PDA

View Full Version : timeframe

omegabrock
07-29-2014, 11:06 AM
how long has everybody been prepping? i see some posts and i'm filled with envy and jealousy which fuels my determination. i know most of yall have been in the game for a long time, but how long has it taken fo yall to be what you consider established? i know there are always improvements that can be made and new preps/toys to acquire but i would say a lot of yall have a great foundation and are far more prepared for any shtf scenario than most of the population and even other like minded people that are preparing.

i see people with talk about the guns and ammo they have, while i am busting ass to stay stocked in enough ammo to stay proficient in using my weapons.

i see people with so much knowledge of food stores, canning and jarring that i get overwhelmed just reading the threads.

i see people with so much hunting experience (and everything that goes with that) and i want to spend all day, every day learning and the rest of the time out in the woods honing those skills.

gardening and living independently, i can't even get into words.

i am extremely driven and when i get something in my head, i don't stop until i get where i want. i know this might come across as "omg i will never get there" but it's the opposite. seeing yall talk with the expertise yall have only motivates me more but i am wondering
1- how long did it take yall to get where you are?
2- how long did it take for yall to be somewhat confident in what you have, along with your skills?

i feel that i would last longer than a majority of the population, but i am not overconfident i would last long if shtf today. i would not give myself much longer than the completely oblivious citizen. maybe a couple of weeks, but i can admit that i am nowhere near prepared what i should be.

some things i do now, i am saving water and canned goods (along with ramen). i keep a certain amount of ammo, although it is still extremely limited. i explain things to my family. my wife knows the long term goals and she thinks i am crazy but she supports because she sees the value in prepping for natural disasters (we live in tornado alley) and she enjoys sending some rounds down range...my thanks for the post on the other forum about "how to introduce my wife without sounding crazy" and all of the input there. i feel extremely limited right now because i am still renting a house in the suburbs, trying to rebuild my credit so that i can take out a loan and build a house on some good land...so funds are very limited on extra things that don't help us get through the month to next paycheck.

Just Sayin'
07-29-2014, 12:18 PM
I think you'll find that most of the older people here have been prepping most of their life, they just didn't have a name for it until recently. Probably a high percentage of people that lived in the country, or were Boy Scouts or military service have always been a good bit more prepared than the average citizen. I'm not real sure when "Prepping" became mainstream for the general public, but it's not as uncommon as you would think.

To answer your questions,
1- About 40 years
2- I'm confident in my skills and preps, but everything constantly evolves, from planning to supplies, to learning new things every day. I'll never be completed satisfied that I've ever truly covered all the bases, but I rest better at night knowing that I at least have a better chance because I've done something.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Start slow, think about what you need, what you're trying to do, and spend your dollars wisely. You'll get there soon enough. Good luck, and everyone here will help you!

Arklatex
07-29-2014, 12:19 PM
I've been focused on it for a few years now. Some of the things you mentioned are activities a lot of us learned from a young age. For instance: hunting and fishing is a tradition in my family. We all started out young and continue to pass on the knowledge to our children. Also gardening. My grandparents would force all of us kids to go out and do the heavy work in their veggie patch. But we learned a lot about gardening that way. Plus we got to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Prepping on a budget is doable too. A little bit here and there adds up quite a bit in the long run. Just keep at it.

Pauls
07-29-2014, 07:48 PM
I have been "prepping" since 1968. In the mid 70's I was putting on classes on urban "survival". The small group we were a part of were ready to "bug out" when Mt. St. Helens erupted. A little time spent watching the weather kept us safe from the ash cloud that hit eastern Washington.

pheniox17
07-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Been "prepping" for more than 10 years

Only knew the term "prepping" for the last year

My original outlook was based on government response, and the fact I live in a moderate risk area (major threats are natural) and a slight invasion risk (ww3, in my opinion whoever controls Australia will win the next global scale conventional war)

but when it comes to a lot of guys here I'm still a noob, a massive amount of concepts I never knew existed...

The aus government has a good track record when it comes to disaster response, but I prefer not to goto a evac centre after seeing Katrina (on the news) and I refuse to be the one on tellie crying that I can't feed my kids (Townsville had a cat 4 cyclone warning, turned out to be a cat 1 @ landfall)

machinejjh
07-29-2014, 08:20 PM
It has only been about 2 years for me. It has been tough to maintain, but the wife and I are all in. Our stores were put to the test last month, and it carried us through. We have a long way to go, but we'll get there.

HuntingHawk
07-30-2014, 03:27 AM
Since 1973 after returning from Nam.

