PDA

View Full Version : a bug out pram

pheniox17
07-23-2014, 08:52 PM
The idea came up on a Facebook page, setting a pram up for the dreaded bug out

Been thinking of design points to modify a old pram for bugging out (chances of use is slim but just the idea)

1. Off road style
2. Water storage in the bottom basket
3. Room to store a large duffel bag that will have luxuries
4. Thinking of adding a electrical assist moter to it??

More just floaing the idea, may even add handles so it can be carried like a streacher and a spot for a basics tool box (sockets, screwdrivers, claw hammer etc)

Just after imput on the idea, modifying the pram is not too difficult and transport via car is not a issue... It will be a pain in the ass in the bush tho...

Inor
07-23-2014, 10:13 PM
In Minnesota it is a Jon boat. It looks like in Aussie, it is a baby carriage lookin' thing.

Imaexpat2
07-23-2014, 10:27 PM
My only concern would be the low sides that these typically have and how low to the water they sit. I am thinking if your bugging out in a high water situation such as flooding or Hurricane that you would want something with higher sides than even a Jon Boat. Under normal conditions on the water and with weather it would probably be doable.

I am using a Kayak right now which I think might be a better option depending on how much you and your gear weights. I have a 13 and a 10 Footer that I can toss on my truck rack. I can paddle the larger one with some gear and throw the rest in the 10 footer which is a SIK and just cinch down a cover over the opening to prevent it taking on water from waves and tow it as I paddle. Been considering ditching the 10 footer and going to a 10 ft Jon and a 2.5 HP motor and set it up to use oars too. I could carry a lot more on the water. I could also turn it upside down and use it as shelter with some lean to sides on three sides. weather would have to be good out on the lake to keep it from getting swamped and I don't think I would want tpo bug out on it but it would be nice to have since I live on a lake and my BOL is also on a lake! It might come in handy and its a lot more durable than a plastic Yak.

pheniox17
07-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Yea a stroller is another word (but refers to the light little ones)

Sorry about the quality of the pic, but you can find these cheap second hand, or even discarded when we have curb side clean up (the streets look like a dump for a week)

The idea is more for luxury items that weigh a bit, like portable power, or that little bit of kit that just brings a smile..

And to the untrained eye just a baby stroller/pram

pheniox17
07-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Kyack is no good for me at this moment, 3 kids under 7 so looking at foot mobile solutions... As car can only go so far