PDA

View Full Version : Different types of wood and their uses

hawgrider
09-05-2017, 05:37 AM
The role of wood in the old homesteaders’ lives cannot be overstated, and honestly, I think, has been a little forgotten. They built their cabins out of it, their furniture, they cooked over it, and built fences with it.

The majority of people nowadays go to Lowes or Home Depot for their wood, and ask the workers there for what they want. Until I got my hands on the FoxFire books, I had no idea how different each type of wood is, and how to choose which type for what we want on our homestead. Below I’ve shared what I’ve learned:

Firstly, when discussing wood, we’re either talking about green wood or seasoned wood. Wood will shrink as it dries out and seasons, so for the pieces that need to maintain their shape or fit, seasoned wood is always the best. Rafters, fence posts and rails, shingles, http://hillsborough-homesteading.com/different-types-of-wood-and-their-uses/

rice paddy daddy
04-27-2018, 06:24 PM
I guess I've got an advantage - I spent my working career, 45 years, in the building materials/lumber business.
Started out as a laborer in a lumber yard, worked my way up.

Slippy
04-27-2018, 06:41 PM
I had a bit of a different route than my hero rice paddy daddy, I studied to be a Forest Engineer in college, couldn't pass the upper level Calculus Courses so I changed my way and got an Industrial/Operations Bachelor of Science Degree with a Forest Products/Wood Science Minor.

My very first Forest Products Professor, Dr. Smith, started every class with the same line; "Keep Wood Inside Where It Belongs!"

Words to live by people, words to live by!

Camel923
04-27-2018, 08:20 PM
I have one use for my wood and that is with Mrs Camel.

Inor
04-27-2018, 10:12 PM
I have no professional experience working in a lumberyard nor do I have a degree dealing anything with wood. But I have made a LOT of sawdust over the last 35 years. Other than what my granddad and my good friend Harold taught me, all of my wood knowledge has come at the expense of ruining some mighty nice boards.

MI.oldguy
04-28-2018, 10:40 AM
I have one use for my wood and that is with Mrs Camel.

I just knew there wood be some remark such as this!.

BucketBack
04-28-2018, 11:03 AM
Wood Model Maker here

hawgrider
04-28-2018, 11:27 AM
Wood Model Maker here

Pattern maker for a foundry?

I worked in a cast iron foundry for while.

BucketBack
04-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Build some patterns also. Prototype Engineering Fixtures

We made BIG Models at Creative Industries Outer Drive and Mound . BIG like B1Bomber

It's were I got an FBI clearance at.

TJC44
04-28-2018, 03:18 PM
I had a bit of a different route than my hero rice paddy daddy, I studied to be a Forest Engineer in college, couldn't pass the upper level Calculus Courses so I changed my way and got an Industrial/Operations Bachelor of Science Degree with a Forest Products/Wood Science Minor.

My very first Forest Products Professor, Dr. Smith, started every class with the same line; "Keep Wood Inside Where It Belongs!"

Words to live by people, words to live by!I am wondering where one would use advanced calculus in a forestry degree?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

BucketBack
04-28-2018, 03:24 PM
I had a hard time with wine, wimmen, the 70's, and calculus

parabolic interpolation came in handy making a parabola*

*It's what reflects the light on auto lights BTW

eta I used Cherry for the model and IMPREG for the base

Inor
04-28-2018, 10:47 PM
I am wondering where one would use advanced calculus in a forestry degree?

I used to impress chicks at parties all the time with my ability to find the area under a sine wave. Mrs Inor was a bit harder to catch though. She wanted a guy that could teach her assembly language on a computer.

I once asked my dad: "Ragnar, what do women want?"

He replied, "Inor, that's simple. All women want More. More money, more time, more clothes and the ability find the area under a sine wave faster than anybody else."

I guess my dad was right.

Slippy
04-29-2018, 05:50 AM
I am wondering where one would use advanced calculus in a forestry degree?

Yeah, that's what I thought when I enrolled in Forest Engineering! The word Engineering in Forest Engineering differentiates it from Forestry.

Plenty of upper level Engineering, Math and Chemistry courses involved. The Forest Engineering Degree is similiar to a Civil Engineering degree.

http://bulletin.auburn.edu/coursesofinstruction/foen/

http://ferm.forestry.oregonstate.edu/sites/ferm.forestry.oregonstate.edu/files/FE%20Advising%20Guide%20-%202017%20-%2018.pdf

https://www.bachelorsportal.com/studies/114774/forest-engineering.html