PDA

View Full Version : My Top 10 Favorite Survival Knives of All Time

hawgrider
06-02-2017, 05:29 AM
When it comes to survival gear, we all have different tastes. And even though we may agree on some issues, we’ll likely disagree about many more. Take survival knives as an example. There are more survival knives on the market than there are environments in which to survive, and your favorite knife may be very different from someone else’s top choice (though I’ll wager that these tools still share some of the same qualities). A knife worthy of being someone’s favorite must be durable, able to hold an edge, http://www.outdoorlife.com/tims-top-10-favorite-survival-knives-all-time

Sparkyprep
06-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Cant help but notice that the infamous ka bar is not listed

Gambit
06-02-2017, 09:22 AM
I guess I'm to simple minded
a good knife is what works
I had a 70 dollar bowie and well ****ing handle broke on me when camping, my 12 dollar Walmart folding blade been used 9X as much years before the bowie and I still use it today.
if it comes to a hand to hand combat then a knife in my taste is going to be a good stabbing tip that has a the right curve at the top so it is easier to snip the main head on my opponent who most people lead the weapon hand in front of them and few people ever expect for someone to attack that hand and not the main part of the body.
watch some SCA videos and see people who use every form of weapon fighting from Escrima to fencing to kendo to irish drunken stick fighting and yes that's a real style of irish stick combat that's been around for many many years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X_J77d7lE8

Unclefred
06-02-2017, 09:36 AM
The Ontario knife looks unbreakable. I don't care for the powder coats on knives.

Gambit
06-02-2017, 12:25 PM
The Ontario knife looks unbreakable. I don't care for the powder coats on knives.
Ontario knife makes good blades and they worth the price of them
I had a machete that I abused by under hand throwing it to chopping heavy brush and it was great, till one day I forgot about it outside behind my mothers shed for all of summer fall and buffalo winter and my mother seen it and the weather elements pretty much killed it.

Gambit
06-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Cant help but notice that the infamous ka bar is not listed
agree ka bar is a great brand with many years behind the name of making good stuff

Camel923
06-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Lots of quality knives out there. My favorite is a 12 inch dagger my dad brought back in a custom leather sheath from the South Pacific. I often wonder how many sons of Nippon met their end on it.

Unclefred
06-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Lots of quality knives out there. My favorite is a 12 inch dagger my dad brought back in a custom leather sheath from the South Pacific. I often wonder how many sons of Nippon met their end on it.

Speaking of the nips, they make some incredible knives. They aren't cheap but well worth the cost.

Kfilly
08-27-2017, 09:15 PM
I will take my BK9 any day of the week. Yes, it is long for a survival knife, but also carry a Mora Companion for finer work (no folders for me). I watched a video where a guy tested one pretty hard, and the knife passed with flying colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKN4uH-mmo&feature=share

Bleach
07-14-2018, 04:44 PM
I had two of these and sold them. I could kick myself. A Gerber BMF.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/173286199574_/%C2%A0Gerber-BMF-9in-Fixed-Blade-Combat-Knife.jpg

lopie
12-29-2018, 03:21 PM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/tims-top-10-favorite-survival-knives-all-time

that guy sure likes tantos.

I'm not sure how you can include a schrade as one of the premium budget knives over a Mora Bushcraft for about the same price

Sparkyprep
12-29-2018, 07:04 PM
that guy sure likes tantos.

I'm not sure how you can include a schrade as one of the premium budget knives over a Mora Bushcraft for about the same price

I love my Schrade. Search for my review on here. Biggest selling point for me was blade thickness. I know Schrade doesn’t have the best reputation, but I have put mine through hell, including prying apart metal slats, and never came close to hurting it.

lopie
12-29-2018, 07:22 PM
I love my Schrade. Search for my review on here. Biggest selling point for me was blade thickness. I know Schrade doesn’t have the best reputation, but I have put mine through hell, including prying apart metal slats, and never came close to hurting it.

thanks for the feedback! I have never used any schrade and I have lots of blades. I confess to being influenced to all the other reviews. And I confess to being biased towards Morakniv.

Big Ken
12-30-2018, 10:19 AM

I think now a days for me it depends on where there are made, give a USA made Schrade any day same as a Marbles, if they are from over seas they look good but quality just isn't there in my opinion, don't get me wrong most are fine for skinning game but longevity may be an issue if used often.

