hits? Yeah.. whatever. Maybe you need to be moving when said rain begins because you are being chased by drug addicted zombie fudge packers. You may want to set up a dry camp, but I'm going to try for that 4.5 mph march speed in that situation.
I don't think the weight would be that much more, but well worth the addition I think.
Now, if you'll remember I had packed both a cheap poncho AND a water repellant jacket. But a heavy rain would have made this uncomfortable to say the least.
More later...I may have to save long hikes for after school ends, but I need to figure out how much food I would need, and the weight as well as bulk. What you need to huddle in place 3 days isn't what you need for walking with weight. I know I would lose weight, but still need to maintain energy and relative health to walk, because if I plan for 20 days, and it takes me 24, that's 4 days without food, and that would cause me to get weaker, causing me to increase time traveling. And everyone's caloric needs are different.

juskom95
04-17-2017, 08:12 AM
Maybe, it is possible, but I have a hard time believing the guy could carry a 55 pound ruck at 4.5 mph for six hours straight. I have carried my INCH (roughly 65 pounds) bag up the bluffs by my house. That would be the absolute worst terrain I would expect to encounter in a bug out situation. Anyway, I did about 5 miles in about 2 hours. Granted this was up steep hills. I could see hiking hiking a couple hours or more depending on how you feel followed by a minimum of a half hour rest. Keep repeating that cycle. I would also rest more often than you think is needed.

In my prime, I could have done that, and we did that (or faster) in the Army for regular PT. Now, after four+ injuries and a decade later? Its not going to happen. Oh I'm confident I could force it and get to that pace for a single day, maybe stretch it to two but not without causing permanent injury (again) and in the long run, that does not help any in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI/WROL situation.

hag
04-17-2017, 09:33 AM
In my prime, I could have done that, and we did that (or faster) in the Army for regular PT. Now, after four+ injuries and a decade later? Its not going to happen. Oh I'm confident I could force it and get to that pace for a single day, maybe stretch it to two but not without causing permanent injury (again) and in the long run, that does not help any in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI/WROL situation.

This is why God made horses and saddlebags lol

juskom95
04-17-2017, 09:35 AM
This is why God made horses and saddlebags lol

I can't fit a horse in my car's trunk . . . . maybe three or four bodies, but not a whole horse!

homefire
04-17-2017, 10:11 AM
Your car must have a huge trunk? I guess you didn't say what size bodies :thumb:

I can walk a pretty good distance, I have no idea how far I could go if I was carrying a pack. I really need to experiment myself.

juskom95
04-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Your car must have a huge trunk? I guess you didn't say what size bodies :thumb:
Crown Victoria.

I can walk a pretty good distance, I have no idea how far I could go if I was carrying a pack. I really need to experiment myself.

I did that a few years ago and I got one hell of a wake up call, and I realized I'm not 20 something anymore and in my prime!

Coastie dad
04-17-2017, 12:37 PM
I think a lot of people will be very surprised at their actual ability.
I first began realizing this when I noticed I didn't look quite the same when shirtless with a cravat wrapped around my head for a sweatband as I did 30 years or so ago.

Kfilly
04-17-2017, 12:47 PM

That is the problem. Most of us are not young and dumb anymore.:thumb:

Coastie dad
04-17-2017, 04:33 PM
Well, I was going to do another experimental hike tonight. But after the day I had dealing with enabled teen spodas and the wanna be spodas I'm afraid if I went walkabout I'd go full Rip Van Winkle and just not bother coming back.

hawgrider
04-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Well, I was going to do another experimental hike tonight. But after the day I had dealing with enabled teen spodas and the wanna be spodas I'm afraid if I went walkabout I'd go full Rip Van Winkle and just not bother coming back.

Must be Miller time then. Mondays are rough.

Coastie dad
04-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Honestly, no bullshit...

We are in the office discussing quitting. I have a high level meeting coming up soon to open negotiations before I have to present a program to the state department.
And it ain't looking pretty. Guess that's one of the reasons I'm not real wound up. Im doing the corporate professional act right now.

Coastie dad
04-19-2017, 11:36 PM
Betcha thought I forgot, didnja?

So... calculations...
I've been doing some 3-5 mile walks occasionally, but not as often as I should. I really think I could do 5-8 miles per day by splitting my day. Walk so much in the morning, rest for an hour or so, then repeat in the afternoon. Granted, may not be able to do that based on outside influences, but it's a place to start. Of course I'm going to submit this to trial, but something else has really gotten my attention.

