PDA

View Full Version : The 9mm

Arizona Infidel
07-26-2014, 01:11 PM
I found this interesting.

http://youtu.be/_wXFf34bB34
I think I'm gonna have to rethink the 9. Looking forward to watching the video on the hollow points.
So my question is, why couldn't you use a small scope on that thing? I doubt it would take down an elk, but for anti personnel it would sure piss someone off at 400 or so yards.
I'm thinking 9mm handgun, 9mm rifle. Might be a good bug out combo.

ekim
07-26-2014, 01:56 PM
First off, pretty good shooting from a hand gun at 100 and 200 yards and the penetration was better then I would have thought for a "smaller" caliber hand gun round. I wonder what the bullet drop is for the 9mm from a 16" barrel is at 440 yards?

Arizona Infidel
07-26-2014, 03:28 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking and wondering mikE

rice paddy daddy
07-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Well, Winchester and Colt did this in the 1870's with the 38-44 black powder round, which really was a .40 caliber and about the same power level as a modern 9MM. While not exactly ideal for hunting such animals as deer it certainly was used for that.
I think if range was kept reasonable, say 200 yards or less, it would be better than a sharp stick, and 100 or less it would be adequate.

Arizona Infidel
07-26-2014, 03:51 PM
I think it might work fine for up to coues whitetail. Baby wild hogs? Don't know about full grown ones. Beaver, possum, coon, coyote, mountain lion, bobcat. Etc.

HuntingHawk
07-26-2014, 06:08 PM
I think I'm seeing the results different then everyone else & that is over penetration. 38cal hole going in & 38cal hole going out. Round isn't giving up its full energy to the target if its exiting the back. And that is why I prefer SJSP in 9mm.

Arizona Infidel
07-26-2014, 06:13 PM
I think I'm seeing the results different then everyone else & that is over penetration. 38cal hole going in & 38cal hole going out. Round isn't giving up its full energy to the target if its exiting the back. And that is why I prefer SJSP in 9mm. I don't think it's supposed to expand from wood. Wood is the military's test as I understand it. If it penetrates fully a 1/2 inch pine plank it will kill you. Never saw a test where a bullet had proper expansion from wood. Not even hollow points. I would have liked them to show what it did with the ballistic gel better.

HuntingHawk
07-26-2014, 07:00 PM
True, but didn't see expansion in the ballistics torso either but they didn't show the exit hole either.

Arizona Infidel
07-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Yes, I would have liked to see that, but why wouldn't it have expanded? A 9mm expands in ballistic gel.

dsdmmat
07-27-2014, 01:20 AM
If the velocity is below a certian point the rounds will not expand. That is the problem with shooting handgun bullets at longer distances. The velocity loss is enough to take the wind out of the sails of the high speed bullets.

I have 3 different carbine/ pistol combos they just make sense to me. I have one in 45ACP, .357 Mag and .41 Mag I have been looking at 44 Mag but really cannot justify it when I have the 41.