PDA

View Full Version : I want a new knife

Inor
07-27-2014, 12:45 PM
I want a new folding knife. I do not really NEED one. But I want one. DVOR is having a pretty good knife sale right now and I was thinking of the SOG SlimJim assisted folding knife.

http://www.dvor.com/sog-slimjim-knives-assisted-folding-knife.html?promotion=knife-clearance-58-2014-07-27

It looks a little more tacticool than what I usually go for. But I kind of like it. Do any of you have one or have any comments on it?

Arizona Infidel
07-27-2014, 12:52 PM
I have to join to see the price. I don't want to join. What's the price?

Inor
07-27-2014, 01:03 PM
I have to join to see the price. I don't want to join. What's the price?

$42.

Arizona Infidel
07-27-2014, 01:29 PM
I don't like it.
I just ordered a Kershaw Blur S30V.
I got one for my kid in Feb. and I really liked it. So since I chipped the edge of my Benchmade I got it so I have a good knife while mine is off getting the blade replaced.
Want the link?
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1670S30V-Knife-Steel-SpeedSafe/dp/B0015ZXCT0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406485734&sr=8-2&keywords=Kershaw+Blur
I was gonna pick up one that was black washed, but it was sandvick steel special made for Kershaw. Supposed to be able to get it really sharp, and it's supposed to stay really sharp longer than S30V but S30V is supposed to hold up better under rough use. Did you understand that? Cause I don't. So I went with the S30V.

Deebo
07-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Both look good, but I prefer to carry thin handled knives. Gotta feel them, check the joints for slop, and I don't carry clipped on top if pocket, I carry in pocket, usually right front, so I like them light, and flat.

Infidel
07-27-2014, 09:36 PM
I've got a SOG Flash II that I like a lot so if that Slim Jim floats your boat I would think it should be a pretty good knife. I also have a Kershaw Blur which is a hell of a knife for the money and Kershaw will take care of any issues you might have. I have a tendency to abuse knives so I always have a few that are broken, I sent 4 of the Kershaw Ken Onion knives back for repair and had them back in short order with every thing fixed, new blades, new torsion bars, safeties fixed. No issue with Kershaw's Customer Service.

-Infidel

Arklatex
07-27-2014, 09:45 PM
I am a kershaw fan as well. Especially their made in usa blades by Ken onion. They are a great value imo. No experience with sog but aren't they made in china now?

Arizona Infidel
07-27-2014, 09:50 PM
The Blur is a Ken Onion blade.

Nightshade
07-28-2014, 10:36 PM
My main knife is the "prodigy" it is a good blade. i recently took it out and broke up ice blocks with it...pretty sweet blade. it costs about 50 bucks some places

Inor
07-28-2014, 10:51 PM
I am a kershaw fan as well. Especially their made in usa blades by Ken onion. They are a great value imo. No experience with sog but aren't they made in china now?

That is the big problem I have with it. Made in Taiwan. The only reason I am giving it a thought is because I inadvertently bought a skew chisel that I found out after the fact was made in Taiwan and it is very good steel.

Even so, I decided to pass on this one mainly because ordering over intertubes, I cannot feel it. I like to know how a tool feels in my hand before I buy it.

AI: When they say a grade of steel is able to get REALLY REALLY sharp and stay REALLY REALLY sharp, it means that it is REALLY REALLY hard (read that to mean REALLY REALLY brittle). I have a set of German woodworking chisels that are made from German A2 steel. They are so hard, they absolutely will not sharpen on Arkansas oil stones. The only thing I can sharpen them with are either Japanese water stones or a diamond sharpener and they beat the shit out of both. But for bench chisels, where they are only being used for fine woodwork, that is desirable. For a knife that is going to be beat up cutting anything and everything it is a different story.

Arklatex
07-29-2014, 12:10 AM
That is the big problem I have with it. Made in Taiwan. The only reason I am giving it a thought is because I inadvertently bought a skew chisel that I found out after the fact was made in Taiwan and it is very good steel.

I only have one knife that is not made in usa. It is a crkt m16 made in Taiwan. The steel is nothing fancy (aus-8) but I am actually quite impressed with it. It has been a great beater knife. It was cheap and it does what I need it to do. That said: buy a usa blade. 'Merica :cool:

dsdmmat
07-29-2014, 12:41 AM
I have an SOG fixed blade on my body armor I can not remember the name of the knife but it is pretty nice I'll have to look at it tonight to get the model name. The only folders that I have carried in the past 20 years were the Gerber, Rex Applegate model, a Boker automatic and Benchmade automatic (AFO). I have a TOPS Air Marshal fixed blade that I keep in my 72 hour bag.

1moretoy
07-29-2014, 04:30 PM
I've got a SOG Flash II that I like a lot so if that Slim Jim floats your boat I would think it should be a pretty good knife. I also have a Kershaw Blur which is a hell of a knife for the money and Kershaw will take care of any issues you might have. I have a tendency to abuse knives so I always have a few that are broken, I sent 4 of the Kershaw Ken Onion knives back for repair and had them back in short order with every thing fixed, new blades, new torsion bars, safeties fixed. No issue with Kershaw's Customer Service.

-Infidel

I had forgotten about mine until you said that. Here is a Kershaw Ken Onion design Vapor model

James m
07-29-2014, 07:59 PM
I had a Kershaw serrated blade knife when I was about 19. I must have had four or five. Because some pinko communists kept taking it.

Just Sayin'
08-05-2014, 04:24 PM
So have you picked one out yet?