I wonder why Cold Steel didn't make the list? maybe price was a factor in their top ten.

RubberDuck
12-30-2018, 01:18 PM
There are some cold steel blades I would like to add to my collection for a survival knife I have been very happy with my Bk 2

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lopie
12-30-2018, 01:23 PM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/tims-top-10-favorite-survival-knives-all-time

I just realized... you said "my top..."

is that your article?

hawgrider
12-30-2018, 02:41 PM
I just realized... you said "my top..."

is that your article?

It's the title of the article where a portion was quoted with the link. Didn't you read it?

lopie
12-30-2018, 03:00 PM
It's the title of the article where a portion was quoted with the link. Didn't you read it?

i did, just making sure that you weren't the author... which you didn't confirm nor deny :dancingguy:

hawgrider
12-30-2018, 04:18 PM
i did, just making sure that you weren't the author... which you didn't confirm nor deny :dancingguy:

If you read the article you would see it was titled exactly as it was written. At the top of the article it says who the author is.

Are you always this needy?

Mister Mills
12-30-2018, 04:28 PM
I have had a CRKT M16 and a couple of Cammilus Kabar's, all in all I like the CRKT. It makes a great city knife, very easy to slip into a pocket un-noticed.
I know that the Kabar wasn't mentioned, but it is a tough knife. The tool-steel hammer-butt on it, could bust a skull, and it is business-like on both ends.

DerBiermeister
12-31-2018, 07:19 AM
ESEE knives cover all bases.

I have three with the biggest being the Junglas (10 1/4" blade). That knife is perfect for heavy duty wilderness demands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdeQmGxEZv0

lopie
12-31-2018, 11:30 AM
for me, I'd rather have a small knife and a saw. I acknowledge that I'm not as experienced as some of y'all, so...

What does a large knife do that a small knife and saw can't?

hawgrider
12-31-2018, 02:43 PM
for me, I'd rather have a small knife and a saw. I acknowledge that I'm not as experienced as some of y'all, so...

Well you can do away with the small knife that mostly is used to pick meat from you teeth by using a Arkansas tooth pick like below-

https://i.imgur.com/syGYoSH.jpg

Sparkyprep
12-31-2018, 04:12 PM
Well you can do away with the small knife that mostly is used to pick meat from you teeth by using a Arkansas tooth pick like below-

https://i.imgur.com/syGYoSH.jpg
Coon dick

Sparkyprep
12-31-2018, 04:13 PM

Split wood. Dig holes. Chop up sheet metal..... I could go on.

hawgrider
12-31-2018, 05:33 PM
Coon dick

Yes sir coon dick bone.

lopie
12-31-2018, 05:55 PM
Split wood. Dig holes. Chop up sheet metal..... I could go on.

Please do go on because I've never carried a large knife.

Why split wood? I've always just put bigger logs on the fire once I got it going well. And I find plenty of smaller wood that I can baton into smaller pieces and shave up some tinder. So I legitimately don't understand why so many split so much wood? Also, how does a big knife split wood? Do you baton with a $150 knife? If you're splitting wood, then it sounds like a pretty wide piece of wood and how did you buck it up into logs?

Not that I've done it, but Ray Mears has a video on splitting wood with a saw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOXU0rrqOM

My Morakniv bushcraft can break up dirt for a poop hole or trench around the tent/tarp. What else are people digging for?

What do y'all use a large knife for? I'd really like that info.

MoreAmmoOK
12-31-2018, 06:13 PM
Why a large knife?
Compared to a 6'8 person my arms are short. Long knife equalizes things a bit. Goes a lot deeper into a bear too.

lopie
12-31-2018, 06:30 PM
Why a large knife?
Compared to a 6'8 person my arms are short. Long knife equalizes things a bit. Goes a lot deeper into a bear too.

you don't need a big knife for a bear. My 4" morakniv can just stab my friend and then I run away. He's not a good friend.

RubberDuck
12-31-2018, 06:56 PM

Why split wood? I've always just put bigger logs on the fire once I got it going well. And I find plenty of smaller wood that I can baton into smaller pieces and shave up some tinder. So I legitimately don't understand why so many split so much wood? Also, how does a big knife split wood? Do you baton with a $150 knife? If you're splitting wood, then it sounds like a pretty wide piece of wood and how did you buck it up into logs?

Not that I've done it, but Ray Mears has a video on splitting wood with a saw...

