PDA

View Full Version : Power Out

Broncosfan
07-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Well I believe this is the forth power outage we have had in 3 weeks. Shortest was around 3 hours and Fathers day was 11 hrs. Today is now right at 7 hrs with hope of a return @ 10pm. They have spent more time cutting trees the last couple of years but we're having more outages. I guess the storms have been more on target for us lately. Plus it doesn't help that our power comes in from the south and we're the last two house on the line. Our other neighbors have power when we don't as theirs comes in from the main road 3/4 mile north of us. We're lucky we have a generator but with all the storms I didn't take the time to hook it up to the whole house just used cords. Lucky for us I think we missed most of the major part of the storms as they seemed to split as they got close to us.

hawgrider
07-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Well I believe this is the forth power outage we have had in 3 weeks. Shortest was around 3 hours and Fathers day was 11 hrs. Today is now right at 7 hrs with hope of a return @ 10pm. They have spent more time cutting trees the last couple of years but we're having more outages. I guess the storms have been more on target for us lately. Plus it doesn't help that our power comes in from the south and we're the last two house on the line. Our other neighbors have power when we don't as theirs comes in from the main road 3/4 mile north of us. We're lucky we have a generator but with all the storms I didn't take the time to hook it up to the whole house just used cords. Lucky for us I think we missed most of the major part of the storms as they seemed to split as they got close to us.

We used to lose power here with a lite breeze or no breeze. Been lucky this year.

Hope you get it back soon it mighty hot out up here I imagine your warm down there too.

RubberDuck
07-07-2017, 08:38 PM
I must be extremely lucky where I am I have lost power maybe 3 times in 14 years the longest time out little over 24 hours. I even had power during the big blackout.
I was told our grid is on the same as 2 hospitals so it is the most maintained and first to be repaired. True or not I have no idea but I have my basics covered incase I do loose it.

Broncosfan
07-07-2017, 08:46 PM
We used to lose power here with a lite breeze or no breeze. Been lucky this year.

Hope you get it back soon it mighty hot out up here I imagine your warm down there too.

Yes it very warm but the humidity is a killer lately. This morning I emptied the rain gauge and it was 2 inches yesterday through this morning. Not sure where we're at now as I have been to busy keeping everything together. Had onion outside and covered with a tarp. It blew off and they got soaked. Had to move them to the garage and put fans on them. Then I found an apple tree tilted over so I had to work on getting that straighten back up. Tomorrow will be garden repair as I seen tomato and pepper plants turned over. Hopefully no losses though. It did take a lot of apples off the trees so I'm a little disappointed I was hoping to make a large batch of apple butter if I locate a copper kettle so I can do it the old school way. So that might not be in the cards for this year.

Broncosfan
07-07-2017, 08:58 PM
Oh Crap. My wife got the text on the update to restore power. I just checked for a new update and its 10 pm but for Sunday night @ 10 pm. I guess she never thought to check the date. Going to be an all nighter running and keeping my mom's oxygen going and one really long weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hawgrider
07-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Yes it very warm but the humidity is a killer lately. This morning I emptied the rain gauge and it was 2 inches yesterday through this morning. Not sure where we're at now as I have been to busy keeping everything together. Had onion outside and covered with a tarp. It blew off and they got soaked. Had to move them to the garage and put fans on them. Then I found an apple tree tilted over so I had to work on getting that straighten back up. Tomorrow will be garden repair as I seen tomato and pepper plants turned over. Hopefully no losses though. It did take a lot of apples off the trees so I'm a little disappointed I was hoping to make a large batch of apple butter if I locate a copper kettle so I can do it the old school way. So that might not be in the cards for this year.

Mother nature can be cruel as hell! Geesh imagine a farmer getting wiped out with no hope of harvest to pay the bills... life is pretty hard sometimes.

Broncosfan
07-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Mother nature can be cruel as hell! Geesh imagine a farmer getting wiped out with no hope of harvest to pay the bills... life is pretty hard sometimes.