And I just thought of this since you travel a lot. Shortly after 9/11 when they banned all knives on an aircraft, I was about to go through the security checkpoint and discovered my knife was in my pocket, because I forgot to put it in with my checked bags. I didn't figure that I would get it through in my laptop bag, and was panicking, because I really like my knife. It was in OKC and I was going to be back there in a week or two, so I nonchalantly eased over to one of the big potted plants nearby and discreetly tucked it in under the moss stuff. A couple of weeks later, I was lucky and able to retrieve it. I've also had to mail one from one of the pak mail places some airports have after pulling the same bonehead maneuver and forgetting to check it.

Inor
08-05-2014, 05:46 PM

I did. I picked up a Kershaw Leek yesterday evening.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/leek

And I just thought of this since you travel a lot. Shortly after 9/11 when they banned all knives on an aircraft, I was about to go through the security checkpoint and discovered my knife was in my pocket, because I forgot to put it in with my checked bags. I didn't figure that I would get it through in my laptop bag, and was panicking, because I really like my knife. It was in OKC and I was going to be back there in a week or two, so I nonchalantly eased over to one of the big potted plants nearby and discreetly tucked it in under the moss stuff. A couple of weeks later, I was lucky and able to retrieve it. I've also had to mail one from one of the pak mail places some airports have after pulling the same bonehead maneuver and forgetting to check it.

I did *exactly* the same thing at the Cincinnati airport back in '03! :D I was just going home for the weekend, so I slipped it under the grass in one of the big indoor planters. The following Sunday, I picked it up on my way out.

Innkeeper
08-05-2014, 06:20 PM
I have a Benchmade Auto I carry, was issued to me in '05, but I do have several Gerbers all well made the Applegate folder, a mini Swagger, and a paraframe, plus several others. If you are LE, MIL, or FF, you can register for the PRO Purchase program and it gets you a really nice price on most of their mil and tactical knives and equipment as well as deal in most of the other categories. So I find it a good way to get good knives for me and my family and keep the price down.

1moretoy
08-05-2014, 06:20 PM

Ha. Too funny cause I did that at the courthouse once not knowing I could just hand it to the security guard and pick it up on the way out. I left mine on the edge of an outside trash can. I wasn't so lucky...it was trash day and I couldn't find it when I came back out. :banghead:

Innkeeper
08-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Ha. Too funny cause I did that at the courthouse once not knowing I could just hand it to the security guard and pick it up on the way out. I left mine on the edge of an outside trash can. I wasn't so lucky...it was trash day and I couldn't find it when I came back out. :banghead:

I have done that more then once while working with Recruiting command walk in to the courthouse to do a background check only to set off the metal detector, it is second nature in uniform I always have a blade on me , luckily the deputy on duty always just hold my blade while I am in. I forget them at the schools too, but luckily up here no metal detectors, things are not so bad here yet.

Infidel
08-05-2014, 07:27 PM
I have a Benchmade Auto I carry, was issued to me in '05, but I do have several Gerbers all well made the Applegate folder, a mini Swagger, and a paraframe, plus several others. If you are LE, MIL, or FF, you can register for the PRO Purchase program and it gets you a really nice price on most of their mil and tactical knives and equipment as well as deal in most of the other categories. So I find it a good way to get good knives for me and my family and keep the price down.

I never knew about the Pro Purchase Program, just signed myself up. This could get expensive.

Inor, you'll love that Leek. I've been carrying it's big brother the Scallion as a work knife for years great knives and their customer service is great.

-Infidel

P.S. don't use that Leek as a pry bar or a screwdriver and it should last for years. That's how I broke most of mine. They don't call me Primitive Pete for nothing.

Innkeeper
08-05-2014, 07:56 PM
I never knew about the Pro Purchase Program, just signed myself up. This could get expensive.

Inor, you'll love that Leek. I've been carrying it's big brother the Scallion as a work knife for years great knives and their customer service is great.

-Infidel

P.S. don't use that Leek as a pry bar or a screwdriver and it should last for years. That's how I broke most of mine. They don't call me Primitive Pete for nothing.

I am glad I could help someone find the program, it has been bad on my pocket book too. lol

They have a great new light The Cortex for the price is top notch it can use either AA or cr123, cheaper then the surfire I lost on my last deployment, and easily as good if not better. I like the fact it can use multiple types of batteries. I have only had it 2 months now but after I have run it the full gamut of abuse I will let you know how it holds up, but so far excellent.

Inor
08-05-2014, 09:30 PM

-Infidel

Sure thing chief! Thanks for the heads up.

Arizona Infidel
08-06-2014, 09:19 AM
My Blur got delivered last night. On thing I forgot is they are set up point down. Kinda awkward. Gotta chane the clip.

Infidel
08-06-2014, 10:32 AM
I prefer the tip down on my knives. I guess it's all in what you're used to. I find the tip up method uncomfortable and I have to think about how I pull it out of my pocket a little more, I'm sure I could get used to it if I tried. A knife with a clip that carries tip up wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but if I could change it I would.

-Infidel

Arklatex
08-06-2014, 11:38 AM
I prefer the tip down on my knives. I guess it's all in what you're used to. I find the tip up method uncomfortable and I have to think about how I pull it out of my pocket a little more, I'm sure I could get used to it if I tried. A knife with a clip that carries tip up wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but if I could change it I would.

-Infidel
Same for me. When I first started carrying these types of knives tip up wasn't even an option for the pocket clip. I don't even think about the draw it's just a natural move for me. Unless it's tip up I have to stop and think for a second. Just an old habit I guess.

Deebo
08-12-2014, 01:20 AM
I have a small amount if knives, but with deer season approaching, I may get a havolon, the one with the replaceable blades. Gotta go to LGS and feel it.