My Morakniv bushcraft can break up dirt for a poop hole or trench around the tent/tarp. What else are people digging for?

What do y'all use a large knife for? I'd really like that info.This is only useful with dry seasoned wood and way more work than batoning.
My Bk2 was no where near $150 under $100.
But I would put money on my knife splitting yours in half and still cutting my steak after I cut it off the deer. The fact that you could look up and post that guy splitting with saw but still ask the questions you have asked here proves to me that you are a extremely sheltered city boy or just another little troll.

lopie
12-31-2018, 06:59 PM
This is only useful with dry seasoned wood and way more work than batoning.
My Bk2 was no where near $150 under $100.
But I would put money on my knife splitting yours in half and still cutting my steak after I cut it off the deer. The fact that you could look up and post that guy splitting with saw but still ask the questions you have asked here proves to me that you are a extremely sheltered city boy or just another little troll.

ok, thanks for the feedback

RubberDuck
12-31-2018, 10:11 PM
ok, thanks for the feedback.5794

hawgrider
12-31-2018, 11:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Aw5OrvY.jpg

Sparkyprep
12-31-2018, 11:33 PM

What do y'all use a large knife for? I'd really like that info.

Baton inn is easier with a larger knife. Yes, I absolutely would baton with a $150 knife. That is what it is for. I dig for latrines, for mussels and crawfish in the rocks of rivers, for fire pits, and about 1 million other things. I bucked those logs I’m splitting with my large, heavy knife. Longer knives make it easier to fillet larger fish. Splitting wood makes for a smaller, hotter fire. Did I answer most of your questions?

DerBiermeister
01-02-2019, 06:38 PM

A large knife that approaches the usefulness of a machete -- well shit, it is obvious. You swing this knife (Junglas) -- you don't point it.

Coastie dad
01-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Oh...missed this thread...

I don't need a big knife to prove my manhood, nor do I need to drive a semi because my dick is so small it's often mistaken for a ******.

Ok...just jerking chains. ( From a guy working in a traditional female job.)

I can do, for the most part, with a 4" blade and bahco saw what I can do with a BK2, Esee 5, or Esee 6, or either Junglas.

I can do with an Esee 6 alone about anything I can do with a saw and smaller knife. Know how I know this? Went to a f ucking school and was taught how to use both techniques by the guys who design these blades and test them.

Techniques come down to personal preference, location, and predetermined mission.
For me, in my local environment, a junglas is less valuable than a 6 because machete work is limited.
A 5 or 6 is better for chopping, of course, but not as easy to skin an animal, particularly small game. Yes, it can be done, but there are better options.

I can baton with my izula, but it has to be smaller sticks. I can beat a log into submission with a 5 or BK2.

Am I afraid to baton with my expensive knives? Hell no. That's why tend to use Esee and Becker. Built for the job.

My current woodsy sweetheart is the Esee 4hm. Batons wood, makes shavings, feathersticks, skins small game, makes stress cuts on green saplings and branches.....but doesn't chop for shit.

If I'm going to be forced with the possibility of building a debris shelter I'd like a saw or hatchet with me. (The right hatchet will do the knife job also. Been practicing using a carving hatchet in place of a knife.)

For me, a 4" blade and folding saw will do more than 5" blade or bigger.
But for a long time I used a heavy 5" blade combined with thin blade folder. If was handed just a single blade could I survive? Probably. You know, Indian rather than arrow, all that stuff.

But a morakniv wouldn't be my first choice due to not being full tang. In the case of having a Mora, I think I'd want a hatchet with it for heavier work.

But, what the hell do I know? I don't have bushclass tabs or YouTube videos.
(Inside joke)

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 11:22 AM
30 year old Bowie knife does all my bull work. Deer blinds, split wood, brush limbs. Can't do that with your 4" toothpick.

Saw? What are building up your jerk off hand? Don't need no stinkin little saw. Takes to much time.... who the hell bucks up wood for a survival situation... not me feed the fire with longer pieces then sit down and crack a beer.

lopie
01-06-2019, 11:27 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Aw5OrvY.jpg

me?

lopie
01-06-2019, 11:31 AM
Saw? What are building up your jerk off hand?

i get the feeling you guys don't actually want new members.

Sorry Coastie, I tried. The rest of you guys, enjoy touching each other.

Coastie dad
01-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Nah. Stick around. Then I can have someone to talk to about this stuff.