According to hiking calculations, I will need approximately 1600-2000 calories per day, based on my weight with pack, age, terrain, etc. Now, if I can only make 5 miles per day, that 36 days travel.
Thats a hell of a lot of food, not to mention water. Wonder how many "bug out Billy's" have really sat down and figured this out? Yes, I know most are going to live off the land, yada yada... Daniel Boone....yada yada...just like the other 35000 people in your area.

So..my first calculation challenge will be to figure out how much food I can carry. This automatically means my pack gets reorganized. Some stuff has to go.
I'm also going to change packs at this point. The s done htf, and if it hadn't been for snagging rides, I doubt I would have survived the journey on foot.
Time to revisit the set up. Then, trial hikes to see how far I can reasonably travel with the increased weight.

BucketBack
04-20-2017, 05:48 AM
I walked a mile and a half yesterday with just my first line belt and coffee cup. All on a logging road in the Manistee National Forest. I forget the fanny pack, so add a few more lbs and I'm going to be worn out by mile 4.
So a revision is in order. 5 miles with no pack is an issue this spring

The OP is doing well

Coastie dad
04-20-2017, 07:05 AM
Ain't it amazing the time between active service and now how much we have lost?
I'm glad reality kicked me in the hoo-hoos before an actual"do it for real" event occurred.

I fully begin to understand when they say we could lose 90% of the population in the first year.

TJC44
04-20-2017, 07:17 AM
So, I guess you're back at work?
...like the rest of us?

Coastie dad
04-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Urgh...yep. CEO dropped by my office after the meeting with a temporary band aid solution to one of the problems. Enough we could keep going, but being the Liaison between a for profit corporation and a state board of education....crap. Even Just For Men ain't gonna touch all these gray hairs. And that little Zantac fireman? He set up a substation in my office.

But, I'm a mercenary whore, so I guess if the checks continue to clear...

juskom95
04-20-2017, 10:39 AM
I fully begin to understand when they say we could lose 90% of the population in the first year.

I believe a lot of 'survival,' is willingness too, or rather stubbornness. That ability to not give up and not stop. That inner voice that always says "one more step," or "one more minute." Not everyone has that inner voice or that sheer stubbornness to not quit.

But, I'm a mercenary whore, so I guess if the checks continue to clear...

In today's world, one has to be somewhat mercenarily* to survive.

*I found a new word!!!!

Coastie dad
04-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Mercenarily: a mercenary action.

Mercenaryish: behaviors resembling that of a mercenary.

Yup. I mercenarily continue to work here.

Good job, Juskom!!

juskom95
04-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Mercenarily: a mercenary action.

Mercenaryish: behaviors resembling that of a mercenary.
It has been my mindset since I left the service. I do the job I am paid for.

Yup. I mercenarily continue to work here.

Good job, Juskom!!

Now, I need to find a way to:
1-Use it in conversation, during a meeting
2-Put it in an official work e-mail
3-Get others at work to use it

Coastie dad
04-20-2017, 12:14 PM
It has been my mindset since I left the service. I do the job I am paid for.

Now, I need to find a way to:
1-Use it in conversation, during a meeting
2-Put it in an official work e-mail
3-Get others at work to use it

Use in conjunction with trump resistance and I bet they pick it right up.

Baglady
04-20-2017, 10:19 PM
CD. First of all, You GO Man!
Inspiring and full of wit. Love this thread.
We can all learn from your experiment, but, I think I'll start walking again myself.
I was walking 2 miles a day, for over a year, and part of that was a major uphill area.
I tried to teach my GSD to pull me. He said "Screw you, do it yourself you lazy heffer".
I wont add any weight besides our water bottle to start, then build myself back up. :thumb:

Coastie dad
04-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the encouragement. Seriously.

I've been delving around the bushcraft forum trying to figure out how they do extended hikes and the food/water thing. Bug out talk over there is kind of looked down upon, but tolerated. So I approach everything as a hiking interest.

One thing I learned recently that may interest all the fogeys is the use of two trekking poles for walking. This is not only to help prevent stumbling and assist when climbing, but the use of two poles helps keep your body aligned correctly, taking stress off back and muscles.

TJC44
04-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Thank you for the encouragement. Seriously.

I've been delving around the bushcraft forum trying to figure out how they do extended hikes and the food/water thing. Bug out talk over there is kind of looked down upon, but tolerated. So I approach everything as a hiking interest.

