PDA

View Full Version : How to Grind Acorns into Flour (and Make Pancakes Out of It)

hawgrider
10-16-2017, 05:30 AM
When I was 11 or 12 years old, I read a book called My Side of the Mountain It’s a story about a 15 year old boy who runs away from his home in New York City to live in the Catskill Mountains. He lives in the wilderness for a whole year, surviving off the land. One of the things he did while out in the woods was grind acorn flour, and make pancakes with it. I remember reading that at the time and wanting to try it. Well, 30 years later, I have finally gone through the process and can now say that I’ve also made pancakes out of acorn flour.
The process for making flour out of acorns isn’t actually very difficult, but it is time consuming and a little tedious at times.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/how-to-grind-acorns-into-flour-and-make-pancakes-out-it

https://www.outdoorlife.com/g00/3_c-5eee.wcblwwztqnm.kwu_/c-5UWZMXPMCA09x24pbbx78ax3ax2fx2feee.wcblwwztqnm.kwu x2faqbmax2fwcblwwztqnm.kwux2fnqtmax2fabgtmax2f433_ 9f_x2fx78cjtqkx2fquiomax2f0895x2f87x2f99-ikwzv-ntwcz-x78ivkisma.rx78ox3fqbwsx3dfgdJUbf4x26q98k.uizs.qui om.bgx78m_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$

Unclefred
10-16-2017, 10:28 AM
The acorns on my place taste ok, like slightly bland filberts. You have to beat the worms too them though.

hawgrider
10-16-2017, 10:49 AM
The acorns on my place taste ok, like slightly bland filberts. You have to beat the worms too them though.

Pretty sure the white oak acorns are the best. The red oak acorns are more bitter.

Plus the whitetail deer prefer the the white oak acorns so how could they be wrong? :D

Unclefred
10-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Pretty sure the white oak acorns are the best. The red oak acorns are more bitter.

Plus the whitetail deer prefer the the white oak acorns so how could they be wrong? :D

It's white oaks out here. The blacktails love em too. It's pretty hard to hunt the oaks though. It seems most oaks are on private property, the public land has fewer deer.

BucketBack
06-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Red, White, Black, and some Pin Oaks. Some Maple and Oaks haven't leafed out yet. So the mast crop is questionable again this season.

Usually it's like walking on marbles out here