I had a farmer tell me when I was about 8 not to become a farmer. It was addictive and it was like gambling and playing the stock market. You could lose everything instantly. At the time I had little idea of what the stock market was. Glad we don't have to rely on what we grow but it sure a nice addition and sure helps on the grocery bill.

hawgrider
07-07-2017, 09:20 PM
I had a farmer tell me when I was about 8 not to become a farmer. It was addictive and it was like gambling and playing the stock market. You could lose everything instantly. At the time I had little idea of what the stock market was. Glad we don't have to rely on what we grow but it sure a nice addition and sure helps on the grocery bill.

Farming is a tough life. A wholesome life but a tough one!

Dwight55
07-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Really been fortunate here, . . . since Nov 1994, we've seen maybe a half dozen of those 20 minute to 4 hour things.

One lasted about 2 1/2 days, . . . and another was just short of 24 hrs.

I do have a generator we bought back in '08 that has never been run, . . . use a car battery and a 2000W inverter to provide lighting to 6 rooms in the house. Only use LED bulbs, . . . it works like a champ. Hope to add another battery and a solar panel to keep everything topped off.

When I get the other battery, . . . gonna see if it will also handle the computer and modem. Sure hope so.

May God bless,
Dwight

Broncosfan
07-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Farmer definitely aren't paid enough for what they do. I don't know how some of them do it. The price of the equipment and now land is skyrocketing.

Inor
07-07-2017, 11:52 PM
We have our butts hanging in the wind with power right now. I need power to run the pressure pump to get water from our storage tank into the house. Without that, we are left using a bucket to dip water from the tank. But we are pretty well tapped out financially paying for the build. So it is going to be a year or so until I can afford to pay $10K for a good Generac system. Until then, we are going to hope for the best and plan for the worst. At least we have 1500 gallons of potable water above ground even it means dipping it.

Gambit
07-08-2017, 12:10 AM
I can afford to pay $10K for a good .\
trhats what he said to her
I'm really drunk not buzzed but drunk

BucketBack
07-08-2017, 02:38 AM
Kent and Ottawa Counties in MeatChix had reports of 103MPH straight line winds Thursday night. Consumers said 6500 wires were down.
Lots of trres down too, most won't get power back until midnight Sunday. Maybe Consumers said.

MI.oldguy
07-08-2017, 10:07 AM
We've been lucky here.Marquette Mi.board of light and power is pretty good about the power situation since we are so rural,maybe a few seconds switching or last major outage was 12 minutes.we pay dearly for our power as the board has bought some gigantic Ng/diesel gensets for a price of some $75 million bucks so,our rates went up some 30%.due to the powerline transmission service not guaranteeing reliable power to our area.and the phasing out of our old coal fired plant here.

Broncosfan
07-08-2017, 05:59 PM
We have power and back on a day early. After all the text messages today I was getting with different times I doubted it would be early. I got one @ 5:01 stating it would be on tomorrow and at 5:06 got one that stated back on @ 6:30 pm today. Well its nice not to have to fill the generator anymore tonight. I was using 1/2 gallon an hr the best I could tell.

hawgrider
07-08-2017, 06:49 PM
We have power and back on a day early. After all the text messages today I was getting with different times I doubted it would be early. I got one @ 5:01 stating it would be on tomorrow and at 5:06 got one that stated back on @ 6:30 pm today. Well its nice not to have to fill the generator anymore tonight. I was using 1/2 gallon an hr the best I could tell.

Excellent glad to hear it.

TJC44
07-08-2017, 09:22 PM
I am fortunate now, that the house is fairly close to main lines. Back in the apartment, about 5 years back, we had the Halloween snowstorm. Had a lot of the state and most of town out for a week. Me, Mrs TJC, and my 2 brothers stayed at my sister's place for a week. They never lost power.
I think the longest outage was a few hours, because of an accident.