PDA

View Full Version : Homemade animal traps and snares

Just Sayin'
07-31-2014, 05:30 PM
There are probably a lot of traps or snares that have been used over the years that are made out of what is readily available that we've never seen or heard of.

One that comes to mind for me, and would work really well here in the mid-south, is a turtle trap. A friends Dad told me how to make it, to rid my pond of turtles, but it would also work well to gather them for a food source.

It's simple, quiet, and effective. It's not as much fun as shooting them with a .22, but considering the scarcity of that ammo right now, this is something to put back in the memory bank for when you are hungry. Turtles are good eating too.

Basically, you take a log and nail fishhooks with small brads to the log in staggered lines along the length of the log. Attach a rope to one end and a rock or weight at the other end to keep it from floating into the bank and put it into the water. As turtles crawl up on the log to sun themselves, they get hooked and as others climb on the log rotates and drowns them.

Who else has a trap or snare setup that can be made from common materials and is easy to construct? Share it with us!

Sparkyprep
07-31-2014, 06:21 PM
I make simple survival snares out of thin stainless cable from Home Depot. Also, we make our own hog traps from bull paneling, and galvanized tie wire. The door is simply cantilevered, so that it only opens in, and not out. Very low-tech, but effective. I've caught hundreds of hogs this way.

1moretoy
07-31-2014, 06:56 PM
6" Plastic PVC pipe buried into the ground at a 45* angle and left open at ground level with food in the bottom is great for trapping armadillos. They go in head first after the food but can't back up the slick incline.

OSFG
07-31-2014, 07:07 PM
Here is a figure 4 trigger and a field expedient cage. I learned from Brian over at another site. I knew the figure 4 but not the field expedient cage. I took my kids camping last weekend and this took me 10 minutes to make the figure 4 trigger and my sons put the cage together with sticks they found in the wood around where we were camping. It's about the right size for a small turkey or a big rabbit but a little loose. We should have tied it tighter. But the cage took only 10 minutes to construct while I made the trigger.

it actually worked like a charm! Kids loved it.

RWalls
07-31-2014, 08:17 PM

Here's a beaver in a snare I made out of aircraft cable, fender washer and a ferrule. Anchor it with rebar.

Coyote in a leghold.

Just Sayin'
08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
6" Plastic PVC pipe buried into the ground at a 45* angle and left open at ground level with food in the bottom is great for trapping armadillos. They go in head first after the food but can't back up the slick incline.

What does possum on a half shell taste like?

1moretoy
08-02-2014, 04:07 AM
What does possum on a half shell taste like?

This is a method my FIL used to catch them at his lake home. They were destroying his yard. None were eaten in the process.

Just Sayin'
08-02-2014, 09:43 AM

What did they use for the bait?

1moretoy
08-02-2014, 05:59 PM
What did they use for the bait?

Mostly cabbage