PDA

View Full Version : Food Grade Buckets That Are Safe For Long Term Food Storage

hawgrider
06-13-2017, 06:48 AM
How To Identify Food Grade Buckets

“I know that for many, saving every penny possible is paramount, but when it comes to food grade buckets I think that going around begging for them at businesses that discard them is cost ineffective.”

That comment from one of our readers is prudent. I believe that the reference was towards the required efforts of thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing them for use, coupled with the risk of contamination if they are not entirely rendered “safe”.

Consider this: “Rendering a food grade bucket that has had food products in contact with the surfaces safe from bacterial growth can be iffy.”

While I am not discrediting those who seek out “used” food grade buckets from restaurants,
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/food-grade-buckets-that-are-safe-for-long-term-food-storage/

BucketBack
06-13-2017, 06:55 AM
I would hope that frosting buckets from the bakery are food grade

hawgrider
06-13-2017, 07:11 AM
I would hope that frosting buckets from the bakery are food grade

You would think so.

MI.oldguy
06-13-2017, 09:59 AM
We got our frosting buckets from walmart bakery.they are glad to give them away.we cleaned them with hot water and dish detergent dried them and washed again with weak white vinegar/hot water solution.no smells 4 years later.

BucketBack
06-13-2017, 10:03 AM
$2 at the Leppinks, Plumbs gave them away

MountainGirl
05-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Silly question here. :confused:
If I buy a big sack of flour, would I put the unopened sack in the bucket or dump the flour in the bucket?
Instinct says: put the sack in, duh...
Lack of experience says: what about contaminants on the sack?
Thanks guys.

Kfilly
05-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Silly question here. :confused:
If I buy a big sack of flour, would I put the unopened sack in the bucket or dump the flour in the bucket?
Instinct says: put the sack in, duh...
Lack of experience says: what about contaminants on the sack?
Thanks guys.

If you are storing food long term, pour the flour into Mylar bags. Then add the appropriate amount of oxygen absorbers for the size Mylar bag you are using. Squeeze as much air out as possible and seal the bag up and then put it into the bucket. For things like rice that can have insects in it, freeze the bag for a couple days to kill the insects off prior to doing those other steps.

They sell specific heat sealers for Mylar. They are about $30 on Amazon. I would also label what is in the Mylar sacks. ;-)