PDA

View Full Version : opinions

omegabrock
07-21-2014, 02:07 PM
just to put it out there, im not looking for the AR vs AK style dialog

what's a good style for a starter knife. i have a $15 folder that's good for cutting rope and opening packages but that's about it. i want to get a good, solid and well rounded fixed blade but when i started checking some out i quickly realized there are 13024.7 different styles, from blade shape to the edges. looking at maybe maxing the budget around $150, but that's not set in stone and of course, if i can pay less it's a plus. are brand names really important or can you get the same durability and utility from a smaller named?

1moretoy
07-21-2014, 02:18 PM
486Find an older cold steel made with the Carbon V steel. A authentic one runs about $125

Just Sayin'
07-21-2014, 02:49 PM
In this day and age, sometimes you're gonna get what you pay for, and sometimes you're not. I've got older Gerbers, newer Gerbers, some are great, some not quite what I thought I was getting. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good fixed blade knife. Every one of them out there can be broken, dulled, or just doesn't fit your hand the way you want it to.

Stick with the better known brands, get something reasonably priced and get to know it. If it does what you want it to do, then you're all set. If it doesn't, get another one. I'd bet a little money that everyone on this forum has knives they bought thinking, "This is the one!" and found out, "It isn't". And probably hung on to them long after buying another! I gotta say, my collection of them fill one of the drawers in my gun cabinet. They make nice gifts to young neices and nephews!

omegabrock
07-22-2014, 11:56 AM
yeah, im not looking for a 1 knife fits all but coming from no knowledge except they cut stuff lol.

Arklatex
07-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Mora knives are decent blades. They hold an edge and are easy to sharpen. Good quality and inexpensive. Kabar is another good option.

Sparkyprep
07-22-2014, 06:15 PM
I won't endorse any particular brand, but I will tell you what to look for. I like a drop point shape, as it puts the point in line with my hand for maximum force when pushing or stabbing. Look for about a 6" fixed blade, and the knife should ALWAYS be full tang. Also, for survival / bushcraft, you want a thick, heavy blade that can take some punishment. Remember, you are not just going to be skinning animals or fighting off aggressors. You will be hammering the blade into thick wood, chopping trees, and using the knife as a digging tool. As far as blade material, there are a million different opinions out there, and everyone thinks they are right. I've never had a problem with a good stainless steel blade, but some people like the older type steels, and some people like the more exotic stuff. $150 can get you a lot. Use it wisely.

Sparkyprep
07-22-2014, 06:16 PM
486Find an older cold steel made with the Carbon V steel. A authentic one runs about $125

That is a very good option, and highly recommended.

1moretoy
07-22-2014, 06:35 PM
And I happen to know where one is.

Pauls
07-22-2014, 08:15 PM
I would suggest a K Bar. It is a solid knife that fits many uses and it is easy to maintain. Don't get a serrated blade for your first fixed blade knife.
There are two sizes for the K Bar and I would get the longer blade for a first knife.
They are relatively inexpensive yet good steel. They are not made to be "pretty" they are working knives.

pheniox17
07-22-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm going kabar (since customs took my atax :( ) the baconmaker floats my boat, its a pigging knife

omegabrock
07-23-2014, 10:32 AM
exactly what i was looking for...thanks, now to start looking

Arizona Infidel
07-25-2014, 09:39 PM
I like a good KABAR, but then to I got a Buck from Wally World I like a lot. KABAR was 100$ the Buck was around 40$ I think.