Thread: What Happens When You Eat Nothing but MREs

What Happens When You Eat Nothing but MREs

Ah, MREs. Meals Rejected by Ethiopians. Meals Rejected by the Enemy. Meals Rejected by Everyone. It actually stands for Meals, Ready to Eat, which has been described as “Three lies for the price of one” – it’s not a meal, it’s not ready and you can’t eat it.

Of course, soldiers love to complain about their rations, and the truth is that MREs aren’t too bad. Some of the menu items are real horrors, but most are reasonably edible and nothing’s as bad as the old C-Ration ham and lima beans. There’s plenty of energy in MREs, too. Overall they’re a pretty good combat ration.

The same things that make them a good combat ration also make them popular with preppers. MREs are sturdy, energy-dense, can be eaten without preparation and have a long shelf life. If you’re looking for an emergency food reserve they’re an obvious choice. However,
    http://www.askaprepper.com/happens-eat-nothing-mres/
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

MI.oldguy (11-23-2017),Ricekila (11-22-2017),RubberDuck (11-23-2017),Unclefred (11-22-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,318 Times in 6,025 Posts

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't remember ever eating a MRE, but a few are MIA.
    But a couple 3 of these and who knows?
    Last edited by BucketBack; 11-23-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: fixed jibberish

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (11-23-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,186 Times in 4,307 Posts
    I ate everything offered to me from Australia to Alaska, . . . almost Cambodia (up the river in Vietnam) to Wash DC, . . . Army, Navy, Air Force, . . . C rats, K rats, B rats, . . . maybe even REAL rats.

Loved the "monkey meat" on the sticks in Olongapo, . . . beep steak an sahlad on the economy, . . . as well as fresh baked french bread, . . . local bananas, . . . or eating out of the community bowl in a downtown Vietnam version of a buffet.

Never really had a problem with much of any of it, . . . but I only tried the ham and limas once, . . . and that was twice too many.

I was fortunate, . . . lots of guys around me didn't have the constitution the Good Lord gave this ol' redneck.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-23-2017),Ricekila (11-23-2017),RubberDuck (11-23-2017),shootbrownelk (11-23-2017),Slippy (11-23-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Hey I have good ones and bad, and learned ways to add to those meals and make them better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

OSFG (11-23-2017),RubberDuck (11-23-2017),shootbrownelk (11-23-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    We had some of the first ones in the early 80's....I could have done better in a dumpster full of garbage.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-23-2017),Ricekila (11-23-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    We had some of the first ones in the early 80's....I could have done better in a dumpster full of garbage.
    Yeah I remember the dehydrated beef and pork patties as a whole they sucked, but over in Korea in the late 80’s we would break them up and add them to ramen noodles, then when it was done cooking you add some of the cheese pack and it was not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    With enough Hot sauce...you don't notice bad meals...just really hot ones. My dreaded enemy was the Tuna with Noodle. I got one that hd opened inside the main MRE back.... That smell puffed out at me as soon as I cut the bag open and I threw up and could never eat those damn noodles again. CHicken Ala King was the bomb with lots of Hot sauce and Cheese. Beef patty with saved ketchup packets. And those damn bars of compressed saw dust they called oatmeal cookies. Like a bad version of Elfin bread. One bite will dehydrate you for two days. The hot dog links sucked but not as bad as the Tuna with Noodle.

I loved the LRP meals. Chili con Carnie, Spaghetti, Beef Stroganoff.

Frickin Humanitarian meals are just a bunch of beans and grains like Wild Pilaf.... as tastless as a joke about Hellen Keller.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (11-23-2017),Innkeeper (11-24-2017),Inor (11-24-2017),MI.oldguy (11-24-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Diced turkey with gravy wasn't too bad.mash in the potato patty and heat properly,seems like the gravy was made by mama congeelyoni we used to say.
    put the jelly on the maplenut bar and then you had something.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (11-24-2017),Innkeeper (11-24-2017),OSFG (11-24-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    Diced turkey with gravy wasn't too bad.mash in the potato patty and heat properly,seems like the gravy was made by mama congeelyoni we used to say.
    put the jelly on the maplenut bar and then you had something.
    Almost forgot that one..It was a great menu.

But word to the wise...Eating nothing but MRE's for more than a couple weeks will absolutely ruin any thoughts of superiority...(i.e. your shit don't stink!!!) cause after that...you yourself will begin to notice exactly how bad it does. And God help your significant other to maintain love in their hear for you after enduring your nasty ass odor.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-26-2017),MI.oldguy (11-25-2017)