PDA

View Full Version : Small Town Living

SquirrelBait
07-27-2014, 06:59 PM
I live in a small town that calls itself a city. It's in a rural setting. It's less than 2,000 population. The number of scalawags, Rapscallions, And ne'erdowells is growing, And they are getting bolder every day.

In the event the brown hits the blades I know that these POS will be eyeballing the squirrel's nest. Said nest is a sweet set up, And I have medical issues that make bugging out all but impossible.

Advice?

Arizona Infidel
07-27-2014, 07:36 PM
I live in a small town that calls itself a city. It's in a rural setting. It's less than 2,000 population. The number of scalawags, Rapscallions, And ne'erdowells is growing, And they are getting bolder every day.

In the event the brown hits the blades I know that these POS will be eyeballing the squirrel's nest. Said nest is a sweet set up, And I have medical issues that make bugging out all but impossible.

Advice?591
And if the Evil Black style is to scary for you, it also comes in the Hello Kitty style.

HuntingHawk
07-27-2014, 08:02 PM
If your place is fenced in, I would suggest some watch dogs as they can hear see, & smell better then humans so are excellent for early warning.

Arklatex
07-27-2014, 08:26 PM
I feel you squirrel. I live in a small town too and it is slowly being taken over by trash. If you are bugging in I would suggest arming yourself (if you're not already) and be prepared to defend yourself from the takers. Get an ar or ak type rifle and plenty of mags and ammo. The guard dog idea is great as well. But I suspect you already have that covered. Motion sensor lights are another suggestion.

Tachammer73
07-27-2014, 10:02 PM
^^^^ +1

Coppertop
07-27-2014, 10:20 PM
"Can't you just move away?"----Ha Ha I love that line. I'm with Tachammer and Ark

big paul
07-28-2014, 01:25 AM
I live on the extreme edge of a small rural market town, some people call it a town others refer to it as a village, the parish population is 1,300, the river cuts the town in two and I live on the out of town side. most people are ok and friendly, but there is one family I don't trust and have been known to be trouble makers in the past, in fact I had trouble with them the day after we moved here, and these are the ones i'll be watching post SHTF.

SquirrelBait
07-28-2014, 09:47 AM
And if the Evil Black style is to scary for you, it also comes in the Hello Kitty style.

I've never tried the hello kitty style. Does it work as well as the AR-15? I have carried an M-16 (Same thing as the AR-15 but with full auto selection.)

SquirrelBait
07-28-2014, 09:49 AM
If your place is fenced in, I would suggest some watch dogs as they can hear see, & smell better then humans so are excellent for early warning.

Check. The mutts have that covered.

SquirrelBait
07-28-2014, 09:50 AM
I feel you squirrel. I live in a small town too and it is slowly being taken over by trash. If you are bugging in I would suggest arming yourself (if you're not already) and be prepared to defend yourself from the takers. Get an ar or ak type rifle and plenty of mags and ammo. The guard dog idea is great as well. But I suspect you already have that covered. Motion sensor lights are another suggestion.

Check. Motion detector lights are up in all key areas.

SquirrelBait
07-28-2014, 09:51 AM
"Can't you just move away?"----Ha Ha I love that line. I'm with Tachammer and Ark

As am I. Where would I move to that wouldn't see the same thing happen again sooner or later anyway?

No, Time to turn, And if necessary bare the fangs and claws.

SquirrelBait
07-28-2014, 09:54 AM
I live on the extreme edge of a small rural market town, some people call it a town others refer to it as a village, the parish population is 1,300, the river cuts the town in two and I live on the out of town side. most people are ok and friendly, but there is one family I don't trust and have been known to be trouble makers in the past, in fact I had trouble with them the day after we moved here, and these are the ones i'll be watching post SHTF.

Watch them closely, Learn their weaknesses, Look for their patterns. Know what they will do before they do.

Arklatex
07-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Sounds like you have it pretty well covered.

Arklatex
07-28-2014, 10:02 AM
How close are the undesireable neighbors?

big paul
07-28-2014, 10:47 AM
next street but their back garden backs onto ours, but we have the high ground. there is supposed to be a path separating the fences but they have stolen the land and incorporated it into their garden.

SquirrelBait
07-28-2014, 10:59 AM
How close are the undesireable neighbors?

The closest are approximately one hundred yards East of me.

MI.oldguy
07-28-2014, 11:12 AM

Advice?