Jerk off hand? Everyone works things differently. Lopie and I are looking at something from a different perspective than some of you. Not everything is campers, smokers, and beer.
We're trying to get a conversation going. I invited him here because of narrow minded c ocksuckers on another forum who thought their way was the only way.
I believe he passed the initial hazing.

F uck it. Why am I wasting my time?

Coastie dad
01-06-2019, 11:46 AM
And on the subject, why do you think a saw is used just for bucking up wood? Maybe there is a little to be learned here. Bucking wood is not the primary purpose of the saw.

Oh, and just so you know I'm still me:
F uck the muzzies, Democrats, and all the other cockgobblers who Insist that they know what's best for me and how I should live my life by forcing their ways on me.

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 12:38 PM
me?

No the RubberDuck lol!

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Nah. Stick around. Then I can have someone to talk to about this stuff.

Jerk off hand? Everyone works things differently. Lopie and I are looking at something from a different perspective than some of you. Not everything is campers, smokers, and beer.
We're trying to get a conversation going. I invited him here because of narrow minded c ocksuckers on another forum who thought their way was the only way.
I believe he passed the initial hazing.

F uck it. Why am I wasting my time?

Do I hear a couple peoples va ginas whimpering? Geesh touchy vags you guys are...

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 12:42 PM

Awful touchy eh! Geesh we were told you were thick skinned.

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 12:46 PM
You wanted discussion I gave you some just because I don't agree with you two about carrying a saw for a bug out tool and then a breakable Mora cheapo 4" knife is no reason to go pout in a corner.
Grow a pair and man up. Whimpering will get you no where here.

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Guess its my turn to be the Salty.

Slippy
01-06-2019, 01:18 PM

C'mon loopie,

Stick around, the boys just be funnin' witcha!

Your friend,

Slip!

Coastie dad
01-06-2019, 03:27 PM
Well, if you had read, you would have not only seen my reasoning, but would have seen me say why I wouldn't take a Mora.

He asked a newbie question, but it was legitimate. He got some legitimate responses. I'm thick skinned enough to stick around, you should know that by now. But I'd like to be able to have conversations other than me bitching about society and politics. So if I have to import people for that, I'd appreciate you being semi polite until they know how to take you irreverent butt munchers. Please note I said semi polite. I have expectations, but I try to keep them reasonable.

Inor
01-06-2019, 03:41 PM
My favorite knife when I am traveling for business is a Kershaw Leek.

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/leek

No, I won't be splitting any wood with it. But then, when I am traveling for business I am usually in a big city so the need to split wood is not a big deal. Plus, it is a relatively affordable knife so if some TSA monkey pockets it, I am not out a lot of money.

My everyday carry at home is a Benchmade 940. It can (and has) split wood. It is the toughest knife I have ever owned. I have even used it to chop nails in half.

https://www.benchmade.com/940.html

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Well, if you had read, you would have not only seen my reasoning, but would have seen me say why I wouldn't take a Mora.

He asked a newbie question, but it was legitimate. He got some legitimate responses. I'm thick skinned enough to stick around, you should know that by now. But I'd like to be able to have conversations other than me bitching about society and politics. So if I have to import people for that, I'd appreciate you being semi polite until they know how to take you irreverent butt munchers. Please note I said semi polite. I have expectations, but I try to keep them reasonable.

Its your fault you told us he was thick skinned and had warned him about us being abrasive. What did he think he signed up for Nancy's sewing forum? Preppers and survivalists better damn well be tough as the weak will perish first.

Coastie dad
01-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Thick skinned is one thing. Being totally new, asking relevant questions politely, then being called a troll for it? That's nothing more than targeting a new member for fun. Kind of reminds me of the insecure jocks back in high school that liked to get in groups and push around other kids who weren't on the team.
Basically, I talked you guys up, warned him about your shenanigans, he took the hazing, but when he tries to be serious, and stated he didn't have all the experience we have here, some of you have to start harassing. So, you make me look like an asshole to a guy I brought over here so he could learn. And this bullshit of him learning to be tough because he's gonna need toughness? Not the way you teach it. You teach confidence to build confidence.
I restate, he is coming from a different perspective. Trying to round out his knowledge by coming from a bushcraft forum to a prepper forum posing similar questions. You know, just like I went there with a prepper point of view and posed questions to them.