One thing I learned recently that may interest all the fogeys is the use of two trekking poles for walking. This is not only to help prevent stumbling and assist when climbing, but the use of two poles helps keep your body aligned correctly, taking stress off back and muscles.
You're on Bushcraft USA?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Coastie dad
04-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Yep. Different name. I don't want those nice people drifting over here and accidentally finding out what a jackass I truly am.

The gentleman side of me is black5.

BucketBack
04-21-2017, 03:36 PM
This guide is for beginners. We'll explain what we're doing here. Take your average American, and thrust him into a position where he must defend his way of life against terrorism, tyranny, crime, invasion, or any other threat or emergency. To what degree should he train? What kind of gear should he have? Add to these the facts that he is working a steady job, has a great deal of family commitments, and would still like to see a hockey game or a movie now and then. You will find that he has very little time to train, very little money to spend on gear, and very little energy left to pursue the causes of freedom.

A) COMPLETE A TWO-MILE HIKE WITH ALL BASIC EQUIPMENT WITHIN 48 MINUTEs (Persons wishing to branch off into The Scout Unit will have to complete this hike in 40 minutes or less.)You will also be required to carry any shooting aid that you intend to use in your rifle qualification.

It is important to be able to get around on foot. It is possible that, under any number of circumstances, travel by other means will be difficult or impossible. A short, two-mile hike at a slow to moderate pace is a good measure of your mobility.

http://www.freewebs.com/westmivolunteermilitia/level1rifleman.htm

Coastie dad
04-22-2017, 10:24 PM
And we'll be back to the regularly scheduled topic of this thread by tomorrow evening.
In the next issue: planning water resupply stops. Not as easy as it sounds...

BucketBack
04-23-2017, 05:32 AM
And we'll be back to the regularly scheduled topic of this thread by tomorrow evening.
In the next issue: planning water resupply stops. Not as easy as it sounds...

I have swamps at 3/4 mile intervals, but I don't want to try my water filter yet...........

BucketBack
04-23-2017, 08:41 AM
Just did 1 mile in 21 minutes with 35 # of gear

The first line belt, with first aid kit,G19 and 2 spare mags,water bottle,KBar Utility Knife

and a 3 day pack. In OCP with T shirt,undies,socks,towel,long sleeve T shirt,water and filter,MRE,trail mix,gloves,Imitation paracord

Cherry blossums are plentiful in all their pollen splendor

TJC44
04-23-2017, 09:43 AM
I did about 3 miles yesterday, but w/o pack. Under an hour I think. That will be next.
TJC

Coastie dad
04-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Im so proud of you guys. Feel free to log your mileage and progress here as well as your own epiphanies.

I'm going set that two miles in twenty with pack as my initial goal. A 35# ruck sounds about right, but I'm going to load up and weigh out the bag to see what I actually get.
My initial load on the sling bag actually weighed out over twenty.

Coastie dad
05-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Ok. Sorry for the delay. The weather has thrown me off a little.

In planning for water refills, I began using a road map and my maps satellite application. My understanding is a quart of water per day minimum, but walking and carrying a load I figure two quarts per day. Here again, I'm conserving water because......

Some of the water availability (natural, not plumbed) is a two day walk. In some instances, at least 3 days. How many of you intrepid bug outers have honestly looked into this? I used to think about where all the water was available, but plotting it out by time and distance put one hell of a different spin on things. Now granted, between the bladder and my bottles, I can walk out of here with 5 liters. That is 11 pounds. One more time...ELEVEN FRICKEN POUNDS OF WATER. So for you desert dwellers, or if you are bugging out on foot, water supply and ration will be correlated to your survivability more so than what we may initially think.

Now, in a way this sounds like some "Well, duh," thinking but have you ever really mapped out you're route for areas you can set up a camp in with relative security, where water is, and what travel rate you would have to achieve to make those Way points? Have you figured them for foot and vehicle travel, or are you assuming the best?
Sometimes I think k we overlook some of this basic stuff. I did. And I was a frigging cavalry scout. I had forgotten a couple basics, and I'm ashamed of it. I have become spoiled to the convenience or theory of having a vehicle always.

Back to water resupply. I know there are houses along all my routes. But I don't want to get my lovely shaped mixed breed ass shot off because some wanna be bad ass with a tactical rifle decides I'm a marauder. (Snipers in trees syndrome.) And you damned sure know they are out there, because we have them on forums we frequent that talk shoot first.

So... I'm open to conversation.

BucketBack
05-04-2017, 02:05 AM
Good Points, and the more I walk with water and gear, the more water I go through.

Michigan has lot of water, but it will be guarded by Bubba with a gun for sure