OSFG
07-30-2014, 06:22 AM
For me it's about one year of actual forethought and intent. My military training along with survival training and other skills acquired as a function of my life are supportive of that endeavor and I've always run through certain scenarios. But it wasn't until this year I thought about the need to begin to prepare for more than a few days of "emergency" situations.

Nightshade
07-30-2014, 10:59 AM
been about 6 years for me of actually thinking about it in terms of preparing for a social meltdown. been in the boy scouts, camped my entire life since i was a small boy. Now I mostly read and go primitive camping and hiking..been backpacking many times too. for me prepping is not about how many guns you got stored or how much ammo or how much food. for my reality it is knowing how to do certain things like make fire out of reflection or friction for example...how to find edible plants, how to procure water when there seems to be none around and so on.

I eat ramen too lol excellent prep there..i make fried rice with spam too....red beans and rice..there are tons of poor people food that is good. cabbage is one of my go to foods because it is cheap and loaded with vitamins.

machinejjh
07-30-2014, 11:32 AM
been about 6 years for me of actually thinking about it in terms of preparing for a social meltdown. been in the boy scouts, camped my entire life since i was a small boy. Now I mostly read and go primitive camping and hiking..been backpacking many times too. for me prepping is not about how many guns you got stored or how much ammo or how much food. for my reality it is knowing how to do certain things like make fire out of reflection or friction for example...how to find edible plants, how to procure water when there seems to be none around and so on.

I eat ramen too lol excellent prep there..i make fried rice with spam too....red beans and rice..there are tons of poor people food that is good. cabbage is one of my go to foods because it is cheap and loaded with vitamins.
Same here with regards to "po-people" food. With the right spices, even dirt can taste good.

big paul
07-30-2014, 11:44 AM
as a "prepper" since 9/11 so about 14 years, but I was brought up by WW2 parents in an age before supermarkets, double glazing and central heating, they always have a fully stocked food larder-never ran out of anything and bought stuff when it was cheap or on offer, so I suppose you could say a lifetime. I was taught fishing and shooting by my dad and my mother(a farmers daughter) brought out my love of the countryside, nature and growing stuff.

TiredNurse
07-30-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm one of the life timers also. My mom didn't farm but was a farmers daughter and we often had a small garden of some sort. We lived in town but my Grandparents had a farm and that is where I spent a lot of my time learning. they have acres of garden, and a dairy set up. I learned the basics of canning working beside my grandma, and the ethics of hard work from my grandpa. I learned to expand on this knowledge as an adult and have always been kind of stubborn and wouldn't listen when people tell me I cant do something. I figure out a way to do it anyway.
I had this same conversation with someone else yesterday. You just can't do it all overnight. learning takes time. acquiring the equipment needed for food storage takes money. start small and keep adding to both what you have but more importantly to what you know.
Unfortunately you are limited in a lot of ways because you rent but there are still things you can work on.
As you get into things like gardening and food storage you will be amazed at home much money you are saving that could go towards other parts of your preps. example.... for every can of green beans you buy at the store, I can grow 2 times as many in my garden and pay for the jar to can them in.
I also buy when I see something on sale. If it is something I am able to can, I can it even if I'm told it's not possible to do so. If it can be dehydrated I do that to. I learned what I do by experimenting and lots of trial and error.
Hunting and fishing are my recreational activities. Much more satisfying to bring home free meat and fish than wasting money watching stupid waste of time movies and other entertainment that is supposed to be fun.

omegabrock
07-31-2014, 12:00 PM

i couldnt agree more about it being more than just guns and ammo. shows like 'doomsday prepper' would have you think that is all you need. my ultimate goal is to be a semi-homestead with the ability to live off of my own resources if needed to. 1 step at a time

omegabrock
07-31-2014, 12:03 PM
as a "prepper" since 9/11 so about 14 years, but I was brought up by WW2 parents in an age before supermarkets, double glazing and central heating, they always have a fully stocked food larder-never ran out of anything and bought stuff when it was cheap or on offer, so I suppose you could say a lifetime. I was taught fishing and shooting by my dad and my mother(a farmers daughter) brought out my love of the countryside, nature and growing stuff.

double glazing? you mean, like a doughnut with frosting and then another coating of chocolate?