Now I think you know I like you guys, but this bullshit has embarrassed me. So, where do you suggest I go? Apparently we're too prepper for the bushcraft forum, and too bushcraft for a prepper forum. Maybe he and I can just pm each other. Then our conversations won't threaten any of you too f ucking thin skinned to be bothered with a different idea.

RubberDuck
01-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Quit being a baby seriously... After our past trolls everyone here is suspicious especially with a name like that and being associated with past trolls.
This question in my opinion was asking for ridicule especially with the video.
If you need to ask that question and being serious then I question you as a person and have to wonder how they get out of bed in the morning without hurting themselves.
Now that being said you are embarrassing enough without our help now sit down your pressure is to high.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190106/0354206ed158ad965d8fc1899ff317a5.jpg

BucketBack
01-06-2019, 05:22 PM
Waaaa

Coastie dad
01-06-2019, 05:23 PM
To ya what, duck.

F uck off.

BucketBack
01-06-2019, 05:24 PM
I don't take much more than a handgun into my AO. Maybe I have cache's abound, but no worries

Coastie dad
01-06-2019, 05:27 PM
And, to be honest, I'm not embarrassed at all by my expressing my disappointment in some of the behaviors in this thread.

But if you feel you need to keep name calling, go ahead, big man. Make sure you suck enough booze down so your balls will drop.

RubberDuck
01-06-2019, 05:34 PM
And, to be honest, I'm not embarrassed at all by my expressing my disappointment in some of the behaviors in this thread.

But if you feel you need to keep name calling, go ahead, big man. Make sure you suck enough booze down so your balls will drop.Totally sober wish I wasn't I might be able to tolerate your whining a little more.
You of all people on here crying the way you is surprising and a little disturbing. Go check and make sure your testosterone pills didn't get mixed up with estrogen your tits seem tender.

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Now we got a discussion going... bout time!

I think Coastie is working on his sarcasm in the last few posts. Can't fool and old fool.

And this bullshit of him learning to be tough because he's gonna need toughness? Not the way you teach it. You teach confidence to build confidence. Works for the leathernecks doesn't it? Knock them down to the bottom then build them back up.

lopie
01-06-2019, 06:57 PM
You wanted discussion I gave you some just because I don't agree with you two about carrying a saw for a bug out tool and then a breakable Mora cheapo 4" knife is no reason to go pout in a corner.
Grow a pair and man up. Whimpering will get you no where here.

Awful touchy eh! Geesh we were told you were thick skinned.

Do I hear a couple peoples va ginas whimpering? Geesh touchy vags you guys are...

Its your fault you told us he was thick skinned and had warned him about us being abrasive. What did he think he signed up for Nancy's sewing forum? Preppers and survivalists better damn well be tough as the weak will perish first.

Now we got a discussion going... bout time!

Works for the leathernecks doesn't it? Knock them down to the bottom then build them back up.

Coastie told me to come back here and read this thread, so I did...

He led me to believe this was a forum of adults. You think me thinned skinned, so I'll let you know that I read every one of your posts and have no emotions, except maybe disappointment. As I said, I thought this forum was for adults, who already suffered life's bullshit, already toughened up, and... has no desire for internet nonsense.

I enjoy joking around and being teased. I like the challenge of trying to be clever in return. But I have found that a bullshit response to a legit question is only because the other person doesn't have anything constructive to say, but feels the need to say something.

Quit being a baby seriously...

case in point

After our past trolls everyone here is suspicious especially with a name like that and being associated with past trolls.

How do you think this is reasonable?

...then I question you as a person...
do you have a mirror?

...have to wonder how they get out of bed in the morning without hurting themselves.

Is your self-esteem that low?

...you are embarrassing enough without our help now sit down your pressure is to high.

I'm not even a little embarrassed. I'm sad for you that you need to attempt to belittle and tear down another human being in order to feel better about yourself.

Ya know, the old me would've said, "climb back into your bottle and drown your feelings." But the old me used to drink too much also, so I'll offer you some advice... put down the bottle, embrace the pain.

lopie
01-06-2019, 07:08 PM
And on the subject, why do you think a saw is used just for bucking up wood? Maybe there is a little to be learned here. Bucking wood is not the primary purpose of the saw.

This. Also, due to various injuries, I don't like the risk-reward of chopping. I don't want to swing a blade and increase the risk of injury. During a rock climbing accident -- someone else's fault -- I suffered mild spinal damage (C1 vertebrae was chipped) several miles from a trailhead. I tore my ACL... had dislocations... lacerations... concussions... all several miles from a trailhead. I've carried (literally) two people off of a mountain who were injured. I walked my own ass back to my car, even with a torn ACL.

