PDA

View Full Version : Homestead Layout Plans on 1 Acre or Less

hawgrider
10-25-2017, 05:25 AM
You want to start homesteading but don’t have a lot of land? Lack of land is one of the biggest excuses that I hear from people who’d like to become more self-sufficient but just don’t get started.

I hear you, because I also used to believe that homesteading required tons of land!
https://www.primalsurvivor.net/1-acre-tiny-homestead-layouts/

Innkeeper
10-25-2017, 09:33 AM
https://www.primalsurvivor.net/1-acre-tiny-homestead-layouts/

Thanks that gives me some great research info, because I only have 1 acre right now, but I have been doing little gardens so far trying to figure out what works, and I only have a few fruit trees still young had a few cherries last year but none this year, I blame a late frost.
But this gives me some places to go for already tested ideas thanks Hawg hopefully things remain calm until I graduate at least so I can have more time to try different ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BucketBack
10-26-2017, 08:33 PM
I blame the birds for no cherries

Innkeeper
10-27-2017, 10:07 AM
I blame the birds for no cherries

Thing is I never even got a bloom this year we got a few early warm spells followed be a late cold snap. I lost most of my cherries last year to deer, the birds never stick around thanks to two very excitable bird dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge7402
10-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Depending on the size of your fahmily a 40 x 40 plot as a garden should provide you with a good deal of your vegetables needs. I'd stick with beans, peppers and cabbage as vegies that need very little effort to provide a lot of food.

Coppertop
12-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Seems to me that being self sufficient with these lay outs requires a couple of things. First, a couple of growing seasons. Up here in the north, we get one season that lasts 4 months and then we are done. Not much grows when we are at -10. I know you can the veggies you don't eat right away, but there is still a finite amount you can grow. Second, good soil. I have worked for 3 years to get the soil in my garden straightened out and I am thinking next year should finally have good growing potential.

I am going to say is that with everything in such a small area, if any bugs get in, or anything fails to produce for whatever reason- you are in trouble. That being said, using your resources to the highest potential is a great deal. Having as much land as you can feasibly get and utilize, makes things much safer. Gardening 200 acres is just infeasible in my opinion.

TJC44
12-17-2017, 10:42 AM
CT,
I have to agree with you there.
I can't IMAGINE farming 200 acres. I am on a 1/4 acre suburban plot, I also have crap soil that I am trying to convert.
2017 sucked for gardening, I'm hoping 2018 goes better. I am also going to try some blueberries and strawberries, but I know strawberries are hard to grow here. Then there are the tree rats...

Sparkyprep
12-17-2017, 04:58 PM
Honestly, my 20 acres is a LOT to take care of, constantly, even with a strong, knowledgeable woman like Mrs. Sparky helping. People who don't own a large-ish piece of land do NOT understand how much work is involved in maintain such a piece of land.

Walter Tyler
05-03-2018, 09:38 AM
So I was out Tillin the Garden Patch yesterday and Saw THIS:

Damn thing was caught IN the woven wire... Back up against the POST, DOWNHILL.
We had to cut her out, and pull [1500#s] around up hill so she could get back up on her feet.
Lucklily she had been there a while and was tired and catatonic... so there wasnt much kickin goin on.

Im thinkin of talkin the neighbor into goats... lol

Back on the Tractor:

Yes, most folks have NO IDEA how much WORK sustainable living can be. No matter HOW many acres you own.