omegabrock
07-31-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm one of the life timers also. My mom didn't farm but was a farmers daughter and we often had a small garden of some sort. We lived in town but my Grandparents had a farm and that is where I spent a lot of my time learning. they have acres of garden, and a dairy set up. I learned the basics of canning working beside my grandma, and the ethics of hard work from my grandpa. I learned to expand on this knowledge as an adult and have always been kind of stubborn and wouldn't listen when people tell me I cant do something. I figure out a way to do it anyway.
I had this same conversation with someone else yesterday. You just can't do it all overnight. learning takes time. acquiring the equipment needed for food storage takes money. start small and keep adding to both what you have but more importantly to what you know.
Unfortunately you are limited in a lot of ways because you rent but there are still things you can work on.
As you get into things like gardening and food storage you will be amazed at home much money you are saving that could go towards other parts of your preps. example.... for every can of green beans you buy at the store, I can grow 2 times as many in my garden and pay for the jar to can them in.
I also buy when I see something on sale. If it is something I am able to can, I can it even if I'm told it's not possible to do so. If it can be dehydrated I do that to. I learned what I do by experimenting and lots of trial and error.
Hunting and fishing are my recreational activities. Much more satisfying to bring home free meat and fish than wasting money watching stupid waste of time movies and other entertainment that is supposed to be fun.

i guess i should start looking into food storage more, i wasnt aware there was additional equipment i needed. just thought it was jars mainly. it is good to hear that growing and canning your own is a lot cheaper than store bought...plus im sure the taste is worth it's weight.

Slippy
07-31-2014, 12:14 PM
i guess i should start looking into food storage more, i wasnt aware there was additional equipment i needed. just thought it was jars mainly. it is good to hear that growing and canning your own is a lot cheaper than store bought...plus im sure the taste is worth it's weight.

We have native blackberry bushes by the thousands here at Slippy Lodge. Mrs Slippy has spent the past few weeks collecting and canning some of the best blackberry preserves you will ever taste...for pennies on the dollar compared to store bought.

Omega, Look into mylar bags and Oxygen absorbers for an inexpensive way to start a food storage program.

omegabrock
07-31-2014, 12:19 PM
will do slippy. i have heard of mylar, but i never took the time to check it out. adding it to my research list now

big paul
07-31-2014, 12:19 PM
double glazing? you mean, like a doughnut with frosting and then another coating of chocolate?

no dumbnuts, 2 panes of glass with a gap in between!!! you mean you don't have double glazing in the good old USA??:groinkick:

omegabrock
07-31-2014, 12:22 PM
yeah, lol...different terminology. we call it double pained. im just wanting some doughnuts right now

big paul
07-31-2014, 12:29 PM
yeah, lol...different terminology. we call it double pained. im just wanting some doughnuts right now

i think it was Winston Churchill who said we are "2 countries SEPERATED by a common language", so many different meanings for the same thing!! cant stand doughnuts myself...i prefer a pasty (cooked meat and potato and turnips wrapped in pastry) a Devon and Cornwall speciality.

omegabrock
07-31-2014, 12:40 PM
a pasty sounds pretty good. here, strippers wear pasties to cover their nipples

Slippy
07-31-2014, 02:08 PM
will do slippy. i have heard of mylar, but i never took the time to check it out. adding it to my research list now

There are a bunch of good videos on YouTube, here's one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk9b0dAtJ80

RWalls
07-31-2014, 02:11 PM
I am a Georgia redneck who was raised Mormon. That should pretty much sum it up!

I am one of the only males in my age group that I know of that knows how to can food.
I learned canning at a very young age.

I've hunted, fished and trapped animals my whole life.
My mom taught us how to put up food at a young age and we had emergency plans.

When you grow up like that with other Mormons you just think it's normal life, which it is normal for me.

Now it's just been named "prepping" which actually I hate that name.

Of course ever since the housing bubble burst I did ramp things up quite a bit. I started buying gold and silver. 5 gallon buckets of food everywhere.

I guess I've started getting more serious about it since Obama took over.

1moretoy
07-31-2014, 03:19 PM
a pasty sounds pretty good. here, strippers wear pasties to cover their nipples

Only the modest ones do though:girldancer:

Kanman
07-31-2014, 07:13 PM
I have been prepping for about 15 years now. the main thing to remember is that you are never done prepping, you can never learn enough, and just by knowing that you need to prep gives you a big edge over the brainless. Just start a little at a time, and you will be surprised at how fast it builds. Good luck.