I'm very risk averse these days. So... want to build a shelter, process fire wood, make bushcraft furniture, then a saw is much safer than than any other option.

F uck the muzzies, Democrats, and all the other cockgobblers who Insist that they know what's best for me and how I should live my life by forcing their ways on me.

amen.

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 07:09 PM
You are certainly welcome to play dress up and live under a tarp shelter on the weekends and discuss it here but if your looking for another Survival boards forum where you and your darkside buddys used to wreak havoc then you found the wrong place here.

Don't try to play me with the all holier than thou skit. I am fully aware of your non adult like behavior on other forums.. jus sayin!

Now quit your sniveling and post some survival bushcraft stuff and join the group or.... catch ya later? Its up to you.

lopie
01-06-2019, 07:13 PM
You are certainly welcome to play dress up and live under a tarp shelter on the weekends and discuss it here but if your looking for another Survival boards forum where you and your darkside buddys used to wreak havoc then you found the wrong place here.

Don't try to play me with the all holier than thou skit. I am fully aware of your non adult like behavior on other forums.. jus sayin!

Now quit your sniveling and post some survival bushcraft stuff and join the group or.... catch ya later? Its up to you.

your response is disappointing, but not surprising.

Can you explain why you respond that way? Because it certainly seems antagonistic and unwelcoming.

MoreAmmoOK
01-06-2019, 07:35 PM
No one blade can efficiently do everything. I have a Mora in my GHB, inexpensive, holds a pretty good edge, and good for doing lite work. In the bag is also an Ontario Knife SP-15, pointy, sharp, serrated back side, it'll do a lot of damage. Attached to the bag is a machete, not a great one but it'll get me home. In my pocket there is always the Buck. I don't pack a saw, just what I need to get me n wife the 40 miles from work to home.

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 07:38 PM
your response is disappointing, but not surprising.

Can you explain why you respond that way? Because it certainly seems antagonistic and unwelcoming.

You wouldn't like what I could dig up. But I have better things to do than dig up a few things to prove my point. In fact I don't have to prove anything.

Anyhoo... glad to see your balls are big enough to come back and stir the pot. Some of the boys need a new play toy enjoy your stay here.

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 07:42 PM
No one blade can efficiently do everything. I have a Mora in my GHB, inexpensive, holds a pretty good edge, and good for doing lite work. In the bag is also an Ontario Knife SP-15, pointy, sharp, serrated back side, it'll do a lot of damage. Attached to the bag is a machete, not a great one but it'll get me home. In my pocket there is always the Buck. I don't pack a saw, just what I need to get me n wife the 40 miles from work to home.

Curious about the Ontario SP15 I'll have to do a search on one.

lopie
01-06-2019, 07:42 PM
You wouldn't like what I could dig up. But I have better things to do than dig up a few things to prove my point.

Yes, I was difficult in the past. I'm trying to be a better person. I drink way less than I used to. People change.

...enjoy your stay here.

when the owner doesn't want you in the store, there's no point in staying.

And it's pretty clear you don't want me here.

Sorry Coastie. I'm at a loss. I'll see you on the bushcraft forum.

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Yes, I was difficult in the past. I'm trying to be a better person. I drink way less than I used to. People change.

when the owner doesn't want you in the store, there's no point in staying.

And it's pretty clear you don't want me here.

Sorry Coastie. I'm at a loss. I'll see you on the bushcraft forum.

Not at all your welcome to stay but I'm not going to coddle you.

And for the umpteenth time I am not the owner. I'm just one of the custodians.

MoreAmmoOK
01-06-2019, 07:56 PM
Curious about the Ontario SP15 I'll have to do a search on one.

Haven't had a chance to use/abuse it much. It mostly just lives in the bag. Looks and feels like a good defensive tool though. Something to fend off lions n tiger n bears, lots of them here in OK.

Coastie dad
01-06-2019, 08:28 PM
Now, hawgy m'boy, remember I stated in one of my posts that a machete type blade didn't work well in my area?

So your bowie, used as a machete, would not be as effective as my hatchet. Remember the mission oriented comment? If I know I'm going to go clear firing lanes, or around a camp area, I take the hatchet.
I can do all this stuff with my libertariat, to include skinning small game, but it takes some practice putting your arm through the lanyard and using just the squared tip for skinning.

