PDA

View Full Version : Almost...

SquirrelBait
07-25-2014, 03:16 AM
We just had a thunder storm here. The electricity went out. I got up and got dressed by the light of my oil lamp. LOL I checked my cell phone to make sure that it was just a black out.

I started going through mental lists of action and equipment, And getting ready to break out the led lamps and weather radio when the lights came back on.

Anyone else here have moments of near SHTF or actual SHTF? What was your reaction? What did you learn?

Arizona Infidel
07-25-2014, 06:26 PM
I'll be honest, I'd probably be behind the gun if it came to a complete or regional collapse of the electrical grid. We are so used to losing electricity during monsoons that it would take awhile before I realized there was a problem.

Sparkyprep
07-25-2014, 07:43 PM
I'll be honest, I'd probably be behind the gun if it came to a complete or regional collapse of the electrical grid. We are so used to losing electricity during monsoons that it would take awhile before I realized there was a problem.

Same here. Our power goes out constantly. Our local power company doesn't believe in the concept of "maintenance". They just fix it when it breaks.

Kanman
07-25-2014, 07:52 PM
In a severe thunder storm a few years back, lost power for several days. I didn't worry about it as I was prepared. Did not have a generator, but had always thought about it up to that point. After the second day, I decided I would not got one, why? The few who had them could be heard for quite a ways away. Homing beacon for looters in a real SHTF situation.

Arizona Infidel
07-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Good point

pheniox17
07-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Squirrel, my last one, was watching American blackout on my phone and lost power half way through the show (that kinda freaked me out) but it was a storm driven minor blackout... Loosening power for more than a few hours is very uncommon here, but the next morning still now power.... I was the only one effected that had a morning coffee :P

Shtf events, 2 major floods (1 directly effected me) in the past 5 years, nothing life changing tho

But to the concept of generators, I'm on board there, but have a serious think of what exactly we need to power when shtf, seen one little setup that's spot on for my use (and on the projest list) a ammo can bat box, powered by solar, will be perfect, as the items that will really need power (outside main fridge and freezer, my eskys/ice box/chilli bin will cover short term) a 12v camping fridge (yet to replace) torch batts, phones and the old psp, some emergency lights maybe, but I can't think of many items that are really worth powering that won't make me look like a target (TVs are one of the worse, light+noise screams I have power)