PDA

View Full Version : Canning today?

Broncosfan
08-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Or have you done some this week? Making the best out of a poor garden this year. Tomatoes are below average due to rain here in Ohio. Making a triple batch of bread and butter pickles today. Maybe a batch of pickled onions.

hawgrider
08-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Just working with the garlic today here. Doesn't look like I will be canning much this year again. Did ferment some dilly beans though and they turn out yummy.

Dwight55
08-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Got the first few green beans, . . . 12 pints sitting on the shelf back there.

Won't be any banner year this year, . . . too much rain.

But, be thankful for what ya get is how I look at it.

May God bless,
Dwight

Broncosfan
08-05-2017, 06:51 PM
Got the first few green beans, . . . 12 pints sitting on the shelf back there.

Won't be any banner year this year, . . . too much rain.

But, be thankful for what ya get is how I look at it.

May God bless,
Dwight

Yes a bad year for sure way too much rain. I always put up the extra in the good years because no ones knows what will happen for the next year. My beans are just starting out. I think I will have plenty but my tomatoes are going downhill quick.

Broncosfan
09-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Busy weekend. As a family we canned 61 quarts of applesauce this weekend. The reference book I have on canning says approx 3 lbs apples per quart. Rough estimate I used around 160 lbs so that was a nice surprise in saving. Still have apples left to pick. Going to dehydrate some as they get ripe. Next up Cowboy candy!

RubberDuck
09-03-2017, 10:28 PM
I got to sample some cowboy candy that stuff was great and definitely want to make some.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Broncosfan
09-04-2017, 06:25 AM
I got to sample some cowboy candy that stuff was great and definitely want to make some.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes I agree. This will be the third year I have made it and its popular. My wife even likes it especially on nachos.

shootbrownelk
09-04-2017, 12:10 PM
I picked around 20 eggs today. Heavy on the Jalapenos.

Deebo
09-13-2017, 08:34 AM
7 quarts of pickles. One is mine, has a few peppers and an onion thrown in. First attempt at pickles.3814

Deebo
09-13-2017, 08:35 AM
there is some leftover brine, I will probably boil some eggs tonight.

Dwight55
09-13-2017, 02:57 PM
there is some leftover brine, I will probably boil some eggs tonight.

I'm assuming pickled eggs, . . . how about whoopin' that recipe on us?

I like eggs pickled in juice that previously had pickled beets, . . . just might be up for some pickled eggs.

Got to thinking that might be a good way to convert eggs to a quickly edible, . . . high protein, . . . snack, . . . or quick breakfast.

Thanks for the idea........

May God bless,
Dwight

Deebo
09-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Dwight, I am no recipe follower, I remember last nights KINDA
10 cups water, 5 cups vinegar, 1 cup Kosher salt, and 2 jars of pickling spice, NO fresh dill was available, so 3 TBS dill.
All the spices were put into three coffee filters (to tie off).
Boiled for 10 minutes and then poured over jarred cucumbers.
I might have enough brine for 6 or so eggs. Nobody else will touch them.
I have made some pickled eggs, followed recipe from here I think.
The only thing I do different, than some, is to run a toothpick from the top of the boiled egg, through the bottom. Seems to let more flavor into the egg.

hawgrider
09-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Dwight, I am no recipe follower, I remember last nights KINDA
10 cups water, 5 cups vinegar, 1 cup Kosher salt, and 2 jars of pickling spice, NO fresh dill was available, so 3 TBS dill.
All the spices were put into three coffee filters (to tie off).
Boiled for 10 minutes and then poured over jarred cucumbers.
I might have enough brine for 6 or so eggs. Nobody else will touch them.
I have made some pickled eggs, followed recipe from here I think.
The only thing I do different, than some, is to run a toothpick from the top of the boiled egg, through the bottom. Seems to let more flavor into the egg.