Pretty much same boat here,health issues,gonna bug in,I recently joined a neighborhood watch group,we are not armed but,we know whats going on in our neighborhood.our town is 10,000 give or take 20,000 when the university is in session.
at the very least now,our watch area is about 20 square blocks until we get more volunteers.we need more two way radios though.we do have several cheap walkies right now.one member is an off duty LEO he can carry but doesn't. at least he is able to use his issued two way to get real backup.he wont specify but,tells us what homes and cars to watch,he really cannot say. we are getting a lot of trash from downstate Michigan and Illinois mostly,meth,heroin,bath salts,and there have been a few home invasions starting to happen.our dog is just an alarm but she is loud and sounds like a much bigger dog,we have several night vision webcams connected to our computer and are using vitamin d video to surveil our property.our house is small so I run usb extension cable, it was cheaper than buying a router and cameras etc,and the video quality is decent.we do have several firearms handy at all times as,we don't have to lock them up,no kids.and we always carry concealed when out of the house.

SquirrelBait
07-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Pretty much same boat here,health issues,gonna bug in,I recently joined a neighborhood watch group,we are not armed but,we know whats going on in our neighborhood.our town is 10,000 give or take 20,000 when the university is in session.
at the very least now, our watch area is about 20 square blocks until we get more volunteers.we need more two way radios though.one member is an off duty LEO he can carry but doesn't at least he is able to use his issued two way to get real backup.he wont specify but,tells us what homes and cars to watch,he really cannot say we are getting a lot of trash from downstate Michigan an Illinois mostly,meth,heroin,bath salts,and there have been a few home invasions starting to happen.our dog is just an alarm but she is loud and sounds like a much bigger dog,we have several cams connected to our computer and are using vitamin d video to surveil our property. we do have several firearms handy at all times,dont have to lock them up,no kids or on body when out of the house.

Wow! Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation.

Arklatex
07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
The closest are approximately one hundred yards East of me.

A bad situation there. Maybe they'll get busted before SHTF. Maybe you can learn a few booby traps or make the fence harder to scale. Tanglefoot could be used but it's not good for dogs.

MI.oldguy
07-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Wow! Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation.

We do try,I don't know if any of the watch members are like any of us (hint), but,at least we are trying.I would like to do more but,my tired old body is really ****ed up.I hope you and yours have no altercations with those nasty ****ers.

omegabrock
07-28-2014, 02:12 PM
scalawags, Rapscallions, And ne'erdowells

what are these and will i be considered any of them when i move to the country?

Arklatex
07-28-2014, 02:19 PM
what are these and will i be considered any of them when i move to the country?

Meth heads and criminal types. You're one of the good guys.

omegabrock
07-28-2014, 03:30 PM
oh damn...not where i was expecting that to go lol

ekim
07-28-2014, 03:47 PM
The little burg I live by, on the edge of, has about 600 people and more than its fair share of misfits. My neighbor is one of them and I watch what gos on there all the time, so does the local sheriff. My AK is always loaded along with all the magazines. Hell all my weapons are loaded 24/7. I can get off several hundred rounds before thinking about reloading any weapon / magazines!

longrider
07-31-2014, 04:25 PM
SquirrelBait, Do you have any neighbors that are possible allies? Thank God I just met another neighbor new to the area, that I think would be good. They live 4 doors down from me. Is it possible to meet people at church or another function? I know from experience that it is hard to meet people. But even if you're shy, fake it. Fake being gregarious, and pretty soon it'll be second nature to you. I had to, due to a job I had. It really works.

I live in New Ulm. How far are you?

Slippy
07-31-2014, 05:28 PM
SquirrelBait, Do you have any neighbors that are possible allies? Thank God I just met another neighbor new to the area, that I think would be good. They live 4 doors down from me. Is it possible to meet people at church or another function? I know from experience that it is hard to meet people. But even if you're shy, fake it. Fake being gregarious, and pretty soon it'll be second nature to you. I had to, due to a job I had. It really works.

Hey Ms Longrider! Long time no see. Hope you've been well.

SquirrelBait
08-09-2014, 03:11 AM
Appleton, Mn. West of you Longrider.

Innkeeper
08-09-2014, 10:08 AM
at the very least now,our watch area is about 20 square blocks until we get more volunteers.we need more two way radios though.we do have several cheap walkies right now.one member is an off duty LEO he can carry but doesn't. at least he is able to use his issued two way to get real backup.he wont specify but,tells us what homes and cars to watch,he really cannot say. we are getting a lot of trash from downstate Michigan and Illinois mostly,meth,heroin,bath salts,and there have been a few home invasions starting to happen.our dog is just an alarm but she is loud and sounds like a much bigger dog,we have several night vision webcams connected to our computer and are using vitamin d video to surveil our property.our house is small so I run usb extension cable, it was cheaper than buying a router and cameras etc,and the video quality is decent.we do have several firearms handy at all times as,we don't have to lock them up,no kids.and we always carry concealed when out of the house.

Are you in that Border crossing town with the Canukians?