I ask you to bear in mind, I am faced with the possibility that my "bugout" in the event of an EMP as devastatingly horrible as preppers fear, will be about a 180 mile hike.
So if I study how to build shelters, practice with different skills, and actually get out walking further than a deer stand to test my ability, stamina, and equipment, my perspective may be different than other's theories. As such, my equipment needs and preferences may also differ from the deer woods of Michigan.

hawgrider
01-06-2019, 08:46 PM
Now, hawgy m'boy, remember I stated in one of my posts that a machete type blade didn't work well in my area?

So your bowie, used as a machete, would not be as effective as my hatchet. Remember the mission oriented comment? If I know I'm going to go clear firing lanes, or around a camp area, I take the hatchet.
I can do all this stuff with my libertariat, to include skinning small game, but it takes some practice putting your arm through the lanyard and using just the squared tip for skinning.

I ask you to bear in mind, I am faced with the possibility that my "bugout" in the event of an EMP as devastatingly horrible as preppers fear, will be about a 180 mile hike.
So if I study how to build shelters, practice with different skills, and actually get out walking further than a deer stand to test my ability, stamina, and equipment, my perspective may be different than other's theories. As such, my equipment needs and preferences may also differ from the deer woods of Michigan.

I can sear a slab of backstrap on the side of my bowie can you do that with your saw or hatchet? :kickinballs:

Coastie dad
01-06-2019, 10:21 PM
No, but then I don't entertain mountain man fantasies. Sorry, ya got me beat. Beat me, hawgrider, beat me.:chopper:

Gunners Mate
01-06-2019, 11:12 PM
I would want my oyster shuckin knife, a cold beer and one of these to help eat all those tasty oysters 5804

Inor
01-06-2019, 11:48 PM

So you like a serrated blade? I am curious to know why.

I HATE serrated blades! I am not trying to start a religious war here. (On second thought, actually I am trying to start a religious war because an argument over knife blade styles would be far more interesting than the rest of the bullshit arguments on this thread.)

So why a serrated blade? I use my pocket knife probably 20 times per day for everyday tasks. I use it for everything from opening packaging to cutting drywall. But every time I try to use a serrated blade, it causes me more work than it saves. So, just a question on your opinion.

Sasquatch
01-07-2019, 12:50 AM
So you like a serrated blade? I am curious to know why.

I HATE serrated blades! I am not trying to start a religious war here. (On second thought, actually I am trying to start a religious war because an argument over knife blade styles would be far more interesting than the rest of the bullshit arguments on this thread.)

So why a serrated blade? I use my pocket knife probably 20 times per day for everyday tasks. I use it for everything from opening packaging to cutting drywall. But every time I try to use a serrated blade, it causes me more work than it saves. So, just a question on your opinion.

You didn't ask me but I'll throw in my .02 anyway. My EDC has a serrated edge and I've found it useful many times. I've cut small branches off of trees for kindling. I've used it to cut cardboard for targets and I find it cuts twine or paracord easier than the straight part of the blade.

MoreAmmoOK
01-07-2019, 02:31 AM
Most the time I don't care for a serrated blade either. I have this one because it was on sale for about half price, seems like it was less than $25. More than substantial enough enough for a GHB. I don't think I could to let a $100+ knife spend it's life just sittin in a bag. Useful, durable, and inexpensive are the properties of things in the bag.
As mentioned, the serrations are useful for cutting rope and cord, would be a bitch to sharpen though.

hawgrider
01-07-2019, 07:39 AM

Looks pretty kewl! Helluva pig sticker!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/4192O%2BgnltL._SX425_.jpg

Coastie dad
01-07-2019, 08:06 AM
I use the serrated blade on my Leatherman occasionally, but most of the time my straight blade is sharp enough to cut anything I need.

For my usage, which may or may not be considered valid by certain forum members who can't seem to back off, (so I won't either) a serrated blade is actually detrimental.

I do, however, see their uses, particularly when dealing with lines on a boat. As an example, we used to fish below Keystone Dam in Oklahoma when they were running the gates open. You anchored, bow toward the dam, and let the boat drift backwards until the line was tight. Sometimes they would increase the flow, and you had to weigh anchor quickly to avoid your bow being pulled under. If the anchor was hung in the brush and debris, a serrated knife saved many boats by making a quick cut.