Montana Rancher
08-09-2014, 11:24 PM
how long has everybody been prepping? i see some posts and i'm filled with envy and jealousy which fuels my determination. i know most of yall have been in the game for a long time, but how long has it taken fo yall to be what you consider established? i know there are always improvements that can be made and new preps/toys to acquire but i would say a lot of yall have a great foundation and are far more prepared for any shtf scenario than most of the population and even other like minded people that are preparing.

i see people with talk about the guns and ammo they have, while i am busting ass to stay stocked in enough ammo to stay proficient in using my weapons.

i see people with so much knowledge of food stores, canning and jarring that i get overwhelmed just reading the threads.

i see people with so much hunting experience (and everything that goes with that) and i want to spend all day, every day learning and the rest of the time out in the woods honing those skills.

gardening and living independently, i can't even get into words.

i am extremely driven and when i get something in my head, i don't stop until i get where i want. i know this might come across as "omg i will never get there" but it's the opposite. seeing yall talk with the expertise yall have only motivates me more but i am wondering
1- how long did it take yall to get where you are?
2- how long did it take for yall to be somewhat confident in what you have, along with your skills?

i feel that i would last longer than a majority of the population, but i am not overconfident i would last long if shtf today. i would not give myself much longer than the completely oblivious citizen. maybe a couple of weeks, but i can admit that i am nowhere near prepared what i should be.

some things i do now, i am saving water and canned goods (along with ramen). i keep a certain amount of ammo, although it is still extremely limited. i explain things to my family. my wife knows the long term goals and she thinks i am crazy but she supports because she sees the value in prepping for natural disasters (we live in tornado alley) and she enjoys sending some rounds down range...my thanks for the post on the other forum about "how to introduce my wife without sounding crazy" and all of the input there. i feel extremely limited right now because i am still renting a house in the suburbs, trying to rebuild my credit so that i can take out a loan and build a house on some good land...so funds are very limited on extra things that don't help us get through the month to next paycheck.

Imo

1/3 of your chance to survive is based upon the backstock you have in beans, bullets and bandaids.

1/3 is based upon the skills you have to respond

the last 1/3 is your location, the farther you are away from masses of people the better.

It really isn't more complicated than that and I've been doing this for about 20 years.

Pauls
08-10-2014, 06:15 PM
As in most things your attitude can override some shortcomings of being prepared. Your need to survive is the biggest factor in all situations.

I would modify the above numbers to this: 1/6 on stores; 1/6 on skills; 1/6 on location and 1/2 on your will to survive.

Montana Rancher
08-10-2014, 11:41 PM
As in most things your attitude can override some shortcomings of being prepared. Your need to survive is the biggest factor in all situations.

I would modify the above numbers to this: 1/6 on stores; 1/6 on skills; 1/6 on location and 1/2 on your will to survive.

Sounds like a quote from a guy with little stores, little skills and who sits in a bad location.

About the other half you seem golden.

Inor
08-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Imo

1/3 of your chance to survive is based upon the backstock you have in beans, bullets and bandaids.

1/3 is based upon the skills you have to respond

the last 1/3 is your location, the farther you are away from masses of people the better.

It really isn't more complicated than that and I've been doing this for about 20 years.

I would only modify your percentages slightly Rancher:

1/4 on your stores

1/4 on your skills

1/4 on your location

1/4 on God's will or pure dumb luck (for you heathen Godless animals. :D)

Denton
08-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Double paned. Double pained is the result of my two divorces.

Coppertop
08-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Double paned. Double pained is the result of my two divorces.

Right there with ya

omegabrock
08-11-2014, 10:31 AM
haha...i was thinking that after i typed it but said oh well...yall know what i meant :P

Denton
08-11-2014, 11:05 AM
haha...i was thinking that after i typed it but said oh well...yall know what i meant :P

Yes, but the Grammar Nazi is always vigilant.

Besides, I had to type the humor that popped in my head.

rice paddy daddy
08-11-2014, 12:46 PM
My wife and I were raised by parents who went through the Great Depression and then WWII. The so called "prepper lifestyle" is the way we were brought up.
Make do and do without. Grow food if possible. Buy lots of canned goods WHEN they are on sale. I can remember as a child having to unwrap birthday and Christmas gifts very carefully so the paper could be re-used.
Try to fix something yourself instead of discarding it and buying another.

As far as guns, I was taught to shoot at age 5, and given my very own rifle at age 10. I'm going to be 66 in two months, so that's a long time to have been building my collection.

We got rid of our credit cards around 1985. If we can't pay cash, we don't need it. The exception was the farm - we certainly didn't have THAT much cash. But we worked hard and paid extra when we could and the mortgage is paid off.

We have been keeping chickens for almost twenty years now, fresh eggs are the best and there are birds processed and in the freezer.

No, this didn't happen all overnight. And it required sacrifice on our part, but hey, that's how we were raised.
Even today, when canned corn or green beans or tomatoes or whatever is on sale for say, two cans/dollar, we buy several CASES. The wife dehydrates the blackberries that grow on our property like weeds, a friend has a farm that grows blueberries and we get them cheap. Another friend gives me a deer's worth of meat each year and with just the two of us that lasts a long time.
I could ramble on, but nobody wants to read a whole book on Answered Prayers Farm.