Innkeeper
08-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Squirrelbait are you in town or outside of town? If your outside consider buying some Geese, they can supplement your food or provide eggs as needed plus historically they are far better watch animals then dogs and with their nasty temper will go after people.

The town I live in has about 3600-3700 but doubles and sometimes triples in summer and winter with all the tourists, big golfing, camping, skiing and Snowmobiling area. The County has about 24k people, and yes we have our share of trouble makers as you , and it is always growing. Luckily there is just as many here if not more who have and know how to use guns, when I went to the Gun Board for my CPL there were 40 other people there and My friend the Sherriff says that is the normal size. There is also a good number of Guardsmen living in the area as a huge Guard base is in a county south of us. There is also a large Military retiree population, and good old farmers. Though I try to keep an eye on the undesirables in my area and if they hang around, that is part of why I am moving to get away from those groups and give myself more time to be ready and better neighbors . My new home is a little outside of town with a few less neighbors but of a better sort.

MI.oldguy
08-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Are you in that Border crossing town with the Canukians?

No,they are across the big lake from us.we are in the biggest county in the UP.

Innkeeper
08-09-2014, 03:53 PM
ahh ok....yeah my kid is going to school up in the UP this fall, but I am lucky and my ex lives up there as well......I have some good friends who are Yoopers one of them moved his family down to Cp Grayling for a nice AGR job but he should be retiring soon he is an O-5 now and not all that many Full Bird slots especially if he does not want to transfer down into the flatlands. One of these days I will look for land up there by the time I retire for the second time I think the UP will be my resting place, either that or the Georgia coast.

MI.oldguy
08-09-2014, 05:52 PM
ahh ok....yeah my kid is going to school up in the UP this fall, but I am lucky and my ex lives up there as well......I have some good friends who are Yoopers one of them moved his family down to Cp Grayling for a nice AGR job but he should be retiring soon he is an O-5 now and not all that many Full Bird slots especially if he does not want to transfer down into the flatlands. One of these days I will look for land up there by the time I retire for the second time I think the UP will be my resting place, either that or the Georgia coast.

MTU or NMU?....yes,the UP is a good place still,we have moved for our third and last time.crime is on the uprise though.b&e's,meth,and a lot of heroin lately,sigh,I guess the crap is EVERYWHERE these days...a few home invasions here recently,I pity the fool that kicks our door in.......

SquirrelBait
08-11-2014, 12:27 PM

I know of two families of like minded people. I don't know how far I could depend on them though?

Innkeeper
08-14-2014, 04:55 PM
MTU or NMU?....yes,the UP is a good place still,we have moved for our third and last time.crime is on the uprise though.b&e's,meth,and a lot of heroin lately,sigh,I guess the crap is EVERYWHERE these days...a few home invasions here recently,I pity the fool that kicks our door in.......

BCC he has not really decided what he is going to take so a Community College is where he wants to start the Ex lives in the Soo so this lets him live with her for now. Yeah we have been seeing increases in B&E's and Meth here too...like you I pity the fool that breaks into my place even when I am home it looks like I am not half the time since I leave most of the lights off even when I am in the room. That and the dog is not a fan of strangers and I am getting another to keep her company when I am in class.

I had buddies go to both MTU and NMU, MTU was our rival when I was an engineering major at Ferris State.

tc556guy
11-09-2014, 05:14 PM

Advice?
In a place that size most of the locals know each other
If the ne'er do wells are acting up now, try to have whatever law enforcement presence you have make life as uncomfortable and the town as uninviting as you can.
Nothing illegal, but use the broken window theory of law enforcement to get the message through to them that their sort isn't welcome
Make as many alliances with the good people of the town as you can, to include having a personal debt ratio with the residents that's in your favor.
I'm a strong believer that one hand washes the other, and if local folks interact positively with you and they owe you favors, the day will come when you'll call in that favor or your reputation will work in your favor when it comes to local disputes.
My experience in villages that small around here is that the long time locals know who the bad apples in town are and I suspect they wont hesitate to deal with them if theres a breakdown in the normal order of things

Montana Rancher
11-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Although I appreciate the hello kitty AR in the first posts, the smarter play is a 12 gage shotgun.

1. it is cheaper to shoot
2. it will always be legal to own
3. you don't have to worry as much about killing an innocent neighbor 200 yards down range when you open up.
4. Nothing says back the F#$K off more than racking a shell into a 870
5. For pure stopping power, you can't beat a 12 gage at close range, at medium ranges you have more chances to hit.

On a side note, if you want to "drop" a perp using a handgun or rifle you need a head or leg shot, that will put them on the ground.
With a shotgun all you need to do is hit them, and for insurance hit them again, even if they have body armor they are going down, gives you time to consider your options.