PDA

View Full Version : How a solar storm two years ago nearly caused a catastrophe on Earth

BugMan
07-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Yep, all you preppers are crazy. Live as we know it is never in jeopardy.

How a solar storm two years ago nearly caused a catastrophe on Earth (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/07/23/how-a-solar-storm-nearly-destroyed-life-as-we-know-it-two-years-ago/?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email)

On July 23, 2012, the sun unleashed two massive clouds of plasma that barely missed a catastrophic encounter with the Earth’s atmosphere. These plasma clouds, known as coronal mass ejections (CMEs), comprised a solar storm thought to be the most powerful in at least 150 years.

“If it had hit, we would still be picking up the pieces,” physicist Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado tells NASA.

Suspicious Package
07-24-2014, 10:02 AM
You know, I don't know that I would be overly upset if all of our satellites were knocked out and we had to step back about 30 years. Might be nice if everything would slow down a little :)

pheniox17
07-24-2014, 09:08 PM
I agree mate, even here, Africa will look like childs play once it all goes to shit in the west... Locally I would give it a week before a complete collapse of law and order (thats more to the Aussie additude "she'll be right mate" )

Arizona Infidel
07-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Complete collapse of law and order? Think about what that would mean. Really. I should start a thread.
I do think things would work themselves out alright.

big paul
07-25-2014, 11:31 AM
30 years?? more like about 80-90 over here!! and can you imagine the shrieks from the sheeple when they cant microwave their evening "meal"!!!