Please skip the toothpick Deebo. A guy died in Ohio using that method. The article should be around here somewhere.

hawgrider
09-13-2017, 05:43 PM
A common practice is to puncture the egg with a toothpick to allow the pickling solution to penetrate to the egg's interior, but this is dangerous as it can introduce clostridium into the finished product.[1] Eggs prepared with this method have sometimes had high enough levels of botulinum toxin to cause illness in humans. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_egg

Broncosfan
09-13-2017, 07:09 PM
Very good advise Hawgrider. I know several people that have gotten sick from not pickling eggs correctly.

Deebo
09-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Well. I was rushed last night, the loving wife was making blueberry jelly, while I made my pickled eggs, so no toothpick puncture..

Deebo
09-14-2017, 08:25 AM
They wont last long enough to make me sick. But I did waterbath seal them, just for piece of mind to let them fridgerate for about 7 days.

Deebo
09-14-2017, 08:34 AM
C. botulinum spores are ubiquitous. Safe food preservation methods destroy spores or inhibit their germination and growth. Conditions that promote germination and growth of C. botulinum spores include absence of oxygen (anaerobic conditions), low acidity (pH >4.6), temperatures >39 F [4 C]), and high moisture content. Most foodborne botulism cases that occur in the United States are the result of improperly home-canned foods. This is the first reported case of botulism related to eating pickled eggs. The amount of toxin detected in the recovered egg yolk suggested that bacterial growth was concentrated in that portion of the egg. Intact eggs that have been hard-boiled should be free of bacteria or spores. Pricking cooked eggs may introduce C. botulinum spores into the yolk. Portions of the yolk that remained anaerobic and inadequately pickled (i.e., not acidified to pH <4.6) may have allowed C. botulinum spores to germinate, grow, and form toxin. Setting the pickling jar in sunlight provided warmth that facilitated bacterial growth and toxin production.
I am not an arguer, but I just don't understand, how the "egg yolk inhibited botulism". It does say there was no present bot in the brine, only the yolk?
Maybe a bad egg? And how old was the batch, and it mentions sunlight, which would seem like no refridge?

Either way, no big deal. (DRAGO from Rocky (IF HE DIES, HE DIES).
Just kidding. I haven't eaten enough to know if puncturing helps anyway, so I wont do it.

hawgrider
09-14-2017, 08:46 AM
C. botulinum spores are ubiquitous. Safe food preservation methods destroy spores or inhibit their germination and growth. Conditions that promote germination and growth of C. botulinum spores include absence of oxygen (anaerobic conditions), low acidity (pH >4.6), temperatures >39 F [4 C]), and high moisture content. Most foodborne botulism cases that occur in the United States are the result of improperly home-canned foods. This is the first reported case of botulism related to eating pickled eggs. The amount of toxin detected in the recovered egg yolk suggested that bacterial growth was concentrated in that portion of the egg. Intact eggs that have been hard-boiled should be free of bacteria or spores. Pricking cooked eggs may introduce C. botulinum spores into the yolk. Portions of the yolk that remained anaerobic and inadequately pickled (i.e., not acidified to pH <4.6) may have allowed C. botulinum spores to germinate, grow, and form toxin. Setting the pickling jar in sunlight provided warmth that facilitated bacterial growth and toxin production.
I am not an arguer, but I just don't understand, how the "egg yolk inhibited botulism". It does say there was no present bot in the brine, only the yolk?
Maybe a bad egg? And how old was the batch, and it mentions sunlight, which would seem like no refridge?

Just kidding. I haven't eaten enough to know if puncturing helps anyway, so I wont do it.
Just lookin out for a friend Deebo its a bad practice and wanted you aware of it. Im sure many people still use that method.

But the way I figger is a man is only born with so much luck.... Ive used most of mine up so I don't dick around when it comes to canning or making pickled eggs. I have made Lots and Lots of pickled eggs.

Broncosfan
09-14-2017, 08:48 AM

Deebo
Good idea to be safe than sorry. I'm not sure how the yolk causing the problem but I have read it somewhere else. I think a lot of it is more by using factory farm food. Not always sanitary conditions etc. I always feel safer using food I grew and what I have canned.

