PDA

View Full Version : Local plants that are usable?

Coppertop
07-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Where would I find a list/guide of local plants to work into my preps? I would like to know about medicinal, food, and others that may have any benefit. Thanks for any pointers

Arklatex
07-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Amazon and youtube would be a good starting point.

OSFG
07-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Make sure to get a good color photo paper back or hard cover book that is for your region. and find one that also includes warnings associated with the plants that indicate any hazardous plant that are similar in appearance. Or at least lists things like the Tubers are edible but the flower is poisonous...etc. Mimicry in nature can kill you quick.

Arklatex
07-27-2014, 10:41 PM
Yep. It's really easy to mistake the good from the bad. Easy to get sick. Especially when you get into mushrooms.

pheniox17
07-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Any local Indian tribes willing to share some knowledge for a few bucks??

Bigdogbuc
07-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Pheniox hit in the head. A local indian tribe has generations of handed down info regarding this stuff. The tribe that I used to work for had a program they were trying to start up, even get make it so kids could earn high school credit for it, on local plants (edible/medicinal) as well as fishing, hunting, stuff like that.

Also check your local County Extension Office or the local community college to see if they have free info or classes on the subject. You're more likely to come back from a field trip to the woods that way. ( =

pheniox17
07-28-2014, 12:31 AM
Well I know in nz Maori tribes still try and practice the old ways and normally willing to share if approached

Outback Australia its a tourist thing they try and keep up with, brings in extra cash and some areas go as far as to teach you how to cook a turtle

I would imagine some tribal communities may be up to run a class or even private lessons :D

Coppertop
07-28-2014, 01:44 AM
I know some people over in the reservation not far from here i will have to talk to. I don't get my hopes up real high with them. They seem to care for nothing unless the bottle is empty, then they care to find another.

Thanks for the ideas folks- I will look into this as soon as I go on days off.

Sarge7402
07-28-2014, 09:08 AM
One food source oft overlooked is acorns. the backwoodsman did a neat article on how to prep them. however this will give you an idea. http://survival.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2012/10/how-eat-acorns-ultimate-survival-food

Bigdogbuc
07-29-2014, 03:47 AM
I know some people over in the reservation not far from here i will have to talk to. I don't get my hopes up real high with them. They seem to care for nothing unless the bottle is empty, then they care to find another.

Thanks for the ideas folks- I will look into this as soon as I go on days off.

SE Montana? Crow or Cheyenne?

Coppertop
07-29-2014, 09:15 AM
SE Montana? Crow or Cheyenne?

Both- I am 45 miles from the Cheyenne and about 90 from the Crow