PDA

View Full Version : Leather Sheath, First Try:

Talon
07-04-2017, 06:06 PM
First try with leather. Turned out alright. I made a bunch of mistakes and almost gave up, but actually learned alot from the experience.

hawgrider
07-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Looks good!

Looks like it will work just fine. I need to make a couple for a couple of my knives functional is my only goal.

Unclefred
07-05-2017, 12:49 AM
does the knife lock in pretty good?

Dwight55
07-05-2017, 07:26 AM
My one criticism would go back to about 1958 in Boy Scout leather class.

Our scout leader showed us a sheath someone had made with copper rivets in it, . . . and asked us if it was a good design. I knew it wasn't (in his opinion anyway) but not why.

He went on to explain that if you inadvertently swing it against a piece of wood or something, . . . the knife blade or ax head can penetrate down to the copper rivet, . . . and will seriously ding and dent the cutting edge.

Never have used copper rivets for that reason alone.

I sew all my sheaths, . . . with a nice thick welt in between the front and back of the sheath, . . . so the blade rides on the welt going in or coming out, . . . which will also keep it from cutting the stitching, . . . and will not damage the cutting edge.

May God bless,
Dwight

Mister Mills
07-05-2017, 12:06 PM
It looks great.

Talon
07-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Yes. I can turn it upside down and shake the shit out of it, and it stays put.

does the knife lock in pretty good?

Talon
07-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Good point!

My one criticism would go back to about 1958 in Boy Scout leather class.

Our scout leader showed us a sheath someone had made with copper rivets in it, . . . and asked us if it was a good design. I knew it wasn't (in his opinion anyway) but not why.

He went on to explain that if you inadvertently swing it against a piece of wood or something, . . . the knife blade or ax head can penetrate down to the copper rivet, . . . and will seriously ding and dent the cutting edge.

Never have used copper rivets for that reason alone.

I sew all my sheaths, . . . with a nice thick welt in between the front and back of the sheath, . . . so the blade rides on the welt going in or coming out, . . . which will also keep it from cutting the stitching, . . . and will not damage the cutting edge.

May God bless,
Dwight

Unclefred
07-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Yes. I can turn it upside down and shake the shit out of it, and it stays put.

Nice. It looks pretty good too.

Gambit
07-07-2017, 10:33 AM
It looks pretty good too.
that's what she said

hawgrider
07-07-2017, 10:47 AM
that's what she said

Go to your cage ... bad dog bad! Freaking parrot Pug. Who da thunk it.

Gambit
07-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Go to your cage .
that's what she said

hawgrider
07-07-2017, 12:31 PM
that's what she said

Thats it I'm grabbing your muzzle ... bad dog!