Deebo
09-14-2017, 11:35 AM
Im trying to wait seven days....Hawg, is it necessary?
I did add some vinegar, and loose pickling spices, and kosher salt, boiled the hell out of it, and poured it over the eggs and peppers and onions.

hawgrider
09-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Im trying to wait seven days....Hawg, is it necessary?
I did add some vinegar, and loose pickling spices, and kosher salt, boiled the hell out of it, and poured it over the eggs and peppers and onions.

I don't water bath mine. There is no known safe waterbath method that makes them any safer to leave out a room temp than how I do them which is refrigerated and keep refrigerated until gone. Waterbath will continue to cook you already hard boiled eggs which will make the yolks very dry.

As to how long? I rarely make it much more than about 4 days and then have a sample. I seem to enjoy them the most early before the the egg white firms up from being pickled for several weeks. RubberDuck seems to be able to wait for 2 to 3 weeks but I never make it past 4 or 5 days at the most.

hawgrider
09-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Deebo I went looking for the article at PF and it looks like we have done this dance before...

Damn your stubborn LOL http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/recipes/12439-hawgs-pickled-eggs-5.html#post224692

Dwight55
09-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Botulism, . . . hmmm, . . .

Didn't take you guys long to talk me out of pickling eggs.

May God bless,
Dwight

Deebo
09-14-2017, 04:54 PM
too many good drugs HAWG.
Yes, my memory knew you had said do or don't could not remember which one.
Kinda like "three bell pepper lumps for cooking, four for raw"/
You ever hear of that one?
My brain is hurt, so I remember, three cook, because four raw doesn't match...now im confused

hawgrider
09-14-2017, 06:06 PM
too many good drugs HAWG.
Yes, my memory knew you had said do or don't could not remember which one.
Kinda like "three bell pepper lumps for cooking, four for raw"/
You ever hear of that one?
My brain is hurt, so I remember, three cook, because four raw doesn't match...now im confused

Hear ya... the 70's were a riot! :)

Broncosfan
09-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Now I have the 2017 green beans done for the year. Right around 80 quarts total. More apple to turn into sauce and spiced apple rings Saturday.

Coastie dad
05-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Here's another example if anyone cares:
8# ground beef
A variety of vegetables (corn, green beans, carrots, onion, potato)

While it is technically a stew, it is the basis for several other meals.
1-2 jars for shepherds pie.
1 jar combined 6 packs ramen= 6 meals
1 jar combined 2 boxes hamburger helper= 6+ meals

Etc, etc....

Edited to add: My rough and quick calculations say when combined with two cheap boxes hamburger helper or generic equivalent, each jar will feed 6 people for about $5.
That doesnt mean buffet all you can eat, but it will be filling and provide proteins, carbs, and vegetable goodness. Basically, it is a meal stretcher.

hawgrider
05-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Here's another example if anyone cares:
8# ground beef
A variety of vegetables (corn, green beans, carrots, onion, potato)

While it is technically a stew, it is the basis for several other meals.
1-2 jars for shepherds pie.
1 jar combined 6 packs ramen= 6 meals
1 jar combined 2 boxes hamburger helper= 6+ meals

Etc, etc....

Edited to add: My rough and quick calculations say when combined with two cheap boxes hamburger helper or generic equivalent, each jar will feed 6 people for about $5.
That doesnt mean buffet all you can eat, but it will be filling and provide proteins, carbs, and vegetable goodness. Basically, it is a meal stretcher.

Quart jars right ?

Coastie dad
05-03-2020, 03:38 PM
Yeah, hell...i forgot the picture..

Innkeeper
05-03-2020, 03:41 PM
Yeah, hell...i forgot the picture..

.10981Looks good, I may have to try that out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

hawgrider
05-03-2020, 03:46 PM
Looking good!

Coastie dad
05-03-2020, 03:47 PM
Will definitely stretch meals for large groups. Major factor, in my opinion, when dealing with large groups. More filling, less emotional response thinking they are hungry because of rationing, less quarreling over food.